• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Actually, looking at the showcase again, I think the rocket pack is one of Jimmy's air attacks, because you can see him double jumping like normal (at least, I think he is), and he showcases the rocket-pack alongside other attacks that are clearly some of his aerials (light or strong versions notwithstanding).
Ah. I guess I need to rewatch the showcase when I'm no longer on data.

If it is tied to his aerials, maybe they'll give him little bursts of momentem? Kind of like R.O.B.'s bair and dair.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
View attachment 376112View attachment 376113
View attachment 376114
Jimmy only has one EX move done because other things were a bigger priority? Oh yeah this roster isn’t exceeding 26

Also I hope “things” is the campaign. If they really went all out on this campaign then I can maybe accept the cuts. Maybe
Man, those two things aren't even close to being causation and effect. They gotta build the main roster first before they start working on EX stuff. Chill out with the doom and gloom.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I don't want GIR because he gets in the way of Professor Membrane who is like my one actual unironic want for this game. plz Ludosity let me have this one

Can we not have both? If there's no cuts and Vlad is playable, we'll have three Hey Arnold characters and three Danny Phantom characters. Who says, hypothetically, we can't have three Invader ZIM characters?

"EX stuff" is part of the main roster though. It's built into the balancing.
They most likely laid out the groundwork for the entire roster's movesets first, THEN did the souped up versions of them once everyone's regular moves were finished.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Chill out with the doom and gloom.
“Surely they wouldn’t have just two turtles”
“Surely they’re gonna have the Rugrats in here, especially Tommy and Angelica”
“Surely they wouldn’t have Helga without Arnold”
“Surely Zuko is in”
“Surely we’ll get Jimmy before Hugh”

I’ve been burnt too many times speculating from the perspective of an optimist so forgive me for having a bit of a negative prediction for once but I’m of the opinion the writing has been on the wall ever since the splash art leak

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
View attachment 376114
Jimmy only has one EX move done because other things were a bigger priority? Oh yeah this roster isn’t exceeding 26

Also I hope “things” is the campaign. If they really went all out on this campaign then I can maybe accept the cuts. Maybe
Jimmy was easily the most requested characters, so he must have been in the team mind very early on in the game development, I doubt he's a late game development addition. So yeah, him having still his moveset not finish is very weird to say the least.

Honestly I was expecting cut since we knew that they remade 98% of the assets and the moveset being redone + a campaign mode + cinematic super moves. I'm sorry but at this point if you're still expecting a 36 characters roster with a GameMill budget and 2 years of development time you are deluded.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Frankly considering what Nicktoons are left
Seeing this, it kind of makes me glad we only got 2 new shows in base NASB's roster, since all the remaining shows Ludosity and Nick would care about adding are all in the top row, with the possible exception of Glitch Techs. We'd be running out of new shows to add faster than you could say "Canceled during season 1"
The only way Nick would be able to approve of 2 4-character passes where each character was the main protagonist of an unrepped show was if 2/8 of them were...Aaahh!!! Real Monsters and CatDog.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
“Surely Zuko is in”

I’ve been burnt too many times speculating from the perspective of an optimist so forgive me for having a bit of a negative prediction for once but I’m of the opinion the writing has been on the wall ever since the splash art leak
You're free to be pessimistic I'm just saying that hearing that one or two of Jimmy's moves aren't done yet and that other things were priority does not even remotely relate to the size of the roster. Other characters got priority on being finished first (likely due to being less complicated to develop), how does that equate to guaranteeing a smaller roster? From the wording it even sounds like Jimmy especially has been the hardest to develop, so they've probably been working on him on and off for awhile.

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 376114

Y'know, I find it interesting how in spite of the fact that Jimmy's Moveset technically isn't even finished yet, we still got a character showcase for him. I know the devs plan to release 2-4 of them per week, but I'm really curious at how fast/slow the devs can pump out these showcases. Couple that with possible announcements for the other newcomers/modes, I'm starting to think that it'll be something like:
Week 1 = 2 showcases, trailer announcing 2 new fighters (maybe the 2 ninja turtles? Still weird they didn't get splashcards)
Week 2 = 4 showcases, no new trailer
Week 3 = 3 showcases, trailer revealing new modes and 1 new fighter
Or who knows, With the number of newcomers, maybe we'll get a newcomer reveal every week

