• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

amageish

Smash Master
I've said it before but....What The Heck!? Welcome to the Wayne doesn't have any emotes.
They seem to be pretty focused on 90s/00s with Korra and The Loud House being the 2010s shows... for the most part, at least.

Damn, I was really hoping for SpongeBob background character representation.
LOL. But you get what I mean: It will be true that most characters with emotes won't be playable, but that doesn't make it true that they are purposefully given out emotes as some big-brain hint system to indicate who isn't playable in the game.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
So, i went to rewatch papagenos' recent video on NASB to re-look at the roster leak on discord with the two scribble characters and he said that he found another image with Garfield taking the second spot.

I looked at the image to see if the image was crossing through the scrabble image to see if its fake and seemingly it's kind of hard to pin point but it seems the render of garf looks to be completely inside the scribbled out square alongside the name.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It seems like the emotes are generally wide-reaching - there doesn't seem much notable correlation between what does or does not have them and what has been announced. Most characters with emotes aren't in the game and, frankly, probably will never be in the game, but I also don't think that them being emotes is a cryptic hint at their present exclusion. I believe the devs even made a comment about how "This isn't Game Theory" when people were discussing if the emotes were hints...

That said, here's all the current emotes and stickers if you want to look at all the obscure references they fit in.

It just goes to show that the emotes matter even less. In fact, I guess it was just a way of saying "here are emotes of these characters, just in case they don't get in".

Would have been better off if Thaddeus hadn't said anything about them in the first place, really. TV Tropes sure believes they don't mean anything.

So yeah, I think anyone outside of live-action could be on the table still (not sure about what their stance on Nick Jr. is).

Seriously though, let's try not to pointlessly dash GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 's hopes of Bessie when we still don't know a iota about how the DLC cycle will look.

Last edited:

antinomicTune

Smash Rookie
So, i went to rewatch papagenos' recent video on NASB to re-look at the roster leak on discord with the two scribble characters and he said that he found another image with Garfield taking the second spot.

I looked at the image to see if the image was crossing through the scrabble image to see if its fake and seemingly it's kind of hard to pin point but it seems the render of garf looks to be completely inside the scribbled out square alongside the name.
That was already addressed a few pages back by Quick Gaming (QG) Quick Gaming (QG) , see here:

Also someone from GameMill confirmed we're getting a Leo showcase today as well!

dlewis53

Smash Lord

I'm pretty sure that image has already been confirmed as fake. QG mentioned it himself.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
It seems like the emotes are generally wide-reaching - there doesn't seem much notable correlation between what does or does not have them and what has been announced. Most characters with emotes aren't in the game and, frankly, probably will never be in the game, but I also don't think that them being emotes is a cryptic hint at their present exclusion. I believe the devs even made a comment about how "This isn't Game Theory" when people were discussing if the emotes were hints...

That said, here's all the current emotes and stickers if you want to look at all the obscure references they fit in.

That Jenny Trans pride one 💖💖💖

amageish

Smash Master
It just goes to show that the emotes matter even less. In fact, I guess it was just a way of saying "here are emotes of these characters, just in case they don't get in".

Would have been better off if Thaddeus hadn't said anything about them in the first place, really. TV Tropes sure believes they don't mean anything.

So yeah, I think anyone outside of live-action could be on the table still (not sure about what their stance on Nick Jr. is).

Seriously though, let's try not to pointlessly dash GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 's hopes of Bessie when we still don't know a iota about how the DLC cycle will look.
I believe the emoji comment was early into the game's speculation cycle; the devs weren't quite ready for the level of obsession Smash fans can bring to the table lol.

But, yeah, I wouldn't start gating anyone off from the DLC possibilities, honestly. Really just depends on who Ludosity/GameMill think would be fun. The sticker of Steve getting an invite to Brawl is funny though.

