• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I know this is a controversial take, but while I appreciate his enthusiasm Rep's shouting is getting really ear-grating now.
His voice direction is genuinely abysmal. Good dude, just uh, not the best voiceover guy lol. I don't think Aerial Scorpion Sting needs as much emphasis as the FALCONNNNN dive joke (which was a good joke on that note).

That said, Nigel's moveset breakdown is really fun! His moveset is a blast. Tragically though neither his taunt nor his victory animation has him do This With His Hands, but the stage looks amazing!

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Very happy to finally see Nigel in action! Definitely looking forward to trying him out and potentially maining him.

Also I really like that they offset the fact that he's a bit slow and a heavyweight by giving him a really good mobility option in The Worm. That's something Smash has continually failed to do for its heavies outside of like, Wario, so it's very nice to see.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Alright, Nigel's up next!

And I love the concept of his moveset being him imitating different animals; that's really unique! A lot of his attacks are suitably goofy, and I thought his Specials were interesting, particularly his Neutral Special and how it's basically an actual dodge move (which as far as I can tell isn't a thing in this game), and his Down Special kind of reminds me of Jigglypuff's Down Special but as an actual kill-move (hopefully, it's better than that garbage move, Rest). Overall, he looks like fun!

The stage looks decent, and like with the Loud House, might work better with a free-for-all. The music was just alright, though.

I know this is a controversial take, but while I appreciate his enthusiasm Rep's shouting is getting really ear-grating now.
I'd still rather take Rep's energy than the no-energy college-style lecture that the Fair Play Games guy does.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Nigel's stage looks good! It's nice and just feels like it'll be fun to play on.

Nigel's animal noises without voice makes him feel like a joke character, though maybe he's meant to be, i dunno :p

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Missed opportunity of the century: at no point in Nigel's moveset does he do that thing with his hands. I was at least hoping for it to be his jab or his taunt or something, but nah, it's not there at all. Biggest disappointment of this entire game tbh.
Anywho, Nigel's moveset looks kinda fun. I honestly expected him to be kinda Puff-like since I couldn't really imagine a concrete archetype for him, and I was kind of right in the weirdest way possible since he has this game's Rest equivalent for some reason. His archetype as a neutral-focused heavyweight doesn't really jive with me personally, but I might bust him out in friendlies from time to time.
I also can't really agree with the sentiment that Rep as the narrator is "annoying" or "obnoxious" or whatever. The man just has enthusiasm, which considering this is a cartoon fighting game, I think works great. It's not like he goes over the top with his line delivery - except with "FALCOOOONNNN... Dive." which, yeah, that is the joke.
Well, boring is my fun. Simple as that.
Aren't those literal antonyms, though...?

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I'd much rather take Rep. I can't stand listening to the Fair Play Dev, at least there's jokes to crack and make fun of with Rep's silly delivery, Mr. Marcos or whoever can't set the scene or get my interest to save his life.
With all due respect, he's also not very good at delivering jokes.

Last edited:

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
I’ve been conditioned to years of deadpan narration in my cartoons so Fair Play’s announcer is my preference
he doesn’t really have to hook me since I’m already invested in the game, I just like straightforward explanations of the move functions
you all are really interested in arguing the motivation behind personal preference fsr

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I personally much prefer the Fairplay narrator. Rep is honestly way too much at times and feel like he's three seconds away from telling me to smash the like button and subscribe to his Patreon, while the Fairplay dev gets to the point and is much easier to listen to.

Nothing against Rep as a person though. I'm sure he's a super nice guy but I just don't vibe with his narration style at all.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Lord Nelson's trousers, I think I'm actually going to be a Nigel main. The down special seems way less obtuse to use than Puff's because you don't have to literally be clipping into the opponent for it to work.
Yeah, at least with Nigel's Flick, I can actually kind of tell where the sweetspot is; with Rest, it frequently feels like a crapshoot a lot of the time.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I say, you lot have to understand, this game has pretty much a minus amount of budget to even get trained VAs for the showcases. The best they can do is rely on whatever staff is available, and there is no time to have proper ADR for any of it. 🧐

Also, I noticed Donnie and Darwin on the stage, as expected.

Now what begs the question is, what character showcases would be paired up on Monday prior to the presumable Avatar unveiling on Tuesday? I assume it'd be the "outdated cereal mascot" lads.