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't know much about game development but maybe supers themselves were a very late addition.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Ayy, I was right about today being Jimmy! And he looks... really cool! My only worries are that he might be a bit too defensive for me and I didn't see a lot of combo tools, but like... everything we did see looks AWESOME. I'm really glad Goddard got a starring role in his moveset, and he looks REALLY fun to play around with. I kinda liked Rosalina in Smash, but felt she didn't go far enough in the puppet department; Goddard looks like exactly what I've been wanting out of a puppet in a platform fighter! The programmable Nikita missile looks kinda bad, but to be fair, we haven't seen what it does on hit yet. Might just be good for controlling space and limiting people's options offstage. (Seriously, you do NOT wanna be recovering against a Jimmy who has Nikita covering low and Goddard covering high.) Overall, I'm super excited to give this kid a spin when the game comes out. The Garf's got serious competition.
Also, we have confirmation of multiple comp layouts per stage now! Say what you will about legal stages, but I think it's super cool that people who wanna play a straight match can pick from more than just five series aesthetics now.
Oh, and I think my favorite part of the showcase might've been Plankton's scream he does when he gets edgeguarded here. If his whole kit is as well-voiced as this one moment is, maybe I will like him after all.
Actually, looking at the showcase again, I think the rocket pack is one of Jimmy's air attacks, because you can see him double jumping like normal (at least, I think he is), and he showcases the rocket-pack alongside other attacks that are clearly some of his aerials (light or strong versions notwithstanding).
That's his double jump. You can see him cancel Up Special into it when the narrator says you can jump out of it.
I don't want GIR because he gets in the way of Professor Membrane who is like my one actual unironic want for this game. plz Ludosity let me have this one
Fellow Professor Membrane chad? Based. 👑
View attachment 376114

Everyone else is dooming over potential roster cuts, meanwhile I'm pogging over the fact that you can apparently switch to Goddard in the middle of a throw.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

I guess here's something to consider regarding if making 36 fighters in 2 years is possible. And I'm sure NASB's scope is smaller than SSBB's anyway since there's not gonna be trophies or that many items, let alone assist trophies most likely.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
“Surely Zuko is in”
don't call me shirley

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

I guess here's something to consider regarding if making 36 fighters in 2 years is possible. And I'm sure NASB's scope is smaller than SSBB's anyway since there's not gonna be trophies or that many items, let alone assist trophies most likely.
NASB2 also has an astronomically smaller budget than Brawl, and a way smaller team working on it, AND part of that team was splintered off into working on things like Slap City and NASB1's DLC for about the first year of its development. Comparing these two vastly different development situations to rationalize a lack of cuts seems kinda silly.
I'm absolutely expecting cuts at this point. Maybe not 11 of them, but cuts nonetheless, and they may be ones we don't like.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I'm sure than 100 dev is much more than both Ludosity and Fair play labs combined tbh.

But even that aside, development for hd consoles take way much more time than it was for the Wii.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
NASB2 also has an astronomically smaller budget than Brawl, and a way smaller team working on it, AND part of that team was splintered off into working on things like Slap City and NASB1's DLC for about the first year of its development. Comparing these two vastly different development situations to rationalize a lack of cuts seems kinda silly.
I'm absolutely expecting cuts at this point. Maybe not 11 of them, but cuts nonetheless, and they may be ones we don't like.
This is true, however on the other side of the coin, for arguments sake, a bigger budget could fund a bigger team to work on it, and once the DLC was done, the team working on that would likely return to join the sequel.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
NASB2 also has an astronomically smaller budget than Brawl
You sure about that? Game budgets were so much lower in the 6th gen (and arguably for Wii games too) that I wouldn't be surprised if Nicktoons Unite and NASB's budgets are comparable. Besides, like I said, I already know NASB2 won't have as much content as SSBB anyway:

• It could only have 39 fighters if Norb and Dag are separate, and Papagenos' uncertainty about what the GIR model he saw was used for means GIR's playable
  • The amount of playable villains on the leak tells me not that many resources, or maybe none at all, would be spent on characters that are solely bosses.
  • In terms of modes we only know for sure it'll have multiplayer, story mode, and most likely classic mode
  • Doubting any sort of Poke Ball/AT item besides, TAB and El Tigre being the only new shows on the leak means they couldn't give other unrepped shows a second chance with such an item anyway
  • At the very best it would only have...39 stages.
  • If NASB2 has double the items, it still won't have 49.
  • The story mode being "rougelike" means they'd have to spend less time on stages (but not that much, since procedural generation basically means making a bunch of puzzle pieces and telling the computer to figure out how they can be put together)
  • Yeah no they're not modeling 500+ trophies let's face it

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah like, I'm expecting SOME cuts...but not eleven lmao.

Weirdly what was said about Jimmy actually makes me pretty confident about CatDog making it back, funny enough. They're likely someone that'd take extra work to implement with the additions of things like forward and back aerials, which makes a lot more sense to me than cutting it as an IP entirely.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
As much as I would hate cuts, especially considering some of the new characters supposedly coming in in their place, yeah, it's looking like there's going to be at least a few. I doubt all 11 are going, especially the ones shown in the NASB1 portion of the trailer (Mikey and Helga were especially prominent during that segment, something I don't hear anyone bringing up much).
I wouldn't expect anything like ATs to happen, something like that doesn't strike me as a priority to this dev team, and if it was in the game, it'd probably be touted as a huge selling point right off the bat.

