• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo 3DS

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I am gonna decide for myself how Nintendo's network works. I don't care how good they make it look good on paper. Fundamentally speaking, if I can't play my next Smash game with little to no lag, I'm gonna be disappointed.
Since Namco is helping to make it, hopefully they can give Nintendo the know how to make online connections great. (Tekken Tag Tournament 2 has really good online.)
Even though Sakurai is in complete control of the game, hopefully he understands that online needs to be as flawless as it can be.

:phone:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's not just about Namco making the next Smash. I was just giving Smash as an example. Fundamentally speaking, all Nintendo games with online play should have a good online service.

finalark

SNORLAX
It's not just about Namco making the next Smash. I was just giving Smash as an example. Fundamentally speaking, all Nintendo games with online play should have a good online service.
I think in this day and age the kind of treatment Nintendo has been giving online play is pretty unacceptable. The penultimate example being the godawful lag in Brawl's online mode. I had a smoother online experience playing Phantasy Star Online on Dial-Up than I ever did playing Brawl on Broadband.

Honestly, this all comes from Nintendo firmly standing by the belief that online play was going to be a fad back in the GC era.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I think in this day and age the kind of treatment Nintendo has been giving online play is pretty unacceptable. The penultimate example being the godawful lag in Brawl's online mode. I had a smoother online experience playing Phantasy Star Online on Dial-Up than I ever did playing Brawl on Broadband.

Honestly, this all comes from Nintendo firmly standing by the belief that online play was going to be a fad back in the GC era.
Yeah, but I am pretty sure they now know it is no longer a fad. They are starting to understand the importance of an online service, and hopefully this understanding translates into their games as well.

Or at least we hope they understand.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I just got a 3DS as a late birthday present. A black, normal sized one.
I am a very happy person right now.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Nice! Make sure to have something between the screens so it doesn't scratch.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Welcome to the party. You have any games that you have and/or interested in?

Don't have any 3DS games yet, but the main games that I want to get (or get when they come out) are Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Luigi's Mansion 2, Kingdom Hearts: DDD, Kid Icarus Uprising, Super Mario 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros 2 (I need to stay up to date with Mario crap even though I'm reluctant to get NSMB2), aaaaaaaaaaaand that's it for now.

EDIT: Oh, and a bunch of the virtual console games. Mystical Ninja starring Goemon is a big one, along with the NES classics.

finalark

SNORLAX
Kingdom Hearts: DDD
Honestly, don't get it for its full $40 dollar asking price. Wait until its a little cheaper, it's really not a satisfying game for its price tag.

Speaking of Mario, I'm gonna get up on my soapbox here. Honestly, Nintendo milking nostalgia for all its worth via easy to make 2D titles has made the series gone stale for me. Nintendo's refusal to evolve the franchise or move outside of tradition has just made me very apathetic towards Mario.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Same here.

New super Mario bros 2 has nothing new so I refuse to buy it for the 3ds.
If it had online co-op or a level editor I'd buy it in an instant.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Same here.

New super Mario bros 2 has nothing new so I refuse to buy it for the 3ds.
If it had online co-op or a level editor I'd buy it in an instant.
Its like what Egoraptor and JonTron say about New Super Mario Bros: its fun to play, but it has no soul of its own.

finalark

SNORLAX
I wouldn't have an issue with Nintendo doing an a nostalgic throw back for Mario but its the fact that recent that's all that Nintendo is interested in doing.

It doesn't help that every time I've played a NSMB game it feels like I'm playing the same exact old Mario games I played as a kid. That might be a plus for some people but IMO if you want to relive your old favorites you might as well just go back and play those games. I mean, remaking old games is one thing but putting out something that feels like the same-old-same-old and labeling it as "new" is another.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I wouldn't have an issue with Nintendo doing an a nostalgic throw back for Mario but its the fact that recent that's all that Nintendo is interested in doing.
Except you know, the two Galaxy games and 3D Land...

I don't know, I really don't see the problem with the NSMB games, they were never meant to revolutionize things, just be fun throwbacks to the older games that kind of haven't been made in a long time. I haven't played the newest one, but the other two were fun imo, that's all that really matters anyways. :/

finalark

SNORLAX
Except you know, the two Galaxy games and 3D Land...
There's two galaxies and four NSMB. I can't say anything on 3D land because I haven't played too much of it outside of store demos.

And at that Galaxy 2 really did feel like an expansion pack to me.

I don't know, I really don't see the problem with the NSMB games, they were never meant to revolutionize things, just be fun throwbacks to the older games that kind of haven't been made in a long time. I haven't played the newest one, but the other two were fun imo, that's all that really matters anyways. :/
If it wasn't for the fact that that's all Nintendo has been doing with Mario I wouldn't really care. Its mostly that Nintendo knows it can bank on nostalgia to sell Mario titles and that's all its interested in doing. Why else would the tanooki tail be all over Mario 3D Land?

I don't know, Mario just doesn't evolve or even adapt modern game design. Instead Nintendo decides to rely off of tired and old design choices clearly tailored to arcades rather than home consoles. These days whenever Nintendo puts out a new Mario all I can think is "Whatever, I could just go back and play the old ones and game the same experience."

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Yeah, they were fun I guess. Luckily they're getting NSMB out of the way early with Wii U.
I like NSMB2 but that's probably because I didn't really play the ones before that a whole lot. I've recently tried NSMBWii and there is no way I would buy the one for Wii U.

