• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Didn't think I'd have thoughts on cuts, but here they are:

Putting aside that I would've wanted to not have any cut characters, I do think a lot 'can' make sense if you have tight constraints.
Sandy - Yes she's less popular than squidward and plankton (at least if they also want a more villain type too)
Hugh - rumors about almost making it in might be true, I dunno. Or maybe nick didn't care enough about a memey side character.
PTM - Another memey character, could have less priority and that's enough.
Toph - They reworked the 2 avatars and probably wanted a villain, so I think that explains enough that they wouldn't want to spend more time there.
Turtles - Maybe just a choice to give the other 2 a chance to shine. They mustve known it'd be controversial considering people like vets.
Shredder - Someone said not a lot of people used him. I dunno if that's true but maybe it's true that they thought him being a boss would be easier given priorities.
Helga - Definitely a weird choice to replace with gertie and gerald. Could have been a corporate decision for diversity, I 'unno.
Lincoln - Supposedly not that popular in actuality. Still a weird choice, but maybe makes sense.
Catdog - Can understand because of being a complex character to make and balance, but still a big loss imo.
Oblina - A rep of a series, I feel it really odd to cut, but maybe she wasn't popular enough. I don't know. I wonder why she wouldn't have higher priority.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Whenever someone quotes spongebob, Sandy rarely comes up. I often see more Plankton or Squidward quotes than her
To be fair she's probably the most grounded and down to earth character in the show.

I mean she still has her silly moments sure but most of the time they include her it feels like she's there to foil Spongebob's naivety and Patrick's stupidity.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
CatDog allegedly being planned to be cut from the start really sucks, though I at least understand the reasoning. All the other "planned" cuts make perfect sense in context and I won't miss any of them too strongly.
The ones that were cut for time constraints are just unfortunate, though. Even if I don't care for half of them, this game's roster would've been so much better received than the utter joke most see it as if we got those guys back. Gotta love corporate deadlines screwing over your favorite games. Second verse, same as the first...

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well, hopefully the cut characters will be added back as DLC, whether as paid or in a free update.
You better hope the amount of renders Hugh and PTM have mean they were cut late, because there's not gonna be any cut vets in the pass and 11 characters in free updates is asking for too much.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I think cut comebacks are possible, but no way in hell they're gonna be free or comprehensive, let alone both. Even assuming these revelations are true, I don't buy "Hugh and PTM were almost done" just based on their amount of renders. They likely either just have more prominent roles on virtue of having been in NASB 1 or their renders have been more interesting to people with access to the renders because - again - they were in NASB 1. Been a while since I saw the lineup, but didn't Gary have about as many as PTM and Hugh?

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Personally I don't have too much hope for free updates characters because they already have a deadline for doing 4 paid characters in 2024 so this doesn't leave a lot of room for more, also in the case of Oblina and CatDog they would need a stage too which is even more work for free.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think cut comebacks are possible, but no way in hell they're gonna be free or comprehensive, let alone both. Even assuming these revelations are true, I don't buy "Hugh and PTM were almost done" just based on their amount of renders. They likely either just have more prominent roles on virtue of having been in NASB 1 or their renders have been more interesting to people with access to the renders because - again - they were in NASB 1. Been a while since I saw the lineup, but didn't Gary have about as many as PTM and Hugh?
Another thing to note about Hugh and PTM is that their renders face to the right like almost all the playable characters, rather than facing left like most NPCs. The only other NPCs to have right facing renders are Frida (who has two as well) and Master Splinter.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If that's true then it really sucks that Sandy, Toph, and CatDog were always meant to be cut. Sandy especially, wtf.
Yeah so much for Spongebob being Nick's cashcow and Mario. You would think Sandy would have stayed

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah so much for Spongebob being Nick's cashcow and Mario. You would think Sandy would have stayed
I think it was moreso to balance how many characters SpongeBob had compared to the rest of the roster. Right now it's the only show in the game to have more than 3 reps, as it has four. So it still has that special mascot status on that virtue alone.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think it was moreso to balance how many characters SpongeBob had compared to the rest of the roster. Right now it's the only show in the game to have more than 3 reps, as it has four. So it still has that special mascot status on that virtue alone.
But Nick's biggest cashcow...Nick's Mario...Makes sense to have most characters...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
But Nick's biggest cashcow...Nick's Mario...Makes sense to have most characters...
I guess they didn't want SBSP to have too many characters compared to the rest of the roster. Squidward was being added regardless due to his heavy fan requests and Sandy was ultimately given the axe in favor of Plankton due to them wanting to have more villains on the roster.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I guess they didn't want SBSP to have too many characters compared to the rest of the roster. Squidward was being added regardless due to his heavy fan requests and Sandy was ultimately given the axe in favor of Plankton due to them wanting to have more villains on the roster.
B-b-b-but Nick's biggest cash cow...Nick's Mario...

It must have the most characters. It's only logical to cash in the success of their biggest show...

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

It must have the most characters. It's only logical to cash in the success of their biggest show...
If Sandy got in instead of one of the other veterans SpongeBob alone would comprise 20% of the entire roster. I guess they didn't want that. I also think Toph was cut for the same reason, that being to make room for a villain.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

It still got two newcomers, and two of its veterans are still here. You would know if you paid attention to the roster besides it not having 11 specific characters.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Danny showcase is here. He looks super fun, so much better than the first game. He also have an human alt this time!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
More of the cut characters:
View attachment 378766
4 of them (Sandy, Lincoln, CatDog, and Toph) were planned to be removed while Shredder changed to a boss character for the story campaign.