That Jenny Trans pride one 💖💖💖
Yes! Given all the memes they reference, I shouldn't be too surprised they referenced a fairly common headcanon/character-reading like trans Jenny, but they are really deep in fandom know-how.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

I didn't even realize until now that they have an emote of that one camp counselor from Jimmy Neutron that's just a recolor of Skeet.
These devs and Discord mods are amazing.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I didn't even realize until now that they have an emote of that one camp counselor from Jimmy Neutron that's just a recolor of Skeet.
These devs and Discord mods are amazing.
technically skeet's the recolor

a beautiful mine came first

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
technically skeet's the recolor

a beautiful mine came first
In fact, Chip was even going to be the McSpanky's employee Jimmy and co. would talk to, but Skeet was a very last-minute change, hence the exact same voice and model.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
To be fair, I imagine you can probably DI out of it and the only reason SpongeBob didn't there is because he's a literal punching bag. There's no way you can string together five Down Tilts with her on an opponent that ISN'T sedated.
Its mostly the distance and the approacing property of the move that amazes me. Her tilt sounds liek a good poking tool and a good way to get in and start putting pressure. Its probably one of her best moves.

and showcase!
Cool! This is definitely our "smash swordsman fighter".

I got worried thinking Leo's up special was going to be Link's garbage smash 64 recovery. I'm glad that's not the case as it looks like it has a decent vertical distance. Leo also has Mii Brawler's Feint Jump but it can spike opponents.
I am worried about it though since in the 4 player showcase, he was spiked from that move pretty easily.

Please tell me this means good news for Garfield with so many emotes. I dont want to end in a Garfield minus Garfield situation.

amageish

Smash Master
Please tell me this means good news for Garfield with so many emotes. I dont want to end in a Garfield minus Garfield situation.
Again, I wouldn't put too much stock into the emoji selection meaning anything beyond "Some characters have a lot of good faces that work well for emotes" - they don't really seem to line up with the playable cast in any meaningful way.

That said, for Garfield, I suppose it at least ends all the "Garfield shouldn't count as Nickelodeon" debates?

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Again, I wouldn't put too much stock into the emoji selection meaning anything beyond "Some characters have a lot of good faces that work well for emotes" - they don't really seem to line up with the playable cast in any meaningful way.

That said, for Garfield, I suppose it at least ends all the "Garfield shouldn't count as Nickelodeon" debates?
Garfield and Friends aired on Nickelodeon at one point, so why the heck not.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Apologies for how early in the morning this is, but...

...So, this guy is someone I watch who is currently reviewing Nickelodeon games, and this was from a conversation I was having with him where he feels the roster is very underwhelming and that there's little to no chance of there being DLC.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

...So, this guy is someone I watch who is currently reviewing Nickelodeon games, and this was from a conversation I was having with him where he feels the roster is very underwhelming and that there's little to no chance of there being DLC.

What do you guys think?
Well, he's obviously right about the week it launches being packed with competition. It will be the only game with SpongeBob on the box for parents to buy their kids though; I think its launch timing is mostly going to impact its attempts to target gamers of an age where they are buying their own games, if anyone.

As for the roster... I mean, we can talk about the lack of franchise diversity (particularly with FOP and Jimmy) until the cows come home, but it is still far more diverse then more recent console Nicktoon crossover game offerings. If that is your standard, then idk how this is anything but a success?

And as for the idea that DLC that Ludosity has said is happening just won't happen... I mean, obviously Nick could walk out and leave them hanging if Nick felt that DLC wasn't worth the resources to do, but you can say that about any game? Any licensed game can get cancelled if the IP owner thinks the money being put into it isn't worth it. It's weird to just assume it will happen pre-emptively.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

What do you guys think?
Is he seriously worried about this game having to deal with Back 4 Blood? All the L4D fans I've seen think it fails to live up to it.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Well, he's obviously right about the week it launches being packed with competition. It will be the only game with SpongeBob on the box for parents to buy their kids though; I think its launch timing is mostly going to impact its attempts to target gamers of an age where they are buying their own games, if anyone.

As for the roster... I mean, we can talk about the lack of franchise diversity (particularly with FOP and Jimmy) until the cows come home, but it is still far more diverse then more recent console Nicktoon crossover game offerings. If that is your standard, then idk how this is anything but a success?

