• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Imagine if Daddy Pig was a fighter, I can picture him saying this:
"I am an expert at fighting."

(Something something Nick Jr reps in Smash)

7NATOR

Smash Master
So With some of the Revelations in the Thread, I revised some of my Predictions for the Game. Roster Prediction below

-What seemed to be Donnie in the background seems to be Mondo Gecko instead, which removes huge evidence of the suggestion that TMNT might not have all 4 Turtles

Even when suggesting the idea, I did think it was really weird, since I don't think there's a source of media where it's not all 4 Turtles, even when it came at the cost of rosters that tended to be really Small (The Recent Kart Racer one had all 4 Turtles despite the roster being really small)

I do now think that all 4 TMNT will be Playable in some capacity. It's probably also a good reason why they went with the 87 Designs, since the Turtles in these designs are the Same Model, with the differences being the Headband and Weapons

-The Roster on the Website seems to be listed in sets of 7. This may suggest that the Final Number of characters in the rosters is some Multiple of 7

With this in mind, I'm going to predict that the Roster is going be around 28 Characters, Which is still really good for a First game in a Fighting Game Series.

-There's still doubt in me for Timmy and Jimmy being in this game due to factors surrounding the Series like the Apparent amount of Royalties needing to be paid to Butch for FOP use, Past Absences in Previous Nick Crossovers despite both Series Pedigree, and also the fact that I Imagine they'd be on the Box art, especially FOP since that Series was probably the biggest Cartoon Series behind Spongebob in the 2000's

However I am going to lean more into Both being in. Both of the series have Legacy and lots of Popularity, Both Timmy and Jimmy both appeared in this Mobile Nickelodeon Pixel Town (thanks to Quick Gaming (QG) Quick Gaming (QG) for mentioning it), and Timmy did appear in the Super Brawl Mobile game

The one thing I will say is I could see them being DLC though, Instead of them being Base Roster characters

-Ludocity had some interesting points in the Interview. One of the things mentioned was that Nickelodeon was the one that approached Ludocity after the success of Slap city, and were the ones that laid out it's Plans for the Platform Fighter, not the other way around.

Nickelodeon also had the Conversation of the game having a Competitive future since the start of Development, and apparently was a reason why Nickelodeon came to Ludocity for development of this game

The Main thing this all tells me is that Nickelodeon seems to be banking more on this game than the usual Kart racers they have commissioned over the years. I think with the Success of Smash Bros, and that the Platformer Fighter Medium really doesn't have too much in the waters besides Smash, I think Nickelodeon does realize that they could get good ground with a Platformer fighter with their I.Ps, especially since they have been making Crossover Fighters on their website and Mobile in the Past with the Super Brawl Series

I think with them not wanting to commit to the idea until they Found a very suitable developer for the Job (which was Ludocity), The Fact that they came to Ludocity shortly after the success of Slap City, the wanting of a Competitive future, the Higher Price tag for the actual game compared to the Kart Racers, tells me 3 things

-Nickelodeon has Very Likely had the idea of doing a Platformer Fighter for a long time, but probably couldn't act on the idea until they had a Dev Team that could make the idea a reality (while still being Quality)

-Nickelodeon likely knew that the game would gain alot of Traction. I'm unsure of as much as it has garnered as of now, but they likely had confidence it would blow up

-Nickelodeon is probably looking to turn this into a Series of Games. This game is most Likely not going to be a One-off, and in the Long term, probably was not planned to be

So I think when going into this game with the Roster, Gameplay, Modes, Content, etc, I don't think Nickelodeon went into this looking to Compete with Smash as a Series, as Smash is way too established to be Competed with at the moment. I think Nickelodeon is looking more Humbly and looking to Establish the Foundation, and they, Ludocity, Fair Play Labs, and Gamemill are working to make the Start to something Truely great in the Future. They know this is their one shot at doing that, Since other Smash Clones in the Past (PSASBR, CN Punch Time Explosion, others), have not kicked off at all. This is Also Probably why they are letting Ludocity mostly do their thing, since they are the ones with experience making the Platformer Fighter

In regards to the Roster and Speculation, a Main point is that "Very Few" of their suggestions were Nixed, and they even had input on the Character selection (which were already Implied by the Discord comments)

The one thing I will say is that when Ludocity said "Very Few" of their suggestions were dropped, it seems to refer to the game as a whole, no just towards the roster. We also don't know how many suggestions would constitute "Very Few"

We Know Alex Mack was suggested, but was dropped, and Fanboy and Chum Chum were dropped also. The Fanboy and Chum Chum Comments also did suggest that if Ludocity had complete control over the Roster, there would be "Some Picks"

Like I said intially, while I do think we can still see Curveballs, I'm not expecting the Roster to go very out there, and there might be very good reasons for why that is. Alex Mack probably would need stuff with Likeness and stuff, which could provide trouble, especially since Alex Mack is a very niche series. Fanboy and Chum Chum being declined might be because the Reception to the series isn't the Best (I say this as Someone that liked the show, but it's understandable they wouldn't want to associate with the Series too much)

In any Case, I think from the Revealed characters and Leaked Boxart characters, Nickelodeon and Gamemill probably already got all the characters they most likely would have priotized the most, or at least the Franchises. Rocko is the Only Franchise recently used that hasn't been seen in Boxart or Revealed Roster, so that will probably get a character

This would mean that the rest of the characters would have been Picks Ludocity would have the most influence over. I think their main Criteria when choosing the Roster has been this

-Fan Popularity (Meme Popularity would go here also)
-The Uniqueness/Moveset potential of the characters

Nigel is definitely an Example of the Former, due to the Meme status of his, and it's also seen that apparently, his moveset seems to be inspired by the Memes also

Oblina is Definitely an Example of the Latter. An example of a character that people would say "How would that work" and Ludocity having fun making it work in a fun way, as that seems to be their motto to development according to a Discord Comment

-The Stage=Roster theory is interesting, but I'm unsure of the Validity of it

The Theory is that Each stage is going to relate to the Amount of characters per Franchise. This could be seen with Spongebob having 3 Stages to go with 3 of it's characters, or with The Loud House having 2 Stages to go with it's 2 Characters

This has been used for certain speculation, like how TMNT coming with 3 Stages suggests that it will get a 3rd character, but it might not be Raph or Donnie since it's weirder to just leave one Turtle out

Like I said it's interesting, but Personally I'm not too sure on it because of the amount of Variables. Wild Thornberries, Hey Arnold, and Rugrats have no stages shown despite having Playable characters revealed. Avatar also had a Stage shown despite no character being officially revealed. Personally it's more likely stages were chosen for varience in the Locals we'd be playing on.

-Personally I don't think we are going to get a Surplus of Playable Villains on the Roster. I think alot of the Villain representation is probably going to be through the Single Player content of the game, as Enemies and Bosses. I think Villains will take more prominence in the Sequel though.

-If not represented as Playable, I could see Some characters/Series represented as Assist characters of Some Kind. If not Apart of Zim's Moveset, Gir might actually be the first look at this actually

Roster Prediction

-There will be around 28 Characters. I'm going to assume that it will actually be 28

-If Ren/Stimpy are Counted Separately, there are 20 characters Revealed/Leaked already. I think the Mystery Girl is Dora, and I do think Ren and Stimpy will be Separate Characters

-Donnie and Raph will be Playable. They are probably going to be similar to the Wolf Situation, in that it's easier to make these 2 because they share assets already with Leo and Mikey, and that if they weren't characters, there be no characters to Replace with

-Rocko is Likely to be Playable

-Jenny XJ9 Is Likely to be Playable

-Timmy and Jimmy I think will be Playable...as DLC, or as a Major Selling point of the 2nd game if DLC is not a thing (though if the Interview is any Indication, I think it will be)

-The Last 4 characters are going to be the More Interesting characters. Characters like Oblina, in that they are from a Franchise that Nick hasn't been paying the Most Attention too, but due to Fan Popularity, or Very Cool/Unique Ideas, will get in

-I think Otis actually as a Good shot at being playable

-Chalkzone seems like the type of series that Ludocity would tap into, despite the series being niche

-Kappa Mikey and Doug are Most Likely not in

-I also have Doubt in Kablam. Really any Franchise that has weird Licensing Rights I think will not be featured in the game as Playable at least, for the time being.

-Shows from the more recent era of Nick I have doubt in being the characters. I'm not Counting Loud House into this since Loud House is a Phenomenon

-Any Live Action Show I have doubt in being represented with Characters

-No Garfield, yet at least

-No Guest Characters

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
One thing I was thinking with the "foot blob" is that it could be Garfield hanging for dear life off of CatDog - that'd explain the reversed foot, make a fun reference to the clingy window toys, and fit with the similarties between Garf and CD. Still can't get him to match up with the silhouette though so I'm not getting my hopes up. Maybe someone better at drawing anatomy (toon anatomy specifically) could have a go.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So, I've been looking at the box art for the longest time, trying to figure out who the heck could be above dog from catdog in the bottom right corner. I've heard people say it's Krumm from Aaah! Real Monsters, but that just doesn't sit right with me. The silhouette seems slightly off for it to be Krumm. Call me crazy, but I'm really tempted to say that that's Angelica from Rugrats. The protruding end could be one of her ponytails and it looks like the ovalness of her head could be made out if you look at it real hard.

Has it been determined what is above the silhouette of which you speak--- that flying foot?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
...especially since Alex Mack is a very niche series.
I've read this and heard this a lot, but I think people seem to have some lack of clarity on it. Alex Mack was quite a successful show, with a lot of Marketing, and four complete seasons with some serious plot compared to most Nick Shows of it's era.
Some say it's either April or live action Dora.
I can't think of any reason they would go with live action Dora. It is less known, would also involve a likeness difficulty, and ... well that is it. It's newer, that's a benefit I suppose. Perhaps that she qualifies as less mature due to being portrayed by an older actor?

Either way, I don't support this. They didn't choose CGI Patrick, or even the new version of the TMNT.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I've seen quite a few people express concern over the lack of songs from the shows but honestly? Nickelodeon Kart Racers 2's OST is pretty solid for the most part. Ba Sing Se, Foodcourtia, Reptar Ruins, Hillwood Rally, Irken Armada, Double Dare Obstacle Course, Big Apple Night Tour, O-Town Highway, The Spirit World, Lost City of Atlantis, Space Madness, Technodrome Takedown and The Ghost Zone are all pretty good original songs, so even if NickBrawl ends up being 100% original songs, I have faith it'll turn out well in that regard

Here's a playlist where you can check some of the songs I mentioned out: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQBB4jGIqkAw6tl9-856pkDdNp2IRRYYl

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've read this and heard this a lot, but I think people seem to have some lack of clarity on it. Alex Mack was quite a successful show, with a lot of Marketing, and four complete seasons with some serious plot compared to most Nick Shows of it's era.

I can't think of any reason they would go with live action Dora. It is less known, would also involve a likeness difficulty, and ... well that is it. It's newer, that's a benefit I suppose. Perhaps that she qualifies as less mature due to being portrayed by an older actor?

Either way, I don't support this. They didn't choose CGI Patrick, or even the new version of the TMNT.
I don't think the actor likeness issue is as big of a deal for Live Action Dora as it is for, say, Josh, Carly, or any of the other sitcom/sketch comedy characters. To use Josh as an example, Josh Nichols being played by Josh Peck is integral to the character. He was a live action character from the get-go, and was made with Josh Peck in mind. There would be no getting around it: if they wanted to add Josh, they'd need to use the likeness of Josh Peck.

Dora isn't the same in this regard. The cartoon came first, and by extension, so too did the basic design. As such, you could incorporate those design elements into a similarly aged up Dora without necessarily using the likeness of her actress from the movie. Think like the Square Enix Avengers game but with an actually good aesthetic.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I'm hoping that with the surprising overwhelming postive reception and that it sells pretty/fairly well "For what it is" that it has Warner Bros/Cartoon Network revisit the idea with a sequel to "Punchtime Explosion" again with their library of classic "Cartoon Cartoons".
Oh man, i can't tell you how much i want that. A Platform Fighter with the Eds, Mordecai and Rigby, Ben 10, Grim, Courage, and Blackhat would be ****ing lit.

The only games that i want to come into reality are a Castlevania 2 re-imagining and a Cartoon Network Platform Fighter that is made with quality. I was BORN in a Cartoon Network household. Sure i loved the likes of Spongebob and Jimmy Neutron, but i was born and raised with shows like Ed Edd N Eddy, Powerpuff Girls, Kids Next Door, Chowder, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and so on. I love the Smash's gameplay, but i kinda miss when Smash was more cartoony and silly of NIntendo characters as the Mario Kart of Fighting Games, as opposed to this epic showdown of everything and everyone and "celebration of gaming" and adding whatever is the most talked about thing or the most unexpected choice.

This is why im so happy of this Nick game having the possibility of beign good, and makes me wish more competent and well-made Platform Fighters, NOT "Smash Clones". This genre needs competition. If you asked me to have Sonic, Bayo and Joker in Smash OR have them in their own Sega Platform Fighter that was as good as All Stars Racing was as an answer towards Mario Kart, i will chose the latter, because it will be more interesting to me in the long run.

What i am saying is that i think it would be more interesting to have different platform fighters that are celebrations of their respective franchises and brands rather than beign turning a franchise into a mish mash of whatever the most popular thing is and making that franchise have a monopoly.

and plase lets get Dan Fornance to make a CN Platform Fighter.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've seen quite a few people express concern over the lack of songs from the shows but honestly? Nickelodeon Kart Racers 2's OST is pretty solid for the most part. Ba Sing Se, Foodcourtia, Reptar Ruins, Hillwood Rally, Irken Armada, Double Dare Obstacle Course, Big Apple Night Tour, O-Town Highway, The Spirit World, Lost City of Atlantis, Space Madness, Technodrome Takedown and The Ghost Zone are all pretty good original songs, so even if NickBrawl ends up being 100% original songs, I have faith it'll turn out well in that regard

Here's a playlist where you can check some of the songs I mentioned out: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQBB4jGIqkAw6tl9-856pkDdNp2IRRYYl
You're confused, people aren't concerned about a lack of songs, but a lack of songs from the shows

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Oh man, i can't tell you how much i want that. A Platform Fighter with the Eds, Mordecai and Rigby, Ben 10, Grim, Courage, and Blackhat would be ****ing lit.

The only games that i want to come into reality are a Castlevania 2 re-imagining and a Cartoon Network Platform Fighter that is made with quality. I was BORN in a Cartoon Network household. Sure i loved the likes of Spongebob and Jimmy Neutron, but i was born and raised with shows like Ed Edd N Eddy, Powerpuff Girls, Kids Next Door, Chowder, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and so on. I love the Smash's gameplay, but i kinda miss when Smash was more cartoony and silly of NIntendo characters as the Mario Kart of Fighting Games, as opposed to this epic showdown of everything and everyone and "celebration of gaming" and adding whatever is the most talked about thing or the most unexpected choice.

This is why im so happy of this Nick game having the possibility of beign good, and makes me wish more competent and well-made Platform Fighters, NOT "Smash Clones". This genre needs competition. If you asked me to have Sonic, Bayo and Joker in Smash OR have them in their own Sega Platform Fighter that was as good as All Stars Racing was as an answer towards Mario Kart, i will chose the latter, because it will be more interesting to me in the long run.

What i am saying is that i think it would be more interesting to have different platform fighters that are celebrations of their respective franchises and brands rather than beign turning a franchise into a mish mash of whatever the most popular thing is and making that franchise have a monopoly.

Hot take: I think Nick was a better choice than CN for the platform fighter treatment - and the reason why is because of the opposite extremes in how both entities treat their new and legacy animated IPs. Nick want all or nothing - it has to pass the SpongeBob test or it'll be gone in a flash and they'll be back to printing Ren & Stimpy T-shirts the next day. CN push and push for their new shows to be the next big thing, even if it gets in the way of preserving and reintroducing their classics.

Both approaches are equal when it comes to downsides and upsides (mostly the prior) in different areas, but in the case of a crossover platform fighter Nick's approach is the better one. Massive crossovers like this should be to some extent about celebrating history, and celebrating history just doesn't seem to be something CN wants to do right now unfortunately. I'd love to see Courage duke it out with Finn & Jake, and in an ideal world we'd get that (or even a Cartoon Network + Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl), but in this world and time period it seems more likely than not CN would stick exclusively to the ashes that rose from the CNReal phoenix outside of one or two "treats for the die-hard fans".

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So With some of the Revelations in the Thread, I revised some of my Predictions for the Game. Roster Prediction below

-What seemed to be Donnie in the background seems to be Mondo Gecko instead, which removes huge evidence of the suggestion that TMNT might not have all 4 Turtles

Even when suggesting the idea, I did think it was really weird, since I don't think there's a source of media where it's not all 4 Turtles, even when it came at the cost of rosters that tended to be really Small (The Recent Kart Racer one had all 4 Turtles despite the roster being really small)

I do now think that all 4 TMNT will be Playable in some capacity. It's probably also a good reason why they went with the 87 Designs, since the Turtles in these designs are the Same Model, with the differences being the Headband and Weapons

-The Roster on the Website seems to be listed in sets of 7. This may suggest that the Final Number of characters in the rosters is some Multiple of 7

With this in mind, I'm going to predict that the Roster is going be around 28 Characters, Which is still really good for a First game in a Fighting Game Series.

-There's still doubt in me for Timmy and Jimmy being in this game due to factors surrounding the Series like the Apparent amount of Royalties needing to be paid to Butch for FOP use, Past Absences in Previous Nick Crossovers despite both Series Pedigree, and also the fact that I Imagine they'd be on the Box art, especially FOP since that Series was probably the biggest Cartoon Series behind Spongebob in the 2000's

However I am going to lean more into Both being in. Both of the series have Legacy and lots of Popularity, Both Timmy and Jimmy both appeared in this Mobile Nickelodeon Pixel Town (thanks to Quick Gaming (QG) Quick Gaming (QG) for mentioning it), and Timmy did appear in the Super Brawl Mobile game

The one thing I will say is I could see them being DLC though, Instead of them being Base Roster characters

-Ludocity had some interesting points in the Interview. One of the things mentioned was that Nickelodeon was the one that approached Ludocity after the success of Slap city, and were the ones that laid out it's Plans for the Platform Fighter, not the other way around.

Nickelodeon also had the Conversation of the game having a Competitive future since the start of Development, and apparently was a reason why Nickelodeon came to Ludocity for development of this game

The Main thing this all tells me is that Nickelodeon seems to be banking more on this game than the usual Kart racers they have commissioned over the years. I think with the Success of Smash Bros, and that the Platformer Fighter Medium really doesn't have too much in the waters besides Smash, I think Nickelodeon does realize that they could get good ground with a Platformer fighter with their I.Ps, especially since they have been making Crossover Fighters on their website and Mobile in the Past with the Super Brawl Series

I think with them not wanting to commit to the idea until they Found a very suitable developer for the Job (which was Ludocity), The Fact that they came to Ludocity shortly after the success of Slap City, the wanting of a Competitive future, the Higher Price tag for the actual game compared to the Kart Racers, tells me 3 things

-Nickelodeon has Very Likely had the idea of doing a Platformer Fighter for a long time, but probably couldn't act on the idea until they had a Dev Team that could make the idea a reality (while still being Quality)

-Nickelodeon likely knew that the game would gain alot of Traction. I'm unsure of as much as it has garnered as of now, but they likely had confidence it would blow up

-Nickelodeon is probably looking to turn this into a Series of Games. This game is most Likely not going to be a One-off, and in the Long term, probably was not planned to be

So I think when going into this game with the Roster, Gameplay, Modes, Content, etc, I don't think Nickelodeon went into this looking to Compete with Smash as a Series, as Smash is way too established to be Competed with at the moment. I think Nickelodeon is looking more Humbly and looking to Establish the Foundation, and they, Ludocity, Fair Play Labs, and Gamemill are working to make the Start to something Truely great in the Future. They know this is their one shot at doing that, Since other Smash Clones in the Past (PSASBR, CN Punch Time Explosion, others), have not kicked off at all. This is Also Probably why they are letting Ludocity mostly do their thing, since they are the ones with experience making the Platformer Fighter

In regards to the Roster and Speculation, a Main point is that "Very Few" of their suggestions were Nixed, and they even had input on the Character selection (which were already Implied by the Discord comments)

The one thing I will say is that when Ludocity said "Very Few" of their suggestions were dropped, it seems to refer to the game as a whole, no just towards the roster. We also don't know how many suggestions would constitute "Very Few"

We Know Alex Mack was suggested, but was dropped, and Fanboy and Chum Chum were dropped also. The Fanboy and Chum Chum Comments also did suggest that if Ludocity had complete control over the Roster, there would be "Some Picks"

Like I said intially, while I do think we can still see Curveballs, I'm not expecting the Roster to go very out there, and there might be very good reasons for why that is. Alex Mack probably would need stuff with Likeness and stuff, which could provide trouble, especially since Alex Mack is a very niche series. Fanboy and Chum Chum being declined might be because the Reception to the series isn't the Best (I say this as Someone that liked the show, but it's understandable they wouldn't want to associate with the Series too much)

In any Case, I think from the Revealed characters and Leaked Boxart characters, Nickelodeon and Gamemill probably already got all the characters they most likely would have priotized the most, or at least the Franchises. Rocko is the Only Franchise recently used that hasn't been seen in Boxart or Revealed Roster, so that will probably get a character

This would mean that the rest of the characters would have been Picks Ludocity would have the most influence over. I think their main Criteria when choosing the Roster has been this

-Fan Popularity (Meme Popularity would go here also)
-The Uniqueness/Moveset potential of the characters

Nigel is definitely an Example of the Former, due to the Meme status of his, and it's also seen that apparently, his moveset seems to be inspired by the Memes also

Oblina is Definitely an Example of the Latter. An example of a character that people would say "How would that work" and Ludocity having fun making it work in a fun way, as that seems to be their motto to development according to a Discord Comment

-The Stage=Roster theory is interesting, but I'm unsure of the Validity of it

The Theory is that Each stage is going to relate to the Amount of characters per Franchise. This could be seen with Spongebob having 3 Stages to go with 3 of it's characters, or with The Loud House having 2 Stages to go with it's 2 Characters

This has been used for certain speculation, like how TMNT coming with 3 Stages suggests that it will get a 3rd character, but it might not be Raph or Donnie since it's weirder to just leave one Turtle out

Like I said it's interesting, but Personally I'm not too sure on it because of the amount of Variables. Wild Thornberries, Hey Arnold, and Rugrats have no stages shown despite having Playable characters revealed. Avatar also had a Stage shown despite no character being officially revealed. Personally it's more likely stages were chosen for varience in the Locals we'd be playing on.

-Personally I don't think we are going to get a Surplus of Playable Villains on the Roster. I think alot of the Villain representation is probably going to be through the Single Player content of the game, as Enemies and Bosses. I think Villains will take more prominence in the Sequel though.

-If not represented as Playable, I could see Some characters/Series represented as Assist characters of Some Kind. If not Apart of Zim's Moveset, Gir might actually be the first look at this actually

Roster Prediction

-There will be around 28 Characters. I'm going to assume that it will actually be 28

-If Ren/Stimpy are Counted Separately, there are 20 characters Revealed/Leaked already. I think the Mystery Girl is Dora, and I do think Ren and Stimpy will be Separate Characters

-Donnie and Raph will be Playable. They are probably going to be similar to the Wolf Situation, in that it's easier to make these 2 because they share assets already with Leo and Mikey, and that if they weren't characters, there be no characters to Replace with

-Rocko is Likely to be Playable

-Jenny XJ9 Is Likely to be Playable

-Timmy and Jimmy I think will be Playable...as DLC, or as a Major Selling point of the 2nd game if DLC is not a thing (though if the Interview is any Indication, I think it will be)

-The Last 4 characters are going to be the More Interesting characters. Characters like Oblina, in that they are from a Franchise that Nick hasn't been paying the Most Attention too, but due to Fan Popularity, or Very Cool/Unique Ideas, will get in

-I think Otis actually as a Good shot at being playable

-Chalkzone seems like the type of series that Ludocity would tap into, despite the series being niche

-Kappa Mikey and Doug are Most Likely not in

-I also have Doubt in Kablam. Really any Franchise that has weird Licensing Rights I think will not be featured in the game as Playable at least, for the time being.

-Shows from the more recent era of Nick I have doubt in being the characters. I'm not Counting Loud House into this since Loud House is a Phenomenon

-Any Live Action Show I have doubt in being represented with Characters

-No Garfield, yet at least

-No Guest Characters
I agree with most of this, but honestly I don't think Otis have serious chance. The only thing going for him is the fact that he's a meme, but he's not as popular as Nigel Thornberry or Hugh Neutron. Beside, if your theory about Fanboy ans ChumChum being rejected for the mixed reception is true, I don't see Nick accepting Otis because the movie had a really bad reception at it's release.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Hot take: I think Nick was a better choice than CN for the platform fighter treatment - and the reason why is because of the opposite extremes in how both entities treat their new and legacy animated IPs. Nick want all or nothing - it has to pass the SpongeBob test or it'll be gone in a flash and they'll be back to printing Ren & Stimpy T-shirts the next day. CN push and push for their new shows to be the next big thing, even if it gets in the way of preserving and reintroducing their classics.

Both approaches are equal when it comes to downsides and upsides (mostly the prior) in different areas, but in the case of a crossover platform fighter Nick's approach is the better one. Massive crossovers like this should be to some extent about celebrating history, and celebrating history just doesn't seem to be something CN wants to do right now unfortunately. I'd love to see Courage duke it out with Finn & Jake, and in an ideal world we'd get that (or even a Cartoon Network + Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl), but in this world and time period it seems more likely than not CN would stick exclusively to the ashes that rose from the CNReal phoenix outside of one or two "treats for the die-hard fans".
Pretty much. Nick cares more about its past than CN does, and it shows by this massively nostalgia-oriented roster. There's only one 2010s Nicktoon on the roster right now, and that's the Loud House. Although it's implied that the Legend of Korra is also getting a character, although that show is a sequel series to the earlier Avatar: The Last Airbender series and not it's own new Nicktoon.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
[
Apparantly Lucy's the most technical character in the game so far and she has multiple potential recoveries including a teleport, indicating she can ****ing mix you like nothing else, we also see Lincoln use both a yoyo and a sword or something similar with Spongebob using Imagination as a common swordie anti air smash attack, I think the non fighter aspects of those characters aren't the reason you don't find them fun, they just don't jive with you, which tbf is completely fine
Interesting stuff with Lucy. Can she actually do that in the show or are they making stuff up to make for better fighters?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
[

Interesting stuff with Lucy. Can she actually do that in the show or are they making stuff up to make for better fighters?
A little research tells me she's goth and it's ambiguous if her magic seances are real or not

Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion had a bunch of characters who hadn't been on TV for years when it came out to the point Ben 10 was the only franchise still getting new episodes so I highly doubt that
that's what I said though? "I've seen a few people express concerns over the lack of songs from the shows"
Ah my bad, misread that

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion had a bunch of characters who hadn't been on TV for years when it came out to the point Ben 10 was the only franchise still getting new episodes so I highly doubt that
That was in the early 2010s - I'm going off more recent CN video games, Battle Crashers and Kleptocats specifically.

HARBlNGER

Smash Apprentice
Since I've asked Sakurai a thousand times to add Break The Targets to Ultimate.
Stage Builder fixes this issue believe it or not. I've had a few Break the Targets stages that people made from Smash 64 and Melee for a while now and they're pretty dang spot on to the source material. Of course, instead of real targets they're replaced with explosive boxes but you can make them function the same way as targets would.

So not only does Stage Builder allow you to re-create Target stages from past games but you can make your own with a selection of music, stage backgrounds, and stage sizes to choose from. I'd say it's a good compromise from not having an official Break the Targets mode.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That was in the early 2010s - I'm going off more recent CN video games, Battle Crashers and Kleptocats specifically.
Doing some quick googling shows the former only had 6 characters and the latter being a mobile pet sim, I hardly think it's fair to use these to claim what the direction would be for another fighting game

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Doing some quick googling shows the former only had 6 characters and the latter being a mobile pet sim, I hardly think it's fair to use these to claim what the direction would be for another fighting game
That's a decent point - but there's also the matter of distribution: some of CN's most iconic and beloved shows were really hard to get ahold of legally prior to HBO Max, and some lesser known shows - such as Robot Jones and Megas XLR - are still rotting in the vault, while most of the "canon" Nicktoons have been avaliable on Amazon for ages now, and even the "disgraces" like Planet Sheen and shows they tried to sweep under the rug like Harvey Beaks have made it to Paramount+. Nick are likely more lineant with their IPs than CN. This isn't Crossover Nexus, in that the obscure and old characters were basically damsels in distress - plot relevant cameos if anything. In this they're fully playable with unique movesets each.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
and some lesser known shows - such as Robot Jones and Megas XLR - are still rotting in the vault,
Robot-themed cartoons on CN have always had really bad luck for some reason, I dunno what's up with that

-Robot Jones had the whole deal with the replacement voice and just generally got kinda screwed over

-Megas XLR and Sym-Bionic Titan were both written off as tax losses, meaning they legally couldn't be aired anymore and thus sending both shows into the hellpits of legal mumbo jumbo for quite some time - and the latter got cancelled just cause they couldn't give it a ****ing toyline

-Robotomy lasted for a really short period of time and nowadays is probably one of the most obscure CN shows

Dunno why this is a thing, but it is

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Robot-themed cartoons on CN have always had really bad luck for some reason, I dunno what's up with that

-Robot Jones had the whole deal with the replacement voice and just generally got kinda screwed over

-Megas XLR and Sym-Bionic Titan were both written off as tax losses, meaning they legally couldn't be aired anymore and thus sending both shows into the hellpits of legal mumbo jumbo for quite some time - and the latter got cancelled just cause they couldn't give it a ****ing toyline

-Robotomy lasted for a really short period of time and nowadays is probably one of the most obscure CN shows

Dunno why this is a thing, but it is
Was Robotomy the one that starred what looked like a Jenny Wakeman Funko pop or is that a different show?

IzukuXYang4Life

Banned via Warnings
Stage Builder fixes this issue believe it or not. I've had a few Break the Targets stages that people made from Smash 64 and Melee for a while now and they're pretty dang spot on to the source material. Of course, instead of real targets they're replaced with explosive boxes but you can make them function the same way as targets would.

So not only does Stage Builder allow you to re-create Target stages from past games but you can make your own with a selection of music, stage backgrounds, and stage sizes to choose from. I'd say it's a good compromise from not having an official Break the Targets mode.
But that's all that is really.

Just Stage Builder disguised as Break The Targets.

Which is the same as saying I wanted a new car but instead got a Power Wheels toy car for little kids.

I wanted the real break the targets in the game.

Along with other modes that were absent that Stage Builder can't give you-

I wanted Smash Run back, I wanted A Boss Rush Mode that doesn't require you playing World Of Light over and over again and again.

I wanted Race To The Finish as it's own separate mode from Classic Mode.

I wanted Board The Platforms.

You think for a game that would bring everything back.

They would also bring back all the old single player content in the game.

That's like making an Ultimate Version of Mortal Kombat.

And making absolutely sure of it to bring back everyone like Reptile, Smoke and Havik.

But having everything else that made the old MK games awesome left out of the game for no reason.

Other than to give the impression that this for hardcore Esport players who just don't like having fun with a game.

And that's all I want from Nick All Stars Brawl.

A fun game I can play with friends that has plenty of stuff for me to do in my alone time that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Why can't people just have fun with fighting games rather than use them to be at other peoples throats while being so high and mighty about their gamer superioity in the process?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Other than to give the impression that this for hardcore Esport players who just don't like having fun with a game.
Really? The "competitive players hate fun" mentality? There's more than one way to have fun with a game - take for example Tetris - just as fun for a 2 minute piss as it is for a serious competitive tournament.

Single player options in multiplayer games are bonus content and vice versa. We're lucky to have them in the first place. If you like playing alone and aren't statisfied by Online or playing vs. CPU at no end, find a different game.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

If we assume that Live Action Dora is in the game, I think the main reason they’d have to go with her over the cartoon version would be that the devs really wanted Dora in, but Nick said no to Nick Jr. characters in general, so using the live action version would be a loophole to get around that restriction.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
If we assume that Live Action Dora is in the game, I think the main reason they’d have to go with her over the cartoon version would be that the devs really wanted Dora in, but Nick said no to Nick Jr. characters in general, so using the live action version would be a loophole to get around that restriction.
I think it's possible they could use live action Dora with animated Dora's face as a way to get around royalties and any potential controversy the actress may see in the future. It wouldn't look too uncanny since Dora is a bit higher on the realism scale - in fact she'd likely look better than if they used the actress' face.

I just hope that, if she's in, she still uses the cursor, map, backpack, e.t.c. as opposed to taking only from the movie.

Last edited:

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
I just hope that, if she's in, she still uses the cursor, map, backpack, e.t.c. as opposed to taking only from the movie.
I agree. I always pictured Dora's final smash as her looking at the screen, asking the audience "Do you see where the opponents are?" and then you control the arrow cursor and "click" on the opponents, dealing damage and knocking them off the screen.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I agree. I always pictured Dora's final smash as her looking at the screen, asking the audience "Do you see where the opponents are?" and then you control the arrow cursor and "click" on the opponents, dealing damage and knocking them off the screen.
I will absolutely main Dora if she gets in

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I'm imaging Lincoln Loud's head being too big that it has its own hitbox.
(The loud house characters have kind of large heads)
Had a little laugh about his head being big like a balloon that's gonna float away

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

As someone who grew up in the "Late 90's-Early 2000's" Both Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network were a big part of my childhood, But if I had to be honest, I was a bigger fan of CN's "Overall" output "VS" Nickelodeon's

Don't get me wrong as much as I love Spongebob (Who doesn't?) and still watch reruns to this day on "Nicktoons" , I feel like Nick's output was more "Top Heavy" and was mostly hit or 'kind of miss" with me, My "Top 3" favorite all time Nicktoons are "Spongebob", "Rocko's Modern Life" and "CatDog" sure I did watched stuff like "Doug" and "Hey Arnold !" and while I did enjoy them, I always heavily preferred more "Overly Cartoony/Slapstick cartoons" like the ones previously mentioned above and including "Ren & Stimpy" and "Angry Beavers", compared to more "Contemporary" shows "Rugrats", "Thornberrys", "Rocket Power" that I didn't really care for with the only exceptions being "Hey Arnold !" and "Doug" and even though I do have some memories of watching Nickelodeon's "Live Action" stuff like "All That" and "The Kenan and Kel show", I always heavily preferred watching "Cartoons", While early 2000's Nickelodeon shows like "Fairly Odd Parents", "My Life as a Teenage Robot" and "Danny Phantom" were solid shows, I didn't get into them as much as 90's Nickelodeon and this is gonna be a hot take and I'm probably gonna get some backlash for saying this, But I never liked and always hated "Jimmy Neutron" and personally never really saw the appeal in it, The 3D artstyle always really felt out of place, Jarring and polarizing to me compared to other Nicktoons and just cartoons in general and it always felt kind of "Lame" or "Corny" to me, But I don't really remember much beyond Early 2000-Mid 2000's Nickelodeon as I was investing more of my TV time to Cartoon Network.

Something about Cartoon Network's output almost always landed very well with with me, Not to mention that they had "Looney Tunes" and "Tom & Jerry" which are some of my earliest memories of watching cartoons when I was around 3 before CN started really doing original programing, Not to mention that they used to be a "24 hour cartoon channel" too, I pretty much absolutely loved almost their entire very first era of original cartoon shows (Cartoon Cartoons) (1996-2003) and personally I love the comradery and cohesion that the cartoons had and interacted with during the promos/bumpers especially during "Cartoon Cartoon Fridays", I just really love the tone and atmosphere they provided for the overall feel of "Cartoon Network" during that era, I think CN did a way better job with this than Nickelodeon in my opinion.

Damn this intro really takes me back, Good Times.

Mid-2000's intro was still pretty cool too.

Late 90's - Early 2000's

• Powerpuff Girls
  • Dexter's Laboratory
  • Johnny Bravo
  • Cow & Chicken
  • Courage the Cowardly Dog
  • Ed, Edd n Eddy
  • Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

Mid 2000's

• Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
  • Camp Lazlo

Even after their "2004 Rebrand" I enjoyed "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" and "Camp Lazlo" during the Mid-2000's which always felt like "Honorary Cartoon Cartoons" to me despite that branding being discontinued in 2003 and end of an era for me as they were actually the last 2 shows CN shows of my "Childhood" as it felt like a turning point as I was already becoming a teenager and then they went into that crappy "2007 rebrand" where most of the original "Cartoon Cartoons" have already ended and "Ed Edd n Eddy", "Grim Adventures" and "Fosters" were the last 3 remaining cartoons from "My Era" still left standing, But were starting coming to an end, After the late 2000's it felt like all my childhood favorites weren't the "Face" of Cartoon Network anymore as they were retired and a new generation of cartoons were coming in their place.

But one thing I will say that Nickelodeon does a better job paying homage to their 90's and early 2000's legacy content compared to Cartoon Network, You see it on merchandise like clothing more for example and they have a dedicated block on "TeenNick" late at night specifically for classic 90's-Early 2000's Nicktoons, While Cartoon Network does have "Boomerang" which used to be for stuff before a lot of our time like "Looney Tunes" and "Hanna-Barbera Cartoons" like "Tom & Jerry"(Still is), For a while they tried to make it into a "CN 2" channel, But have backpedaled on that more recently and started trickling more 90's-2000's shows again recently, But not to the extent of Nickelodeon.

I had a lot to say, But that's just my view and history regarding the 2 biggest channels of my childhood.

Last edited:
Top Bottom