• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I thought I'd dump my thoughts on CatDog's moveset here since I've been overflowing with them and I don't know where else to put them.

So as we're all aware, CatDog is basically this game's take on a "stance" character, being able to manually turn around and switch which sides Cat and Dog are facing. A few different times during the trailer, such as at the very beginning with Nigel Thornberry, we see them both turn around and throw a punch in one motion. I'd hazard a guess that this is their Down Special, and it's how they're going to manage their "stances", so to speak. Currently, I have no idea what the differences between them are; my best guess is that maybe Dog's attacks are beefier and Cat's are faster or something like that? Either way, they appear to have mostly shared normals, like the hydrant attack that I presume to be Ftilt, as well as some moves that they both perform, such as Fair and the aforementioned Down Special. That said, they also seem to have some unique moves, such as the move with Dog coughing up a bone (probably Side Special) and the Cat-Strangling-Dog move which I presume to be Jab, though oddly, both of these moves immediately snap Dog into the front position even if Cat was facing front beforehand, which may or may not be a consequence of early development. (I personally hope it is, 'cause seeing CatDog completely flip around over two subsequent frames looks REALLY janky.) We also see a few times in the trailer that they can turn around in the air as well. I have no idea what this could be mapped to. It doesn't seem to be aerial Dspecial, since we see them start that move in the air in the Nigel Thornberry clip. Maybe it's like, a double-tap thing?

As for the moves themselves, these guys appear to have a lot of range laterally, but not in a big bubble around them, kind of like the Belmonts in Smash. Likewise, frame data is not their strong suit, with most of their non-Jab moves having double-digit startup frames. (Granted, it's hard to tell sometimes with video shenanigans and pre-release footage may fudge the numbers a bit, but regardless, most of their moves don't exactly look fast - the hydrant move is frame 16, for reference.) Some of their hitboxes look pretty nutty, though; I counted, and this Fair lingers for a whopping 15 FRAMES.

Anyway, as far as the rest of the roster, I'm still considering Jenny about as close to a lock as you can get for this game. If she misses the boat at launch, I would be VERY surprised if she isn't added post-launch. Jimmy and Timmy are similar deals for me. Zuko I think is possible, but it's a little bit weird for me if there are supposed to be three Avatar characters in this game and they haven't even shown one yet. I'm not totally expecting him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him either. Rocko's a similar case where he's definitely got a shot considering the devs' evident bias toward 90's-2000's era Nicktoons, but at the same time, I can also easily see him missing out. I also fully expect Ren & Stimpy to be this game's Ice Climbers, since I don't really see why they'd bother coming up with full movesets for both when they can easily package them together and probably have them be more unique that way. (I mean, the name of the show's Ren & Stimpy.)
I believe the hydrant is a forward Smash and I did consider the whole stance thing last night, but a few things to note, for starters, I believe that's a nair you showed in the screenshot, second, it might also be the case that they're programmed to walk in the held direction regardless of where they face like the FGC characters in Smash. That being said, they're clearly willing to do gimmicky stuff as seen with April's Frank West-esque gimmick so it'd be smart to keep the stance idea in mind

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Raph and Donnie better at least be DLC inclusions in this game or I'll never forgive the devs! :( No reason not to include them, especially when they'd be unique I better not get some bull**** where they completely get skipped over again. They're loved and aren't too niche.

Honestly, I highly doubt Tuff Puppy is getting anything substantial. it was one of those weird 2000s shows that got left behind... Like, REALLY left behind. Worse than Fanboy and Chum Chum I'd argue as there's more people talking about that.
At least it has a furry following, which is more than can be said for the fellow spy show The Xs. Besides, if the base roster goes full 80s/90s there aren't too many options to go for DLC other than a) cleaning up 80s and 90s characters who missed the base boat, b) focusing more on Noughties and c) for some silly reason, deciding to add more Loud House characters.

I mean, seriously though, I completely forgot that I ever watched The Xs and that it exists until I saw the WMG page on TV Tropes.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Raph and Donnie better at least be DLC inclusions in this game or I'll never forgive the devs! :( No reason not to include them, especially when they'd be unique I better not get some bull**** where they completely get skipped over again. They're loved and aren't too niche.
While I'm not a TMNT fan so I wouldn't know, I'm seeing this situation like if Smash was a new IP and we got Mario and Bowser but Peach and Luigi were passed over for, let's say, Goomba and Waluigi - sure, Peach and Luigi could provide unique movesets and are super popular, but at the end of the day Goomba and Waluigi are just as unique, just as fun, more surprising, not as corporate, have more passionate fanbases on virtue of not being catered to as often, and rarely get to be playable in their own series, (especially the armless 'shroom) so ultimately it's a net win.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Hey all, Scott here!

I'm really hyped for this game and thought I'd join this thread here.

So uhh, I'm really hoping Zuko is in, but I'm starting to believe Toph is gonna be the third avatar character instead.

Also I think Jimmy and Rocko could be in.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
This might be a controversial/weird opinion... but honestly I still think Dora has a shot to get in the game (although not like the biggest chances ever of every character). On the GamesRadar article about Live action characters the team said: "I'd assume they don't feature a giant, two-ton hammer suddenly produced from your back pocket," Nyström says when asked about including live-action fighters. "There's just so much weird and zany stuff to draw from the animated shows! And there is no shortage of amazing characters there.". Despite the lack of live-action fighters, the team "fought to include" some unexpected fighters like Powdered Toast Man from The Ren & Stimpy Show.

So it seems that Live action characters were not seriously considered because of moveset potential (they don't have enough zanny stuff to do a moveset with), with the exception of Alex Mack who probably was considered for her telekinesis power. That being said, the team wanted unexpected fighters, and they "fought to include some of them". I don't think it's impossible that they at least considered a Nick Jr rep if they wanted characters that was never playable before in crossover Nick games. And they are still cartoon, so they would have plenty of weird and zanny stuff to do moveset with.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
While I'm not a TMNT fan so I wouldn't know, I'm seeing this situation like if Smash was a new IP and we got Mario and Bowser but Peach and Luigi were passed over for, let's say, Goomba and Waluigi - sure, Peach and Luigi could provide unique movesets and are super popular, but at the end of the day Goomba and Waluigi are just as unique, just as fun, more surprising, not as corporate, have more passionate fanbases on virtue of not being catered to as often, and rarely get to be playable in their own series, (especially the armless 'shroom) so ultimately it's a net win.
That would be extremely stupid. Since this game is having DLC, there is zero reason not to have "Peach and Luigi" as they're unique and loved. Adding popular inclusions that people happen to love aren't "corporate", it's only corporate if they're added to advertise a game. Just because they're playable in stuff before doesn't mean they're shoehorned by a company. Saying that their fans aren't passionate just because they get content is ridiculous as "Luigi and Peach" have just as diehard fans.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Has anyone here seen this yet?
It seems the ESRB leaked one of Ren and/or Stimpy's moves, the Log Toss.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I believe the hydrant is a forward Smash and I did consider the whole stance thing last night, but a few things to note, for starters, I believe that's a nair you showed in the screenshot, second, it might also be the case that they're programmed to walk in the held direction regardless of where they face like the FGC characters in Smash. That being said, they're clearly willing to do gimmicky stuff as seen with April's Frank West-esque gimmick so it'd be smart to keep the stance idea in mind
I was thinking the hydrant move was Fstrong at first, but then I saw this move:

If hydrant is Fstrong, I have no idea what THIS unit's supposed to be. Also I think Nair's supposed to be this move, since it's a lot faster than the one I showed (frame 4-5 compared to frame 16 on Fair) and hits on both sides to boot (though it notably whiffs on Danny at point-blank, which is probably an intentional design choice since the hitbox would be kinda ludicrous otherwise):

I'm pretty set on the side-switching being something you can control, since we see the pair flip around multiple times in the trailer in the air and on the ground (see this clip where CatDog does a Nair(?), turns around before landing, and does another Nair, but reversed). There's also a clear indicator of which one's facing forward at any given time (one in front's looking ahead, one in back's looking back), which leads me to believe it's something that affects their gameplay somehow.

Fig. A and B: Before and after using that side-switching punch move I pointed out in my earlier post, respectively.

D

Deleted member

Thought on everything revealed so far:
I loved yesterday's trailer, Catdog looks amazing and April Looks better than I originally thought. thank you for ending that leg girl crap earlier, it was getting SOOOO toxic..... Feels bad Dora fans, hope you get a chance eventually.
Currently for the revealed roster, Danny, Helga, Reptar, and April looks like are the ones I'll be going for!
Not really sad about no live action, but Henry Danger was the only one IMHO that stood a chance, so rip him.
About 2-3 reps remaining.... And based on the stage aligning per character so far, imma say that the chances of a third avatar rep has increased, which would be a no brained for the series to have as many as SpongeBob and TMNT. (that being said I would really....REALLY like for it to be zuko, but based on how the devs like for more different stages, I'm betting it's Toph. But anyone from the og team avatar is welcome.... And Lin Beifong from Korra, she would be nice). As for the other 2-1 rep... Who knows.... My only solid bet is Rocko, but I'm prepared to be wrong and surprise.
With the release being soon, I hope for more news on characters to keep the hype going.

If there is Dlc, I'm betting it's either Donnie and Ralph or Jimmy and Timmy. Idk if they will automatically start with fan request yet, but it would be cool for the post game content to be completely fan request.

