• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
We're never gonna get a "EVERYONE IS HERE" for a future game aren't we? Ha, ha, ha, ha...
Nobody should be banking on this for any game. Smash Ultimate is the exception, not the norm. People are unfairly holding an exception as the standard.

Case in point, all of those people who think the next Smash game will be Ultimate Deluxe instead of the normal game with cuts that it absolutely will be.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Nobody should be banking on this for any game. Smash Ultimate is the exception, not the norm. People are unfairly holding an exception as the standard.

Case in point, all of those people who think the next Smash game will be Ultimate Deluxe instead of the normal game with cuts that it absolutely will be.
In total fairness, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an Ultimate Deluxe out of the company that decided to squat on Mario Kart 8 for over ten years.
Yep, still mad about that.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
In total fairness, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an Ultimate Deluxe out of the company that decided to squat on Mario Kart 8 for over ten years.
Yep, still mad about that.
I'm pretty sure Sakurai or whoever would want to make plenty of newcomers for the next game. Newcomers are a big part of Smash marketing, and Nintendo should know it if they let virtually every 4/Ultimate newcomer get their own trailer.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm pretty sure Sakurai or whoever would want to make plenty of newcomers for the next game. Newcomers are a big part of Smash marketing, and Nintendo should know it if they let virtually every 4/Ultimate newcomer get their own trailer.
Is this in favor of Ultimate Deluxe being a thing, or against it? I can't even tell.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Is this in favor of Ultimate Deluxe being a thing, or against it? I can't even tell.
Against. I think Ultimate Deluxe would have little to no newcomers, except a pass full of contractual obligations to keep the Square-Enix characters in.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Against. I think Ultimate Deluxe would have little to no newcomers, except a pass full of contractual obligations to keep the Square-Enix characters in.
Clearly live services is the way to go :4pacman:

jokes aside, that's multiversus model

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I feel like the 11 characters got cut possibly due to Nick higher ups most likely rushing the devs for an early release.
Fighting games typically are developed with a 2 year dev cycle and end up having 25 characters, including ones not accused of being rushed.

FazDude

Smash Master
Okay, now that I'm actually home, I can talk more about what I've been seeing here, because hooooo boy.

Again, I'm not knocking people for being upset about cuts. Perfectly understandable. That said, if you equate people debating your points about the roster to "backstabbing", that's the point where I think you're breathing too much into it. Have your own opinions about the roster, sure, but resorting to this sort of tribalism really isn't healthy.

Everything I said about the doomposting still applies - Assuming we'll never see the cut eleven again is unfounded and overtly pessmistic, simply due to the fact that there is no solid evidence to suggest that'll happen. This is the first time anyone has been cut in NASB - There is no precedent for how cut characters are handled later on. Smash really shouldn't be a point of reference here for a multitude of factors, and even NKR is shaky reasoning seeing how the two have different dev teams and only share a publisher AFAIK.

Like Gryff said earlier today, it's perfectly valid to want NASB to be more/less like Smash, but you need to have that mindset alongside tempered expectations. If you think a small studio like Ludosity can pump out an Ultimate-sized platfighter their second try, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. (That's not me knocking Ludosity, for the record; It's just kinda natural they won't be able to compare quantity-wise to one of the biggest gaming companies in the industry. You can support a dev while also understanding "yeah, they won't have a Nintendo-sized budget".)

So yeah, being upset about cuts is fine and I'm fine with the final roster being critiqued, but the amount of irrational claims and reactions on this thread is quite concerning and has honestly soured my mood surrounding the game more than the cuts/leaks themselves.

Again, sorry I'm late, but I REALLY needed to get this off my chest.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
So yeah, being upset about cuts is fine and I'm fine with the final roster being critiqued, but the amount of irrational claims and reactions on this thread is quite concerning and has honestly soured my mood surrounding the game more than the cuts/leaks themselves.
This is what I mean when I talk about bringing the mood down, by the way. It's okay to be disappointed, but some of us are still excited for the game and want to enjoy what we've got. Try to read the room a little when voicing your displeasure.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Fair enough, now that I think about it Ultimate was in production immediately after Sm4sh's release. Wasn't the best comparison.
Also I think NASB1 not having items at launch or barely any SP content is a bigger sign of it being rushed than 2 not having playable Toph.