It could only have 39 fighters if Norb and Dag are separate, and Papagenos' uncertainty about what the GIR model he saw was used for means GIR's playable
Don't you threaten me with a good time!

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
As much as I would hate cuts, especially considering some of the new characters supposedly coming in in their place, yeah, it's looking like there's going to be at least a few. I doubt all 11 are going, especially the ones shown in the NASB1 portion of the trailer (Mikey and Helga were especially prominent during that segment, something I don't hear anyone bringing up much).
I wouldn't expect anything like ATs to happen, something like that doesn't strike me as a priority to this dev team, and if it was in the game, it'd probably be touted as a huge selling point right off the bat.

Don't you threaten me with a good time!
It would be very strange if Sandy, Lincoln, Leo, and Mikey were given the axe, especially the later two due to the fact that not having all four turtles was one of the biggest criticisms of the first game.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
It would be very strange if Sandy, Lincoln, Leo, and Mikey were given the axe, especially the later two due to the fact that not having all four turtles was one of the biggest criticisms of the first game.
I personally would find CatDog getting cut to be the strangest after Lincoln and the Turtles. Yeah, side inputs might make their gimmick harder to implement but they were such a hyped and talked about character from the first game that I can't imagine they wouldn't at least try to get them back.

I figure a lot of characters probably weren't ready for primetime by the time that first trailer was made. Besides Spongebob, Squidward, Patrick, Jimmy and April, we barely saw much footage of the other returning characters. ZIM for instance only got three split second appearances.

Last edited:
The cuts are dumb but their choices for who they put in are even dumber if these characters truly are cut. Why are Raphael and Donatello here if they weren't gonna address the 4 turtle criticism? They've shown to prefer Leo and Mikey as the best rep of TMNT so why have the other two here if they had to choose between turtles again? It's a humongous waste of resources especially when Leonardo and Michelangelo had a foundation to work off of.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
kind of unrelated to the current discussion but I just came across this and figured I'd bring it up

So I realized I didn't actually know who voiced Reggie Rocket and decided to look it up and was surprised to find that she hasn't been active since the show ended. Like, at all. Doesn't seem like she has any social media presence, no acting experience after that, nothing

I decided to look into Otto Rocket's voice actor instead, y'know since he's the main character so maybe he'd be favored as a pick anyways.....only to find the exact same thing applies to him. Seemingly no social media presence, no acting experience after the show ended, absolutely nothing as far as I can tell

The thing that makes this particularly noteworthy to me though is that they were both young when they played the characters

I'm aware that Mighty B apparently was given permission to keep going by Amy Poehler when she had to depart from the show, including recasting the titular character Bessie, but apparently they weren't keen on doing that out of respect for her

I guess my question to y'all is do you think this same line of reasoning could be why Rocket Power hasn't had voiced roles in any future Nick crossover games, potentially respecting wishes of the original voice actors or just choosing to not recast them? Maybe not the sole reason but at least a factor?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
kind of unrelated to the current discussion but I just came across this and figured I'd bring it up

So I realized I didn't actually know who voiced Reggie Rocket and decided to look it up and was surprised to find that she hasn't been active since the show ended. Like, at all. Doesn't seem like she has any social media presence, no acting experience after that, nothing

I decided to look into Otto Rocket's voice actor instead, y'know since he's the main character so maybe he'd be favored as a pick anyways.....only to find the exact same thing applies to him. Seemingly no social media presence, no acting experience after the show ended, absolutely nothing as far as I can tell

The thing that makes this particularly noteworthy to me though is that they were both young when they played the characters

I'm aware that Mighty B apparently was given permission to keep going by Amy Poehler when she had to depart from the show, including recasting the titular character Bessie, but apparently they weren't keen on doing that out of respect for her

I guess my question to y'all is do you think this same line of reasoning could be why Rocket Power hasn't had voiced roles in any future Nick crossover games, potentially respecting wishes of the original voice actors or just choosing to not recast them? Maybe not the sole reason but at least a factor?
Honestly, not at all. Nick has had no problems recasting people who've aged out of being able to perform their old roles. Arnold in The Jungle Movie is one such example. If they wanted to add Reggie or Otto, they'd simply recast.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Consider me surprised that they managed to get Lacey Chabert back for Eliza Thornberry in the Tennis game. Really, the only one they have been recasting are either deceased, aged out of the role or had something that prevented them from doing the voice (Tim Curry and his stroke)

None of the supposed leaked characters seem to have any VA trouble AFAIK. Hell, some already overlap with the NASB1 cast

Richard Horvitz is already Zim, of course he will be back as Daggett. With Frank Welker could do Goddard. I'm curious if Martin Mull will return as Vlad and Nick Bakay as Norbert though

Top Bottom