Wow, whoever took care of the splash screen really didn't coordinate with the devs or team deciding when to reveal the characters xD
At this rate, I expect Nick to be blissfully unaware that everyone already knows the big damn secret.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I honestly love that apparently Nigel's strongest attack...is him just flicking his fingers at his opponent; that's hilarious! Though I do think I prefer the name "Smashing!" for the move over just "Flick".

Also, something I forgot to mention was that I would not have pegged him as a heavyweight fighter; I would've thought he'd at least have been closer to middleweight. Go figure.

Also also, assuming that new date with Best Buy is just something weird going on with them, we are now officially one week away from the game's launch, and honestly? I'm pumped! This game looks really fun and the vast majority of showcased characters look like they'd be right up my alley!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
After double-checking, it looks as though there's actually 4 non-Avatar characters left without showcases (Oblina, Zim, Reptar and PTM).

At this rate, either there's a double showcase this Friday, or the Avatar cast will most likely be announced at the last minute.

Nigel looks fantastic despite me never watching Wild Thornberries due to it looking too uh... Ugly, for lack of a better word, don't know why I felt that as I loved Rugrats.

Sidenote I've been watching Korra and goddamn I cannot wait for her reveal now
After AHH Real Monsters, I could handle anything Klasky-Csupo would throw at me, so I fortunately had no issues getting into it.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I’ve been conditioned to years of deadpan narration in my cartoons so Fair Play’s announcer is my preference
he doesn’t really have to hook me since I’m already invested in the game, I just like straightforward explanations of the move functions
you all are really interested in arguing the motivation behind personal preference fsr
I agree with this, I also really loved Deadpan humor so I actually think that the Fair play narrator is funnier than Rep. Maybe that's not intentionnal but the way he deliver his puns and jokes with little energy makes it way more funier than it should be.

amageish

Smash Master
After double-checking, it looks as though there's actually 4 non-Avatar characters left without showcases (Oblina, Zim, Reptar and PTM).

At this rate, either there's a double showcase this Friday, or the Avatar cast will most likely be announced at the last minute.
You know, until today with the preloads going out with Aang/Korra on the icon, I kind of assumed they had to reveal Avatar before the game is out given them literally being on the boxart...

But now part of me unironically thinks that the game will launch digitally at midnight, people will play and stream it, and at 10AM after the game has launched they will "reveal" the Avatar cast...

You know, until today with the preloads going out with Aang/Korra on the icon, I kind of assumed they had to reveal Avatar before the game is out given them literally being on the boxart...

But now part of me unironically thinks that the game will launch digitally at midnight, people will play and stream it, and at 10AM after the game has launched they will "reveal" the Avatar cast...
I hope the marketing team isn't stupid enough to do that. Get people interested in buying before launch, might as well show off ALL the characters.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
It's kind of cool that even though Smash has almost 90 characters, Ludosity can still come up with characters that are completely different from what we've seen before. I guess in a sense it's just mix-and-matching traits, but a heavy with a mobility option like his neutral special, with Rest as well, and interesting setup options like his nair, it just goes to show that there is a lot of untapped potential in this genre which is exciting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but you can definitely tell they had to occasionally cut some corners on the moveset department: at least 4 characters use a slightly different tackle attack.

View attachment 331955not really news,but it seems this game will defiantly have a bright future ahead than we thought
This "ugly" duckling should become a swan in time, as expected.

I hope the marketing team isn't stupid enough to do that. Get people interested in buying before launch, might as well show off ALL the characters.
The main issue here is that Nick learned too late that people actually wanted this game, so now the devs' marketing departments are scrambling to get all the showcases ready and shown off in time.

It's kind of cool that even though Smash has almost 90 characters, Ludosity can still come up with characters that are completely different from what we've seen before. I guess in a sense it's just mix-and-matching traits, but a heavy with a mobility option like his neutral special, with Rest as well, and interesting setup options like his nair, it just goes to show that there is a lot of untapped potential in this genre which is exciting.
Ludosity are among the few devs that seem to "get" how to do a distinct take on Smash, while others simply copypaste to various degrees of quality and success.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but you can definitely tell they had to occasionally cut some corners on the moveset department: at least 4 characters use a slightly different tackle attack.
This should be obvious by the fact most air attacks are just the same as their grounded moves. Like, Nigel's strongs are just his grounded strongs...but in the air.

Not that I'm being negative. It's just clear they did what they could to even make this game happen. I'm happy it's happening. 'Cut corners' or not.

Top Bottom