Oblina, Hugh, Powered Toast Man, Helga, Leo and Mikey were meant to return but Nick rushed the crew so they didn't make it into the roster.
Disappointing if true mostly for Toph and CatDog. I understand they may be a bit harder to program but CatDog is such a Nick icon it feels wrong not to have him here, and Toph is such a beloved character in general so that's a damn shame. Plus it'd be nice to have a rep for all four nations.

That said if they were intended to return that brings a little hope for veteran DLC. Maybe there's some assets left over?

Though the devs can see the community's reaction. Maybe they'll try to prioritize getting CatDog in anyway?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Disappointing if true mostly for Toph and CatDog. I understand they may be a bit harder to program but CatDog is such a Nick icon it feels wrong not to have him here, and Toph is such a beloved character in general so that's a damn shame. Plus it'd be nice to have a rep for all four nations.

That said if they were intended to return that brings a little hope for veteran DLC. Maybe there's some assets left over?

Though the devs can see the community's reaction. Maybe they'll try to prioritize getting CatDog in anyway?
I think this pass was planned further ahead in time vs. NASB1's with how it was announced alongside the game. You better hope the leaks we heard are just placeholder choices or something.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think this pass was planned further ahead in time vs. NASB1's with how it was announced alongside the game. You better hope the leaks we heard are just placeholder choices or something.
Although aside from them all being from already repped shows and all of them being newcomers we know nothing about the DLC characters.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Danny's looking super fun! I love the new stuff they gave to him, like the backair that can cancel into anything, the new Side Special that feels like Nigel's Worm move from the first game but with an attachable combo at the end, and the new Down Special, which looks like it'll be fun to play around with. In general, I enjoy using glass cannons for their fast combo potential, and Danny being made one here makes him more awesome to me! I think him and El Tigre are the current frontrunners for possible mains in my book.

Also, unrelated, but I think it's pretty cool that they got LS Mark to narrate Danny's showcase; I've actually watched a good deal of his videos, so I actually recognize him.

Also also, I swear to god that Dark Danny alt better not be the one exclusive to the $80 Ultimate Edition...

So, while it sucks that the likes of CatDog and Lincoln were cut more-or-less from the beginning, in the former's case, I can see why considering how mechanically unusual they already were in the first game, on top of the various overhauls that were being done to this game. I can also understand them cutting Toph like that for slightly similar reasons (and to be fair, I didn't really play as her much). Sandy's the one big headscratcher, but oh well.

As for the remaining six, in a way, it's nice to know that, as I kind of suspected, the big issue was time; between the massive overhaul to basically everything, especially the confirmed veterans, and the newcomers, they just didn't have the time to include the likes of Oblina, Powdered Toast Man, and Hugh; otherwise, they probably would've been brought back. In a way, that provides some good closure, as while it still stinks, for the most part I can understand why so many veterans ended up being cut, and hopefully, depending on how well the current DLC wave does, we can get more DLC and bring at least some of them back.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I am not gonna like fighting against Danny's intangibility xD. that seems annoying.

fun character tho

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Although aside from them all being from already repped shows and all of them being newcomers we know nothing about the DLC characters.
Yeah, and I said they could be placeholder choices while Fair Play, GameMill and Nick try to get everything settled with the DLC. Just as a vague attempt to feed Gryff some hopium.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
View attachment 378766
4 of them (Sandy, Lincoln, CatDog, and Toph) were planned to be removed while Shredder changed to a boss character for the story campaign.

Oblina, Hugh, Powered Toast Man, Helga, Leo and Mikey were meant to return but Nick rushed the crew so they didn't make it into the roster.
Don't waste your time believing this. The original source of this list seems to be another Discord user who also claimed to know who the DLC was, but his DLC list was quickly confirmed to be fake.

Now is a good time to remind everyone: NASB 2 is not a replacement for NASB 1, it's a completely different style of gameplay, just as NASB 1 wasn't a replacement for Slap City. There will still be plenty of reason to go back to NASB 1 beyond just the cuts even if you prefer NASB 2. Once you all get your hands on the game you'll probably understand better just how different these two games are.
Unfortunately since NASB 1 abruptly ceased development when it still needed updates, 99% players not even people who enjoyed NASB 1 are going to go back to it. The failure to keep the promise of crossplay will forever keep that playerbased fractured. It's not like Slap where it still got updates and had a great foundation. NASB 1 was and still is extremely broken as a foundation, there's a reason the devs refused to build off NASB 1.

View attachment 378766

Oh my god if those 6 returned I would've been in love with NASB 2's roster.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Don't waste your time believing this. The original source of this list seems to be another Discord user who also claimed to know who the DLC was, but his DLC list was quickly confirmed to be fake.
What was his DLC list? Just curious.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I may have been born in the 90s, but for me Nick's golden era was 2000-2006. And I am not at all spoiled for options this time around.

Danny, Ember, Jimmy, El Tigre, Aang, Jenny, and the SpongeBob cast all tickle my fancy. I'm super hyped that we got more of my era this time around.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I didn't watch a ton of danny phantom but right now I'm interested in both him and Ember for the game, they just seem fun :D.

To be honest, a lot of characters in the game seem fun to me, which is rare because I've gotten more picky over the years over who I like to play with. To me at least it's a testament to how they've well-crafted the characters this time around with plenty in mind. Or maybe they just have similar tastes xD.

Top Bottom