• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo and The Pokémon Company are Suing Palworld Creator

Pocketpair.jpg

On September 18th, 2024 Nintendo announced some major legal news. Both Nintendo and The Pokémon Company have taken legal action against Pocketpair, Inc. Together they filed a Patent Infringement Lawsuit in the Tokyo District Court. They allege that Pocketpair’s game, Palworld, infringes upon multiple of their patent rights.

As for Palworld, it released on Janaury 19th, 2024 and became a massive success overnight. The game managed to garner a gargantuan 25 million players in its first month. It's an open-world monster collecting RPG, with sandbox mechanics and most surprisingly, firearms. Additionally, the game's developer, Pocketpair recently responded with a statement of their own. In it they claim they're unaware of which patents they're allegedly infringing upon. Pocketpair also claims to have not been notified on the key details as of this moment.

Credits:
Editing & Writing: Zerp Zerp
Thumbnail Graphic: Zerp Zerp
Social: Zerp Zerp

Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

This is a type of practical idiocy I don't think I've seen from a major corporation before. I've seen corporations be evil before, I've seen them be uninformed about things that seem obvious outside of the capitalist bubble, I've seen their power be outsmarted by smaller entities, but I've never seen them just... come up with a stupid plan for something easy to win - in this case, going after patents in a game that is heavily suspected to have used stolen art assets. Owning a gun but walking into a knife fight with bare fists.

I will admit that because I don’t know the full extent of what Nintendo’s patented I might not be able to speak definitively but being able to patent gameplay mechanics is a genuinely awful precedent. Maybe it could be excusable in the days where video games were thought of more like toys and companies had to make their own hardware to make games, but now it feels akin to patenting a film technique or a musical genre.

I completly get copyright and support it!
Creating and owning your own characters is just fair! Its also automatic and free!
Patents however especially for simple or general things can go **** themselves!
A company called telekom literally just patented MAGENTA!

I will admit that because I don’t know the full extent of what Nintendo’s patented I might not be able to speak definitively but being able to patent gameplay mechanics is a genuinely awful precedent. Maybe it could be excusable in the days where video games were thought of more like toys and companies had to make their own hardware to make games, but now it feels akin to patenting a film technique or a musical genre.
It's unfortunately been done before with stuff like the Nemesis System and the Crazy Taxi arrow. Regardless, seeing Nintendo win a suit like this over something as vague as throwing an object at a character in a video game would be especially concerning. Palworld may be a derivative asset flip that only got by on pure shock value for a week or two, but I'm rooting against Nintendo here as much as the next guy.

Last edited:
Something interesting I've seen going around is that apparently much of the patents filed and held by early video game companies, Japanese ones included were largely to prevent outsider/non-gaming companies from grabbing and misusing them. Essentially many developers get patent rights but don't largely enforce them against each other (infamous examples like Namco's loading screen minigame aside) with the understanding that it's to everyone's benefit that the proverbial sword remains sheathed. The speculation then becomes what exactly has Pocket Pair done for Nintendo to actually step and file suit when there are loads of Pokémon adjacent games they've never done any legal action against?

While the common response has been a combination of pettiness about Palword's success and/or a desire to hold down any competition to one of their biggest first parties, there's also some wondering if there's a strong belief by Nintendo about Pocket Pair not acting in good faith with the game (either due to mechanics or character designs). So much so that Nintendo is patent enforcing to make it very clear about what they'll allow when it comes to infringing on their ownerships and breaking the perceived good faith agreement. Basically, it's less about taking down Palworld and more telling various developers "This is the line, don't cross it".

I have no idea if this is true, but it is an interesting wrinkle to this whole story.

Last edited:
Top Bottom