• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Ok, controversial question:

What if they do a guest character? Of course someone who makes sense (King Julien, Skipper, Po), would you be fine with them?
Depends on who the guest character is. I'd be hyped for Skipper, Po, or Doug. I'd be happy if Count Duckula or Mighty Mouse were selected.

I would draw the line at "ancilary ties to Nickelodeon".

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
No matter how much you want it, a perfectly balanced roster is genuinely impossible regardless of the type of game it is.

On top of that, some people enjoy the challenge of playing an objectively worse character. Myself included.

For the most part, the devteam has proven to be decent at balance. Trust in that ability.
No offense, but I kinda hate this as an argument. No one's asking for a "perfectly balanced" game, we all know that's impossible without making every character the same. That's not an excuse not to try and make the characters close enough in strength that they're all worth using. You'll still have your low-tier heroes since no game's balance is perfect, but ideally, every character can do something cool and no one feels punished for their character choice.
Granted, I'm not concerned with this game balance-wise or the idea that a large roster will inherently introduce balance issues. You can have lots of options while still maintaining some semblance of balance, and I think Smash has fooled a lot of people into thinking they're mutually exclusive.
Ok, controversial question:

What if they do a guest character? Of course someone who makes sense (King Julien, Skipper, Po), would you be fine with them?
I draw the line at the DreamWorks characters since they actually featured prominently on the network and were integral to the brand for a while. Anything else, even under the Paramount corporate umbrella, would be iffy at best.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
For a guest my first pick would be Doug, rights issue aside he's the one that would make the most sense.

And yeah I think having other Paramount franchise would be pretty dumb honestly. Top gun would be super out of place. Also Movie Sonic is such a stupid concept for a character that I don't understand why it's an actual serious request.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
No offense, but I kinda hate this as an argument. No one's asking for a "perfectly balanced" game, we all know that's impossible without making every character the same. That's not an excuse not to try and make the characters close enough in strength that they're all worth using. You'll still have your low-tier heroes since no game's balance is perfect, but ideally, every character can do something cool and no one feels punished for their character choice.
Granted, I'm not concerned with this game balance-wise or the idea that a large roster will inherently introduce balance issues. You can have lots of options while still maintaining some semblance of balance, and I think Smash has fooled a lot of people into thinking they're mutually exclusive.
100% I agree though, I think it's silly to assume that just because the roster is large that automatically means poor balance

But the point I'm trying to make is that it's okay to have characters that are weaker as long as they're still fun to play. Yes, the team should strive for good balance but expecting a perfectly balanced game, even with a small roster, is a fool's errand.

Even then... Ultimate's roster by comparison is still pretty well balanced, all things considered. Same with NASB's roster.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
why did they allow the gamer of all sites exclusive coverage

EDIT: oh my god he's psasbr ratchet

EDIT 2: PS2 forms confirmed baby! Jimmy looks very fun. LOVE the pre-programmable rocket. Hope he isn't a full zoner and still needs to get up close to KO.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Jimmy looks great! Also lmao they're not going in series order.

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
I was hoping Goddard would be implemented like this
Holy cow, Jimmy is both a zoner, and a puppet fighter! So far, Jimmy is my absolute favorite character from a design standpoint (both in how they play, as well as staying truthful to who the character is and how they would fight). They really went all in on the amount of inventions that Jimmy pulls from to fight. The most interesting thing about Jimmy to me, is his neutral special. I assumed it was like Snake's side special, but it's actually very different. With Snake, you control his missile while it's flying around. With Jimmy, you can set a predetermined route the missile will fly, and then can act out of it.

It's pretty funny that comparatively speaking, Jimmy is looking like one of the more technical and "big brain" characters to play lol

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The way they implemented Goddard seems so cool. I could see myself having a lot of fun with that move, but I can also see the complexities putting me off to Jimmy as a whole. I do tend to play more oonga boonga heavies.

It's very fitting that they deisgned Jimmy for big brain plays.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Jimmy looks pretty cool. Not my preferred playstyle but I appreciate how unique he looks. On top of the screen control, I can already imagine his edgeguarding being pretty disgusting with the rocket and Goddard covering so much space.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
So I figure I'll make a list of who we know of officially/in the trailers, to maybe gauge how long they'll have showcases for them until they show us a new character.

Playable in NASB2
Spongebob
Squidward

Patrick
Plankton
Jimmy Neutron
Danny Phantom
Invader ZIM
Garfield
Raphael
Donatello
April O Neil
Aang
Korra
Ren and Stimpy
Lucy Loud
Nigel Thornberry
Reptar
Rocko
Jenny

Shown in NASB1 footage, status unknown
Sandy
Michelangelo (very prominently, might I add)
Leonardo
Lincoln Loud
Toph
Helga

I miss anyone?

