• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Faso115

Smash Lord
Strange how TMNT is the one franchise that seems like the one to get a lot of reps. I mean, i guess its natural when you have 4 main characters.

Counting all the datamined names, TMNT could have around 8/9 characters, making it the pokemon of this game

dlewis53

Smash Lord
...You know what? I'm starting to get pissed now:

I got a call from my local Gamestop informing me that due to a shipment error they STILL haven't received the physical version of the game, and the person calling didn't inform me of a potential date when they might get it by, only that they'd call me back when they did get it.

Like, seriously, I'm wishing time travel was a thing so I could go back and tell my past self to just go with the digital version!

...I apologize if I'm coming off as annoying, but it's just frustrating that I have to wait this long for the physical version of the game, while the rest of you guys get to enjoy it. I'm REALLY hoping I enjoy the game now just to be able to justify waiting this long!

LimeTH

Smash Lord
The Angry Beavers
They'd probably be a bit weird to implement because they'd have to be either an Ice Climbers duo or a stance character. I guess it could also just be Dag by himself because this is the same game that only has half of the Turtles.
I still don't see where everyone's getting the idea that the Beavers HAVE to be a duo or a stance character as opposed to two separate characters. Other sibling pairs in this game are in separate slots and we already have two duos who fight by attacking each other.

Nah if anything I hope they come back to the idea. He'd be great.
No thank you, a 5th TMNT rep and it's Shredder's throwaway goon who isn't even a consistent mainstay in TMNT eras? That'd be trash and would easily be the most divisive and hated character. Even among TMNT fans he's a controversial pick since over any cool villain like Krang or cool choice like Splinter we get friggin Rocksteady. A complete joke.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
No thank you, a 5th TMNT rep and it's Shredder's throwaway goon who isn't even a consistent mainstay in TMNT eras? That'd be trash and would easily be the most divisive and hated character. Even among TMNT fans he's a controversial pick since over any cool villain like Krang or cool choice like Splinter we get friggin Rocksteady.
wow cool rhino

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Should I continue to spoiler? It seems like everyone knows about this by now, but I will just to be safe.

I think people are jumping the gun a bit expecting however many TMNT characters. My perspective on this is that the team was likely presented with the option of using the four turtles, but for variety sake opted for April and Shredder on top of two turtles of their choice. Personally I don't expect too much beyond that, but Bebop and Rocksteady are cool so I'd be fine with that down the line.

I really really hope that for a fanservice platform fighter already filled with many glaring omissions they don't prioritize the joke goons that are completely outclassed in potential, likability, and fans.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I got nothing against TMNT and I wouldn't complain about what choices they put in, but yeah I'm hoping they don't overdo it with TMNT characters over more unrepresented Nick IPs. We don't even have Rocko yet.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I really really hope that for a fanservice platform fighter already filled with many glaring omissions they don't prioritize the joke goons that are completely outclassed in potential, likability, and fans.
Call me crazy but I think you being the only person upset about this alongside the fact that the devs are working hard to address issues people have with the game means that they do indeed care about the fans who aren't so obsessed with TMNT that they see more visually distinct characters than 4 that look identical as an insult

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

I got a call from my local Gamestop informing me that due to a shipment error they STILL haven't received the physical version of the game, and the person calling didn't inform me of a potential date when they might get it by, only that they'd call me back when they did get it.

Like, seriously, I'm wishing time travel was a thing so I could go back and tell my past self to just go with the digital version!

...I apologize if I'm coming off as annoying, but it's just frustrating that I have to wait this long for the physical version of the game, while the rest of you guys get to enjoy it. I'm REALLY hoping I enjoy the game now just to be able to justify waiting this long!
I feel you there, man.

Hopefully they have a copy saved for me today when i get there.

Call me crazy but I think you being the only person upset about this alongside the fact that the devs are working hard to address issues people have with the game means that they do indeed care about the fans who aren't so obsessed with TMNT that they see more visually distinct characters than 4 that look identical as an insult
It's not just me though, the majority of people in the discord don't like the idea. And multiple people in this very thread find certain exclusions to be not a good thing.

The dumbest thing about Rocksteady is that he's not a huge important part in TMNT. He's just a goon not mainstay nor a must-have. This isn't a TMNT beat em up where the deep cut picks are cool and make a lot of sense. Shredder and April aren't deep cut picks either, they're mainstays and popular characters who fit in a game like this all the same. They aren't my preferred characters but they make sense.

