• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo 3DS

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
This could work. I see this not really being "yet another DS" but a new console in general, merely called DS for dual screens. I can see this working, and I'm so glad I didn't fall for the DSi Gimmick.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455

No idea. The comment was made by IGN based on reports from people working on games for the system. I personally doubt it but I wouldn't be shocked if graphic levels were past that of the wii. In fact, that would be amazing.
It would also be the first time in videogame history that a videogame company's handheld would surpass the power of their console.

...Hmmm

D

Deleted member

With a possible fantastic line-up, plus the 3DS interesting mechanics, I am extremely hyped up.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
3D Starfox... awesome. Good to know that Arwing in the E3 trailer actually meant they were making a game, and wasn't just a cute cameo.

finalark

SNORLAX
If Kid Icarus, Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Paper Mario, Star Fox 64, OoT and Mario Kart all end up as launch titles, this will be the most amazing line up since the Dreamcast launch.

UberMario

Smash Master
True, it looks amazing (especially since the 3D-ness can be adjusted with a slider), the only thing that looks a little odd is the top screen is much wider than the lower one.

kr3wman

Smash Master
If Kid Icarus, Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Paper Mario, Star Fox 64, OoT and Mario Kart all end up as launch titles, this will be the most amazing line up since the Dreamcast launch.
wait wait wait wait.

you're comparing those games (4 of which you already know will be too good) to hydro thunder, power stone, sonic adventure, soulcalibur?

I mean, yeah, good games, but sheesh.

The Drifter

Smash Journeyman
Feeling like I'm in Star Fox 64?

Sweet jeebus on a pizza pie, that'd be a dream come true.

finalark

SNORLAX
wait wait wait wait.

you're comparing those games (4 of which you already know will be too good) to hydro thunder, power stone, sonic adventure, soulcalibur?

I mean, yeah, good games, but sheesh.
Yeah? And? Can you think of any other system that had a launch as good as the one that I just described?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
The first Nintendo consol had Mario and Zelda.
PS2 had Metal Gear Solid 2.
Both of those trump every game on that list. Sonic Adventure? Really?

kr3wman

Smash Master
SNES had F-Zero and Super Mario World.

I mean, it's only two games, but still better than all the dreamcast launch titles lol.

edit : although the dreamcast was a great console though, don't get me wrong. Its libraby is amazing when you think about it. Too bad it was doomed to fail from the start.

finalark

SNORLAX
The first Nintendo consol had Mario and Zelda.
PS2 had Metal Gear Solid 2.
Both of those trump every game on that list. Sonic Adventure? Really?
Hate to burst your bubble, but the most notable games from the NES launch were Mario Bros., Duck Hunt and maybe Ice Climber.
PS2? Tekken Tag Tourney, Unreal Tourney, DoA 2 I guess, and that's really it.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The 3DS is fantastic. Honestly, I was expecting some sort of gimmicky upgraded DS with a little extra feature. Apparently I was wrong.

And yeah, the lineup is fantastic!

HANDHELD Oot and Paper Mario are the things I'm most into for the 3DS... I'm really interested in that Chain Chomp partner, I always felt it was wierd Mario never had a Chain Chomp or Blooper as a partner. (Luigi got a Blooper, but yeah)

Awesome!

kr3wman

Smash Master
All-star baseball
Batman Vengeance
Crazy Taxi
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX2
Tarzan untamed
Luigi's mansion
Madden 02
NHL Hitz 02
Rogue Squadron 2
Super Monkey Ball
Pro Skater 3
Wave Race Blue Storm

Sunshine came out the 26th of august 02, the GC came out nov 18 2001.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Looks like a powerfull device. Excited about the analog control for 3d adventures.

I think 3d view is overated though for gameplay. Essentially all your doing is zooming out the camera. Miyamoto said that it's hard to jump on a block in 3d space. Maybe but I wonder how 3d vision changes that (cause it's more about judging the correct distance and converting that to your input on the analog stick I think).

But we'll see what they can do with it.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
It looks like a solid upgrade for the DS regardless of 3d. The installments, graphics, additions and games look nice. So excited for this, lol. I wonder how much it will cost.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Miyamoto said that it's hard to jump on a block in 3d space. Maybe but I wonder how 3d vision changes that (cause it's more about judging the correct distance and converting that to your input on the analog stick I think).
You just answered yourself.

I wish I could do that sometimes.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
New Paper Mario, and it looks like they went back to the old fighting style. I'm happy now, and I may wanna actually get this 3DS. I only have a DS that I might switch for a Ds Lite because it's kinda shutting down and I still wanna play my GBA games.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
You just answered yourself.

I wish I could do that sometimes.
My point is that he blames that on the 3d image instead of the players ability to judge the distance and converting that to the right input on the analog stick. I don't see how 3d vision would make it easier. But we'll see.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Just thought I'd also point this out but Kid Icarus 3DS has voice acting that's, at least sound quality wise, actually of good quality. I guess that confirms that we'll be seeing a lot more voice acting on the 3DS compared to the DS.

kr3wman

Smash Master
My point is that he blames that on the 3d image instead of the players ability to judge the distance and converting that to the right input on the analog stick. I don't see how 3d vision would make it easier. But we'll see.
He was comparing it to 2D platformers where, when you see a gap, you instantly know if you can clear it or not (in good ones of course). In 3D games, in instances when you're running toward the screen or away, most of the time you won't be able to judge the exact distance you need to jump. You can easily see examples of this in some stages in Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
He was comparing it to 2D platformers where, when you see a gap, you instantly know if you can clear it or not (in good ones of course). In 3D games, in instances when you're running toward the screen or away, most of the time you won't be able to judge the exact distance you need to jump. You can easily see examples of this in some stages in Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy.
I know that. But like I said I don't think 3d vision will change that. It sounds like the equivalent to zooming out the camera so you can see more of the environment. I think the problem lies with the way you aim your jump using the analog stick but how does 3d vision make that any more intuitive?

Mewter

Smash Master
Having 3D vision actually helps you with your depth-perception.
Otherwise, the picture is really just a two-dimensional flat image, which is in effect the equivalent of covering one of your eyes when preparing to jump.

Of course, rotating the camera helps.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm mostly curious with the price of this thing at the moment. I can't see it being really expensive because it's Nintendo, but still.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm going to be 175. I can't see it being under 150, it's a fairly advanced device. I can't see it being more than a Wii though, because despite the technological advancements, 70% of the normal people would think: "May as well get a console."

I always loved Nintendo for being cheap, lol.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I'm going to be 175. I can't see it being under 150, it's a fairly advanced device. I can't see it being more than a Wii though, because despite the technological advancements, 70% of the normal people would think: "May as well get a console."

I always loved Nintendo for being cheap, lol.
This is why Sony focusing so much on their 3D games is one of their biggest mistakes. To even utilize the 3D you need a 3D TV and GLASSES. Only really rich people are going to even consider Move and 3D gaming. 3D TV's are 2 grand at the cheapest.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I don't get how Nintendo did it without glasses.. or expenses that will bankrupt them. I'm not uber-smart with technology, so I'm confused how they are even doing it.

And yeah, they need to just make good games and leave it at that.

Darkslash

Smash Master
I don't get how Nintendo did it without glasses.. or expenses that will bankrupt them. I'm not uber-smart with technology, so I'm confused how they are even doing it.

And yeah, they need to just make good games and leave it at that.
They're pretty much relying on Nature and your point of vision. Since you eye's collect 2 images instead of one, the 3DS uses a screen that produces 2 images, and those 2 images will combine to create the 3D effect. But it only works when you're perfectly alinged with the device.

Top Bottom