• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Gonna make a small break in my retirement from Smashboards to share some thoughts I had.

Firstly, while I heavily prefer All Star Brawl, I do recognize that Multiversus has the better initial presentation. But throughout 2022 that gap is due to close. Furthermore, I'm overall more forgiving of NASB because of the amount of passion that went into it, especially on the shoestring budget, so less bonus content is more understandable, especially given that Ludosity gets to keep working on the game and adding new content/polishing it. And finally, NASB is still fundementally a very good game! It simply needs more content and some extra polish (and this is coming fron someone who despises the elitism that came from Melee's happy accidents). And more of a personal thing, but Nickelodeon was my childhood while I have little to no connection to characters like Steven, Finn, Ruby Rose, Rock and Morty, Batman, etc.

A lot of the "anti-Multiversus" complaints come from people who are sick of it being called the "NASB Killer" and the obnoxiojs attitude that came with it.

Going back to NASB.
So, I've been revisiting the game's Loud House content after getting to know more of the show, and aside from the general apathy towards the show from the fans, the content in-game is generally a rollercoaster in terms of both passion and basis on the show.

First, the good! Lucy Loud (who they apparently had to fight for? Who would've gotten in instead?) has a very inspired moveset with a clear direction. There's a lot of references to things she does on the show, and while the coffin antics are a bit much it's willing suspension of disbelief for a fighting game, and isn't at all out of character. And while fighting her is a ****ing nightmare, you can see all of the heart that went into her moveset.

Alongside this, there's the stage of the titular house. Even before I started to like the show, I have to say I LOVE this stage. The show's arty style transitioning to 3D looks fantastic, the character cameos are great, the stage looks super detailed, and it's very fun to fight on. Feels like you're actually there! I know a lot of people hate walk-off stages but this stage is an absolute blast (and it feels a lot nicer than the typical themed platform a lot of more "typical" stages are. Irken Armada's a particularly egregious example, especially since Lylat Cruise showed us how to make a space fleet stage more interesting with a consistent platform). Only issues are a couple of minor inaccuracies regarding room placement and the type of fence at the yard's edge, but aside from that no complaints here!

Now we basically have the inverse, starting with Lincoln. Most characters have movesets heavily inspired by or based on canonical material. Lincoln....doesn't really have much of that. Based on what I've watched, only two moves seem to have been pulled directly from the source material (his Up Special (Ace Savvy) and Down Strong (VR Slash)). I can see him using a squirt gun, but I've seen people comment (fans of the show, in fact) that they have no idea where the Spinning Top move came from. Furthermore, no idea why Lincoln has a baseball bat since he tends to avoid sports (sans occasional games with Lynn Jr.). And I don't think he's associated with yoyos at all either. Based on his stage type, those last couple of moves, and being a small kid with a big head, among other properties, it feels more like they were trying to make a sort of Ness analogue rather than an inspired Lincoln fighter. I get that they probably had no choice in whether or not to include him, but it's a shame he didn't get nearly the same level of inspiration other fighters got, which are packed with canonical moves and references. (though I will say, his victory animation is SPOT ON)

Now, we have Lucy's stage, Royal Woods Cemetery. A big issue with this stage is that it doesn't do much to make itself stand out. If it weren't for Fangs' cameo on one of the dead trees it wouldn't even be particularly recognizable as a Loud House stage. It didn't go for the same "comic to 3D" art style that the House stage did, and is very light on the character cameos, too. If they had thrown in another character like, say, Haiku (Lucy's best friend) or maybe put an ARGGH! van at the mansion in the background, then that plus carrying over the Comic to 3D art style of the House's stage would've gone a long way! Standing out is important, especially that this game has an unusually high amount of spooky-themed stages (4 in a game with 21 stages).

You can tell that while there was loads of passion put into everything, some stages and characters got kinda shafted.
Lincoln is more of an analogue to Villager and Isabelle than he is with Ness. Lincoln is a rushdown fighter (more in line with the AC characters) while Ness is more of a zoner.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
A lot of the "anti-Multiversus" complaints come from people who are sick of it being called the "NASB Killer" and the obnoxiojs attitude that came with it.
Yeah, that's pretty much why I seem to constantly want to point to signs that MV's budget isn't that much higher, unless they're devoting tons of funds to bribing people to NOT play NASB or write hitpieces against it.
Who would've gotten in instead?
I kind of think they had a weird attitude about multiple reps from one show besides SpongeBob and TMNT. On the other hand, what made Oblina questionable to Nick was that she was an Aaahh!!! Real Monsters rep. This is despite the fact that when pandering to nostalgia Nick treats it fairly well.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Lincoln is more of an analogue to Villager and Isabelle than he is with Ness. Lincoln is a rushdown fighter (more in line with the AC characters) while Ness is more of a zoner.
Villager and Isabelle are zoners, Ness is a pressure archetype. Lincoln is really quite a zoner himself given he has a push-away tool and a mostly-disjointed moveset.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
That's fair, though I still feel like his moveset was more designed to mimic a Smash archtype/match Smash character moves rather than mimic his source material.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That's fair, though I still feel like his moveset was more designed to mimic a Smash archtype/match Smash character moves rather than mimic his source material.
It's not like they had a lot of source material to work with. The Loud House is a slice of life show without much in terms of action and continuity, and Lincoln was just a generic young boy character. They had to work with what they were given.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
It's not like they had a lot of source material to work with. The Loud House is a slice of life show without much in terms of action and continuity, and Lincoln was just a generic young boy character. They had to work with what they were given.
I know, though Lucy's from the same show and yet they did a great job with her.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I know, though Lucy's from the same show and yet they did a great job with her.

Well, that's for a good reason: Lincoln's sisters tend to have more development than he does. He's the everyman. He likes what the plot says he likes.

Personally, I do think they were trying to add in a few references to his sisters into his kit (the diaper for Lily, the rocket for Lisa, and the bat for Lynn Jr.) but other than that they kinda had to go generic (though his get up animation includes a cheeky reference to the show utilizing his beloved plush toy).

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
The Rate Their Chances thread is up if anyone wants to participate.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
So if we're allowed to make character support threads now, you think it'd be worth splitting Norbert and Daggett into separate threads since I want them as separate characters, you do you think everyone is just going to be asking why I didn't just make them one thread?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So if we're allowed to make character support threads now, you think it'd be worth splitting Norbert and Daggett into separate threads since I want them as separate characters, you do you think everyone is just going to be asking why I didn't just make them one thread?
You might as well make one thread for both beavers. I made a thread that encompasses the entire Action League while the Multiversus board has several general character support threads, IE Hanna-Barbera.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There existed general threads back in Ultimate speculation like Zelda Newcomer, SMT Character, Nintendo Retro Character, etc, so you can make an Angry Beaver thread with the intention of covering them seperately and as a duo

EDIT: Whoops, noticed that you already did this before my reply

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
There existed general threads back in Ultimate speculation like Zelda Newcomer, SMT Character, Nintendo Retro Character, etc, so you can make an Angry Beaver thread with the intention of covering them seperately and as a duo
Although I intend to create separate threads for Tommy's Rugrats and AGU versions.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think it's people desperate for that VA update to come rather than actual proof it's coming very soon. On the front page of BTVA, you can see what seems like a link to an article whose headline is "Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl To Add Voice Acting", but it just links to NASB's VA-less page.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Here's my wishlist for VAs:
SpongeBob: Tom Kenny
Patrick: Bill Fagerbakke
Sandy: Carolyn Lawrence
Leo: Cam Clarke
Mikey: Townsend Coleman
April: Mae Whitman
Shredder: Kevin Michael Richardson
Aang: Jaxson McBride
Korra: Janet Varney
Toph: Jessie Flower
Lincoln: Tara Strong
Lucy: Jessica DiCiccio
Ren and Stimpy: Billy West
PTM: Corey Burton
Oblina: Candi Milo
Helga: Francesca Marie Smith
Zim: Richard Steven Horvitz
Reptar: None
Nigel Thornberry: Tim Curry (if he is able to)
Danny Phantom: David Kaufman
CatDog: Jim Cummings and Tom Kenny
Garfield: Frank Welker