NASB has numerous nick shows and should prioritize characters people like. "Visually distinct characters" huge cartoony turtles fit right at home in a game like this, and we already have our visually distinct stuff in the form of Shredder and April, we don't need a 5th character that isn't even what people want at all.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If Nick All Star had side specials, what would the characters have as their attacks?

Spongebob could dash around as the Quickster which would work.
I think the issue with side specials comes down to how the directional attacks work. The devs said, as opposed to Smash where the direction determines where the attack goes, the directions in this game determine where the attacks launch. So neutral moves already cover sending the opponents sideways, making side attacks redundant.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Speaking as a non-turtle-fan, before Nick Brawl speculation I only knew a very small percentage of the TMNT cast, and they were:
  1. The turtles themselves
  2. Shredder
  3. Splinter
  4. April
  5. Krang
  6. Bebop and Rocksteady
(I was also vaguely familiar with Casey Jones, but I don't think I ever knew that he was part of TMNT. I also knew about Venus de Milo from Robot Chicken, but she isn't a major cast member)

When they came out years ago, I went into the Michael Bay movies blind about the franchise - much like Michael Bay himself did - and I instantly recognised Bebop and Rocksteady when they showed up and stared at their mutated furry PPs (only part I remember actually, that and Shredder needing subtitles), so if my anecdote is to be believed these two are a big deal.

Last edited:
Speaking as a non-turtle-fan, before Nick Brawl speculation I only knew a very small percentage of the TMNT cast, and they were:
  1. The turtles themselves
  2. Shredder
  3. Splinter
  4. April
  5. Krang
  6. Bebop and Rocksteady
(I was also vaguely familiar with Casey Jones, but I don't think I ever knew that he was part of TMNT.)

When they came out years ago, I went into the Michael Bay movies blind about the franchise - much like Michael Bay himself did - and I instantly recognised Bebop and Rocksteady when they showed up and stared at their mutated furry PPs (only part I remember actually, that and Shredder needing subtitles), so if my anecdote is to be believed these two are a big deal.
Casey Jones arguably takes the #6 spot more than Bebop and Rocksteady. The two are lesser characters, they were left out of TMNT content multiple times. Like Rise of the TMNT and the ever adored 2003 series. Casey meanwhile appears in them. Even the original TMNT creator has a disdain toward the two goons.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
I wonder if this game could add Final Smash-like attacks in the future. Doubt it given how they seem to use Melee as the basis of how gameplay was designed but more casual oriented mechanics would be dope.

AND PLEASE lets not make it cinematic. That's one of the lamest decisions that Ultimate ever did and makes all of the new character final smashes incredibly samey

I wonder if this game could add Final Smash-like attacks in the future. Doubt it given how they seem to use Melee as the basis of how gameplay was designed but more casual oriented mechanics would be dope.

AND PLEASE lets not make it cinematic. That's one of the lamest decisions that Ultimate ever did and makes all of the new character final smashes incredibly samey
Unlikely. At best we'll get them in future installments.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
so now that the games out how is it! I didnt pick it up yet!
The general consensus among people who've played it seems to be that it's very fun and good as a baseline, but came out in kind of a barebones state. Thankfully, the devs are already very interested in improving the game with time, and without spoiling anything, lots of planned content and features have already been datamined from within the game itself.
You just HAD to bring the Turtles Christmas Special into this, didn't you?

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
I still don't see where everyone's getting the idea that the Beavers HAVE to be a duo or a stance character as opposed to two separate characters. Other sibling pairs in this game are in separate slots and we already have two duos who fight by attacking each other.
I'm mainly saying that because I really don't think they'd dedicate two DLCs to the beavers. Only ways I could see them both being in the game but separate is if one's an alt costume or if one is a clone, and iirc they've said they don't want to do clones. Also I dunno how they'd function as a two-in-one fighter like R&S or CatDog unless they were made very tiny.

MarioKartRenderOwner

Smash Cadet
I think my stance on rocksteady is

I think if they still plan on him they should consider pushing him back a bit, Rocko, Jimmy, and Jenny for example should def come first to ensure you get those 3 kinda heavily demanded characters, after them i'm actually really open to the concept of weirder picks, i'm miss "uncle iroh would be a fun choice" im all for those kinda slightly less talked about picks otherwise

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
so now that the games out how is it! I didnt pick it up yet!
It's very bare-bones at the moment. However, the core gamplay is solid and fun, which I think takes higher priority.

Stuff like alt skins, additional characters, and voicelines can be added in future updates, but bad/unfun core gameplay can't be fixed easily. As I see it, this game is in a very good position since the main criticisms of NASB can easily be fixed by updates/mods.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Should I continue to spoiler? It seems like everyone knows about this by now, but I will just to be safe.

I think people are jumping the gun a bit expecting however many TMNT characters. My perspective on this is that the team was likely presented with the option of using the four turtles, but for variety sake opted for April and Shredder on top of two turtles of their choice. Personally I don't expect too much beyond that, but Bebop and Rocksteady are cool so I'd be fine with that down the line.
I'm extremely not ready for people to hate on TMNT additions lmao. I can't help it, it's super nostalgic for me. I don't think they'll go back to Bebop or Rocksteady but hey, I won't complain. Heavyweight bad guys are cool.
Assuming they aren't going Turtle Emblem with the DLC, they must've had a really hard time deciding who the TMNT reps would be - which is to be expected, toyetic villain of the week show, lots to work with
I think my stance on rocksteady is

I think if they still plan on him they should consider pushing him back a bit, Rocko, Jimmy, and Jenny for example should def come first to ensure you get those 3 kinda heavily demanded characters, after them i'm actually really open to the concept of weirder picks, i'm miss "uncle iroh would be a fun choice" im all for those kinda slightly less talked about picks otherwise
I could see them bring back either or both of the two doofuses later on in the DLC, they're the most consistently popular villains after Shredder and Krang, especially considering how disappointed fans were when they missed out on Smash-Up's roster.

But not before Don and Raph though, those two take priority (among others, like MarioKartRenderOwner MarioKartRenderOwner said) and TMNT fans are already slighted over their perfect attendance getting a dent, like a consistent A+ grade student scoring one B+.

Also, the game is staffed by TMNT fanboys, it'd be weird to not have even the slightest bit of bias involved. :p

Finally, I'm not even sure if I should spoiler anymore. Are the Discord mods even aware of this thread?

I'm mainly saying that because I really don't think they'd dedicate two DLCs to the beavers. Only ways I could see them both being in the game but separate is if one's an alt costume or if one is a clone, and iirc they've said they don't want to do clones. Also I dunno how they'd function as a two-in-one fighter like R&S or CatDog unless they were made very tiny.
For the record, I personally don't care how Daggett would be implemented as long as he's in the game at all. Anything more than a background appearance would be satisfactory for me.

Unlikely. At best we'll get them in future installments.
Besides, Final Smash-like attacks would be too slow for this game's playerbase, even if there aren't any cinematics involved. :4pacman:

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I feel that out of the beaver bros, Dag would be the most entertaining of the two if they had to pick one or the other. And he's usually far more animated, as it were, than Norb. So my bais would be him. ROBO TOE! MUSUCLAR BEAVER! NNGH! SPOOT!
Yeah, I agree that if we could only have one, Dag would be the way to go.

I'm still holding on hope for Beaver Brother Grudge Matches someday, be it through DLC or a sequel.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Yeah, I agree that if we could only have one, Dag would be the way to go.

I'm still holding on hope for Beaver Brother Grudge Matches someday, be it through DLC or a sequel.

Would be nifty! If DLC is a thing there's just so many sublime picks to expand currently repped franchises or tap into the many others still waiting their turn.

And they could get two voices if they do this, getting the VA for Zim and Dag in the same recording session XD

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, here's something I was thinking, since the staff references more controversial elements, would Squidward shoot out ink for one move if he gets into the game?

Oh, by the way, I didn't get around to saying this, but

I've informed one of my work colleagues at my library job's administration department about the game, and she'll make sure to inform the ones who take care of buying games for our repertoire of games for borrowing. I'll ask her for progress on this next week.

Hey, it was the most relevant TMNT clip for the current discussion! :p
This would have worked too.

I assume it's supply and demand issues.

With any luck, Garfield will be out by the time the physical game is for you.

Would be nifty! If DLC is a thing there's just so many sublime picks to expand currently repped franchises or tap into the many others still waiting their turn.

And they could get two voices if they do this, getting the VA for Zim and Dag in the same recording session XD
Exactly!

That's the most exciting thing about this really. Since Nick's repertoire is limited to Nicktoons until further notice, there'd be no issues getting to the good stuff ASAP, whether it's bigger or smaller series getting fan favorites, or touching currently unrepped series that would never get a fair shake outside of this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom