• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I feel like with Spongebob I've gone both ways.

The classics are classics for a reason. They're arguably funnier as an adult when youre more capable of picking up the meanings of certain jokes and wordplay, and many of the more satirical humor hits harder when you've experienced what those jokes are satirizing. The character dynamics are also incredibly tight and well done.

Everything after seems to be an acquired taste, and the show has moved into a direction where I feel like it isn't for me anymore.

So I think giving up Spongebob has nothing to do with age and moreso what your opinions on the post-classic episodes are.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I feel like with Spongebob I've gone both ways.

The classics are classics for a reason. They're arguably funnier as an adult when youre more capable of picking up the meanings of certain jokes and wordplay, and many of the more satirical humor hits harder when you've experienced what those jokes are satirizing. The character dynamics are also incredibly tight and well done.

Everything after seems to be an acquired taste, and the show has moved into a direction where I feel like it isn't for me anymore.

So I think giving up Spongebob has nothing to do with age and moreso what your opinions on the post-classic episodes are.
I guess Season 4 does have some alright episodes, but I'll mainly have fond memories of the first 3 as I "grew out" (read: switched to Gmod animations which were heavily influenced by Ren & Stimpy anyway) of Nick when I was 13, which was before 4 ended anyway. I haven't actually watched any episodes beyond that, but I did watch this video featuring every MY LEG! in Spongebob, and...
...I think it's funnier to use the same "My Leg!" recording over and over, rather than record a new one every time a background fish's leg gets hurt. Not to mention, the newer "My Leg!"s can actually show the background fish's leg getting hurt, which I kind of think ruins the gag.

...wait, apparently one newer episode is just a bunch of "My Leg!"s over and over, so I guess this technically counts as watching something after season 4.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Played today and I'm gonna say again, man, Aang and especially Toph are really small compared to the other characters. Toph is practically Pichu sized, and Helga in particular completely towers over them, which is ridiculous since she's supposed to be a few years younger than them.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Played today and I'm gonna say again, man, Aang and especially Toph are really small compared to the other characters. Toph is practically Pichu sized, and Helga in particular completely towers over them, which is ridiculous since she's supposed to be a few years younger than them.
Never thought Toph's size would be like that, Kinda makes her stand out with her moveset.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well im gonna spend the rest of the day picturing a pichu dressed as toph

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

So I discovered this today from the same guy that uploaded the leaked soundtracks for Sweet Dreams and the Double Dare stage, and I'm a bit puzzled:

The other free DLC fighter is (supposed) Shredder, but the name of track doesn't line up with that and seems to suggest the fighter is actually Rocksteady. However, some of the comments brought up the possibility that the stage is indeed for Shredder and the title is just some sort of misdirect. And to be fair, this wouldn't be the first time in the game that the stage didn't exactly match the character (Sandy and Glove World).

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. If nothing else, the song itself is still a banger and continues the tradition of the stage themes being really good.
There's a tiny bit of data hinting that Rocksteady could come after Shredder. He just has a grayscale picture while Shredder has his moves programmed and named already.

amageish

Smash Master

So I discovered this today from the same guy that uploaded the leaked soundtracks for Sweet Dreams and the Double Dare stage, and I'm a bit puzzled:

The other free DLC fighter is (supposed) Shredder, but the name of track doesn't line up with that and seems to suggest the fighter is actually Rocksteady. However, some of the comments brought up the possibility that the stage is indeed for Shredder and the title is just some sort of misdirect. And to be fair, this wouldn't be the first time in the game that the stage didn't exactly match the character (Sandy and Glove World), not to mention that the Garfield stage wasn't named "Garfield's Dream", so maybe it's a placeholder or something.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. If nothing else, the song itself is still a banger and continues the tradition of the stage themes being really good.
This is a troll, as the description indicates.

It's just a music track from a different game themed around that character.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I just think that Rocksteady was planned, but scrapped and replaced with Shredder.
I guess that's another possibility. It just seemed odd that we're kind of on the cusp of getting the second free DLC fighter who is supposedly Shredder, so it being Rocksteady instead felt like a bit of a swerve.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
This is a troll, as the description indicates.

It's just a music track from a different game themed around that character.
Oh, okay. My bad then.

...I was kind of wondering what was up with the "trollface" in the description.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
View attachment 340713

I think honeslty Jimmy Neutron is almost guaranteed to be the first paid for DLC character alongside Rocko at this point, so this anniversary seems timely I suppose
Not sure if he's guaranteed to be the first one, but Jimmy certainly feels like one of the most likely DLC candidates, what with his clear demand (having straight-up won that one DLC character poll) and having a rather prominent role in other Nicktoon crossover games (particularly the Nicktoons Unite series).

