• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This is so disgusting, I feel so bad for Ludosity. They're really trying over here to do their best with what they're given and despite Nick telling them they want a good, competitive fighting game and the interest and hype being there from the fans they're just kneecapping what Ludosity can actually do. This sucks. I hope this gives them a way to have some leverage at the negotiation table. I don't want this to become a "should have been great" game when it's already fun and could easily be so much more.

amageish

Smash Master
The Tennis game is being made internally by Nick/Viacom, so I guess it isn't shocking they had more freedom... but it's still really frustrating and weird! Why outsource NASB to a hand-picked team known for making competitive games, fund tournaments of said game, and then add in a bunch of legal red tape that causes the game to launch without basic features of the genre when non-outsourced projects can do whatever they want fine? The benefits of outsourcing are being removed through your own extra restrictions...

The tennis game is apparently optimized for Apple TV, so maybe calling it a mobile game is reductive, but... It still seems like a weird project to put so much effort into... Also the roster just confuses me: It's 2021 and I would assume this game is primarily for kids, but it has two Hey Arnold reps while every other IP (including SpongeBob!) only has one and there are no representatives whatsoever from any 2010s/2020s show (ignoring the immortal SpongeBob and rebooted stuff like Rugrats, TMNT, and Garfield).

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The Tennis game is being made internally by Nick/Viacom, so I guess it isn't shocking they had more freedom... but it's still really frustrating and weird! Why outsource NASB to a hand-picked team known for making competitive games, fund tournaments of said game, and then add in a bunch of legal red tape that causes the game to launch without basic features of the genre when non-outsourced projects can do whatever they want fine? The benefits of outsourcing are being removed through your own extra restrictions...

The tennis game is apparently optimized for Apple TV, so maybe calling it a mobile game is reductive, but... It still seems like a weird project to put so much effort into... Also the roster just confuses me: It's 2021 and I would assume this game is primarily for kids, but it has two Hey Arnold reps while every other IP (including SpongeBob!) only has one and there are no representatives whatsoever from any 2010s/2020s show (ignoring the immortal SpongeBob and rebooted stuff like Rugrats, TMNT, and Garfield).
It doesn't even have Lincoln or any TLH content whatsoever, which is weird.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Yeah, I can hardly blame Rep here. If I found out a mobile tennis game was getting the resources it needed to be successful right off the bat, but my $50 PC/console release didn't, I'd probably go full Joker mode too.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Looks like they were more interested in accumulating bucks from mobile games than console ones in the first place.

So...why were they interested in NASB being an esport, and let GameMill give away special editions of the Xbox Series X/S, if they're going to do this ****?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
  • Interested in making a competitive platform fighter involving Nick, even hiring indie devs who've made a platform fighter before...but be very restrictive about alts, and don't give them the time/funding video games usually get
  • Constantly said no to Oblina and PTM before giving up, even though their desire for nostalgia bucks extends to monsters that are real and even wanting to make Powdered Toast a real thing before John K's allegations
  • And now they're making a mobile tennis game that's less restrictive about what Nick characters can say/wear than NASB is
The inner machinations of Nickelodeon's mind are an enigma.

amageish

Smash Master
The Tennis game having gacha elements is kind of weird, as it being on Apple Arcade means it'll have to be microtransaction-free, so... uh... I guess it'll having gambling mechanics as a way to extend gametime without having to make new content or a non-gambling-based unlock system? Odd...

Not that I have much interest in it in general... Multiplayer tennis games can be fun, but I don't have an Apple TV for it and the roster is, uh, not exactly trying to appeal to me personally thus far.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
that whole dev story explains a lot. cant even have had time to come up with decent pre battle qoutes for the arcade mode and just went with what the character is known for saying when they could have gotten qoutes that were more suited

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
that whole dev story explains a lot. cant even have had time to come up with decent pre battle qoutes for the arcade mode and just went with what the character is known for saying when they could have gotten qoutes that were more suited
It wasn't even a time issue, Nick just straight-up wouldn't let them write new dialogue for the characters for some reason. Really sucks when we could've seen Nigel react to the Turtles or Garfield telling Korra to read the funny pages or something.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It wasn't even a time issue, Nick just straight-up wouldn't let them write new dialogue for the characters for some reason. Really sucks when we could've seen Nigel react to the Turtles or Garfield telling Korra to read the funny pages or something.
Well my point was that even without new dialogue there was still better stuff they could have said. Garfield for example could have had: never touch mr grumpy before noon!

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Well my point was that even without new dialogue there was still better stuff they could have said. Garfield for example could have had: never touch mr grumpy before noon!
I did practice doing special interactions with Patrick and Garfield during my weekends playing arcade mode.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Art director Diego is on Hbox's stream, says that the 2nd free DLC character is coming "in the near future" and that there are "a lot" of characters and content in development. Also confirms crossplay in Q1 2022.

EDIT: Says there's another major community requested feature in the works, says the communitiy's "voices have been heard," nudge nudge wink wink.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Patrick calling April "Pretty" similar to Mindy
Patrick asking Sandy if Mayonesse is an instrument(This might work better with Squidward)
Patrick pointing at Nigel's Nose
Patrick being happy to see Spongebob
Garfield liking Patrick's ways of laziness
Garfield seeing Helga and asks himself if Jon's Twin Cousins came to visit again(They're from The Garfield Show)
Garfield telling Mikey to quit wasting the pizza, the latter talks back at him.
Garfield seeing CatDog and says something about how he's glad he isn't stuck together with Odie.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
If we are indeed getting VA, I wonder who will voice Garfield - does Nick have an official Garfield VA yet?
Nick doesn't have a confirmed VA for Garfield right now, but Frank Weller's voiced the character in most media since 2007, so I'd envision they'd go with him if they don't find somebody new.

Chris Pratt voicing Garfield in NASB would be hilarious, but I don't see it happening.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Hi guys! Deusmoon here, just coming with quick news, you probably saw the Hungrybox stream.

- The latest free DLC character will be coming to the game pretty soon.

- There are a bunch of characters and stages in the works right now.

- Crossplay will be available on Q1 2022

- We've been HEARING your requests, and we'll make sure you'll be HEARING from us soon :)
Quote from dev.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Not gonna lie; Hearing all this makes me feel really happy, especially after everything about that Apple Arcade tennis game. The devs are still kicking, and maybe this means some good news for Nick's viewpoint on the game going forward.
That's basically how this thread works - doomer mode, good news, doomer mode, good news, repeat cycle.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I just gotta say, the grand finals of Hbox's tourney is one of the most exciting NASB sets I've ever seen. Definitely worth a watch when you get a chance.

Top Bottom