• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I have to wonder about them not considering DLC. I'd imagine the devs would have ideas in their back pockets just in case. Or, at worst, some denied characters might be given the green light as 'first line' of DLC if the game proved successful. But I wish the devs luck. I really hope they get to keep working on the game if they're so inclined to do so. I'd love to have a bright future for the game.
Same. I imagine that they have enough enthusiasm in it to see it last a while.

On my end, I'm doing my part to get anyone I know of that the concept might appeal to get interested in the game (and get any digitial version I have access to, since I might grab it on PSN), every little bit helps.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
I honestly really hope we don't get another Thornberry character. I feel like there's too many varied and desired omissions the devs could and should focus on.

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
If we are talking about Licensed Nickelodeon shows possibly ever coming as DLC (I believe the devs may have teased it's something that's being considered), then we all know which one we need right away :p

Of course, the other main ones I'm seeing being thrown around are The DreamWorks characters that had Nickelodeon shows (Po and Skipper being the main ones) and Goku due to Dragon Ball's History on Nickelodeon. Less commonly discussed but definitely still possible ones are Alvin and the Chipmunks and Smurfs (probably would go with Smurfette), both which I would like to see, especially since having them in the game would really make this a Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue reunion lol.

The most far out there ones and the least likely to happen but could still happen on technicalities are Bugs Bunny (as Looney tunes actually did appear on Nickelodeon for a while) and Finn and Jake (in homage to the original pilot for Adventure Time being for Nickelodeon). Those ones are very very unlikely especially since WB and Viacom probably would have trouble coming to a deal, but if they actually did happen it would be cool.

But yeah, the most likely to happen and the ones more people seem set upon are Kappa Mikey, Po, Skipper, and Goku, which if we could get just those 4 that would be amazing honestly

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I honestly really hope we don't get another Thornberry character. I feel like there's too many varied and desired omissions the devs could and should focus on.
I'm not opposed to another being added. It's just the options for an interesting one are limited after Nigel. Donny seems like the most logical addition but he's in a stage so I dunno if he'd get an upgrade from cameo to playable or not. Darwin just doesn't seem suited since he's not really the wild or fighting type, akin to how Arnold might have been passed over for Helga.

Though I do want Eugine to be the Dan Hibiki/Pichu of this game. So badly. So if we get another Hey Arnold rep, I REAAAALY want him. XD

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
If we are talking about Licensed Nickelodeon shows possibly ever coming as DLC (I believe the devs may have teased it's something that's being considered), then we all know which one we need right away :p

Of course, the other main ones I'm seeing being thrown around are The DreamWorks characters that had Nickelodeon shows (Po and Skipper being the main ones) and Goku due to Dragon Ball's History on Nickelodeon. Less commonly discussed but definitely still possible ones are Alvin and the Chipmunks and Smurfs (probably would go with Smurfette), both which I would like to see, especially since having them in the game would really make this a Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue reunion lol.

The most far out there ones and the least unlikely to happen but could still happen on technicalities are Bugs Bunny (as Looney tunes actually did appear on Nickelodeon for a while) and Finn and Jake (in homage to the original pilot for Adventure Time being for Nickelodeon). Those ones are very very unlikely especially since WB and Viacom probably would have trouble coming to a deal, but if they actually did happen it would be cool.

But yeah, the most likely to happen and the ones more people seem set upon are Kappa Mikey, Po, Skipper, and Goku, which if we could get just those 4 that would be amazing honestly
There's also The Power Rangers if they ever DO consider live-action in the near future.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I think the idea of Eliza Thornberry getting in and her moveset revolving around using actual animals for the majority of her moves would be pretty interesting

I know Nigel has 2 moves already where he does that (Mosquito Clap and Crocodile Wrangling), but I guess for Eliza you could expand upon that to make it be attributed to almost all her moves to give her a very unique moveset.

However I do think she is very low on the list of Nickelodeon characters that are being considered honestly, it seems more that the team really only wanted Nigel, just leaving the possibility for Eliza open though

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I think the idea of Eliza Thornberry getting in and her moveset revolving around using actual animals for the majority of her moves would be pretty interesting

I know Nigel has 2 moves already where he does that (Mosquito Clap and Crocodile Wrangling), but I guess for Eliza you could expand upon that to make it be attributed to almost all her moves to give her a very unique moveset.

However I do think she is very low on the list of Nickelodeon characters that are being considered honestly, it seems more that the team really only wanted Nigel, just leaving the possibility for Eliza open though
And Nigel was just the clear cut choice, IMO. If you're going to use a Thornberries character, Nigel has the most personality and you can (And they have) done for a move set for him considering his profession. Plus, a smidge of meme potential.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
There's also The Power Rangers if they ever DO consider live-action in the near future.
The issue with LA shows is getting the actors' likenesses, which won't be a problem if a Power Ranger stays suited up the whole time.

Not saying getting one would be easy, mind you.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
I'm not opposed to another being added. It's just the options for an interesting one are limited after Nigel. Donny seems like the most logical addition but he's in a stage so I dunno if he'd get an upgrade from cameo to playable or not. Darwin just doesn't seem suited since he's not really the wild or fighting type, akin to how Arnold might have been passed over for Helga.

Though I do want Eugine to be the Dan Hibiki/Pichu of this game. So badly. So if we get another Hey Arnold rep, I REAAAALY want him. XD
I just don't find it preferable, too many cartoons and potential characters they can choose from.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Mmm, power rangers are some of the few times where a liive action character could be an easy work in for the game (aside from licensing), the other one I can think of is Nacho Libre since he wears a mask.

Also I just came to the realization, if they actually did manage to somehow work out a deal with WB to put Bugs Bunny in the game, 100% they would make Big Chungus his taunt
ಠ_ಠ

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So I found a video that points out a neat little detail: apparently in team battles, the teammates for the projected winner have their own unique victory animation that you wouldn't see otherwise.

For example, if SpongeBob is on the winning team (but isn't up front and center), then he can be seen doing this wave-like motion with his arms.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, though I would assume it'd be Tommy Oliver/the Green Ranger, seeing how his actor would like any feasible opportunity to have his character highlighted.

If not, the first Red Ranger can get in easy.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
You have just unearthed locked away memories and I'm going to sue you for it.

Sidenote does Wayside hold up? I don't remember it that well
It's okay, it's got some funny jokes and memorable characters, but they never really shine a lot aside from one (Myron). As an adaptation, it's pretty bad if you compare it to the books (most of the characters are poorly represented in the show).

LimeTH

Smash Lord

The most far out there ones and the least likely to happen but could still happen on technicalities are Bugs Bunny (as Looney tunes actually did appear on Nickelodeon for a while) and Finn and Jake (in homage to the original pilot for Adventure Time being for Nickelodeon). Those ones are very very unlikely especially since WB and Viacom probably would have trouble coming to a deal, but if they actually did happen it would be cool.

I'd actually say Goku is the least likely out of anyone. Apparently Toei owns the licensing rights and they're supposedly super hardassed about it, which would make it especially hard for this small budget indie developed American cartoon based game. There is also most likely some different standards when licensing Japanese characters in general. They'd be better off trying to secure the ability to use the Federator characters or Dreamworks characters.

Plus Dragonball has WAY more history with Cartoon Network, it even still airs on it to this day.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Mmm, power rangers are some of the few times where a liive action character could be an easy work in for the game (aside from licensing), the other one I can think of is Nacho Libre since he wears a mask.

Also I just came to the realization, if they actually did manage to somehow work out a deal with WB to put Bugs Bunny in the game, 100% they would make Big Chungus his taunt
ಠ_ಠ
Knowing Ludo, Big Chungus would likely be his down air strong.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

ಠ_ಠ
If they ever deal with Warner I'd love not only to get Bugs Bunny but also Wakko from Animaniacs. Animaniacs is one my favorite cartoons of all time. Probably never going to happen but it would be huge.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hell if anything, I hope NASB inspires WB to try their own cartoon based platform fighter.

Looney Tunes, DCAU, Hanna-Barbera, Cartoon Network, Amblin, etc
Yeah, I mean the most glaring CN series omissions that lack a proper console fighting game appearance are Steven Universe and OK K.O. Let's Be Heroes (the latter one, in particular, has almost anyone viable as an option).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Steven Universe characters are in Brawlhalla, if that counts.
That's true, although that game randomly adds anyone from anything anyways, due to the way that crossover skins work.

There's Hellboy, Finn, Jake, Princess Bubblegum, the TMNT, Po, Tigress, Tai Lung, and several Walking Dead characters, among many others.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
That's true, although that game randomly adds anyone from anything anyways, due to the way that crossover skins work.

There's Hellboy, Finn, Jake, Princess Bubblegum, the TMNT, Po, Tigress, Tai Lung, and several Walking Dead characters, among many others.
I think that's why that game has turned me away. It's the Fortnite of platform fighters.

I do not want that for this game either. Maintain a theme/coherency/integrity. Don't just throw any ol' thing in there 'because this would be cool!'.

amageish

Smash Master
Okay, now watched some Wayside as an adult. And it was... perfectly fine, but nothing really noteworthy. Definitely overrelied on "We subverted your expectations by having something physically impossible happen!" jokes, but they were mostly enjoyable nonetheless. I liked the joke with the principal banning all circles from the school and that extending to stuff like Maurecia's fist having to become square-shaped... Again, seemed to be a fine show, but nothing actively worth revisiting if you don't have nostalgia for it that you would like to sedate.

Anyway, of the IPs that Nick has licensed for use before, the two that stand out to me on the Wikipedia page list are Peanuts (which would be cool to have with Garfield, if nothing else) and Star Trek (which seems to fit the Garfield situation of having previously had a show that aired on Nick and now, thanks to corporate consolidation, is getting an actual Nick show of its own). Not to say that I especially want characters from either of those IPs in the game, but they stand out to me on the list.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think that's why that game has turned me away. It's the Fortnite of platform fighters.

I do not want that for this game either. Maintain a theme/coherency/integrity. Don't just throw any ol' thing in there 'because this would be cool!'.
Yeah, so I think we should move back to the actual point of this game: the properties that Nick owns.

On that note, the bonus fighters are specifically important because of a rather cathartic historical importance. Garfield & Friends used to air on the same block as '87 TMNT on CBS, with the former playfully dunking on it at any given opportunity.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Yeah, so I think we should move back to the actual point of this game: the properties that Nick owns.

On that note, the bonus fighters are specifically important because of a rather cathartic historical importance. Garfield & Friends used to air on the same block as '87 TMNT on CBS, with the former playfully dunking on it at any given opportunity.
Garfield isn't even a negative for me especially since he's owned by Nick now. And having a guest or two, even if he wasn't owned by them, is fine. It's when you start throwing everything into the pot and calling it a stew instead of slop that I start to get annoyed.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Okay, so when does everyone expect to hear about the bonus fighters? Kinda doubt they'd be ready by Halloween.
It really depends on how far into development the characters already were by the time of release. If one was close to being done but couldn't make it by launch then it could be quite possible to see one as soon as Halloween.

I'd say by end of month, mid of next month at latest for the first one.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, I assume the Goku comment was said for press purposes and less so for pragmatic future plans reason. I do wonder if Viacom IPs that Nick is working with like Star Trek will count now that I seriously think about it though... Like, it would be very stupid and bizarre and weird, but Janeway or a Prodigy OC would technically check off all the same boxes as characters in the base roster!

Okay, so when does everyone expect to hear about the bonus fighters? Kinda doubt they'd be ready by Halloween.
Not expecting them for a month or so. I am curious how they will space out the DLC, as they have a lot of stuff in the works, but they probably want to start balancing the workload between all-new DLC characters and finishing the postphoned content, as to ensure content is continuously releasing, as opposed to dropping all the delayed-from-base-game content and then having nothing for like 5 months.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It really depends on how far into development the characters already were by the time of release.
Garfield's stage looks 100% complete from leaked footage, but all we have of Garfield is a gray Spongebob shooting out placeholder models that work like Garfield's specials supposedly will.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Now that voice mods are a thing, I recorded a video of what a 4-player free for all sounds like in this game if everyone had voices.
I appreciate that modders went through this, but I can still tell there's some corner cutting. Since modders can only replace sound effects instead of making new ones play in certain situations, fighters still can't grunt or make any other noise when they get hit or use an attack that doesn't have a character-specific sound.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I appreciate that modders went through this, but I can still tell there's some corner cutting. Since modders can only replace sound effects instead of making new ones play in certain situations, fighters still can't grunt or make any other noise when they get hit or use an attack that doesn't have a character-specific sound.
Actually, yes they can. The current version of voice mods can add voice clips to anything, including being hit, dying (including having different voice lines for dying off different sides of the stage), and any attack. In addition, the current version of voice mods has compatibility for having more than one line per attack, including adding silent clips so that the lines don't play every time.

This video is a much more accurate portrayal of voice mods as they currently stand. The video I recorded was just chaos for the sake of chaos.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I have to wonder about them not considering DLC. I'd imagine the devs would have ideas in their back pockets just in case. Or, at worst, some denied characters might be given the green light as 'first line' of DLC if the game proved successful. But I wish the devs luck. I really hope they get to keep working on the game if they're so inclined to do so. I'd love to have a bright future for the game.
I imagine the devs probably had some ideas in mind, they just weren't all gung-ho about it before the game suddenly blew up like it did and DLC became a known quantity.
So I found a video that points out a neat little detail: apparently in team battles, the teammates for the projected winner have their own unique victory animation that you wouldn't see otherwise.

For example, if SpongeBob is on the winning team (but isn't up front and center), then he can be seen doing this wave-like motion with his arms.
Is this where Nigel finally does the thing with his hands?
I thought that was Smash Bros.

I'm not expecting them until closer to the end of the year TBH. The devs are gonna be bogged down for a bit fixing bugs and exploits and the like, now that people have the game in their hands and are discovering stuff like Sandy's infinite and Michelangelo's Luigi Ladder. Unless one of the characters is a LOT closer to being finished than we think they are and they plan on revealing them one at a time, I don't think we'll see any post-launch reveals until November at the absolute earliest.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Actually, yes they can. The current version of voice mods can add voice clips to anything, including being hit, dying (including having different voice lines for dying off different sides of the stage), and any attack. In addition, the current version of voice mods has compatibility for having more than one line per attack, including adding silent clips so that the lines don't play every time.

This video is a much more accurate portrayal of voice mods as they currently stand. The video I recorded was just chaos for the sake of chaos.
Ooh, this looks (sounds?) great. I take back what I said.

Faso115

Smash Lord
So because i'm bored, i decided to check how likely is every character to have their original va reprise the role

POSSIBLE
  • All spongebob characters usually retain their VAs so i think these are safe choices. There is only one tricky character in this regard but he isn't in the game yet
  • Janet Varney as Korra feels like a safe return, she did reprise the role in the Smite collab (and was the only one to do so btw)
  • Jessica DiCicco as Lucy also feels like a safe guess.
  • Cam Clarke is still active and i can see him reprising Leo but it's been a while
  • Richard Horvitz would probably be down, this whole nonsense started after he was asked if he was voicing Zim in this game i think
  • If you have Tom Kenny back for Spongebob then Dog is covered. That leaves Jim Cummings for Cat.
  • Billy West for Ren and Stimpy could be possible. Lol imagine if we got John K instead
NOT HAPPENING
  • Oblina and Powdered Toast Man's voice actors passed away so they have to be replaced
  • Aang's original VA was a kid and hit puberty so also has to be replaced
UNSURE
  • Does anyone know if David Kaufman is still active for Danny?
  • Francesca Marie Smith retired from voice acting but she still came back to voice Helga for the movie. Maybe she can do it for this game too? Who knows
  • Lincoln is usually voiced by child actors and changes once they hit puberty so i guess whoever is the latest one will voice Lincoln
  • AFAIK, Reptar has no voice
  • Not sure if whoever voiced Mikey and April are still active
  • Tim Curry is a big one. He had a stroke that made him retire from voice acting but he could come back in theory
  • Toph was also voice by a child actress but maybe she can return if feasable. I dunno

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I thought that was Smash Bros.

No, because Smash specifically is a celebration of video games. It has a theme, coherency and integrity.

Fornite has become the 75 year old lady of the night who used to be high class but lost any sort of standards she may of had and the gates are open for anyone if you've got money.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
  • All spongebob characters usually retain their VAs so i think these are safe choices. There is only one tricky character in this regard but he isn't in the game yet
If you're talking about Mr. Krabs, the only reason Clancy Brown didn't return to voice him in BFBB is because he had a scheduling conflict at the time. The dude does voice acting for games all the time - he actually voiced Dr. Neo Cortex in Crash 2, 3, and Wrath of Cortex, true story.

Top Bottom