• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sooooo just to be 99.9% certain, are we certain that image leak that dropped is real? Y'all remember what we thought about the Grinch Leak?

Asking because I don't want to set myself for disappointment.
It came straight from Amazon.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
People acting like there's any justification for dropping Sandy when she's quite literally the most prominent female Nickelodeon character just because "other characters can do science" is ludicrous. Like...add that to the fact that she's canonically a fighter and it makes no sense to cut her.

You've literally been nothing but hostile to WWW just because he has an opinion that doesn't meet your personal standard for how positive someone else's opinion should be. And the second half of that sentence is so grossly on a high horse.

I definitely don't agree with everything WWW says, but you have this weirdly vindictive vendetta that makes you come off as a total asshole for like...no reason.
Have you considered that maybe you're reading too deep into it and that maybe I might actually be trying to understand his point of view or trying to get him to understand that maybe he should look at things from another perspective too?

And, frankly speaking, I actually do have an issue with him saying he sees video games as just "lines of code." It devalues and disrespects all the hardworking animators, musicians, voice actors, artists, and even general project leads who also put a lot of time and love into the game.

By saying that "it's not a sequel because it doesn't share the same core gameplay" you're basically saying that those people's jobs are equivalent to just putting a familiar coat of paint on something when it's more than just that.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Have you considered that maybe you're reading too deep into it and that maybe I might actually be trying to understand his point of view or trying to get him to understand that maybe he should look at things from another perspective too?

And, frankly speaking, I actually do have an issue with him saying he sees video games as just "lines of code." It devalues and disrespects all the hardworking animators, musicians, voice actors, artists, and even general project leads who also put a lot of time and love into the game.

By saying that "it's not a sequel because it doesn't share the same core gameplay" you're basically saying that those people's jobs are equivalent to just putting a familiar coat of paint on something when it's more than just that.
I never said that diegetic elements don't matter - in fact, there's plenty of games I love from an artistic standpoint but not gameplay (The PaRappa the Rapper, EarthBound, and Bubsy series to name 3) - just that when I enjoy a game for the gameplay, that trumps over everything else, so most of my expectations and desires for follow-ups are derived from that - especially (but not exclusively, of course) in multiplayer games - and I feel borderline-indifferent about everything else beyond "this would be kinda cool" or "huh, that's a cute detail" - I have had bad personal experiences with character reveal hype, especially for the reveals I was happy about, so building attachment to character inclusions is something I actively try to avoid. I am not trying to convince you of anything, just stating how I personally view games. Saying I'm disrespecting the artists by not caring for character choices is equivalent to me saying you don't care for game designers because you don't care about mechanics - which would be an obvious lie.

Anyway, gotta watch the Squidward presentation

Last edited:
So with the beavers finally in.

These would be my current wants.

Iroh
Leatherhead
Zuko
I think Zuko would be the most likely of these three by a longshot.

But if the leak is true, and it's looking more and more likely that it is, I should adjust my wanted fighters as well:

Mr. Krabs
Splinter
Sokka
Katara
Solo movesets for Ren Hoek and one of the Beavers.
Tommy Pickles
Arnold Shortman
Eliza Thornberry
Orson (U.S. Acres)
KaBlam! rep (Henry, June, The Flesh, Loopy, etc.)
Count Vlad
Doug Funnie
Mighty Mouse
Count Duckula

Some of them are much more likely than others.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Well, first off, loving all the references in Squidward's moveset.

Secondly... they gave him double jump cancels, a Game and Watch style side special that he'll more than likely be able to combo into, as well as Limit.

He's probably going to be a nightmare to fight lmao.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
So, Squidward's basically just a Hugh/Shredder combo? I can dig it. If Hugh is cut, Squidward will fill the funny floaty hole perfectly it seems. I'm not too big a fan of the painting move, but as long as it isn't an insta-kill move like Judge it'll be fine.

The door slam throw is funny.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I knew Squidward’s interpretive dances would be part of his moveset. Absolutely perfect.

Still getting used to seeing him beat up SpongeBob and Patrick. Always felt that would ruin the joke, but eh, at least they can fight back.

