• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To be fair, would anyone really be asking for a second CatDog rep? For all intents and purposes, the title character(s) is enough to most people.
Oh no I totally get that, as funny as getting, say, Rancid or Winslow or any of the Greasers would be. But it also just sticks out since it's the only missing veteran franchise.

Oh no I totally get that, as funny as getting, say, Rancid or Winslow or any of the Greasers would be. But it also just sticks out since it's the only missing veteran franchise.
Yeah, that is weird. People would rather vote for Anne Boonchuy, Weird Al Yankovic, Jeff Probst, Ruby Gillman, Rock Howard, or RBUK than they would another Nearburg resident. And those are just the obviously third-party votes that barely have a shot.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
View attachment 374675
THE LATEST AND GREATEST NICKBRAWL MOST WANTED CHARACTER POLL RESULTS ARE HERE! I personally love this top 25 a lot, thoughts?

Full results: https://shorturl.at/BJNO2
Well, these are definitely some interesting results.

I'm kind of surprised at how low Jimmy is (relatively speaking); do you guys think that the leaks are a reason why? Or did the desire for Jimmy fade or something?

If the leaks are true, though, then it only makes sense that Timmy be the overall winner; assuming the entire roster from the first game returns, then he'll be the only one of the Big Four of Speculation to not be in the game.

I am SUPER happy Snap is at least within the Top 5; Chalkzone is a show that I think needs more love, and I feel Snap would represent it well and be an interesting fighter.

REALLY surprised at how high Otis is, though. I imagine it's similar to the desire for Hugh and just wanting a really funny character in the game. You know what, I can get behind that.

Finally, what show is Miko from? And is it any good?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Also wish we had vote counts for each character.

Well, these are definitely some interesting results.

I'm kind of surprised at how low Jimmy is (relatively speaking); do you guys think that the leaks are a reason why? Or did the desire for Jimmy fade or something?

If the leaks are true, though, then it only makes sense that Timmy be the overall winner; assuming the entire roster from the first game returns, then he'll be the only one of the Big Four of Speculation to not be in the game.

I am SUPER happy Snap is at least within the Top 5; Chalkzone is a show that I think needs more love, and I feel Snap would represent it well and be an interesting fighter.

REALLY surprised at how high Otis is, though. I imagine it's similar to the desire for Hugh and just wanting a really funny character in the game. You know what, I can get behind that.

Finally, what show is Miko from? And is it any good?
The leaks are absolutely the reason for the leaked characters being lower than they normally would be. The issue is the poll itself never made it apparent that you should vote as if we don't know any leaked characters; by the time this was said publicly, many already voted.

People in general are less likely to vote for something they know will happen unless told to do so.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
some of the characters people have voted for are so random. i take it count duckula was broadcast on nickelodeon at some point? but what is the connection for count olaf?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
some of the characters people have voted for are so random. i take it count duckula was broadcast on nickelodeon at some point? but what is the connection for count olaf?
The Series of Unfortunate Events movie from the early 2000s was done by them.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
What's Angry Beavers rep support look like in there anyways? I've never been.
As the only unrepped pre-SBSP Nicktoon left to be added that isn't owned by a competitor, their chances are quite good actually.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Something tells me I'm glad I don't have a Discord account.
To me, Discord's more fun when you avoid the huge servers and stick with smaller, tighter knit ones, or use it to keep in touch with online friends.

Just because a lot of NASBcord doesn't get that Nick cares more about Aaahh!!! Real Monsters than any 2010s Nicktoon that isn't TMNT/Korra/TLH doesn't mean it's necessarily awful
I get the sense that a lot of NASB discussions are bringing up 90's characters in discussion because they seem like easy picks, not so much because they're fans of the shows. Rocko seemed obvious because he's a very popular 90's character, Dag and Norb seem obvious because they were fairly popular 90's characters, and they seem like they'd obviously be a duo because I guess there's two of them. Rocket Power existed.
I get people who grew up with those shows like I did are probably a minority since a lot of them are older and probably aren't as frequently online as 2000's-2010's kids, but I dunno, I still think it's a little unfair that discussion is so dismissive of 90's characters.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I get people who grew up with those shows like I did are probably a minority since a lot of them are older and probably aren't as frequently online as 2000's-2010's kids,
What's weird is that one of these people who ignores how Nick would rather cater to 90's/2000's nostalgia...is someone who grew up on the original Nicktoons allegedly.

Just because a lot of NASBcord doesn't get that Nick cares more about Aaahh!!! Real Monsters than any 2010s Nicktoon that isn't TMNT/Korra/TLH doesn't mean it's necessarily awful
Okay, I hear you. But it is odd that, unlike most other Nick-centric social media servers, this one is hyperfocused on the 2010s and sooner than prior decades. Although, to be fair, this was the time the execs were being needlessly selective with their new shows. If you know, you know.
To me, Discord's more fun when you avoid the huge servers and stick with smaller, tighter knit ones, or use it to keep in touch with online friends.

I get the sense that a lot of NASB discussions are bringing up 90's characters in discussion because they seem like easy picks, not so much because they're fans of the shows. Rocko seemed obvious because he's a very popular 90's character, Dag and Norb seem obvious because they were fairly popular 90's characters, and they seem like they'd obviously be a duo because I guess there's two of them. Rocket Power existed.
I get people who grew up with those shows like I did are probably a minority since a lot of them are older and probably aren't as frequently online as 2000's-2010's kids, but I dunno, I still think it's a little unfair that discussion is so dismissive of 90's characters.
Absolutely. And that advice sticks true for all websites that allow for interaction, really.

If you want my two cents, the mixed bag of 90s character discussion is warranted on both sides of the equation. Yes, they're easy picks at first, and all the big name Nicktoons from 1991 until 2000 have a character in the first game, and even a couple notable acquisitions whose best periods were in the 90s.

And yet, to dismiss the 90s and focus on the 21st century stars feels equally as shoddy, but for different reasons as to why.

At times like these it's best to bring up Pop Arena's take on Nickelodeon fandom: "The best era of Nick is whichever period you grew up in, 10-15 years ago." Perspectives change with time, and it should be welcomed rather than dreaded.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
At times like these it's best to bring up Pop Arena's take on Nickelodeon fandom: "The best era of Nick is whichever period you grew up in, 10-15 years ago." Perspectives change with time, and it should be welcomed rather than dreaded.
Well I do try to hide my own nostalgic biases when I think The Mighty B is the last unrepped Nicktoon to be likely, given that it's a show I didn't actively watch since I was too busy with TF2 and GMod cartoons starring its classes.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Okay, I hear you. But it is odd that, unlike most other Nick-centric social media servers, this one is hyperfocused on the 2010s and sooner than prior decades. Although, to be fair, this was the time the execs were being needlessly selective with their new shows. If you know, you know.

Absolutely. And that advice sticks true for all websites that allow for interaction, really.

If you want my two cents, the mixed bag of 90s character discussion is warranted on both sides of the equation. Yes, they're easy picks at first, and all the big name Nicktoons from 1991 until 2000 have a character in the first game, and even a couple notable acquisitions whose best periods were in the 90s.

And yet, to dismiss the 90s and focus on the 21st century stars feels equally as shoddy, but for different reasons as to why.

i agree with your last part, while 90's nick is iconic the later eras shouldn't be disregarded.

LimeTH

Smash Lord

I mean, I agree we need more 2000's-2010's characters at the same time I want 90's characters I care about to be represented well.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I get how on the surface Dag and Norb would seem like Icies type characters but like watching 1/2 episodes in preparation for NASB 1 made it super obvious it wouldn’t work for a multitude of reasons. Honestly duo/trio characters are very overdiscussed I feel, unless it’s for a character that probably wouldn’t be great by themselves (Plankton, Jerry in MVS, Duck Hunt, Icies, etc), duo/trio character concepts that aren’t literally Aegis style don’t really make sense to me

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I get how on the surface Dag and Norb would seem like Icies type characters but like watching 1/2 episodes in preparation for NASB 1 made it super obvious it wouldn’t work for a multitude of reasons. Honestly duo/trio characters are very overdiscussed I feel, unless it’s for a character that probably wouldn’t be great by themselves (Plankton, Jerry in MVS, Duck Hunt, Icies, etc), duo/trio character concepts that aren’t literally Aegis style don’t really make sense to me
Yeah, this is something I've been saying forever.

The thing people tend to do is they see any duo or any team and then just automatically lump them all together in an Ice Climbers or Pokemon Trainer sort of situation without really considering if it'd make any sense or how it would work. It's not just with Dag and Norb, it's with tons of characters I see people keep cramming together.

Almost all the duo/team switching fighters we have actually make sense and are designed in a way that's faithful to those characters, who they are, their dynamics with each other, etc.
Tom and Jerry are designed around fighting each other more than they're fighting the opponent, who gets caught in the crossfire. This makes sense for Tom and Jerry as characters, who in their cartoons, cause chaos for others around them while they're fighting, and are often so wrapped up in the chase they have zero awareness of the plot happening around them. Jerry is also much smaller than Tom, allowing them to work as a compact unit when together.
Pokémon Trainer is based around the gameplay of the Pokémon games, where during battles, you can switch out Pokémon when needed or have to when they faint. This translates over to the gimmick of having three unique Pokémon to choose from. It makes sense for there to be only one of them at a time.
Pyra and Mythra's stance gameplay is based off the fact they're two personalities of the same one person who actually do switch forms when needed in-universe. It makes sense for only one to be out at a time because they literally can't physically be both out at once (at least not at a certain point in their story)
CatDog is literally joined at the hip. Their moveset takes as much advantage of this as its able. Them being one body also allows them to work as a compact single unit.
They didn't just slap all these characters together because there was more then one of them. There was actual thought put behind it.

Then you got suggestions like Daggett and Norbert, Mordecai and Rigby, the Powerpuff Girls, I've even seen people on this board complaining that Finn and Jake and Rick and Morty in MVS aren't duos. If Finn is swinging Jake shaped like a hammer around, that's not true to Finn's in-universe skills and then we miss out on the cool stuff we could do with Jake's stretchy powers. It just completely ignores that these characters are portrayed as individuals with their own lives, characterizations, styles of doing things, etc.
And that's how we get stuff like Ren and Stimpy, who have no real reason to be a duo character. Using each other as bludgeons is absolutely something they would do, but otherwise they seem to be smushed together purely because, well, there's two of them.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think that's very fair, but it seems that many people seems to think that we would got both Beavers as one because for the first game they did Ren and Stimpy as one characters and you could probably easily make a case that they could/should have been separated too.

Personally for the Beavers I still think we're not going to get both unless the sequel surprised us and we get like 15 newcomers. I would be very surprised if we get like 8 newcomers and two slots are given to Angry beavers. I think we'll get either one of them (which I think would most likely be Dagett) or they're just going to rep both as a duo similar to Ren and Stimpy.

And also, if they're a duo characters they don't need to be like Ice climbers. They could work like Ren and Stimpy or Tom and Jerry and have different moves and animations but still be part of the same character.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord

The thing people tend to do is they see any duo or any team and then just automatically lump them all together in an Ice Climbers or Pokemon Trainer sort of situation without really considering if it'd make any sense or how it would work. It's not just with Dag and Norb, it's with tons of characters I see people keep cramming together.

Almost all the duo/team switching fighters we have actually make sense and are designed in a way that's faithful to those characters, who they are, their dynamics with each other, etc.
Tom and Jerry are designed around fighting each other more than they're fighting the opponent, who gets caught in the crossfire. This makes sense for Tom and Jerry as characters, who in their cartoons, cause chaos for others around them while they're fighting, and are often so wrapped up in the chase they have zero awareness of the plot happening around them. Jerry is also much smaller than Tom, allowing them to work as a compact unit when together.
Pokémon Trainer is based around the gameplay of the Pokémon games, where during battles, you can switch out Pokémon when needed or have to when they faint. This translates over to the gimmick of having three unique Pokémon to choose from. It makes sense for there to be only one of them at a time.
Pyra and Mythra's stance gameplay is based off the fact they're two personalities of the same one person who actually do switch forms when needed in-universe. It makes sense for only one to be out at a time because they literally can't physically be both out at once (at least not at a certain point in their story)
CatDog is literally joined at the hip. Their moveset takes as much advantage of this as its able. Them being one body also allows them to work as a compact single unit.
They didn't just slap all these characters together because there was more then one of them. There was actual thought put behind it.

Then you got suggestions like Daggett and Norbert, Mordecai and Rigby, the Powerpuff Girls, I've even seen people on this board complaining that Finn and Jake and Rick and Morty in MVS aren't duos. If Finn is swinging Jake shaped like a hammer around, that's not true to Finn's in-universe skills and then we miss out on the cool stuff we could do with Jake's stretchy powers. It just completely ignores that these characters are portrayed as individuals with their own lives, characterizations, styles of doing things, etc.
And that's how we get stuff like Ren and Stimpy, who have no real reason to be a duo character. Using each other as bludgeons is absolutely something they would do, but otherwise they seem to be smushed together purely because, well, there's two of them.
I was about to bring up Ren & Stimpy lol, yeah that character basically feels like Stimpy guest starring Ren. Maybe they’d be more appreciated when they get their much needed visual overhaul but as is I agree they feel a little crammed together, even if for NASB 1 I’m glad they didn’t take up 2 of the already limited slots I’d be ok with them getting separated in the future as well

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I think that's very fair, but it seems that many people seems to think that we would got both Beavers as one because for the first game they did Ren and Stimpy as one characters and you could probably easily make a case that they could/should have been separated too.

Personally for the Beavers I still think we're not going to get both unless the sequel surprised us and we get like 15 newcomers. I would be very surprised if we get like 8 newcomers and two slots are given to Angry beavers. I think we'll get either one of them (which I think would most likely be Dagett) or they're just going to rep both as a duo similar to Ren and Stimpy.

And also, if they're a duo characters they don't need to be like Ice climbers. They could work like Ren and Stimpy or Tom and Jerry and have different moves and animations but still be part of the same character.
Well the problem with that is in doing so, you’re giving this game its third “they beat each other up to fight” character. CatDog and Ren & Stimpy have the market cornered on that archetype. Even then, R&S being the way they are makes doing it with the Beavers seem redundant.

I’m fine with not getting both Beavers right away since if this series continues to get DLC and sequels there’s a non-zero chance we’ll get the other one eventually.

Last edited:

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice

As someone who has Daggett as his most wanted character, I agree entirely with your point. The closest I could see Daggett and Norbert sharing the same slot working would be a Zelda/Sheik situation where the down special would allow you to swap one beaver in for another. I made a post a long time ago about how I imagined the beavers would play in a game like this (in the sense that they would have similar moves to each other, but be the the exact opposites in terms of their playstyles). Maybe while playing as daggett and using the down special to switch, Norb would appear behind dag and bop him off of the screen and into last week (which could count as both an attack, and a reference to the episode Same Time Last Week). But unlike Zelda/Sheik, Dag and Norb are two completely separate characters. Yes, they are heavily related to each other being brothers and all, but I believe each beaver offers more than enough materials to make them stand out amongst each other, as well as the other characters on the roster!

Now that I'm thinking about it more critically, y'know who would probably make a much better duo fighter than the beavers/ren and stimpy being crammed togethor? Sanjay and Craig!! Literally in the opening theme song of the show, we see Sanjay use Craig as a whip, and vine to swing from, and craig inflates like a cushion for Sanjay to land on. They have different body proportions with Craig being a snake, so you could easily have Craig wrapped around Sanjay while he moves and Sanjay can use Craig to maybe extend the reach on some of his moves.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
If SpongeBob didn't take off and was just a weird relic from that 90s-2000s mid point, I wonder how many people would be entertaining the idea of duo SpongeBob and Patrick

Though, I will say that if that was a thing, it wouldn't be all too redundant since they'd work as an actual team with no in-fighting. (even though CatDog's moves are really a lot more team-based than R&S' outside of the jab and strong dash)

LimeTH

Smash Lord
If SpongeBob didn't take off and was just a weird relic from that 90s-2000s mid point, I wonder how many people would be entertaining the idea of duo SpongeBob and Patrick

Though, I will say that if that was a thing, it wouldn't be all too redundant since they'd work as an actual team with no in-fighting. (even though CatDog's moves are really a lot more team-based than R&S' outside of the jab and strong dash)
I've thought this a lot. I'm surprised we don't have people complaining they aren't one now anyway after seeing it happen to Finn & Jake and Rick & Morty.

I'm half keeping up the good fight half resigned that Norb and Dag will probably get Ren & Stimpy'd. I'm holding out that the devs will watch the show to look for inspiration and come to the same realization Quick Gaming (QG) Quick Gaming (QG) did.

Also want to bring a different topic back up, I get a lot of the demand for 2000's characters (hell I grew up with most of those shows), but who's anyone asking for from the 2010's? I get the sense that outside of TLH, Korra and TUFF Puppy, none of them lasted long (a few lasted less than a year!) and a good chunk of them seem to be really unpopular. So who's even there to put in?

Top Bottom