• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Also want to bring a different topic back up, I get a lot of the demand for 2000's characters (hell I grew up with most of those shows), but who's anyone asking for from the 2010's? I get the sense that outside of TLH, Korra and TUFF Puppy, none of them lasted long (a few lasted less than a year!) and a good chunk of them seem to be really unpopular. So who's even there to put in?
In chronological order:

Planet Sheen: Sheen, Dorkus
Winx Club: Bloom, Stella, Flora, Musa, Tecna, Aisha, Roxy
Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness: Po, Tigress, Shifu
Robot and Monster: The title characters.
Monsters vs. Aliens: B.O.B., Missing Link, Dr. Cockroach
Sanjay and Craig: Sanjay, Craig, Remington Tufflips
Breadwinners: SwaySway, Buhdeuce, Rambamboo
Harvey Beaks: Harvey, Fee, Foo, Princess Roberts
Pig Goat Banana Cricket: The title says it all.
Bunsen Is a Beast: Bunsen, Mikey, Amanda
Welcome to the Wayne: Ansi, Olly, Saraline, Yelena Bishop, Prismal
The Adventures of Kid Danger: Kid Danger, Captain Man, Schwoz, Charlotte
Pinky Malinky: Pinky, JJ Jameson, Babs
Middle School Moguls: Valeria, Winnie, Celeste, Yuna
It's Pony: Pony, Annie Bramley
Glitch Techs: Miko, Five, Mitch, Zahra, Ridley, Phil Altiere
Middlemost Post: Parker J. Cloud, Angus, Russell, Lily, Mayor Peeve

And if Nickelodeon Movies is on the table:
Rango: Rango, Rattlesnake Jake
Wonder Park: June Bailey, Boomer, Peanut
Paws of Fury: Hank, Jimbo
Monster Trucks: Creech (The titular monster truck.)

Yeah. A few good choices, but not many of them would make it in from these shows.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I've thought this a lot. I'm surprised we don't have people complaining they aren't one now anyway after seeing it happen to Finn & Jake and Rick & Morty.

I'm half keeping up the good fight half resigned that Norb and Dag will probably get Ren & Stimpy'd. I'm holding out that the devs will watch the show to look for inspiration and come to the same realization Quick Gaming (QG) Quick Gaming (QG) did.

Also want to bring a different topic back up, I get a lot of the demand for 2000's characters (hell I grew up with most of those shows), but who's anyone asking for from the 2010's? I get the sense that outside of TLH, Korra and TUFF Puppy, none of them lasted long (a few lasted less than a year!) and a good chunk of them seem to be really unpopular. So who's even there to put in?
Let's see um..

Ansi & The Timber Twins, Sanjay & Craig, Bunsen(his show may be hated but he kinda has that fun/lovable feel to some), The Glitch Techs, Parker J. Cloud, and Freaking Annie & Pony for peep sake.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
In chronological order:

Planet Sheen: Sheen, Dorkus
Winx Club: Bloom, Stella, Flora, Musa, Tecna, Aisha, Roxy
Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness: Po, Tigress, Shifu
Robot and Monster: The title characters.
Monsters vs. Aliens: B.O.B., Missing Link, Dr. Cockroach
Sanjay and Craig: Sanjay, Craig, Remington Tufflips
Breadwinners: SwaySway, Buhdeuce, Rambamboo
Harvey Beaks: Harvey, Fee, Foo, Princess Roberts
Pig Goat Banana Cricket: The title says it all.
Bunsen Is a Beast: Bunsen, Mikey, Amanda
Welcome to the Wayne: Ansi, Olly, Saraline, Yelena Bishop, Prismal
The Adventures of Kid Danger: Kid Danger, Captain Man, Schwoz, Charlotte
Pinky Malinky: Pinky, JJ Jameson, Babs
Middle School Moguls: Valeria, Winnie, Celeste, Yuna
It's Pony: Pony, Annie Bramley
Glitch Techs: Miko, Five, Mitch, Zahra, Ridley, Phil Altiere
Middlemost Post: Parker J. Cloud, Angus, Russell, Lily, Mayor Peeve

And if Nickelodeon Movies is on the table:
Rango: Rango, Rattlesnake Jake
Wonder Park: June Bailey, Boomer, Peanut
Paws of Fury: Hank, Jimbo
Monster Trucks: Creech (The titular monster truck.)

Yeah. A few good choices, but not many of them would make it in from these shows.
From that list, I would probably say Rango is the most likely. Always a relatively popular spot on fan polls, and one of the most beloved animated films of the 2010s... though I also have no clue how the copyright for the IP works being a movie with a Nick logo at the start and not a TV show, and, as has been brought up many a time, he uses guns, so there's still a lot going against him.

darkvortex

Smash Champion
From that list, I would probably say Rango is the most likely. Always a relatively popular spot on fan polls, and one of the most beloved animated films of the 2010s... though I also have no clue how the copyright for the IP works being a movie with a Nick logo at the start and not a TV show, and, as has been brought up many a time, he uses guns, so there's still a lot going against him.
Glitch Techs does have fan demand going for it. I'd rate Winx higher too if it hadn't recently he sold

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I don't see why copyright would be issue just because it's a movie. The movie is made by Nickelodeon movies and is distributed by Paramount, so they have no rights issue.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I don't see why copyright would be issue just because it's a movie. The movie is made by Nickelodeon movies and is distributed by Paramount, so they have no rights issue.
Isn't Paramount one of those companies where there's like, 7 different Paramounts?

Either way, I did check the credits for Rango and the SpongeBob Movie 2 - the later specifically lists Nick in the copyrights, the prior doesn't, that's what I'm a bit confused by. I know that the SpongeBob show wasn't allowed to use characters from the movies for quite some time, though that has since been lifted. Corporate IP politics are weird.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I think one of my next couple videos is gonna be on why solo Angry Beavers would be better than a duo, y’all wanna list off some reasons/rationale? I know who I’m asking specifically but idk how to notify specific users on SmashBoards lol

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think one of my next couple videos is gonna be on why solo Angry Beavers would be better than a duo, y’all wanna list off some reasons/rationale? I know who I’m asking specifically but idk how to notify specific users on SmashBoards lol
you type in @ and the the user's name

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
For one thing, the game's performance issues mean this would be your average Switch after trying to render 4 Norbert models and 4 Daggett models on Double Dare

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Here's a sum up of every rationale/argument I've made for the Beavers being separate that I can recall.

- NASB1 would not be able to handle it, and if NASB2 has similar problems, it wouldn’t be able to either, especially on certain platforms.

- It's not true to the characters.

• It limits any moveset potential and pigeonholes them into being another “beat each other up to fight” character, which we have two of already. People didn’t like Hugh having two moves similar to Garfield, would they really be okay with the Beavers sharing moves with CatDog and R&S?
  • Making them model swaps of each other means limiting the personality of each. Beyond basic body shape, Dag and Norb are nothing alike in personality or mannerisms. You’d either need to make them act out of character or water them down to make the shared moves work.
  • A lot of the potential attacks the beavers have that can be referenced are used on each other. Having them separated and competing against one another is truer to their sibling rivalry dynamic than just having them beat each other up to fight.
  • The show itself doesn’t treat the two as a singular unit. Unlike CatDog and Ren and Stimpy, Norb and Dag are shown to have lives outside of each other, with Norbert having a social life and Daggett very often enacting harebrained schemes by himself.
  • There in general would be more to work with in a single Beaver than if they stapled them together.
- Not every pair of characters in existence needs to be crammed into a duo fighter
  • There’s no real reason to make them a duo fighter beyond the fact that there’s two of them.
  • Much like how Ren and Stimpy turned out, there’s no gimmick that would justify it.
  • They aren’t interchangeable clones like people seem to think. They are cartoon characters, not video game characters, so that logic does not apply here.
  • People who are unfamiliar with the characters are only putting them together like this because it sounds like an easy 90’s character pick, not because they are fans of the show.
  • Team battles exist if you want them to work together. As MVS has shown with getting to play co-op as Finn and Jake or Rick and Morty, that’s arguably more fun.
- There’s already a limited pool of Nickelodeon characters as it is, keeping them separate leaves more potential picks open for the future.
  • Even if we get one Beaver to start with, eventually we’ll get the other as the series continues with more DLC and sequels.
  • If people want four separate Turtles, we can have two separate Beavers.

If you'd like, I can link you those movesets I drew to use in the video, so long as I get a credit back.

Last edited:

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
I think I know who you're referring to lol. Sorry for the lengthy post, but hopefully something in here helps you with your video.

The biggest reason for me is basically what I said previously: they are 2 seperate characters with distinct and damn near opposite personalities who have more than enough material to work with to make them stand out not only from each other, but also from other characters on the roster. If we look at some of the duo characters in Smash:
The Ice Climbers had the exact same model so it was really easy to make them a duo character since all you had to do was change the hair design and the color of Popo's jacket from blue to pink. Daggett and Norbert's designs aren't as one to one (Norb's hair is poofier, their quills/fins are different shapes, Dag's nose is narrow and pointy while Norb's nose is wider, Dag has sharper teeth, and their noses, quills/fins, tails, eyes, and fur are all different colors).

Duck Hunt has both the dog and the duck work togethor to help each other fight, but both the dog and the duck are different sizes. As a result, modeling them with having the duck ride on the back of the dog makes sense. Why would Dag decide to ride on top of Norb to fight other characters? Height Advantage?

Banjo and Kazooie are 2 characters that have 2 distinct personalities like the beavers, and they manage to fight alongside each other just fine. The key difference here being that Banjo and Kazooie would actually want to work with each other. Norbert wouldn't want to work with Daggett. He finds Daggett annoying and his boundless energy and vindictive attitude would constantly put Dag in his way and screw up his plans. Plus, he has his cool guy reputation to upkeep, and losers don't look cool. Likewise, Dag wouldn't want to work with Norb. Daggett is much more "act now, think later" and would feel that Norbert's careful planning and laissez faire attitude would only slow them down. Plus, he wants to get all of that sweet sweet glory for himself.

And okay, if the beavers wouldn't want to work togethor, why not just take a page out of Multiversus's book and pull a Tom and Jerry? Have the characters fight each other and the opponenets get caught in the crossfire. Because we already have a character who does that! CATDOG! Who, unlike the beavers, doesn't have to worry about the modeling issues because they are literally attached at the hip!

And then..... then we have Ren & Stimpy, who I am afraid is what the beavers will end up becoming if the devs go the duo route. Look at Ren and Stimpy's moveset:
Strong Dash = Stimpy Drives a car
Neutral Special = Stimpy throws a log
Up special = Stimpy presses a button that blows them up
Down special = Stimpy absorbs up to 3 hits and counters with a huge fart
Strong dair = Stimpy hurtles down towards the stage
Light dash = Stimpy runs forward and licks the opponent

Do you notice how I haven't even mentioned Ren's name yet? That's because all of the moves that Ren does things for, Stimpy also does things for!!
Light Up = Ren stomps his feet down and Stimpy licks his tongue up
Light neutral = Ren chokes Stimpy out
Light down = Ren hits stimpy in the face with a bat
Light nair = Ren and Stimpy swing their legs togethor
Light up-air = same as light up but in the air
Light dair = same as light down but in the air
Strong neutral = Ren makes a funny face, stimpy's eyes bulge out
Strong down = Ren throws Stimpy down in front of him
Strong up = Stimpy swings Ren at the opponent

I'm sure you get it by now. In literally every single move in their arsenal, Ren either has nothing to do, or he needs Stimpy in order to do it. In NASB, at least to me personally, I don't feel like I'm playing as "Ren and Stimpy". I feel like I'm playing as "Stimpy: Featuring Ren". And that's what I'm afraid of when I hear people say that the beavers should be a duo fighter. I'm afraid that one of the beavers (probably Norb) will be given most of the better/flashier moves and Dag will be left in the shadows. With the beavers, the only connections I see to make them a duo are "they're brothers and there's 2 of them." By that logic, Mario and Luigi should be a duo character.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I should also bring up Muscular Beaver (Dag's superhero persona) and Baron von Bad Beaver (Norb's supervillain persona). which, if they really want to make a stance character out of the Angry Beavers, are right there to use instead of the two of them being a Pyra/Mythra situation.

Also adding to the sibling rivalry/they wouldn't work together point, Muscular Beaver and Baron von Bad Beaver are at least half the time portrayed as adversaries.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I should also bring up Muscular Beaver (Dag's superhero persona) and Baron von Bad Beaver (Norb's supervillain persona). which, if they really want to make a stance character out of the Angry Beavers, are right there to use instead of the two of them being a Pyra/Mythra situation.

Also adding to the sibling rivalry/they wouldn't work together point, Muscular Beaver and Baron von Bad Beaver are at least half the time portrayed as adversaries.
Imagine finally getting a FOP character and it's a Crimson Chin/Bronze Kneecap duo that does neither of them justice.

That would be this lol.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Imagine finally getting a FOP character and it's a Crimson Chin/Bronze Kneecap duo that does neither of them justice.

That would be this lol.
Well I meant more Daggett/Muscular Beaver or Norbert/Baron von Bad Beaver, not Muscular Beaver/Baron von Bad Beaver

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Either way, I definitely agree that people are waaaaaaay to quick to throw everything they can into a duo character. And it's not just here. It's a problem for pretty much every platform fighter...even hypothetical speculative ones.

Punch-Time Explosion did irreversible damage to the way platform fighter fans make rosters.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Either way, I definitely agree that people are waaaaaaay to quick to throw everything they can into a duo character. And it's not just here. It's a problem for pretty much every platform fighter...even hypothetical speculative ones.

Punch-Time Explosion did irreversible damage to the way platform fighter fans make rosters.
If there's anything PTE did right, it was not doing that to the PPG.

But then they went and did it to almost evey other pair of characters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If there's anything PTE did right, it was not doing that to the PPG.

But then they went and did it to almost evey other pair of characters.
Lmao I was just gonna say, it's an absolute miracle they didn't stick the three of them together.

Like I can excuse Chowder and Kimchi. It's closer to like, Eight's mouse in Ultimate whose name escapes me.

But Mac+Bloo and Billy+Mandy...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't think it's even that. I think it's just people noticing the game doesn't have a character they can call an Ice Climbers equivalent...without realizing WHY it doesn't have one.

Judging by today's current panel of discussion, I have three things to say.

First, we should hypothesize a Ren Hoek solo moveset and put "Ren as a separate fighter" in the RTC poll for the sequel. Because, when I read that moveset, I found myself agreeing that it was Stimpy doing all the work. Granted, that makes sense in theory, because that's how they interact in the show. But when translating it into a fighting game mechanic, it just looks bad.

Second, Punch Time Explosion XL should have had a 30-character roster to fix the "duos should be grouped together, logic be damned" thing with Mac, Bloo, Billy, and Mandy. The other two slots can go to anyone else.

Third, anyone who thinks Norb and Dag should be a duo after all that's been said today, kindly excuse yourself from the conversation until you know better.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Judging by today's current panel of discussion, I have three things to say.

First, we should hypothesize a Ren Hoek solo moveset and put "Ren as a separate fighter" in the RTC poll for the sequel. Because, when I read that moveset, I found myself agreeing that it was Stimpy doing all the work. Granted, that makes sense in theory, because that's how they interact in the show. But when translating it into a fighting game mechanic, it just looks bad.

Second, Punch Time Explosion XL should have had a 30-character roster to fix the "duos should be grouped together, logic be damned" thing with Mac, Bloo, Billy, and Mandy. The other two slots can go to anyone else.

Third, anyone who thinks Norb and Dag should be a duo after all that's been said today, kindly excuse yourself from the conversation until you know better.
“The other two slots” should go to Courage and one of the Ed’s because seriously how did they not make the cut in any capacity? It’s not as bad as Timmy and Jimmy but still a pretty noticeable gap

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
“The other two slots” should go to Courage and one of the Ed’s because seriously how did they not make the cut in any capacity? It’s not as bad as Timmy and Jimmy but still a pretty noticeable gap
In the Eds' case, Danny Antonucci has more control over their license.

I dunno if Crave would've had the resources to add two more characters anyway if their Tokyo Xtreme Racer localizations weren't able to relicense every car/wheel brand in the Japanese versions.

If NASB must have an Ice Climbers character, give me Nick and Jr.
View attachment 374794
"Yes." He bluntly approved, trying not to squee like a common variety fangirl.
You know what? Yes. As for which Ed, I'd go with Double D as the more unique fighter.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
In the Eds' case, Danny Antonucci has more control over their license.

I dunno if Crave would've had the resources to add two more characters anyway if their Tokyo Xtreme Racer localizations weren't able to relicense every car/wheel brand in the Japanese versions.
Did danny not care about letting the eds get in? That's mostly my speculation cause he kinda hates canada.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To tie it back to the other conversation, the Eds are the perfect example of a set of characters people try their hardest to cram into one fighter while disregarding all logic lmao. One's a tank, one's likely to be a zoner grab bag character with his various inventions, and the other is a speedy schemer who'd probably have moves to match, but back during Multiversus speculation a lot of people would insist on them being a trio...despite all three having more than enough to work with on their own.

So I definitely feel for the Single Beaver crew.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
To tie it back to the other conversation, the Eds are the perfect example of a set of characters people try their hardest to cram into one fighter while disregarding all logic lmao. One's a tank, one's likely to be a zoner grab bag character with his various inventions, and the other is a speedy schemer who'd probably have moves to match, but back during Multiversus speculation a lot of people would insist on them being a trio...despite all three having more than enough to work with on their own.

cough Catscratch cough

LimeTH

Smash Lord

MVS is pretty good about not cramming pairs of characters together unless absolutely necessary. It's more fun to play co-op as Finn and Jake, which is something me and a friend did often, than it would be to play as both at once while my friend plays as Batman or something.

My question to these people though is, how the hell would a trio of Eds even work? Would they all be huddled together like the Ant Hill Mob or stacked into a tower or something? That would look stupid. How would they attack if all three of them are glued together? They would have to give them a bunch of generic "swing each other around" moves or the most basic EEnE references possible that could apply to all three.

Same thing with Mordecai and Rigby, the PPG, Gumball and Darwin, why do they want the whole game to be duos?

Only one I can kind of get is the Warner siblings as a Pokemon trainer kind of deal, since I guess there wouldn't be much to differentiate all three of them from Bugs on their own, but even then, that's still just putting them together because there's more than one of them.

I think actually fitting candidates for duo/teams would be like, Cosmo and Wanda (with or without Timmy) or Sanjay and Craig.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I feel that a lot of the "cram into a duo/trio fighter" mentality comes from the fact that these games typically have limited slots (especially in DLC, imagine how much backlash there'd be if two of the last game's three slots were Angry Beavers) and budgets, and there are plenty of duos/trios where it feels weird to not have the whole set, so a lot of people want to have the whole set represented while not having to give 2-3 extra character slots to a given IP just to fulfill that. Not saying that it's good or anything, just putting in a theory as to why people think the way they do. I can get how to put Zim and Gir together, along with Ren and Stimpy, but I can't see any way to put the beavers into one character without it looking awkward.

Last edited:
Top Bottom