Four showcases a week until October, tho’. Not only does this bode well for the unseen veterans, but maaaaybe solo Beavers?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I never said that diegetic elements don't matter - in fact, there's plenty of games I love from an artistic standpoint but not gameplay (The PaRappa the Rapper, EarthBound, and Bubsy series to name 3) - just that when I enjoy a game for the gameplay, that trumps over everything else, so most of my expectations and desires for follow-ups are derived from that - especially (but not exclusively, of course) in multiplayer games - and I feel borderline-indifferent about everything else beyond "this would be kinda cool" or "huh, that's a cute detail" - I have had bad personal experiences with character reveal hype, especially for the reveals I was happy about, so building attachment to character inclusions is something I actively try to avoid. I am not trying to convince you of anything, just stating how I personally view games. Saying I'm disrespecting the artists by not caring for character choices is equivalent to me saying you don't care for game designers because you don't care about mechanics - which would be an obvious lie.

Anyway, gotta watch the Squidward presentation
Except the difference here is I 100% do care about mechanics. I even agree with you that gameplay is the most important aspect of the game. But that doesn't make the game not a sequel, man. There's a reason we don't have a word for "sequel in name only" because it's redundant.

Sequels exist in many different forms because it's such a broad term. Instead of finding some pedantic terminology, why not just herald it as a good sequel?

A good sequel recognizes the strengths of it's predecessor while actively trying to address the issues that people had with the former, which is exactly what the devs are doing here. The biggest complaints about the first game were the redendancy in character attacks, the not-great graphics, and lack of voice acting at launch, all of which are being addressed here.

Yes, we lost some things along the way but it still has everything that made it what it was in the first game - Nickelodeon characters, platform fighting, etc. By your own logic, Project M should be considered a NASB game, which shows that logic is flawed. It's just a sequel, man. There are many kinds of sequels. Some good, some bad, some very bad. Let's not muddy the waters by adding extra verbiage when it's not needed.

I don't hate you, in fact, I've grown to like you more than I used to. But the person I am is the kind of person who calls people out when I think they're making a bad take (in my opinion). I do it to my best friends too. It's not just you.

I don't really know why you're bringing up the hype culture thing, but you gotta get over that one, dude. How bad could it really be? One or two bad apples shouldn't spoil the bunch for you. Just go along with the ride of reveals and not get upset when you don't get your most wanted or when someone else rubs their most wanted in your face. It's just a game after all. Trust me, I'd been rooting for Sora for over a decade before he got added.

Just because a couple people may have given you **** over your thoughts on reveals, doesn't make hype in and of itself bad. You just hung around the wrong people, people that are probably just that big of an asshole in the first place. For what it's worth, if I ever contributed to that, I'm sorry.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think Zuko would be the most likely of these three by a longshot.

But if the leak is true, and it's looking more and more likely that it is, I should adjust my wanted fighters as well:

Mr. Krabs
Splinter
Sokka
Katara
Solo movesets for Ren Hoek and one of the Beavers.
Tommy Pickles
Arnold Shortman
Eliza Thornberry
Orson (U.S. Acres)
KaBlam! rep (Henry, June, The Flesh, Loopy, etc.)
Count Vlad
Doug Funnie
Mighty Mouse
Count Duckula

Some of them are much more likely than others.
The leak is true though, it came from Amazon.

Also. I don't know if you saw the showcase for Spongebob but Krabs has been deconfirmed apparently. Unless they pull a Toon Link?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I don't really know why you're bringing up the hype culture thing, but you gotta get over that one, dude. How bad could it really be? One or two bad apples shouldn't spoil the bunch for you. Just go along with the ride of reveals and not get upset when you don't get your most wanted or when someone else rubs their most wanted in your face. It's just a game after all. Trust me, I'd been rooting for Sora for over a decade before he got added.

