• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
No, I think it's silly that you have to justify your positivity to yourself by pointing out something that is 1. objectively incorrect and 2. completely unnecessary. You can just be happy about things without having to justify it to yourself man.

Youre allowed to just be positive
I wouldn't be optimistic if I viewed it as a sequel though. That's not me trying to "justify" it as a facade, that's just how I view games - as complex lines of code that just so happen to have diegetic icing. For instance: Sonic Adventure isn't a sequel to Sonic 3K, Super Monkey Ball is - because TO ME a "Sonic game" is a fast-paced platformer revolving around managing momentum physics and being rewarded with speed, not a game with Sonic in it. In my eyes, a "NASB game" is an exaggeratedly fast-paced, offence oriented platform fighter, not a platform fighter that just so happens to have SpongeBob in it. NASB 2 is not what I'd consider a NASB game, and I'm OK with that. It still looks good. I know I'm in the minority, you seriously do not need to tell me, I don't want to change your opinions.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly I'd be shocked if Sandy didn't return. I don't see them being so tone deaf as to cut a SpongeBob character.
I get that SpongeBob is huge but to be fair I could see them cutting Sandy. First, we now have Jimmy that will have the science archetype (and sure Sandy does a bit more like Karate, but in more recent Spongebob episode she's pretty much the science girl). Besides, both Squidward and Plankton are arguably much more popular than her in the first place, espcially in most recent seasons (10 to 13) Sandy's roles are much smaller and she starts to appear way less while Plankton appear much more than usual. Unless you're really focusing on Season 1-3, Plankton is much bigger and popular than Sandy at this point.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I wonder if Sandy also has less moveset potential than other Spongebob characters in the eyes of the devs. If you look at her NASB1 moveset, she has far fewer direct references to memorable moments in the show than Spongebob and Patrick do. (Plankton in NASB2 doesn’t have a lot of direct references either, but he stands a lot out due to being a mech pilot and being the largest character in the game.) As such, I don’t think it’d be too surprising if she’s actually cut, as disappointing as that’d be.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I wouldn't be optimistic if I viewed it as a sequel though. That's not me trying to "justify" it as a facade, that's just how I view games - as complex lines of code that just so happen to have diegetic icing. For instance: Sonic Adventure isn't a sequel to Sonic 3K, Super Monkey Ball is - because TO ME a "Sonic game" is a fast-paced platformer revolving around managing momentum physics and being rewarded with speed, not a game with Sonic in it. In my eyes, a "NASB game" is an exaggeratedly fast-paced, offence oriented platform fighter, not a platform fighter that just so happens to have SpongeBob in it. NASB 2 is not what I'd consider a NASB game, and I'm OK with that. It still looks good. I know I'm in the minority, you seriously do not need to tell me, I don't want to change your opinions.
You understand that this is literally not seeing the forest for the trees, right?

It's like you intentionally try to do everything in the most inconvenient backwards way possible.

We also literally already have a term to say stuff your frankly weird take on Super Monkey Ball in comparison to Sonic 3, and that term is Spiritual Successor. Considering you like Pizza Tower, I'd think you would know the term. Though that term definitely does not fit Super Monkey Ball at all. If anything, I'd say Super Monkey Ball is closer to F-Zero than it is to Sonic 3.

Do you just have some sort of obsession with being "that guy with the weird takes?" Because, and I'm not saying this to offend you, that really is how you come off to me 90% of the time.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Stop calling it an in-name only sequel. A sequel is a sequel

Adventure of Link is a sequel to TLoZ and it plays nothing alike.

It's still a platform fighting game featuring Nickelodeon characters, and it shares the same name, development team, publisher, etc.

A lot of the things that arent around anymore are things people didn't like about the first game. The only one that people seem to actually miss is strafing.
Y'all really will argue over anything on here, huh?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
First, we now have Jimmy that will have the science archetype (and sure Sandy does a bit more like Karate, but in more recent Spongebob episode she's pretty much the science girl)
But that's not really what her moveset is about anyway. Only a couple moves at best. Furthermore, regardless if she's "less popular", she has a tendency to always be playable, even more so than Squidward. Then again, it's abnormal for only two Turtles to be playable, but still.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Y'all really will argue over anything on here, huh?
It's not really an argument so much as a discussion based on lack of understanding.

Let me take another example here. TF2 is a vastly different game than Team Fortress Classic and yet it is still objectively a sequel. The two practically play nothing alike at all beyond being shooters with a class system.