Nintykid

Smash Apprentice
I feel Like we are just repeating the exact problem we had with NASB 1; Comparing it and wanting it to be exactly like Smash. Keep in mine Smash usually is kept in development for like years, almost like half a decade, and have a vastly different team and budget then Ludosity/Gamemill/Fair Play Games. Cut usually happen in fighting games, but because of Nintendo marketing the "Everyone is Here" aspect clouded everyone into thinking it's should be the norm. Now I feel bad for the next Smash game in the series after Ultimate. Anyway, being a bit upset about cuts is understandable and totally expecting. But the whole doomposting "Oh these characters aren't coming in NASB2 so they won't be in the NASB3" and "This roster is Worst then NK3" is flat out dumb ngl. The worst thing about this thread had always been the cut discussion and the doomers. IMO, all that happened is that they ran out of time to make all the vets and had to be cut nothing more or less (which is a real shame cause I would have loved to see what NASB2 changes had for Linclon or Sandy or Hugh).

Also, I feel like we are forgetting/underselling the other stuff like Items and Voiceacting day one, updated graphics and visuals, new and flashy UI, and a Story mode that differ a lot from Smash's WOL. That stuff gets me still hyped for the game (plus hereing the fact that the game still ain't truly done i.e. Korra's missing particial effect makes me feel like some stuff still need fixin' which is nice)

darkvortex

Smash Lord
EIH, whatever you think about it, is a very special case that will likely never be replicated. It was a mix of that being the 6th smash game they'd ever made, a lot of assets already being available this making the work load lesser, and smash being, well, smash. It's not a luxury most games can afford

Also ultimate deluxe depends on if the next platform has back compact (which it should obviously)

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Now is a good time to remind everyone: NASB 2 is not a replacement for NASB 1, it's a completely different style of gameplay, just as NASB 1 wasn't a replacement for Slap City. There will still be plenty of reason to go back to NASB 1 beyond just the cuts even if you prefer NASB 2. Once you all get your hands on the game you'll probably understand better just how different these two games are.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Characters I'd like to see added in the future (whether as DLC or in a hypothetical sequel):

Asami Sato
Rudy Tabootie
Dora the Explorer
Miko Kubota (Glitch Techs)
Karai
Vexus
Kappa Mikey
Skulker (Or Jazz Fenton or The Box Ghost)
UltraLord
Reggie Rocket
Professor Membrane (or Miss Bitters or Gaz)
Bessie Higgenbottom (Mighty B)
Bloom (Winx)
Eugene the Jinx (although the idea of Lila getting in over Helga is hilarious)
Vicky (or the Crimson Chin)
Lin Beifong
Sokka

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
More of the cut characters:
F7ihxnwWUAAcKKW.jpg

4 of them (Sandy, Lincoln, CatDog, and Toph) were planned to be removed while Shredder changed to a boss character for the story campaign.

Oblina, Hugh, Powered Toast Man, Helga, Leo and Mikey were meant to return but Nick rushed the crew so they didn't make it into the roster.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
More of the cut characters:
View attachment 378766
4 of them (Sandy, Lincoln, CatDog, and Toph) were planned to be removed while Shredder changed to a boss character for the story campaign.

Oblina, Hugh, Powered Toast Man, Helga, Leo and Mikey were meant to return but Nick rushed the crew so they didn't make it into the roster.
So it looks like the character that was meant to go with Loud Castle was actually a newcomer.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Man it sucks that Toph and Catdog were always gonna get the axe (even if the latter had pretty solid reasoning for doing so). They were easily two of the most unique characters from the first game and I would have loved to see what they'd do with them this time around.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well, hopefully the cut characters will be added back as DLC, whether as paid or in a free update.
I don't think so at this point. I don't think that we're getting any additional characters beyond the four in the Season Pass.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As far as the new revelation about the cuts:

CatDog and Shredder already had stated reasons, so that leaves Sandy, Toph, and Lincoln.

Toph was very likely in a similar spot as CatDog, based on the fact that she was finished late in the development of the first game, changed a LOT over the course of patches, and had very specific things like giant attacks and air platforms. I would not be surprised if she also caused a lot of headaches trying to bring her over to a brand new game. So likely a CatDog issue if I had to guess.