We gotta pin this somewhere.

They clearly put a LOT of love into Jimmy's moveset and it shows! The offstage antics with Goddard sound super fun!

Last edited:

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
Drifloon I think Goddard is going to be more annoying than Rosalina but hopeful people can find a way pass goddard and that rocket...oh man Jimmy is going to be so campy and I can't stop smiling about it.

I wish we got Ty Lee though, she would be the sheik of the game but without a projectile.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Goddard is just a more complex GIR. He even explodes if he runs into the opponent. Like that’s literally GIR from NASB1 but expanded.

Playable GIR just got a HELL of a lot more likely.
Come to think of it, if GIR is left as-is in 2, he'll be gutted with how there's no universal cargo throws, unless Zim can treat him like an item.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Come to think of it, if GIR is left as-is in 2, he'll be gutted with how there's no universal cargo throws, unless Zim can treat him like an item.

Giving GIR's old gimmick to Goddard to open him up for a potential playable spot is something I admittedly hadn't thought of but it makes so much more sense than the "one GIR in ZIM's moveset, the other playable" thing I was stretching with.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Drifloon I think Goddard is going to be more annoying than Rosalina but hopeful people can find a way pass goddard and that rocket...oh man Jimmy is going to be so campy and I can't stop smiling about it.

I wish we got Ty Lee though, she would be the sheik of the game but without a projectile.
If anything would be annoying it'd be Ty Lee's inclusion. Come on, her over Zuko, Katara, AND Sokka?!

But yeah, zoning as him's gonna be super fun! xD and that bubble is gonna be such a great tool!

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Ok so Spongebob, Squidward and Jimmy were the one that were given the most focus on the reveal trailer. By that logic, Patrick SHOULD be next

But i think they might do Plankton instead

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Ok so Spongebob, Squidward and Jimmy were the one that were given the most focus on the reveal trailer. By that logic, Patrick SHOULD be next

But i think they might do Plankton instead
I wouldn't doubt, if we get two more this week, that it'd be Patrick and Plankton, regardless of order.

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
Ty Lee's moveset and game plan would be pretty easy to work out, more so than the other three you mentioned she would fit in easily.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So, Jimmy's the next showcase; so much for the whole "doing all the characters for one show in a row" thing.

Jimmy certainly looks like a pretty interesting character, and once again, I love the amount of detail and references they included. Goddard definitely feels like a more fleshed-out version of what GIR was in the first game*, and the rocket seems interesting; so if I'm understanding this right, you input the rocket's path while charging, and then it automatically follows that path upon release? Well, that's certainly different, and might be something to play around with. One thing I'm slightly confused on: is Jimmy's Up Special the Hovercraft or him using his rocket pack?

Overall, Jimmy looks like he'll be fun to toy around with, though I don't see him being a main quite yet (I don't usually go for the more technical characters), but then again, Zim was kind of similar in the first game and he eventually became my fourth favorite character there, so I guess we'll see what happens.

*I personally wouldn't start calling GIR playable based on this; I think we need to wait until either Zim's showcase or if GIR IS playable, the reveal proper; whichever happens first.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
*I personally wouldn't start calling GIR playable based on this; I think we need to wait until either Zim's showcase or if GIR IS playable, the reveal proper; whichever happens first.
Not saying it's absolutely happening, just this on top of the Papa Genos leaks makes it seems increasingly like it's something that COULD happen.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
One thing I'm slightly confused on: is Jimmy's Up Special the Hovercraft or him using his rocket pack?
I'm pretty sure the rocket pack is just his double jump animation.

It's a pretty nice touch, actually.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Not saying it's absolutely happening, just this on top of the Papa Genos leaks makes it seems increasingly like it's something that COULD happen.
In the case of the Papa Genos leaks regarding GIR, what I understand is that they feature GIR in his dog disguise, but considering SpongeBob and Squidward show that we're getting proper alts, that could just be an alt that GIR takes on in relation to one of Zim's alts. I feel like there was another aspect to the supposed GIR leak, but I can't remember it right now.

I'm pretty sure the rocket pack is just his double jump animation.

It's a pretty nice touch, actually.
Actually, looking at the showcase again, I think the rocket pack is one of Jimmy's air attacks, because you can see him double jumping like normal (at least, I think he is), and he showcases the rocket-pack alongside other attacks that are clearly some of his aerials (light or strong versions notwithstanding).

Last edited:
Top Bottom