No one would ever say that TF2 is not a sequel. Valve considered it a sequel. Their word is law. It's a sequel. By that same logic, this is true here. NASB2 is a sequel. You could make an argument over it sharing similarities with a reboot but a reboot is just an offshoot of a sequel.

I wouldn't be optimistic if I viewed it as a sequel though.
This makes absolutely no sense at all. Nothing about the game changes based on the wording of what you call it. You like what you see regardless of wording, so why are you so adamant that it is not a sequel?

That's the point I'm making.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Wario Wario Wario has a right to their opinions and trying to say that those opinions are incorrect is wrong.

At the same time, communication only works if everyone within a discussion defines words the same way, so creating a custom definition for “sequel” will only lead to poor communication and arguments. Perhaps make a new term for “sequel specifically in terms of gameplay and not characters”?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Wario Wario Wario has a right to their opinions and trying to say that those opinions are incorrect is wrong.

At the same time, communication only works if everyone within a discussion defines words the same way, so creating a custom definition for “sequel” will only lead to poor communication and arguments. Perhaps make a new term for “sequel specifically in terms of gameplay and not characters”?
Making up/Trying to define something already defined in a word is not an opinion. We have words in common for a reason.

I am not even ****ting you that that is exactly the same logic my racist mom uses to justify her use of slurs

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
tbh as much as I think it'd be too difficult/expensive to have representation for every Nicktoon ever, at the same time I doubted they'd add every somewhat prominent SpongeBob character ever, or at least not in 2. Even Smash took four games to have more than five Mario characters.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
She had a solid archtype and a gimmick her moveset worked around, just because she has less meme potential than Plankton doesn't mean she deserves to be cut.
I wasn't saying that she deserved to be cut, she's still an important piece of SpongeBob cast, but I was more saying that of all the unseen veterans, she probably would be the one that I would be the least surprised of being cut considering that we got 2 Spongebob newcomers.

And when I mentionned Plankton I wasn't talking about memes, I was talking about episodes statictics with Plankton becoming way more prominent in the latest season with Sandy becoming less prominent.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I get that SpongeBob is huge but to be fair I could see them cutting Sandy. First, we now have Jimmy that will have the science archetype (and sure Sandy does a bit more like Karate, but in more recent Spongebob episode she's pretty much the science girl). Besides, both Squidward and Plankton are arguably much more popular than her in the first place, espcially in most recent seasons (10 to 13) Sandy's roles are much smaller and she starts to appear way less while Plankton appear much more than usual. Unless you're really focusing on Season 1-3, Plankton is much bigger and popular than Sandy at this point.
I can't believe y'all are forgetting her Texas aesthetic. Sandy has a lot more moveset potential to pull from aside from science stuff, though that should still be featured in her movelist tbh.

There doesn't need to be a limit to "science" themed characters. For example, Plankton's also science themed to an extent, but it looks like he plays substantially different to Jimmy. Sandy would probably be the same way, with the same theme, but different gadgets/attacks to make her unique.

Sandy's still one of the main Spongebob characters in merchandise and is featured heavily in adverts and other promotional materials. I do think that Nick will make a few cuts, but I highly doubt Sandy's one of them. Spongebob is Nick's main flagship series after all, so the devs would probably go for more representation rather than less.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Man, if there's a limit on how many "science" characters we can have, I guess I'd better throw in the towel on getting Professor Membrane in the game, huh?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Man, if there's a limit on how many "science" characters we can have, I guess I'd better throw in the towel on getting Professor Membrane in the game, huh?
I'm afraid him getting in is
(for that matter if Jimmy makes Sandy redundant he should do the same for Jenny, you saw that guided missile he had right?)

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
First NASB 2 Spotlight Trailer is out!
The bite special is gone I'm so happy. That was my least favorite move on SpongeBob, it didn't feel like it belonged.
The new one looks better to me. The side special also looks nice and I guess it means SpongeBob is loosely more of a shoto character now that he has an advancing move.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I heard some people call Spongebob broken from the showcase.
He looks like a "jack of all trade" type of character so I could see him being an easy high tier. But since it's the only showcase we saw it's hard to really tell, he does look very strong but keep in mind that advanced techniques like slime cancelling will be available for all the cast, so if everyone has it it's not really broken. Also those techniques cost slime bar so you can't really spam them.