Lincoln is easy to explain. He was wildly unpopular and was the least played character from a show with an ensemble cast. Easy cut.

But then there's Sandy, who has like...no decent explanation. She was popular (a SpongeBob character who was the main of literally the best NASB1 player, and also the undisputed best character from the first game), she was straight forward (focusing mostly on martial arts without a complex moveset mechanic), and five SpongeBob characters clearly wasn't the problem considering they had planned to have five TMNT characters. Sandy is the only one I can't justify.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
As far as the new revelation about the cuts:

CatDog and Shredder already had stated reasons, so that leaves Sandy, Toph, and Lincoln.

Toph was very likely in a similar spot as CatDog, based on the fact that she was finished late in the development of the first game, changed a LOT over the course of patches, and had very specific things like giant attacks and air platforms. I would not be surprised if she also caused a lot of headaches trying to bring her over to a brand new game. So likely a CatDog issue if I had to guess.

Lincoln is easy to explain. He was wildly unpopular and was the least played character from a show with an ensemble cast. Easy cut.

But then there's Sandy, who has like...no decent explanation. She was popular (a SpongeBob character who was the main of literally the best NASB1 player, and also the undisputed best character from the first game), she was straight forward (focusing mostly on martial arts without a complex moveset mechanic), and five SpongeBob characters clearly wasn't the problem considering they had planned to have five TMNT characters. Sandy is the only one I can't justify.
Not gonna lie, I feel like Squidward, Krabs, and Plankton are all more popular than Sandy. If any Spongebob character had to be cut to make room for Spongebob newcomers, it would be her. So the cut is reasonable to me at least.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I'm late to comment on this, but I find the whole "NASB is aiming too much for adults" argument quite silly - every single character on both rosters was fundamentally made with appeal to children in mind - even the edgier shows like Ren & Stimpy, Invader Zim, Rocko's Modern Life, e.t.c. - and even if we're to ignore the Nick core-demo fans who have chosen to dig out the ol' Wikipedia list and relatives/babysitters who show kids their childhood favorites, you don't need to have seen these shows to understand the appeal of "Clumsy evil alien who screams a lot" or "Teenage girl who is also a shapeshifting robot". I loved Gir, Mr. Blik, and Stimpy as a kid while only knowing them from Toybots, and those games showed way less of their personalities off than the NASB games do their characters (at least post-VA). Linc's cut and items not being available at the launch of NASB 1 are the only times I think NASB has really sacrificed the kid audience - the latter being a necessity due to time constraints rather than an intentional decision and the prior still having one of his sisters playable. - keep in mind that Nick is infamous for quickly cancelling cartoons, so pretty much anything new they'd have enough finished material to work with from the start of development could very well be off the air by the time the game's out.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not gonna lie, I feel like Squidward, Krabs, and Plankton are all more popular than Sandy. If any Spongebob character had to be cut to make room for Spongebob newcomers, it would be her. So the cut is reasonable to me at least.
Even then, I definitely feel like all but Squidward would have had fewer requests had Sandy not been in from the start. The usual pecking order for SpongeBob stuff usually always went SpongeBob, then Patrick, then third and fourth place are interchangeably Sandy and Squidward, while fifth and sixth are interchangeably Mr. Krabs and Plankton. I also can't overstate the importance of SpongeBob, Patrick, and Sandy being the iconic BFBB trio, a game that's incredibly fondly remembered by this game's target audience.

And anyone on the roster would end up unpopular if their only competition was SpongeBob and Patrick, in fairness. And it's not like Sandy is UNpopular either. It's anecdotal, but when the game got revealed and it was shown that characters had super moves THE most common posts I saw had to do with Sandy, mostly to the effect of "Sandy's super better be this insert gif of Patrick getting lasso'd away and exploding."

I dunno, I just feel that if ANY series warranted five characters, it'd be SpongeBob. Even more so than TMNT. I can understand the other cuts, be they time constraints, technical difficulties, or lmao Lincoln, but Sandy's honestly like, the ONE cut that I just don't get like, personally.

Last edited:
Top Bottom