• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Are you a Garfield minus Garfield fan?
I love garfield minus garfield. It takes something with essentially zero artistic/comedic aspirations or merit, and transforms it into something genuinely funny and interesting. It actually artistically justifies the existence of art as otherwise pointless and vacuous as garfield comics.

amageish

Smash Master
You know what? Nevermind. It was dumb.
Okay, you seem to have edited your post to not acknowledge the thing you were talking about while as I was writing this reply, but I'll say this: Remember when GameStop hired a cosplayer to do a Smash discussion and that person said Geno was playable in Smash? Yeah, I think this is that. People being hired to discuss something doesn't mean they will fact-check their knowledge of said thing.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Okay, you seem to have edited your post to not acknowledge the thing you were talking about while as I was writing this reply, but I'll say this: Remember when GameStop hired a cosplayer to do a Smash discussion and that person said Geno was playable in Smash? Yeah, I think this is that. People being hired to discuss something doesn't mean they will fact-check their knowledge of said thing.
Yeah, that's why I edited the whole comment out; I quickly realized it was a dumb idea, especially since last I checked Disney still owns the rights to Doug and if there wasn't enough of a budget for voice-acting, there definitely wouldn't have been money to afford Doug in the game, not to mention the rather faulty logic in thinking that any of the companies involved in the development of this game would share the identities of the two post-launch characters with these people when they're technically only supposed to be talking about Aang and Korra.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I love garfield minus garfield. It takes something with essentially zero artistic/comedic aspirations or merit, and transforms it into something genuinely funny and interesting. It actually artistically justifies the existence of art as otherwise pointless and vacuous as garfield comics.
i just think the orange cat is funny sometimes dude

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That is a lot of prize money.

I bet everyone is going to go top tiers not because they want to but because they have to.
It's at launch, how the hell are you gonna be able to tell who's top tier, let alone get enough practise?

I love memes but the weird off-model faces should only be a Ren thing
Call me crazy but early ATLA having ****ing weird faces was something that felt distinct to me so I think it fits

LimeTH

Smash Lord
i just think the orange cat is funny sometimes dude
I genuinely like Garfield as a character when he's a more active troublemaker with Snoopyesque flights of fancy rather than a anemic piece of set dressing for Jon to take his frustrations out on. I hope the new Nick show skews more towards the former than the latter because the past several decades of "Garfield sits there, drinks coffee, absorbs insults and gets one line" have been brutal.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I genuinely like Garfield as a character when he's a more active troublemaker with Snoopyesque flights of fancy rather than a anemic piece of set dressing for Jon to take his frustrations out on. I hope the new Nick show skews more towards the former than the latter because the past several decades of "Garfield sits there, drinks coffee, absorbs insults and gets one line" have been brutal.
Something like the Garfield Show?

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I am in love with how seriously Nick is taking this "We want to have a SpongeBob eSport" thing, even if they aren't taking it seriously enough to give the game a great budget before launch.
because they know we'll buy it if they have a competent dev team behind it. Nick's cool for doing this but let's not forget they're still the big corporation (or at least Viacom is)

I am in love with how seriously Nick is taking this "We want to have a SpongeBob eSport" thing, even if they aren't taking it seriously enough to give the game a great budget before launch.
Nick is kicking themselves after seeing how successful it was received and it shows. Them running tourneys and the devs scrambling for announcements speaks volumes. The fact that it went from "DLC chars are in talks..." to "DLC and lots of post launch support is confirmed baby!!!" Is proof that NASB has a serious future now. Nick loves money and attention after all.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Nick is kicking themselves after seeing how successful it was received and it shows. Them running tourneys and the devs scrambling for announcements speaks volumes. The fact that it went from "DLC chars are in talks..." to "DLC and lots of post launch support is confirmed baby!!!" Is proof that NASB has a serious future now. Nick loves money and attention after all.
This game was obviously intended to be a cheap cash grab at first, but now that there are people genuinely excited for it and making all sorts of plans for tournaments and competitive scenes and stuff, Nick realized they got somethin' good on their hands.

I fully expect a Battle for the Grid-type situation, where the game's decent but ultimately lackluster on launch, but becomes something hella good a year or so later.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
This game was obviously intended to be a cheap cash grab at first, but now that there are people genuinely excited for it and making all sorts of plans for tournaments and competitive scenes and stuff, Nick realized they got somethin' good on their hands.