Just because a couple people may have given you **** over your thoughts on reveals, doesn't make hype in and of itself bad. You just hung around the wrong people, people that are probably just that big of an asshole in the first place. For what it's worth, if I ever contributed to that, I'm sorry.
My distaste for hype culture isn't from the "bad apples" or "disappointment", it's from the actual being-excited part. K. Rool's reveal was a horrible time for me because it was so exciting and put me into a near-euphoric state that I was not well-equipped to handle for almost a week straight, all for a cartoon crocodile's footnote cameo as a disposable member in a cast of 80 in a crappy game with 7 frames of offline input lag. Have you ever seen that horror trope of someone who's always happy and is in constant pain for it? Yeah, that was me during Ultimate's pre-release.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

You lost me with your first eleven words. Instead of looking inward you double down on being rude. Don't have time for deflection lmao. Next.
God Squidward looks great. He animates super well, has a lot of care put into his playstyle, and references some of his best moments from the show. He's absolutely a day one main for me (or at least co-main alongside Nigel).

Very excited for Jimmy's showcase now.

FazDude

Smash Master
Weird how the Squidward showcase comes out the day after I do a moveset for him for my personal project… 🤔

Anyway, he seems really fun - A few unexpected moves, such as the painting move and an anger install, but he seems really fun to use. Handsome Squidward’s definitely going to be a super.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Champion
The leak is true though, it came from Amazon.

Also. I don't know if you saw the showcase for Spongebob but Krabs has been deconfirmed apparently. Unless they pull a Toon Link?
He has been stage cameoed. But in the first game they did turn some stage cameos off when a character was in play (Rock's Dog Spunky won't cameo if Rocko is in play) so it doesn't rule Krabs out completely for DLC

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
My distaste for hype culture isn't from the "bad apples" or "disappointment", it's from the actual being-excited part. K. Rool's reveal was a horrible time for me because it was so exciting and put me into a near-euphoric state that I was not well-equipped to handle for almost a week straight, all for a cartoon crocodile's footnote cameo in a crappy game with 7 frames of offline input lag. Have you ever seen that horror trope of someone who's always happy and is in constant pain for it? Yeah, that was me during Ultimate's pre-release.
Alright.

Pretty sure you're exaggerating the input lag, but even if you're not, it's still just a game? You're this upset about it five years later?

And it's a singular example, which means the bad apple anology is still apt. Hype around one game doesn't equate to hype around a different one. What you should take from this is "hype responsibility" not "hype is always bad."

You lost me with your first eleven words. Instead of looking inward you double down on being rude. Don't have time for deflection lmao. Next.
Opossum, I have seen you be just as much of an asshole over in the Future Smash thread (recently, might I add) and no one has ever given you **** about it. You're a pot calling the kettle black.

And for the record, when I said "lack of understanding" I was referring to myself not understanding. I'm trying to understand his POV.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I'm not interested in discussing sequel terminology. I know that NASB 2 is officially a sequel, it is just not a sequel to me. That's it. The entire Smash community has agreed upon 3DS and Wii U being the same game despite officially not being, so I don't see how this is any different.
And it's a singular example, which means the bad apple anology is still apt. Hype around one game doesn't equate to hype around a different one. What you should take from this is "hype responsibility" not "hype is always bad."
Why do you want me to be hyped? Even if I found a healthy balance (which I personally believe doesn't exist, since even "healthy" hype culture is dependent on screaming so loud that you wake up the neighbors), what does anyone else gain from me being hyped? I personally think I would've grown out of hype by now anyway even if Ultimate wasn't such a disaster for me.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Safe to assume we probably aren't going to get any showcases on the weekend. Any bets what day the next ones will happen?

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
Safe to assume we probably aren't going to get any showcases on the weekend. Any bets what day the next ones will happen?
Based on the 2-3 a week thing previously stated, I’d predict Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
Basically my thoughts as well. I feel like the Spongebob one we got on Thursday will be the exception and not the norm.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I knew Squidward’s interpretive dances would be part of his moveset. Absolutely perfect.

Still getting used to seeing him beat up SpongeBob and Patrick. Always felt that would ruin the joke, but eh, at least they can fight back.

Four showcases a week until October, tho’. Not only does this bode well for the unseen veterans, but maaaaybe solo Beavers?
Where did they say about four showcases a week?

I'm not interested in discussing sequel terminology. I know that NASB 2 is officially a sequel, it is just not a sequel to me. That's it. The entire Smash community has agreed upon 3DS and Wii U being the same game despite officially not being, so I don't see how this is any different.

Why do you want me to be hyped? Even if I found a healthy balance, what does anyone else gain from me being hyped? I personally think I would've grown out of hype by now anyway even if Ultimate wasn't such a disaster for me.
Frankly speaking I don't care if you're hyped or not I just want you to understand that you shouldn't always just take the most nuclear option because one day it's going to bite you in the ass, and for the fact that many things you have said cause me genuine concern for your mental health. Like, for example, being so upset about not liking a game that it makes you sick to your stomach, which you e openly admitted to before. That's not healthy dude. You even just admitted you don't have a healthy balance... Mental health is stupid important and it seems, at least to me, that you're not taking it as seriously as you should. It's not healthy to be this invested in games to a point it makes you sick.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Where did they say about four showcases a week?

Frankly speaking I don't care if you're hyped or not I just want you to understand that you shouldn't always just take the most nuclear option because one day it's going to bite you in the ass, and for the fact that many things you have said cause me genuine concern for your mental health. Like, for example, being so upset about not liking a game that it makes you sick to your stomach, which you e openly admitted to before. That's not healthy dude. You even just admitted you don't have a healthy balance... Mental health is stupid important and it seems, at least to me, that you're not taking it as seriously as you should. It's not healthy to be this invested in games to a point it makes you sick.
I don't need a balance. The "nuclear option" has worked for me - I am MUCH more happy now that I have cut hype culture out of my life completely, and I am never going back. Even if I missed hype and wanted to go back to that mentality, I'm simply too old.

Also, let me reiterate, it's not the disappointment that has hurt me, it was the excitement.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
I suppose they will showcase everyone shown in the reveal trailer per franchise.

Up next should be patrick. Then maybe Plankton. Though i guess they'll rather show Jimmy next.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I don't need a balance. The "nuclear option" has worked for me - I am MUCH more happy now that I have cut hype culture out of my life completely, and I am never going back. Even if I missed hype and wanted to go back to that mentality, I'm simply too old.

Also, let me reiterate, it's not the disappointment that has hurt me, it was the excitement.
That's not the only thing you always go to on a nuclear option though. You always pick the nuclear option. This isn't just about hype. The fact that it ever did that to you in the first place is alarming.

Just, please, for your own sake, try to take your mental health seriously. It's very important.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I suppose they will showcase everyone shown in the reveal trailer per franchise.

Up next should be patrick. Then maybe Plankton. Though i guess they'll rather show Jimmy next.
I hope they do show a non-Spongebob character next for variety's sake. There only being Spongebob characters in Squidward's showcase made it look like a Spongebob fighting game, not a Nickelodeon crossover.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
That's not the only thing you always go to on a nuclear option though. You always pick the nuclear option. This isn't just about hype. The fact that it ever did that to you in the first place is alarming.

Just, please, for your own sake, try to take your mental health seriously. It's very important.
Please stop trying to armchair psychoanalyze me, these are my personal issues and I don't trust some random person I already dislike on the SpongeBob beats up Garfield game forum thread with them.

FazDude

Smash Master
Something I just thought about - Big leak spoilers ahead.

Assuming Vlad’s the big bad of story mode, do you think he’ll be the only boss we see? I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case, but I do expect some “bossified” fighters in the vein of Metal Mario and Giant DK.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Please stop trying to armchair psychoanalyze me, these are my personal issues and I don't trust some random person I already dislike on the SpongeBob beats up Garfield game forum thread with them.
Okay, you got it boss. Sorry to make you feel uncomfortable. This is the last I'll say on it, but I feel it needs to be said:

The reason I'm concerned about it is the fact that I've been in your position before. I used to be a lot more tacked out about everything and I used to always take the nuclear option in regards to everything. I just don't like seeing other people go through that.

If I have been a source of stress for you, I apologize, and for what it's worth, I hope things get better for you and you work through these issues in time. I wish you the very best.

Last edited:
Top Bottom