I know the devs have personal preferences and choices for the game and I'm fine with that for them, but man Im kinda bummed about characters and stages being unlocked from the start. I hope the single player content is very sufficient for the game(either in the base or in post launch). Im a weird person where I love the platform fighter, BUT I hate being competitive in those games, so I value fun brawls and ESPECIALLY single player content in these games, for how I can personally reach for those characters or stages I want, and as a sense of progression that shows throughout the entire game, and it sucks now a days for the genre the only one I can get some of that is smash(the other 2 I can think of besides them is indie pogo, and slap city single player story mode), and most of the other games in the genre is focused on the competitive side. I wish that going forward in the genre there is an option for the competitive side like online, or in the main 4v4 mode that makes every character and stage available, but for the rest of the game modes you have to unlock the character.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I was checking online to see reactions to our newcomers and it seems there are people upset about April´s inclusion. Commonly cited reasons include
  • Not having other TMNT characters instead,
  • Comments abot preferring the spot be used for MLAATR, Fairly Oddparents or Jimmy Neutron
  • Some preferring her deisgn of 2012 or that of Rise
  • And shockingly enough people thinking she is boring. :c

View attachment 328020
new and improved roster prediction
This looks like the perfect roster. (I´ll wait for DLC for Beavers and Donnie)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I was thinking the hydrant move was Fstrong at first, but then I saw this move:

If hydrant is Fstrong, I have no idea what THIS unit's supposed to be. Also I think Nair's supposed to be this move, since it's a lot faster than the one I showed (frame 4-5 compared to frame 16 on Fair) and hits on both sides to boot (though it notably whiffs on Danny at point-blank, which is probably an intentional design choice since the hitbox would be kinda ludicrous otherwise):

I'm pretty set on the side-switching being something you can control, since we see the pair flip around multiple times in the trailer in the air and on the ground (see this clip where CatDog does a Nair(?), turns around before landing, and does another Nair, but reversed). There's also a clear indicator of which one's facing forward at any given time (one in front's looking ahead, one in back's looking back), which leads me to believe it's something that affects their gameplay somehow.

Fig. A and B: Before and after using that side-switching punch move I pointed out in my earlier post, respectively.
I felt that the buff Dog is a down smash with the back hit being extra as **** to punish rolls, though the visual indicator for directions feels off imo, I fear that their pupils are too small to see when zoomed out, though it's cool to see more zany bull**** if the Stance is legit, gives the game a better sense of identity

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I was checking online to see reactions to our newcomers and it seems there are people upset about April´s inclusion. Commonly cited reasons include
  • Not having other TMNT characters instead,
  • Comments abot preferring the spot be used for MLAATR, Fairly Oddparents or Jimmy Neutron
  • Some preferring her deisgn of 2012 or that of Rise
  • And shockingly enough people thinking she is boring. :c

This looks like the perfect roster. (I´ll wait for DLC for Beavers and Donnie)
You mean Donnie and Ralph as well Shredder?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
View attachment 328030

seems that the new character here is Garfield, but we also have models for Ren, Stimpy and Aang. Interestingly, Sandy, Zim, Oblina and Korra are missing here

so yeah, thoughts?
Did...
Did Garfchads just win?

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
View attachment 328030

seems that the new character here is Garfield, but we also have models for Ren, Stimpy and Aang. Interestingly, Sandy, Zim, Oblina and Korra are missing here

so yeah, thoughts?
Aang is asserting dominance.

Also, I love that CatDog model.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
1630088290591.png

oh nice! not only did a convincing leak get disproven almost immediately but we finally got definitive confirmation that Gir is part of Zim and thus not playable

1630088370702.png

and there's where the trailer discrepancy lied. They probably used the raw import sized Gir near the end of the first trailer, hence the confusion

Edit:

1630088471055.png

and it seems that assumption was correct

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Has anyone here seen this yet?
It seems the ESRB leaked one of Ren and/or Stimpy's moves, the Log Toss.
There's also "First Fart" which is definitely a reference to "Stimpy's First Fart"

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
View attachment 328034
oh nice! not only did a convincing leak get disproven almost immediately but we finally got definitive confirmation that Gir is part of Zim and thus not playable

View attachment 328035

and there's where the trailer discrepancy lied. They probably used the raw import sized Gir near the end of the first trailer, hence the confusion

Edit:

View attachment 328037

and it seems that assumption was correct
Neat looks like this just makes me wish there were more dev Discords lol

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I'm not convinced Garfield will be base game material honestly

Im willing to bet the Garfield acquisition happened mid development of this game, well after the roster was decided.

That being said, I think he's very plausible if DLC comes to be.
The Garfield acquisition happened in August 2019, so several months to a year before development started.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Neat looks like this just makes me wish there were more dev Discords lol
Actually, I am afraid that on one point they will have to deal with toxic fans and having to close communications. It seems like it happens all the time in this day and age. (Basically, the reason we cant have nice things)

Top Bottom