• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think drowning out criticisms towards a work of media, valid or otherwise, through emotional manipulation is "a good gesture" - but that's just me.
I just thought that a response image might help if someone came in here to show discontent about the possible SB character amount, but I'll just delete it. Should never have bothered... 🤕

I think that's a pretty fair review - Alex in the video version even makes a side-comment about how he feels it's awkward to review a game that clearly has the potential be be excellent when it is in a good-but-not-great state. I do like how Alex also acknowledges that platform fighters are a genre, as so many reviews just compare it to Smash and call it a Smash clone and act as if the only standard it should be held to is "Should you never play Smash Ultimate again and play this instead?".

You know, once we're into the DLC cycle and the marketing team is more, you know, prepared, it'd be cool to get some basic Smash-style trailers with puns like that Luan one has. They can be done in-engine like the Sm4sh DLC ones were done to save money...
One possibility I thought about was whether they'd be able to time announcements for specific occasions, like Shredder's after a new character for Shredder's Revenge gets announced, or Luan on April Fools if she ever became playable.

Come to think of it, how did these quick clips for NASB get made when they barely had budget for much else? It feels like the trailer music had at least half of the game's budget funneled into it, too.

Wouldn't be surprised if these were all done in-engine (though I wouldn't mind if they kept up this approach for convenience's sake, just warn us with Twitter posts the day before).

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I do think the game deserves around a 7 right now. It is obviously unfinished and pretty janky, but I'm glad that Gamemill and Ludosity are giving it love post release. It may be just a good, albeit janky game now, but NASB has potential to be something really special if treated with proper care.

The main thing NASB needs now is time to iron out the kinks and fill out the game with its planned content. However, my main fear for the game is how Nickelodeon will react once the initial buzz of NASB's release wears off. Nick is notoriously short-sighted, and they have a habit of shutting down promising IPs on a whim if they don't consistently meet expectations.

a.Asdsa

Smash Rookie
It absolutely confuses me how characters like Zuko and Filburt are apparently gonna be DLC but Raphael isn't. They can add as many irrelevant characters as they want, but not even finish the turtle lineup? Also where's Timmy Turner.

Garfield, Jimmy Neutron and Squidward are pretty hype though.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It absolutely confuses me how characters like Zuko and Filburt are apparently gonna be DLC but Raphael isn't.

They can add as many irrelevant characters as they want, but not even finish the turtle lineup? Also where's Timmy Turner.
Game Mill's list of names are simply suggestions, there's no guarantee that all of them will be used.

I do think the game deserves around a 7 right now. It is obviously unfinished and pretty janky, but I'm glad that Gamemill and Ludosity are giving it love post release. It may be just a good, albeit janky game now, but NASB has potential to be something really special if treated with proper care.

The main thing NASB needs now is time to iron out the kinks and fill out the game with its planned content. However, my main fear for the game is how Nickelodeon will react once the initial buzz of NASB's release wears off. Nick is notoriously short-sighted, and they have a habit of shutting down promising IPs on a whim if they don't consistently meet expectations.
It is absolutely important that the game gets a semi-consistent stream of sales, events and publicity, though I have no doubt that Ludosity will do everything in their power to stay within Nick's good graces. What I'm concerned about is what direction they have in mind for the DLC structure. There's still plenty we don't know about beyond the bonus leaks.

a.Asdsa

Smash Rookie
Game Mill's list of names are simply suggestions, there's no guarantee that all of them will be used.

Still. Why would Donatello be there but not Raphael?

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
It is absolutely important that the game gets a semi-consistent stream of sales, events and publicity, though I have no doubt that Ludosity will do everything in their power to stay within Nick's good graces. What I'm concerned about is what direction they have in mind for the DLC structure. There's still plenty we don't know about beyond the bonus leaks.
I'm honestly worried that this game is gonna tank after launch and nobody's gonna be playing it a year out. That happens way too often with alternative platform fighters and I really hope it doesn't happen to NASB.

a.Asdsa

Smash Rookie
It's Donnie from the Wild Thornberrys, not Donatello. Donatello's under Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Confusing, I know.
No, that isn't what it says on this website.

It lists both Donnie and Donatello as characters in the files.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
It absolutely confuses me how characters like Zuko and Filburt are apparently gonna be DLC but Raphael isn't. They can add as many irrelevant characters as they want, but not even finish the turtle lineup? Also where's Timmy Turner.

Garfield, Jimmy Neutron and Squidward are pretty hype though.
Honestly, the second you drop the word "irrelevant" in a criticism of a game's roster, that's when you've forfeited your right to be taken seriously in my book.

amageish

Smash Master
One possibility I thought about was whether they'd be able to time announcements for specific occasions, like Shredder's after a new character for Shredder's Revenge gets announced, or Luan on April Fools if she ever became playable.

Come to think of it, how did these quick clips for NASB get made when they barely had budget for much else? It feels like the trailer music had at least half of the game's budget funneled into it, too.

Wouldn't be surprised if these were all done in-engine (though I wouldn't mind if they kept up this approach for convenience's sake, just warn us with Twitter posts the day before).
I'm sure tie-ins to other announcements would be controversial in the community, but I do like that holiday idea. Release a trailer that makes it unclear if Luan is actually coming to the game or if her inclusion is just a prank lol. It's the announcement Luan would have wanted (I have watched more TLH since I last talked about it and the April Fool's episode is easily one of my faves).

I am guessing those clips are largely composed of animations that were just unused in the final product. I know some dataminers have found plenty of rigs and animations that were seemingly being used as proofs of concepts to Nick, but just never turned up in the actual game - including Patrick stuffed in a tuba, which wasn't even used in the trailers.

No, that isn't what it says on this website.

It lists both Donnie and Donatello as characters in the files.
Both Donatello and Raphael are in the full list of voicelines, alongside a bunch of other TMNT characters. That website is incorrect.

The full list of files, which are placeholders and should not be taken as confirmation of anything, is: Angelica Pickles, Avatar Roku, Azula, Barnacle Boy, Beebop, Casey Jones, Chuckie Finster, Cindy Vortex, Dark Danny, Donatello, Donnie Thornberry, Eliza Thornberry, Filburt, Foot Clan, Gir, Jet, Jimmy Neutron, Katara, King Bumi, Krang, Mermaid Man, Metal Head, Mr Krabs, Plankton, Prince Zuko, Raphael, Ren Höek, Rocko, Rock Steady, Shredder, Skulker, Sokka, Splinter, Squidward, Stimpy, Susie Carmichal, Tommy Pickles, Uncle Iroh, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Vlad Plasmius

Timmy Turner and the FOP IP has been licensed out to other companies in some countries, so it would require more complicated negotiations to get the IP in this game (which is effectively releasing worldwide, even if it doesn't have support for every language).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Speaking of Donnie, I wonder how good the models for the background cameos are for a base if one gets promoted, because the render of the Gromble on the settings menu is too detailed for a model that stays in the background. He and Donnie's models are probably downscaled for background use, and I doubt the Gromble will be made playable regardless, but still, you don't put in that level of detail into his hair if he barely takes up that much of the screen in-game.

Last edited:

a.Asdsa

Smash Rookie
I'm honestly worried that this game is gonna tank after launch and nobody's gonna be playing it a year out. That happens way too often with alternative platform fighters and I really hope it doesn't happen to NASB.
I'm not worried about the game dying. As long as there's still players to play with next year it doesn't matter to me. There's plenty of "dead games" I still play.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
NASB does at least have the luck of coming just as Ultimate ended, so there'll be quite a bit that want something to fill the void. I'm not sure if people still follow Rivals of Aether, though, but it's probably the case.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
NASB does at least have the luck of coming just as Ultimate ended, so there'll be quite a bit that want something to fill the void. I'm not sure if people still follow Rivals of Aether, though, but it's probably the case.
RoA still has a following mainly thanks to its Steam Workshop support, which allows people to make custom fighters. OCs that fit RoA's aesthetic enough are even planned to be official additions.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Unfortunately, for how much people talk about Rivals, not many people actually play it these days. I speak from many fruitless days of sitting in Ranked matchmaking only to be put up against the same three people for over an hour. It's saddening.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
It's at least very successful as an IP, even if lobbies are pretty quiet outside of tournaments. I can't think of another platform fighter with OCs that has managed to get spin-off games that are also turning profits...

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
What will likely dictate the success of NASB is official support from the Devs/Gamer Mill/Nick. If they continue to support the game, specifically in a competitive sense by hosting tournaments then the game will continue to have a player base. They need to keep the coals stoked. The problem with Rivals, from what I gather, is the coals are pretty cold right now and had to rely on TO's strictly to keep interest in the game on a competitive level high. Let's be honest, games that don't have a big stage to draw people in can dwindle interest long term outside the die hards who will grind a game even if the player pool is tiny (Look at the SFII guys who still grind that game to this very day despite the player pool being fairly small).

Keeping NASB fresh in people's memory with reveals/updates/tournaments will help immensely over 'let the community carry us' like Smash has relied on for ages. WE built the Smash scene as we know it. Nintendo didn't. NASB can have a scene like that too if the players want there to be but having official support takes a lot of the sting out of it.

amageish

Smash Master
I mean this game has the benefits of being good and competitive and has an entire company's worth of iconic characters at its disposal. It's the only platform fighter I know of outside of Smash with that distinction.
It's definitely the highest-profile example. Fraymakers is in the works from the Super Smash Flash people and is trying to be an indie crossover, though I think it may be a little bit too insider-baseball in its current form (a lot of the roster is characters from other indie platform fighters, including Ultra Fishbunjin 3000 from Slap City). Indie Pogo is also a take on an indie crossover, but the "everyone is constantly jumping" thing turns a fair amount of people off. Brawlhalla has a lot of other IPs in it and that's come up in this thread a few times, but it has crossover characters as skins an not full-on characters...

Anyway, thinking about this game and its tendency to highlight meme areas and particularly funny episodes as stages... What's the odds Glitch Techs would come with a legally-not-FNAF stage if it gets in?

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
It's definitely the highest-profile example. Fraymakers is in the works from the Super Smash Flash people and is trying to be an indie crossover, though I think it may be a little bit too insider-baseball in its current form (a lot of the roster is characters from other indie platform fighters, including Ultra Fishbunjin 3000 from Slap City). Indie Pogo is also a take on an indie crossover, but the "everyone is constantly jumping" thing turns a fair amount of people off. Brawlhalla has a lot of other IPs in it and that's come up in this thread a few times, but it has crossover characters as skins an not full-on characters...

Anyway, thinking about this game and its tendency to highlight meme areas and particularly funny episodes as stages... What's the odds Glitch Techs would come with a legally-not-FNAF stage if it gets in?

Don't see why they couldn't. Shouldn't be any legal problems. FNAF doesn't own the concept of pizarria's with animatronics. Chuck-E-Cheeses, among others, are or were a thing. This isn't something they can slap a TM on.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Don't see why they couldn't. Shouldn't be any legal problems. FNAF doesn't own the concept of pizarria's with animatronics. Chuck-E-Cheeses, among others, are or were a thing. This isn't something they can slap a TM on.
The makers of FNAF are also pretty chill with their IP anyway. They even helped fund a bunch of fan knockoffs and a fanmade remake of the first game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean this game has the benefits of being good and competitive and has an entire company's worth of iconic characters at its disposal. It's the only platform fighter I know of outside of Smash with that distinction.

Yeah, platform fighters that crosses over indie characters tend to come and go like fads. Even Fraymakers might not have a scene that lasts that long after it releases, and its base roster is almost entirely made of deep cuts while the more noteworthy indie IPs are relegated to being assists.

That being said, after we got a giant kitchen, an imagination-powered desert playground based on a single episode and glove world as stages, yeah, I could see something like this get used.

On a side note, thanks to this game I'm getting into Nicktoons again and I reprised my first viewing of Spongebob season 9 where I left off.

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, platform fighters that crosses over indie characters tend to come and go like fads. Even Fraymakers might not have a scene that lasts that long after it releases, and its base roster is almost entirely made of deep cuts while the more noteworthy indie IPs are relegated to being assists.

That being said, after we got a giant kitchen, an imagination-powered desert playground based on a single episode and glove world as stages, yeah, I could see something like this get used.
Yeah, I'm wondering if Fraymakers seemingly directly targeting the competitive community by selecting almost entirely characters either from platform fighters or that have already been in other platforms as their main playable roster is going to pay off long-term. We'll see how it goes!

And, yes, we've had a lot of hyper-specific stages that were seemingly chosen either for comedy or to reference specific memes, so maybe the FNAF reference isn't too far off... Though, now that I am thinking about it, maybe it'd be funnier if they picked one of the expies of an IP in Smash. Like, who doesn't love the castle exploration platforming experience that is Castlestein?

Or, you know, cut right to the meme of Smash speculation and put in a setting from everyone's favourite JRPG that really needs more content in platform fighters... FIRE Age 4.

(also, hopefully you enjoy SpongeBob!)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, I'm wondering if Fraymakers seemingly directly targeting the competitive community by selecting almost entirely characters either from platform fighters or that have already been in other platforms as their main playable roster is going to pay off long-term. We'll see how it goes!

And, yes, we've had a lot of hyper-specific stages that were seemingly chosen either for comedy or to reference specific memes, so maybe the FNAF reference isn't too far off... Though, now that I am thinking about it, maybe it'd be funnier if they picked one of the expies of an IP in Smash. Like, who doesn't love the castle exploration platforming experience that is Castlestein?

Or, you know, cut right to the meme of Smash speculation and put in a setting from everyone's favourite JRPG that really needs more content in platform fighters... FIRE Age 4.

(also, hopefully you enjoy SpongeBob!)
Thanks, I'm just concerned about episodes like Little Yellow Book and Squid Baby. Though luckily the days of the middle seasons are long since behind me.

That said, I wonder if Glitch Techs would have one of the first transforming stages for this. It's one of the few Nicktoons IPs that could make this work.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

Good God, It's In My Head
I'M GONNA SMASH YOU, Hector

amageish

Smash Master
Thanks, I'm just concerned about episodes like Little Yellow Book and Squid Baby. Though luckily the days of the middle seasons are long since behind me.

That said, I wonder if Glitch Techs would have one of the first transforming stages for this. It's one of the few Nicktoons IPs that could make this work.
Yeah, I have generally not heard great things about modern-ish SpongeBob's writing quality, but I haven't checked it out myself either.

A transforming stage would be super cool, though I have to wonder if the reason we haven't had a transforming stage is less because of Nick shows not always lending themselves to them and more because of the game's budget... It does seem like Glitch Techs could be an extraordinarily meta franchise for this game though. If the game does get VO and Glitch Tech gets in, you can just let Miko run her own showcase!

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Yeah, I have generally not heard great things about modern-ish SpongeBob's writing quality, but I haven't checked it out myself either.

A transforming stage would be super cool, though I have to wonder if the reason we haven't had a transforming stage is less because of Nick shows not always lending themselves to them and more because of the game's budget... It does seem like Glitch Techs could be an extraordinarily meta franchise for this game though. If the game does get VO and Glitch Tech gets in, you can just let Miko run her own showcase!
Welcome to the Wayne has the potential for a transforming stage too. or more specifically a travelling stage.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Just got and played the game. Starting with Gamecube controllers was a mistake because MY GOD Smash muscle memory made it hard to deal with.

It's a lot of fun though, takes some getting used to and is ridiculously silly, but I'm having fun.

I cannot freaking wait for Garfield.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Just got and played the game. Starting with Gamecube controllers was a mistake because MY GOD Smash muscle memory made it hard to deal with.

It's a lot of fun though, takes some getting used to and is ridiculously silly, but I'm having fun.

I'm fortunate I had to ween off the GC controllers over the last year or so (Mine all eventually ran the course so I've switched to Pro styled controllers) and the game feels fantastic even with those. I can't wait until I'm off work so I can dive into the Quick Play cue again to spread toasty justice.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

No idea how things are like post-Hillenburg biting the big one, but seasons 9-11 are generally good. Seasons 5-8 are generally oof and 4 is okay, but I do love the first two episodes of season 4.

It would be funny if DLC was given double the budget to help pull things off like that, should the game be successful enough. Even with the small budget they have now there's still some impressive things they pulled off in some stages.

I'm fortunate I had to ween off the GC controllers over the last year or so (Mine all eventually ran the course so I've switched to Pro styled controllers) and the game feels fantastic even with those. I can't wait until I'm off work so I can dive into the Quick Play cue again to spread toasty justice.

More importantly, air dashing is less likely on GC controllers.

Also, if Garf gets in by Halloween, I propose that we all watch Garfield's Halloween Adventure in honor of Ze Diglett Ze Diglett .

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
No idea how things are like post-Hillenburg biting the big one, but seasons 9-11 are generally good. Seasons 5-8 are generally oof and 4 is okay, but I do love the first two episodes of season 4.

It would be funny if DLC was given double the budget to help pull things off like that, should the game be successful enough. Even with the small budget they have now there's still some impressive things they pulled off in some stages.

More importantly, air dashing is less likely on GC controllers.

Also, if Garf gets in by Halloween, I propose that we all watch Garfield's Halloween Adventure in honor of Ze Diglett Ze Diglett .
To Discord, Where Watch Garfield!!!

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
You can air dash on GC controllers, but there's no button for strafing.

Oof. Strafing is insanely useful too. :/ Glad I have a pro style after all!

edit: Though I suppose the grab macro could be forfiet for the strafe button since you can grab normally...but the grab button is also useful! Ah!

Last edited:

a.Asdsa

Smash Rookie
So is Garfield basically confirmed because of the stage or is there still a chance he won't be included?

Garfield is my most wanted so I'm curious.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I gotta say again how absolutely pumped I am for Garfield now that he's basically become an open secret.

This works on multiple levels. It's nostalgic for the days when Garfield was a viable property, it's a big meme reference, it's hilarious that the most anticipated upcoming competitive fighting game character next to Sora is ****ing Garfield, and it's a good sign to me that the IP is in fine hands with Nick.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So is Garfield basically confirmed because of the stage or is there still a chance he won't be included?

Garfield is my most wanted so I'm curious.
No character has ever been leaked to the extent of the staff going "uh oh, the cat's out of the bag, might as well scrap them and use someone else".

I mean, think, man, think!

I gotta say again how absolutely pumped I am for Garfield now that he's basically become an open secret.

This works on multiple levels. It's nostalgic for the days when Garfield was a viable property, it's a big meme reference, it's hilarious that the most anticipated upcoming competitive fighting game character next to Sora is ****ing Garfield, and it's a good sign to me that the IP is in fine hands with Nick.
What's even funnier is that there's actual basis on him being in a fighting context. Guy took on a panther once.

Last edited:
Top Bottom