I fully expect a Battle for the Grid-type situation, where the game's decent but ultimately lackluster on launch, but becomes something hella good a year or so later.
Apparently Nick always wanted it to be an esport. Dunno why they'd give Ludosity a small budget if that's the case. And yes, I too hope we have another BftG on our hands.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
For the record, I liked Garfield & Friends and the animated specials.

Edit:
Screwed by the Lawyers: Most of the popular and in-demand franchises not seen in the base game, such as The Fairly OddParents, Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, My Life as a Teenage Robot, Tak and the Power of Juju, and T.U.F.F. Puppy, have joint ownership between Viacom and other companies, making them more expensive and time-consuming to procure and certainly beyond this game's budget to pull off. This also goes for the music for existing franchises in this game, as they require additional rights from the series' composers. This is particularly problematic with music from Rugrats, as they were composed by the Mothersbaugh Brothers of DEVO, an iconic name in music whose rights Ludosity would have no means to afford.
At this rate we won't be anywhere close to seeing most of those until season 4 (if we even get that far/much). Curious to see what Ludosity will go with for DLC until then.

That's almost as ridiculous a concept as us getting the Live Action version of Dora the Explorer. I mean, nobody would actually think we would get that, right?
Well, about that...:ultwario::4wario2::warioc:

You think that's high art, just wait until you see Square Root of Minus Garfield. The users for that put all sorts of various spins on existing strips, and it's practically dadaist. 👨‍🎨🎨

Just about everyone does, really. Hopefully this includes voices like for that game as well, especially seeing as lip-syncing isn't much of an issue here.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Can anyone get on the nick brawl site? It redirects me to ign for some reason. :/

Edit: Should've guessed. Toph will probably show up on ign in the next hours sometime.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
View attachment 332516
View attachment 332515

now that's an interesting one. Emphasis on might but still interesting nonetheless

Edit:

made an offhanded comment about a potential Smash Ballot-esque ballot being interesting

View attachment 332517
Honestly, good. We do NOT need a Smash Ballot 2 situation on our hands here. The devs are already way more in-touch with the community than someone like Nintendo is, so I'd argue it's completely unnecessary and would only lead to undue salt.
As for the DLC comment, I'm curious what they could add other than characters and stages. Modes are the main thing to come to mind, but that could be anything. Break the Targets? Race to the Finish? Adventure Mode?

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
https://nickelodeonallstarbrawl.com

Hey um, is anyone else being directed to the IGN site when they try to access the Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl site?

EDIT:
Can anyone get on the nick brawl site? It redirects me to ign for some reason. :/

Edit: Should've guessed. Toph will probably show up on ign in the next hours sometime.
ahhh, that is probably it

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Apparently Nick always wanted it to be an esport. Dunno why they'd give Ludosity a small budget if that's the case. And yes, I too hope we have another BftG on our hands.
in my opinion, its the usual Nick modus operandi (easy to see with the way they handle their cartoons). They want something but they didnt want to take a risk. The moment this exploded, Nick had to change their tune and fast.

View attachment 332516
View attachment 332515

now that's an interesting one. Emphasis on might but still interesting nonetheless

Edit:

made an offhanded comment about a potential Smash Ballot-esque ballot being interesting

View attachment 332517
I understand. Some pretty bad behavior has come of the perceived reception of the characters within the ballot. Even now, I know of some people who stomp people´s opinion using the ballot.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
1633192196335.png

so this apparently got unearthed regarding the "shoes" in that render line-up leak (Fun Fact: The guy who leaked it is still an active member of the Discord lol, but he's not taking any questions regarding the marked out characters)

My guesses then are:
  • Shredder's claws
  • Jenny's feet (they're not technically shoes so I think it counts)
  • The Reptar Wagon's wheels
  • Lasagna Trays

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, good. We do NOT need a Smash Ballot 2 situation on our hands here. The devs are already way more in-touch with the community than someone like Nintendo is, so I'd argue it's completely unnecessary and would only lead to undue salt.
As for the DLC comment, I'm curious what they could add other than characters and stages. Modes are the main thing to come to mind, but that could be anything. Break the Targets? Race to the Finish? Adventure Mode?
Whether there's a ballot or not, the demand in Discord is already a mess. We're still in a Jimmy/Timmy/Jenny/Rocko Vs. Everything Else feud right now. Only slightly less toxic.

The only differences is that the companies behind this game can all actually speak in English and there's only one animation company to focus on as opposed to the wide spectrum of an entire medium.

Otherwise, the only metric we have (if it's even reliable at all) for character demand now is whichever character gets asked about the most often, and we don't know who Ludosity already has in mind to start with.

Checking around 1 PM EST seems logical, if IGN isn't being too ignorant.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Edit:

At this rate we won't be anywhere close to seeing most of those until season 4 (if we even get that far/much). Curious to see what Ludosity will go with for DLC until then.
...Wait, I'm confused. Was this officially confirmed by one of the devs, or did someone from Tvtropes put this up out of an assumption? Especially since wasn't it stated somewhere earlier in the thread that Nick owned "My Life as a Teenage Robot"?

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Very interesting. Amazing strongs.

Animations felt stiff to me though. And I am more an aerial fighter so I wonder where I'll place her for me.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Lets talk about Toph! First of all, we got it!
When it comes to Toph, I have only one wish. Please in either the taunt or victory pose reference this:
Toph is this game´s Little Mac. Those aerials look bad but her abilities on the ground look asolutely amazing and cover a lot of ground. That platform that can be set is absolutely amazing and a necessity if she wants to have a fighting chance getting back. She moves pretty fast all things considered so I am grateful from what I see. She is even starting to sound like main material to me. As for the stage, Omashu is way too big. I am not sure how I feel about that. All in all, our blind bandit is looking good.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Alright, we finally got Toph, the last base-game character!

And you know what? She looks pretty fun! I like how she's kind of the Little Mac of this game (being very proficient on the ground, but having weak air attacks), which honestly fits her being both an Earthbender and blind without said skill. I also liked how her Specials look, ESPECIALLY that rock platform she can create in midair with her Down Special; that looks like something that I don't think Smash did (the closest I can think of is Steve, but this feels better), and it could be really fun to mess around with! I guess if I had one nitpick about her, it would be that her animations seemed a bit...stiff to me, but hopefully that can be cleared up a bit in the day-one patch. Otherwise, I honestly think she has potential to at least be a secondary for me.

As for Omashu, it's another very large stage, so I don't think I'll be playing on it much outside of free-for-alls. The music's decent, though. Also, I feel like if Rep were doing this showcase, he totally would've referenced "the line" from the Cabbage Merchant.

Also also, do we know if Korra's getting a reveal trailer? Because nothing's coming up as far as I can tell, and as much as I don't think those were put together that well, it'd still be a bit weird that she's the one character who doesn't get one.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Well, there's that platform move I was talking about. Surprisingly not her Up Special, though.
I'm not really digging Toph's archetype too much, but I also wasn't expecting to, so no change there. Her strong attacks look Sylvanos-tier, and her aerials don't even look bad to dispute the Little Mac comparison people are already making. (At least, her light aerials don't; her strong aerials kind of look like a joke, but she can also just use her grounded strongs in the air by making a platform.) If anything, I just hope she won't be too obnoxious to fight online. Those strong attack hitboxes might be a little too easy to abuse.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well, there's that platform move I was talking about. Surprisingly not her Up Special, though.
I'm not really digging Toph's archetype too much, but I also wasn't expecting to, so no change there. Her strong attacks look Sylvanos-tier, and her aerials don't even look bad to dispute the Little Mac comparison people are already making. (At least, her light aerials don't; her strong aerials look like a joke.) If anything, I just hope she won't be too obnoxious to fight online. Those strong attack hitboxes might be a little easy to abuse.
The RPS system still applies so if anything, it should still be counterable meaning Toph can get pressured hard. I think they were made massive so she wouldn't be too stubby

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
The RPS system still applies so if anything, it should still be counterable meaning Toph can get pressured hard. I think they were made massive so she wouldn't be too stubby
That's true. I wonder if that applies if you hit the other player's strong attack hitbox with yours, or only if you hit them directly with the strong attack. With how large and remote Toph's strong attack hitboxes are, the whole RPS thing might not even matter if it's the latter.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
...So I went to the Gamemill Youtube channel and I noticed something a bit odd: it states that the All-Star Brawl playlist was updated today...even though the two remaining private videos are still there from at least yesterday, and there hasn't been any other privated videos added, so I'm wondering why it's claiming that it was updated today? That's a bit weird.

Top Bottom