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If she isn't willing to unretire again just to voice Helga, I'd also suggest Danielle Judovits. She's another Hey Arnold veteran who's still active to this day, as seen with Back 4 Blood.
I kind of wonder if they'll hire Timothy Omundson. He was able to voice Nigel in a Robot Chicken sketch which was able to reunite most of the Wild Thornberrys' cast, but not Tim Curry. If he's too expensive for RC (which has gone out of its way to get the original VAs to voice their characters many times, like Frank Welker and Mark Hamill) he's too expensive for a low-budget indie game.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Here's my wishlist for VAs:
SpongeBob: Tom Kenny
Patrick: Bill Fagerbakke
Sandy: Carolyn Lawrence
Leo: Cam Clarke
Mikey: Townsend Coleman
April: Mae Whitman
Shredder: Kevin Michael Richardson
Aang: Jaxson McBride
Korra: Janet Varney
Toph: Jessie Flower
Lincoln: Tara Strong
Lucy: Jessica DiCiccio
Ren and Stimpy: Billy West
PTM: Corey Burton
Oblina: Candi Milo
Zim: Richard Steven Horvitz
Reptar: None
Danny Phantom: David Kaufman
CatDog: Jim Cummings and Tom Kenny
Garfield: Frank Welker
Nice List, I made one of my own a while ago to picture what could be the actors of the game.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Nick: An Aaahh!!! Real Monsters rep? You sure about that? You really sure? You REALLY REALLY sure? Okay, fine, you can have Oblina I guess...
Also Nick: Broadcasts A!RM for several hours each day on their Spanish channel on Pluto TV.

I mean it may not be the English channel (which on Pluto is basically a Flanderization of modern Nick), but they're still broadcasting the show too much to find the mere concept of an A!RM rep questionable. It's kind of funny how the English and Spanish versions of Nick on Pluto are complete opposites: English Nick is, like I said, a Flanderization of the cable network except on Friday where they do a marathon of a random classic Nicktoon, while Spanish Nick plays A!RM very frequently and throws in Rocko's Modern Life, The Wild Thornberrys, and Hey Arnold into the mix too.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Nick: An Aaahh!!! Real Monsters rep? You sure about that? You really sure? You REALLY REALLY sure? Okay, fine, you can have Oblina I guess...
Also Nick: Broadcasts A!RM for several hours each day on their Spanish channel on Pluto TV.

I mean it may not be the English channel (which on Pluto is basically a Flanderization of modern Nick), but they're still broadcasting the show too much to find the mere concept of an A!RM rep questionable. It's kind of funny how the English and Spanish versions of Nick on Pluto are complete opposites: English Nick is, like I said, a Flanderization of the cable network except on Friday where they do a marathon of a random classic Nicktoon, while Spanish Nick plays A!RM very frequently and throws in Rocko's Modern Life, The Wild Thornberrys, and Hey Arnold into the mix too.
Nick is pretty weird when it comes to the treatment of their old IPs, but at least they treat their old IPs with far greater respect than CN and Disney Channel do.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
The character I'm the most curious about how VA will be handled for is Reptar - will he use grunts? roars? Personally I'd prefer a comically dramatic opretta voice a la Reptar on Ice.
Better idea. Default and purple Reptar will use roars and grunts. Some sampled from the show. But there's a new skin add to the game called "Reptar on Ice" that looks like the mascot suit from the episode with ice skates. That version will exclusively use the opretta voice and even the guy in the suit complaining when he takes damage. "I can't skate, I don't like kids and if you wanna know the actual fact lizards give me the creeps"
NICKELODEON_RUGRATS_023_198616_1920x1080.jpg

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
The character I'm the most curious about how VA will be handled for is Reptar - will he use grunts? roars? Personally I'd prefer a comically dramatic opretta voice a la Reptar on Ice.
I would bet he would have roar sounds like godzilla. Though that's mainly me not seeing too much of Reptar or Remember if he roared in Rugrats in Paris.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
He did have a voice in "Toy Palace", an early episode in Season 2, although it was just him saying "Halt. I am Reptar" over and over again.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I've had some miscellaneous thoughts for a while that I've never felt were particularly relevant to what was being discussed in this thread. Seeing as it hasn't been active in a while, I'll go ahead and throw some of them out, in hopes of sparking discussion.

First, I'm gonna talk about Spongebob characters. Spongebob has a principal cast of 6 characters, Spongebob, Patrick, Sandy, Squidward, Mr. Krabs, and Plankton. Obviously, all 6 deserve to be playable at some point in the series, and I think playable Plankton would almost certainly end up being Plankton and Karen. It's Spongebob's secondary characters (other than Karen) where I think the subject becomes interesting. I've seen people throw around ideas like Mermaid Man and Larry the Lobster.

Personally, I don't like those ideas. To me, concepts like Larry the Lobster feel perfunctory. Like "Oh we gotta add more Spongebob characters, right?" Playable Larry doesn't feel like an exciting idea to me, it just feels like "a 7th Spongebob character." Is that just me? Are other people genuinely into the idea of Larry or Mermaid Man? (This feeling doesn't come from a general apathy towards Spongebob, btw. Spongebob was enormously formative to me and is absolutely one of my all-time favorite pieces of media.)

The only secondary spongebob character that does feel to me like an exciting idea for an NASB character is the one I've never heard anyone discuss, Mrs. Puff. Mrs. Puff is a much more important, dynamic, and well-developed character than the likes of Larry or Mermaid Man, and vehicles and Puffing up feel like fertile ground for novel moveset ideas.

Let me know what y'all think.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I've had some miscellaneous thoughts for a while that I've never felt were particularly relevant to what was being discussed in this thread. Seeing as it hasn't been active in a while, I'll go ahead and throw some of them out, in hopes of sparking discussion.

First, I'm gonna talk about Spongebob characters. Spongebob has a principal cast of 6 characters, Spongebob, Patrick, Sandy, Squidward, Mr. Krabs, and Plankton. Obviously, all 6 deserve to be playable at some point in the series, and I think playable Plankton would almost certainly end up being Plankton and Karen. It's Spongebob's secondary characters (other than Karen) where I think the subject becomes interesting. I've seen people throw around ideas like Mermaid Man and Larry the Lobster.

Personally, I don't like those ideas. To me, concepts like Larry the Lobster feel perfunctory. Like "Oh we gotta add more Spongebob characters, right?" Playable Larry doesn't feel like an exciting idea to me, it just feels like "a 7th Spongebob character." Is that just me? Are other people genuinely into the idea of Larry or Mermaid Man? (This feeling doesn't come from a general apathy towards Spongebob, btw. Spongebob was enormously formative to me and is absolutely one of my all-time favorite pieces of media.)

The only secondary spongebob character that does feel to me like an exciting idea for an NASB character is the one I've never heard anyone discuss, Mrs. Puff. Mrs. Puff is a much more important, dynamic, and well-developed character than the likes of Larry or Mermaid Man, and vehicles and Puffing up feel like fertile ground for novile moveset ideas.

And I'm gonna talk about TLH reps. Particularly, TLH reps don't get talked about a lot. Mostly due to how new the show is. But quite a few sisters would be great as fighters, particularly Luna, Luan, Lynn Jr., Lana, and Lisa. I can't think of movesets for the other four sisters, and Clyde would be too similar to Lincoln to justify inclusion. And then, there's Ronnie Anne. While she could be added as a promo pick for the Casagrandes, she would be redundant if they add one of the Rocket Power kids to the roster.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Are you telling me you're NOT into the idea of Mermaid Man?
I have complicated feelings about Mermaid Man.

You see, Ernest Borgnine was Mermaid Man's voice actor, who died in 2012. Due to a combination of Stephen Hillenburg requesting he never be replaced with a sound-alike and respect for his death, cast members have stated that Mermaid Man as a character should be considered permanently retired.

I'm not certain how to feel about his inclusion. He'd be fun, but the things around the inclusion make it feel awkward.

LimeTH

Smash Lord

The only secondary spongebob character that does feel to me like an exciting idea for an NASB character is the one I've never heard anyone discuss, Mrs. Puff. Mrs. Puff is a much more important, dynamic, and well-developed character than the likes of Larry or Mermaid Man, and vehicles and Puffing up feel like fertile ground for novile moveset ideas.

I don't really know why, but for whatever reason I feel like Squidward wouldn't fit into a game like this. I'd much prefer Krabs or Plankton if we get any other Spongebob characters. And even then, that should be it. Maybe something more obscure and outlandish like Mermaid Man would be fun to shake things up, since having all six principle characters just kind of feels too predictable.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Thaddeus is the chaddest dev.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
1642582402270.png

Well Guys, Looks Like We're Getting Another Smash Inspired "Mobile" Game and It Features Original Characters.
The Apple Girl Looks Cute.

Edit 1/19/22 at 1:54 AM: Here's a picture i was originally gonna upload in full size
1642582472317.png

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Hype!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

Hype!
Is it just me or has Western got a graphical uplift? Might just be that I play on Switch.

Top Bottom