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
I feel the slime meter is going to be an issue. I know it helps those who are behind but also helps those who are ahead, I hope the trade off is if you are losing you gain slime faster but if you are winning your slime gauge doesn't fill up as fast balancing things out.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I feel the slime meter is going to be an issue. I know it helps those who are behind but also helps those who are ahead, I hope the trade off is if you are losing you gain slime faster but if you are winning your slime gauge doesn't fill up as fast balancing things out.
I... don't see this being an issue, to be honest? Other fighting games manage meter pretty well, and NASB2 borrows a lot of meter-based mechanics from those games like bursts and Roman cancels. I feel it shouldn't disproportionately help those in the lead since the meter has ways of being applied in disadvantage, too. Honestly, this game doesn't need a comeback mechanic and that's one of the things I'm glad the genre hasn't inherited from Smash.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I have recently found out that Mr. Krabs won't make the roster due to certain allegations by an anonymous source that goes by "Sheldon". He provided the following image.

WARNING: This picture is not for the faint of heart. HEAVILY NSFW. PLEASE DON'T CLICK

You've been warned

GOOD GRIEF HE IS NAKED!

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I have recently found out that Mr. Krabs won't make the roster due to certain allegations by an anonymous source that goes by "Sheldon". He provided the following image.

WARNING: This picture is not for the faint of heart. HEAVILY NSFW. PLEASE DON'T CLICK

You've been warned

GOOD GRIEF HE IS NAKED!
I don't understand, is there a gas leak in here?!

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
on the topic of "gas leak" - an appropriately "nickelodeon" tier-list, at least in my opinion
1691731380332.png

could tiermakers such as these be considered a benefit of the roster being plenty gag/joke-oriented? would the ideal nickelodeon brawler be balanced solely on gross-out appeal and bodily function? the answer can only be found in philosophy.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
on the topic of "gas leak" - an appropriately "nickelodeon" tier-list, at least in my opinion
View attachment 375939
could tiermakers such as these be considered a benefit of the roster being plenty gag/joke-oriented? would the ideal nickelodeon brawler be balanced solely on gross-out appeal and bodily function? the answer can only be found in philosophy.
If they added Heffer, he'd absolutely have a burping move - considering that the episode all about his belching is Joe Murray's favourite episode.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
If they added Heffer, he'd absolutely have a burping move - considering that the episode all about his belching is Joe Murray's favourite episode.
agreed! {its curious, i own the whole series on disc but i haven’t watched it in near-aeons. considering its stat as my fav nicktoon, i ought to rewatch}
you mentioning the creator intrigued me - do you suppose that, if they were consulting the original creators of each character, that any would be opposed to say. a belching install or “bad gas” item universal to all characters? do you suppose it really prove unfit to any one character on the roster?

its an odd example but rlly the politics behind crossovers are so fascinating. especially with the involvement i assume creators/corporations possess over their representation specifically.
though the prior hypothetical is again, more befit to nick’s spirit i’d think {?!}

{ addendum - my friends and i are unsure as to whether oblina is in hugh/garfield-tier. those particle effects are a fool’s errand. either way she’s up a tier }

Just saw this pop up on the subreddit.

Could mean VERY good things for the remaining veterans if things go as planned.
oh, that’s wonderful! i think displaying a more “thesis” approach to the character does wonders over displaying each move’s functionality - especially now that they’re presciently aware of how their player base can intuit movesets from gameplay.
all good publicity, i’d say!

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
People acting like there's any justification for dropping Sandy when she's quite literally the most prominent female Nickelodeon character just because "other characters can do science" is ludicrous. Like...add that to the fact that she's canonically a fighter and it makes no sense to cut her.
It's not really an argument so much as a discussion based on lack of understanding.
You've literally been nothing but hostile to WWW just because he has an opinion that doesn't meet your personal standard for how positive someone else's opinion should be. And the second half of that sentence is so grossly on a high horse.

I definitely don't agree with everything WWW says, but you have this weirdly vindictive vendetta that makes you come off as a total asshole for like...no reason.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
CRASHES INTO THE PARTY

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BABY!!!! NOW WE'RE TALKING!!!!

Not to mention the game looks more polished in terms of gameplay and graphics, so that's definitely an upgrade!

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sooooo just to be 99.9% certain, are we certain that image leak that dropped is real? Y'all remember what we thought about the Grinch Leak?

Asking because I don't want to set myself for disappointment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom