• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly I found nothing super exciting from Azula trailer, looks like she's a pretty basic fighter but with fire effecs thrown there. I still don't get why they didn't go with Zuko since he was easily one of the lost requested fighter.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Honestly I found nothing super exciting from Azula trailer, looks like she's a pretty basic fighter but with fire effecs thrown there. I still don't get why they didn't go with Zuko since he was easily one of the lost requested fighter.
Because more villains.

Also Azula's lightning ability.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I will say this, the Avatar characters got a hell of a glow up visually in this game compared to the first. Even their story mode renders look great.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There we go, so now that we have Azula, I guess we got showcases to look forward to

They didn't 'really' show how fast she is, I think she is interesting but as an aggressive character. And good thing there is lightning though they could have included it on more moves.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I'm gonna wait until we get her spotlight until I judge how "interesting" her moveset is; there's often more depth to a fighter that you can't always see from a short clip reel.

I'm just happy we can talk about the roster openly now that everyone we knew about has been officially revealed.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I wonder what’s gonna make Zuko stand out now if he were included, now that Azula’s move set is mostly fire based.
Simple. He can do something that she can't. Namely, he wields swords. We lost the only swordfighter that we had last game (Leo) so he would be a perfect replacement and be the first Avatar character who is not a pure bender.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Aside from having a miserable time getting the website to load, I think Azula looks...good I guess. I'll probably play her once or twice.

But man, what a B-tier avatar pick. I mean she she's an interesting an memorable character in her own series sure but when Zuko, Sokka, Katara got passed over and Toph got cut...I dunno.

I think she's the character that makes me question the creator's priorities the most. Sometimes you need leftfield picks like Gertie/Toastman/Ember to keep rosters interesting and diverse but Azula doesn't really feel like she especially stands out in that regard. It's just "that's Azula, yep".

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I disagree, when it comes to villains Azula is easily up there with the rest of the cast. Her only competition is Ozai, and i feel he is either too serious for the game or maybe not as interesting as Azula.
Agreed, Azula doesn't feel like a dull pick at all. I feel like just this trailer alone isn't going to give us a good enough idea on if she has any sort of gimmicks or deeper mechanics, but like, look at her animations, she's super expressive and full of personality!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Azula as a character is great and that's on full display here, but this showcase doesn't give me much hype here for Azula the fighter. She seems to only use lightning in one move, which is the main thing to set her apart from her brother

I still would've preferred Zuko, as he also has a great character and his swords I'm tandem with firebending would've been more interesting.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Azula is a great villain pick. Maybe not an overall popular character though so I can understand if there's some disappointments.

I think we might need the character showcase to see her more properly, and the others left.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
As much as I appreciate playable villains I think they might have overdone it. It's not that I think she's dull per se - it's just that I think she had some really harsh competition.

And as much as I hate beating a dead horse it's just really hard to ignore that Zuko got passed up for her when she's literally Zuko's golden child sister. As much as I still think Zuko would still be able to set himself apart visually and mechanically, those comparisons are unavoidable whether we like it or not.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Well, I finally got the video to work...on mobile, ironically enough.

And honestly, despite not showing much, I think Azula looks pretty cool; her model's great, I like the lightning bolt attack that I'm guessing is her Neutral Special, and I'm liking the blue effects that occur whenever she strikes someone. I wonder if that's simply for a cool effect, or if there's some mechanic she has that we don't know about.

So yeah, I'm happy Azula's here; she's easily my favorite villain from the original Avatar, and it looks like they did her justice. Of course, as usual, it'll really be the showcase that'll really tell more about her, so we'll see what happens then.

Also, I'm pretty sure that's Grey Griffin voicing her again, but can anyone here corroborate that?

Also also, can I just say that it's such a relief that I don't have to use spoilers constantly when talking about the newcomers anymore.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Pretty cool that Azula's in the game. Yeah Zuko not making it is a bit disappointing, but I still think Azula has her merits and is worth including.

Not really going to judge her gameplay just yet. She might seem simple at first glance, but there might be some things under the hood that aren't really showcased in the trailer. It's something that happens more often than you'd think in this genre.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think Azula might actually be a relatively simple character. More straightforward. Personally I'm more than ok with that, and do really wanna try her.
I'll definitely look forward to her showcase to find out if I'm wrong tho :D. I think they'll likely want to show Korra's first though. But.. considering Korra wasn't finished in the leaked version, that could be wrong

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Also, I'm pretty sure that's Grey Griffin voicing her again, but can anyone here corroborate that?
I'm not so sure. Some parts sound flawless just like her, some sound like an impersonator (or maybe closer to her Delilah Briarwood voice). It could very well be that doing the more youthful voice nowadays could be a strain on her voice, though.
I'm gonna lean into thinking it's an impersonation, which I guess is understandable since she's a big name, but... so is Tara Strong, and we got her as Ember.

...maybe they only had the budget for one of those two haha.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm not so sure. Some parts sound flawless just like her, some sound like an impersonator (or maybe closer to her Delilah Briarwood voice). It could very well be that doing the more youthful voice nowadays could be a strain on her voice, though.
I'm gonna lean into thinking it's an impersonation, which I guess is understandable since she's a big name, but... so is Tara Strong, and we got her as Ember.

...maybe they only had the budget for one of those two haha.
Well she was 35 when she originally voiced Azula and she's 50 today, so her voices most likely just changed. I'm confident that it's her given that pretty much every character got the original actor aside from Nigel i think?

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
As much as I appreciate playable villains I think they might have overdone it. It's not that I think she's dull per se - it's just that I think she had some really harsh competition.

And as much as I hate beating a dead horse it's just really hard to ignore that Zuko got passed up for her when she's literally Zuko's golden child sister. As much as I still think Zuko would still be able to set himself apart visually and mechanically, those comparisons are unavoidable whether we like it or not.
I disagree with the notion that they have "overdone" the playable villains on the roster when they make up not even a quarter of the overall roster for the game. I definitely wanted Azula much more than Zuko myself, but I can understand the disappointment behind Zuko not getting the spot.

Also, my colorblindness stopped me from even seeing the lightning attacks on my first couple watches. I was struggling sitting there trying to differentiate blue fire from blue lightning lol

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm confident that it's her given that pretty much every character got the original actor aside from Nigel i think?
Let's see:
  • Garfield isn't Lorenzo Music because he's dead, but he is Frank Welker, who voiced him in The Garfield Show.
  • Ren isn't John K. because that would mean having to hire John K.
  • Gerald was Ramone Hamilton in NKR3, who never voiced him before. Both his original and Jungle Movie VAs are presumably too old now.
  • Aang was voiced by a different kid in both NASB1 and NKR3, neither of which was Zach Tyler Eisen.
  • Debi Derryberry was the voice of Jimmy in NKR3 and took part in the #HughNation stuff herself, so it'd be foolish for her to not be in this game.
  • April was Abby Trott in both NASB1 and NKR3 because Renae Jacobs mostly retired after playing April in TMNT87 outside of her Cameo account.
  • Reptar is Fred Tatasciore in NASB1 and NRK3, who is only his original VA if you count the reboot.
  • If they got Richard Horvitz as Zim, he should be Daggett as well. Norbert also sounds too much like Nick Bakay to not be him.
  • NKR3 got Rodger Bumpass as Squidward, Rob Paulsen as Raphael, and Barry Gordon as Donatello, so this game should too.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
man I've been thinking, there's no way it's THIS hard for them to get the rights to Timmy / Fairly Oddparents content? Surely Nelvana can't be that stingy with their IP?

It's so weird because I think everyone can agree that Timmy is like, unanimously the only character that's definitively missing from an All-Star Nickelodeon title. No doubt in my mind that the devs know that, is Nelvana just charging them way more than they have the budget for?

because the more I think about it the more glaring his omission is.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
man I've been thinking, there's no way it's THIS hard for them to get the rights to Timmy / Fairly Oddparents content? Surely Nelvana can't be that stingy with their IP?

It's so weird because I think everyone can agree that Timmy is like, unanimously the only character that's definitively missing from an All-Star Nickelodeon title. No doubt in my mind that the devs know that, is Nelvana just charging them way more than they have the budget for?

because the more I think about it the more glaring his omission is.
Iirc Rep said on discord that the issue isn't Nelvana, so I'm really not sure to understand either what the issue exactly is, especially because he was added very recently to that Tennis game.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Iirc Rep said on discord that the issue isn't Nelvana, so I'm really not sure to understand either what the issue exactly is, especially because he was added very recently to that Tennis game.
I believe that post was Rep's GF, who said the issue wasn't Frederator, but that Timmy still has licensing issues without specifying who from.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I believe that post was Rep's GF, who said the issue wasn't Frederator, but that Timmy still has licensing issues without specifying who from.
Ah that might be it, but still, my point that Timmy was in the Tennis game still stand. Maybe it's just specifically being in a fighting game that causes problem, but then again I wonder why he's not even in the Kart racing games. Also I doubt the issue is money related because I'm pretty sure that All star brawl have a bigger budget than Nick's Tennis.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Some IP holders/distributors are just really picky with how their characters/franchises are represented. Could be something as simple as "we don't want Timmy interacting with these characters in this specific way", or something like "you're only allowed to reference this certain amount of material, anything else is off limits".

It's worth mentioning that Nelvana specifically seems to have the first 5 seasons of FOP, which was the show's original run and would probably make up a decent chunk of material the devs would pull from.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly the Tennis game is an oddity, but one that I do think can be written off.

What it reminds me a lot of is the issue Blue Beetle was in at the end of the 90s/dawn of the early 00s. The creative team behind the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited cartoons really wanted to have Blue Beetle appear, but corporate forbade it due to potential legal issues. What issues? Back before Blue Beetle was owned by DC, he was owned by Charleston, who had their catalogue purchased by DC when they went under. However, during the 50s, Charleston licensed Blue Beetle to a radio show company, and DC was now worried that a licensing deal from decades ago could cost them a fortune in royalties. But the Justice League team was confused...why was Blue Beetle allowed in the comics, then?

Because the comics were MUCH more low-key and less likely to end in a lawsuit. A cartoon on TV? Too many eyes. Lawsuit city.

Basically, skirting international copyright laws is risky, but if it's something that very few people will see, companies sometimes just... do it. Random shovelware mobile game? Eh, who cares?

But a console-level platform fighter that everyone is going to be looking at? Yeah, THAT'S a problem.

But the issue is even more exacerbated because with the Blue Beetle stuff, it was a single company...the rights to the Fairly OddParents are owned by at least three different companies on a worldwide scale. And the big one isn't even Nelvana.

It's Disney.

Because the show aired on Jetix and even Disney XD in certain territories, their hands are in the mix too. And because the game isn't region locked and is available everywhere, they need all of the worldwide rights to all of the characters. We know for a fact that international copyright issues kept someone out during NASB1. The Fairly OddParents is the only show where this can apply, as Doug, who also has rights issues, is just straight up owned by Disney worldwide now. The fact that they specified "international" makes it "Fairly" clear who it's about.

Top Bottom