3D Land is fun as well but my major gripe is that it's a really, really short and easy game. I was able to beat it and then beat it again without dying and with 100%.

+1 on Kid Icarus though, that's like a must have imo.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if you can say that Nintendo is dependent on the nostalgia factor when selling Mario games. I don't buy Mario games because I think Super Mario Bros. on the NES was a great game. I play Mario games because I know Nintendo invests a lot of effort on them and because they are, in fact, really well made games.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't know if you can say that Nintendo is dependent on the nostalgia factor when selling Mario games. I don't buy Mario games because I think Super Mario Bros. on the NES was a great game. I play Mario games because I know Nintendo invests a lot of effort on them and because they are, in fact, really well made games.
There are plenty of "well made" games, and possibly even better games that don't get as much love as Mario. Why is that?

Nostalgia. Marketing (Mario doesn't even have to market itself anymore), reviews, and brand name.

They have milked the **** out of Mario recently, and I'm surprised no one has brought up Mario/Sonic Olympics, Mario Sports series, with the only decline in games being made has been Mario Party.

The NSMB series is really old at this point. I mean, fun to play as co-op with some other friends, but I wouldn't drop 50 bucks for that. When you grow up, have to work or deal with college, co-op video games become rather hard to do.

Skyward Sword is another game people love simply due to its nostalgia factor. It's not a bad game by any means, but it's not a universal acclaim game either. It's a "good" game in the series, and that's about it. It gets the same treatment as Apple in regards to bringing things to the table, and getting praised for it when the tech/innovations existed a long *** time ago.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
If Nintendo refuses to make a new series at least give us one we haven't seen in a while.

Give us Metroid.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
There are plenty of "well made" games, and possibly even better games that don't get as much love as Mario. Why is that?

Nostalgia. Marketing (Mario doesn't even have to market itself anymore), reviews, and brand name.

They have milked the **** out of Mario recently, and I'm surprised no one has brought up Mario/Sonic Olympics, Mario Sports series, with the only decline in games being made has been Mario Party.

The NSMB series is really old at this point. I mean, fun to play as co-op with some other friends, but I wouldn't drop 50 bucks for that. When you grow up, have to work or deal with college, co-op video games become rather hard to do.

Skyward Sword is another game people love simply due to its nostalgia factor. It's not a bad game by any means, but it's not a universal acclaim game either. It's a "good" game in the series, and that's about it. It gets the same treatment as Apple in regards to bringing things to the table, and getting praised for it when the tech/innovations existed a long *** time ago.
I agree with you, Mario has been in far too many games. When I talk about good Mario games, I talk about SMB/2/3/World/64/Sunshine/Galaxy/Galaxy 2. There you have some really good games which I really enjoyed.

The spin-offs on the other hand... I think Mario Strikers Charged was a good game... NSMB on the DS is good and the Mario Kart games are great. I might have forgotten something...

I hear you regarding the precious quality time. It's slowly disappearing, thus you can only spend your gaming time with AAA games. Co-op is more interesting for kids, which I don't think should be taken away from them.

Skyward Sword was indeed affected by nostalgia. I have faithfully played all the Zelda games and enjoyed them all. However, I find that Skyward Sword lacks in too many aspects to be a game worth the overall Zelda standard.

And yes, we need a new Metroid. That would have been sweet.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Honestly, don't get it for its full $40 dollar asking price. Wait until its a little cheaper, it's really not a satisfying game for its price tag.

Speaking of Mario, I'm gonna get up on my soapbox here. Honestly, Nintendo milking nostalgia for all its worth via easy to make 2D titles has made the series gone stale for me. Nintendo's refusal to evolve the franchise or move outside of tradition has just made me very apathetic towards Mario.
Really? Thanks for the heads up, man.

Also, about Mario, I know. It really irks me that they do that.
In fact, it's the reason I refused to play NSMB or NSMB:Wii. It's just really meh.

The only reason I even considered getting the two I mentioned is because I currently have no games on my 3DS and it's just a bit better than nothing- but not by much.

EDIT: Oh there's an entire page I missed.
So I guess I'll be getting Kid Icarus as my first game, then. Thanks for your input guys! Hahaha.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
If Nintendo refuses to make a new series at least give us one we haven't seen in a while.

Give us Metroid.
YES! Metroid is by far, my favorite Nintendo series. We also need a new F-Zero and Custom Robo.

D

Deleted member

I'd be down for a new Custom Robo as well. I consider it one of Nintendo's more underrated IPs.

finalark

SNORLAX

Give us Metroid.
The Wii had two Metroid games, compared to how Nintendo treats most of its other non Zelda/Pokemon/Mario franchises that's pretty generous.

I want a new F-Zero.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Has anyone checked out the denpa men demo? It's actually pretty fun.

I have. It's really interesting actually. I mean, catching the denpa men was just a tad frustrating (small house, ended up spinning around and hitting stuff occasionally, no big deal though).
It's an interesting game.

There's a bunch of things I need to get from the eShop.
Mystical Ninja starring Goemon (virtual console) is a big one. Big Goemon fan since I was little.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
more than anything right now I want Nintendo to make a separate pedometer that you can plug your SD card into and get the steps from it.

Kinda like the pokewalker.

I dont like taking my 3DS with me in my pocket :/

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Etrian Odyssey IV finally got a localization announcement. I still want that Persona 2:EP announcement though, even though I already own the original.

Top Bottom