Between that and his moveset potential, I'd be shocked if Jimmy wasn't DLC at some point soon.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
What makes me think he is almost guaranteed to be the first DLC character we pay for is due to the fact his name (alongside Rocko's) was in that announcer datamine thing and was the only character (once again alongside Rocko) listed to be from a franchise that already wasn't represented in the game (bar Garfield, who we know was more than likely meant to be a base game character but was pushed back as dlc due to Nickelodeon's deadline for release), which to me implies the devs had Jimmy and Rocko in mind for a while.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What makes me think he is almost guaranteed to be the first DLC character we pay for is due to the fact his name (alongside Rocko's) was in that announcer datamine thing and was the only character (once again alongside Rocko) listed to be from a franchise that already wasn't represented in the game (bar Garfield, who we know was more than likely meant to be a base game character but was pushed back as dlc due to Nickelodeon's deadline for release), which to me implies the devs had Jimmy and Rocko in mind for a while.
On a similar note, one of the items in development is the Suck-O-Matic despite Rocko not currently being playable. As I've mentioned before, if a Nicktoons crossover doesn't have playable characters from a certain series, that series getting any representation whatsoever will be extremely rare. NASB proves this with the achievement/profile icons, in which the only characters not represented as fighters or stage cameos that appear on icons are...Raphael and Donatello, whose appearances shouldn't have any licensing holdups given the Turtles are palette swaps.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If the people behind Honest Game Trailers think Reptar is the bottom of the barrel I don't wanna know what they think about the idea of getting a Making Fiends rep.

FazDude

Smash Master
Look, I'm gonna be real here. I'm usually a fan of HGT (even if they are brutal with some of my favorites), but I dunno - Their trailer for NASB seems a little too spiteful. Sure, they make some valid criticisms as usual, but it mostly feels like bashing that feels misinformed at best (ain't nobody about to diss my man Reptar) and bitter at worst.

Like I said, there are genuine problems with NASB, but this just ain't it.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Look, I'm gonna be real here. I'm usually a fan of HGT (even if they are brutal with some of my favorites), but I dunno - Their trailer for NASB seems a little too spiteful. Sure, they make some valid criticisms as usual, but it mostly feels like bashing that feels misinformed at best (ain't nobody about to diss my man Reptar) and bitter at worst.

A lot of people seem to be like that - recently Austin Eruption was just mean to it in a video he made and I had to comment on the video. The dude's normally fair and fun but not this time. It's frustrating when you can see the devs trying their best.

FazDude

Smash Master
Yeah. On one hand, I understand it - We just came off of Smash Ultimate, which is the biggest installment of the biggest platform fighting series. Of course people are gonna be thinking of that going into NASB. At the same time, though... It's fine. A bit overpriced? Yeah. Lacking some modes that would have improved the base package? You bet. However, NASB isn't the way it is because of the devs - Rather Nick and their wacky policies limiting what could be done with the game.

A while back, a friend of mine said something really important about NASB; It isn't Smash. Like, that's obvious and all, but it's really a mindset that I think needs to be embraced more. Yes, they are the same subgenre, but they have their own identies and goals which are overshadowed by the "poor man's Smash" mindset. Look at Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat - They're both fighting games, but they're both respected as seperate entities. That's the thing I want to happen with the platform fighter genre. It shouldn't be just "Smash" and "Smash clones". It should be Smash, then NASB, then Brawlhalla, then Multiversus, so on and so forth.

Sorry for the long-winded philosophical speech, but I really needed to get this off my chest.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

A lot of people seem to be like that - recently Austin Eruption was just mean to it in a video he made and I had to comment on the video. The dude's normally fair and fun but not this time. It's frustrating when you can see the devs trying their best.
This really makes me hope more and more that Multiversus makes people realize voice acting doesn't magically mean a game is better. I mean, look at Nickelodeon Party Blast-characters talk in it, and no one's praising that as a 10/10 game of the year all years every year game.

Hell it doesn't even look like MV has that much of a budget increase anyway. It's got voice acting sure, but it looks like it's going to have a smaller roster and the graphics are still rather cheap-looking. It ain't no Red Dead Redemption 2.

FazDude

Smash Master
This really makes me hope more and more that Multiversus makes people realize voice acting doesn't magically mean a game is better. I mean, look at Nickelodeon Party Blast-characters talk in it, and no one's praising that as a 10/10 game of the year all years every year game.

Hell it doesn't even look like MV has that much of a budget increase anyway. It's got voice acting sure, but it looks like it's going to have a smaller roster and the graphics are still rather cheap-looking. It ain't no Red Dead Redemption 2.
I mean, voice acting's nice to have, but I think actual gameplay features should be a priority (having mods already scratches the voice acting itch for me TBH).

With Multiversus specifically, I'm a bit more forgiving with it, seeing how it is a free-to-play title with more characters confirmed to be on the way in the future. I'm excited to try it out, honestly.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I mean, voice acting's nice to have, but I think actual gameplay features should be a priority (having mods already scratches the voice acting itch for me TBH).

With Multiversus specifically, I'm a bit more forgiving with it, seeing how it is a free-to-play title with more characters confirmed to be on the way in the future. I'm excited to try it out, honestly.
I'm still bitter about people thinking MV is better solely because voices, when if you play NASB on PC like me all you need to do is mod them in. Bam. Now MV has absolutely nothing over NASB except maybe it being free and that HEAVILY depends on how the game will compensate for its initial cost of 0.

Top Bottom