• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
when you're working with a catalog as iconic and extensive as Nickelodeon's.
Yeah but Nick doesn't care about the full extent of their own catalog anyway. It'd be easier to get them to say yes to CatDog being DLC than a character from The X's or the majority of their 2010s shows.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Don't remind me.

Alright, good joke.

You don't need to be a Smash fan to be think one or more characters in a four-character DLC pass being someone we already played as last year is lame, i.e. me. Even if the moveset's changed, it's a bit of a waste IMO when you're working with a catalog as iconic and extensive as Nickelodeon's.
You could make the same argument about Smash but they still did Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy as paid DLC, with the same movesets as their older incarnations, in Smash 4. At the very least they would be getting more stuff considering movesets are getting massive upgrades.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
You could make the same argument about Smash but they still did Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy as paid DLC, with the same movesets as their older incarnations, in Smash 4. At the very least they would be getting more stuff considering movesets are getting massive upgrades.
Mewtwo had at least been gone for an entire game before then and was the most controversial cut up to that point. We were given time to miss him, and that's what made his return cool. I stand by Roy being lame and Lucas didn't even miss a game. (Plus it helps that we didn't have any of the "mystery pass" business in Smash 4 and we came away with four new characters anyway.)
Either way, I don't care what Smash does. That has no bearing on my wants or expectations for this game.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Mewtwo had at least been gone for an entire game before then and was the most controversial cut up to that point. We were given time to miss him, and that's what made his return cool. I stand by Roy being lame and Lucas didn't even miss a game. (Plus it helps that we didn't have any of the "mystery pass" business in Smash 4 and we came away with four new characters anyway.)
Pass or not we still (up until they were revealed/leaked in Roy's case) didn't know they were coming. They were still paid DLC. Even if you don't like the possibility it is still there.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Mewtwo was the only notable example of a major character Smash cut, and that was only because of Lucario.

Either way, its gonna be a sour spot for a lot of people if iconic picks get cut in favor of Arnold's Grandma of all characters.

I get that resources are not infinate, but people who don't want their main cut shouldn't be pointed and laughed at.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
but peolle who don't want their main cut shouldn't be pointed and laughed at.
And I'm not trying to say that. What I am trying to say that there might be a chance for them to come back via DLC, just like in any fighting game that isn't about bringing everyone back. If anything, that's more positive than "lol toph got cut for pookie!"

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think Smash having dlc veterans feels way less scummy because by the time of Smash 4, they already had 40 veterans to add, and most people know that this is unrealistic to have them all in the first place, especially with Smash 4 having 15 newcomers. Nasb have 25 veterans to add, I know they have budget issue but ultimately it's not that much, so imo cutting them to just add them later would feel worse.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mewtwo was the only notable example of a major character Smash cut, and that was only because of Lucario.

Either way, its gonna be a sour spot for a lot of people if iconic picks get cut in favor of Arnold's Grandma of all characters.

I get that resources are not infinate, but people who don't want their main cut shouldn't be pointed and laughed at.
I can't believe it's 2023 and people are still pushing the "Lucario replaced Mewtwo" nonsense.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Anyway my bets on the DLC four are Luna/Luan (They are not going to cut out Lincoln), Otis, Timmy Turner and Zuko (If not Zuko then Miko from Glitch Techs).

Also, I think everyone is really jumping to conclusions of characters being cut. Remember when Ultimate revealed this?

When the full one was shown, not every character in the game was in the poster. I feel y'all are jumping to conclusions too much.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
In terms of DLC chances, I think a Fanboy & Chum Chum rep is being overlooked. With both Jenny and El Tigre around it seems pretty clear Nick are open to using the cult-following shows, and FBCC are basically in the same league as Otis in that regard. If any 2010s show is getting in, it's gonna be FBCC.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
In terms of DLC chances, I think a Fanboy & Chum Chum rep is being overlooked. With both Jenny and El Tigre around it seems pretty clear Nick are open to using the cult-following shows, and FBCC are basically in the same league as Otis in that regard. If any 2010s show is getting in, it's gonna be FBCC.
Wasn't Fanboy and ChumChum 2009?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Anyway my bets on the DLC four are Luna/Luan (They are not going to cut out Lincoln), Otis, Timmy Turner and Zuko (If not Zuko then Miko from Glitch Techs).

Also, I think everyone is really jumping to conclusions of characters being cut. Remember when Ultimate revealed this?

When the full one was shown, not every character in the game was in the poster. I feel y'all are jumping to conclusions too much.
I think you're misremembering Ultimate's announcement timeline. We already knew everyone was coming back way before seeing the cover art.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
And looking outside the boundaries of Smash unlike people who think cut vets being in the DLC are impossible/would suck, let's check out Marvel vs. Capcom.

3 cut Mega Man, the very mascot of Capcom itself, and while Infinite heavily promoted the fact that it had another Mega Man on the roster, it cut out the entirety of X-Men, one of Marvel's biggest series which is responsible for the existence of MvC itself and the success of its own movies helped lead to the MCU which MvCI is heavily based on.
Apologies for pulling an Uhm achktually, but they literally couldn’t have anyone from X-Men or Fantastic Four and Disney is to blame for that

Fox still owned the movie rights to X-Men and Fantastic Four by that point, and in an effort to devalue those brands and make them easier to purchase a couple years later, Disney basically refused to make anything with them (Fantastic Four in particular got any comic runs canned as a result of this decision), including putting them in any video games. So Capcom was ordered by Disney essentially that they couldn’t use any of them

And once you remove any and all X-Men and F4 characters, then the reality is that Capcom only purposefully cut 5 characters (not counting DLC that is)

Taskmaster was a knock-off character, War Machine wouldn’t be a good choice, Iron Fist was incredibly unpopular competitively and newcomer pick wise, don’t quote me on this part but I’m pretty sure around this time was when they lost the name rights to Shuma-Gorath, so that’s probably why he’s not here either (he ended up coming back in the Doctor Strange 2 movie, now named as Gargantos), making the only truly notable cut She-Hulk, which bothers me particularly because I like her but moveset wise I didn’t care for how they handled her anyways and she doesn’t do a ton different from Mike Haggar anyways, so it’s an acceptable choice

It’s for this rationale that I’ll forever defend the Marvel roster for Infinite, because given the circumstances they had I think they picked a more than adequate roster for it

Doesn’t change the fact that only 4 Capcom newcomers is bull**** across base game and DLC but whatever

Where was I going with this? Oh yeah, She-Hulk for NASB 2 or whatever

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
And looking outside the boundaries of Smash unlike people who think cut vets being in the DLC are impossible/would suck, let's check out Marvel vs. Capcom.

3 cut Mega Man, the very mascot of Capcom itself, and while Infinite heavily promoted the fact that it had another Mega Man on the roster, it cut out the entirety of X-Men, one of Marvel's biggest series which is responsible for the existence of MvC itself and the success of its own movies helped lead to the MCU which MvCI is heavily based on.
Using MvCI is a bad example because the X-Men and F4 were screwed over by Fox owning the movie rights at the time. MvCI was a very corporately mandated game, with nearly all of the Marvel characters coming from the MCU specifically. The DLC was all Marvel, and Disney wouldn't even let the advertising companies show Capcom characters beating the Marvel characters in a trailer.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think you're misremembering Ultimate's announcement timeline. We already knew everyone was coming back way before seeing the cover art.
Perhaps but my point still stands. Not all characters were shown on that cover art, still think yer all jumping to conclusions.

I'm confident everyone will be back.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Pass or not we still (up until they were revealed/leaked in Roy's case) didn't know they were coming. They were still paid DLC. Even if you don't like the possibility it is still there.
Ok? I'm not denying it as a possibility. I'm just saying it'd be lame to do this early in the series' lifespan, which is an opinion.

To distract from the current debate, who do you think the equivalent of a "retro rep" for NASB would be? My odds are on someone before the 1980s or otherwise obscure, since TMNT and Garfield have acclimated into Nickelodeon culture since.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
To distract from the current debate, who do you think the equivalent of a "retro rep" for NASB would be? My odds are on someone before the 1980s or otherwise obscure, since TMNT and Garfield have acclimated into Nickelodeon culture since.
Due to the nature of Nick compared to say video game history I’m not sure what exactly constitutes a purely retro pick, but I’ll go with any IP that wasn’t relevant as soon as it stopped airing in any capacity. So I guess something like KaBlam kinda fits the bill lol

Due to the nature of Nick compared to say video game history I’m not sure what exactly constitutes a purely retro pick, but I’ll go with any IP that wasn’t relevant as soon as it stopped airing in any capacity. So I guess something like KaBlam kinda fits the bill lol
Technically you can classify the Beavers as retro characters by that logic, as their unmade finale is how they're still in the conversation these days.

Me? I'd go with a Terrytoons character, David the Gnome, Count Duckula, Pelswick, or Kappa Mikey. A character that's either older than television, owned by Paramount Global, or traced directly to Nickelodeon and its less talked-about aspects.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
G1 Optimus Prime or Papa Smurf, if we're adding in 1980's Saturday Morning characters Nick has the rights to use.

Otherwise, Stick Stickly counts as one for Nick.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Guys picture Movie Sonic as a guest character.

Or maybe the Death Angels or Pete "Maverick" Mitchell.

They are after all under Paramount which in turn owns Nick.

DemifiendEnjoyer

Smash Apprentice
What if there are a bunch of cuts, and the characters on the leaked image is all we are getting.
But, everyone comes back in NASB 3.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I also use the "retro rep" term here to refer to any Nicktoons character that debuted before SpongeBob.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I also use the "retro rep" term here to refer to any Nicktoons character that debuted before SpongeBob.
That's literally the bulk of the roster though.

Honestly as a whole people are too willing to bend Smash-isms to fit an unrelated game.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That's literally the bulk of the roster though.

Honestly as a whole people are too willing to bend Smash-isms to fit an unrelated game.
And I don't get why you're so insistent on calling Rocket Power not a 90's Nicktoon when it literally came out the same year as SpongeBob, AKA the end of the 90's anyway.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Rocket Power came out in the last third of the year, had the bulk of its run in the early 2000s and ended up encompassing that era more anyway, so I can see how people would think it debuted in the 2000’s.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Rocket Power honestly feels like an honorary 2000's show, though
Rocket Power came out in the last third of the year, had the bulk of its run in the early 2000s and ended up encompassing that era more anyway, so I can see how people would think it debuted in the 2000’s.
Either way, Riley insisting on saying "pre-SpongeBob Nicktoons" instead of "90's Nicktoons" is just arbitrarily excluding Rocket Power and nothing else for no reason. You could say that SpongeBob is also an honorary 2000's show with how it debuted in 1999 and had the majority of its "golden era" from 2000-2004 and its movie in 2004, after all.

Top Bottom