And as for the idea that DLC that Ludosity has said is happening just won't happen... I mean, obviously Nick could walk out and leave them hanging if Nick felt that DLC wasn't worth the resources to do, but you can say that about any game? Any licensed game can get cancelled if the IP owner thinks the money being put into it isn't worth it. It's weird to just assume it will happen pre-emptively.
Regarding the roster, it seemed like his main point was that on top of missing some shows like Jimmy Neutron, Rocket Power, or Angry Beavers, nine of its characters were from SpongeBob, Ninja Turtles, and Avatar, and I'm like...yes, that's true, but in terms of represented shows, the game is still pretty much on par with Kart Racers 2 (which from what I recall, he didn't seem to have an issue with the roster there), not to mention it features both The WIld Thornberrys (which hasn't been featured in a Nicktoons crossover since Nickelodeon Party Blast in 2002) and, even more-so, Aah! Real Monsters, which hasn't been featured in a game period since Nicktoon Racing back in 2000; it took 21 YEARS for that show to be featured in any game, let alone a crossover like this!

And yeah, he did come off as kind of pessimistic towards DLC happening, if I'm being frank.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Is he seriously worried about this game having to deal with Back 4 Blood? All the L4D fans I've seen think it fails to live up to it.
Yeah, uh, it is a busy week, but I can't say those games share a target demographic lol.

Regarding the roster, it seemed like his main point was that on top of missing some shows like Jimmy Neutron, Rocket Power, or Angry Beavers, nine of its characters were from SpongeBob, Ninja Turtles, and Avatar, and I'm like...yes, that's true, but in terms of represented shows, the game is still pretty much on par with Kart Racers 2 (which from what I recall, he didn't seem to have an issue with the roster there), not to mention it features both The WIld Thornberrys (which hasn't been featured in a Nicktoons crossover since Nickelodeon Party Blast in 2002) and, even more-so, Aah! Real Monsters, which hasn't been featured in a game period since Nicktoon Racing back in 2000; it took 21 YEARS for that show to be featured in any game, let alone a crossover like this!

And yeah, he did come off as kind of pessimistic towards DLC happening, if I'm being frank.
Yeah, I am aware it is missing things and that it has a lot of repeated shows, but... this game is primarily trying to be a diverse and balanced fighting game? So, having a variety of fun movesets is goal number one, not just repping all of Nick's 90s-era Saturday morning block. And, as you say, this game is already getting deeper cuts then we've seen lately via Nigel and Oblina. This comment really strikes me as someone upset their faves aren't in and are trying to frame it as an objective failing of the game to cater to their nostalgia TBH...

(I also personally don't know if I'd count Aang and Korra as being from the same show for all intense and purposes, but that's neither here nor there.)

And yeah... Idk; I'm not expecting this game to be a million-seller either, but the biggest risk here IMO is that the DLC just ends up coming in the form of a sequel like what happened when the first racing game had a controversial launch.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Yeah, uh, it is a busy week, but I can't say those games share a target demographic lol.

Yeah, I am aware it is missing things and that it has a lot of repeated shows, but... this game is primarily trying to be a diverse and balanced fighting game? So, having a variety of fun movesets is goal number one, not just repping all of Nick's 90s-era Saturday morning block. And, as you say, this game is already getting deeper cuts then we've seen lately via Nigel and Oblina. This comment really strikes me as someone upset their faves aren't in and are trying to frame it as an objective failing of the game to cater to their nostalgia TBH...

(I also personally don't know if I'd count Aang and Korra as being from the same show for all intense and purposes, but that's neither here nor there.)

And yeah... Idk; I'm not expecting this game to be a million-seller either, but the biggest risk here IMO is that the DLC just ends up coming in the form of a sequel like what happened when the first racing game had a controversial launch.
Since Last Airbender and Legend of Korra both take place within the same universe with the same general art-style, I personally count Aang, Toph, and Korra as all being Avatar characters.

And yeah, I've had this concern the moment DLC was announced that the game wouldn't sell well enough to actually reach that point (which I guess depends on what Nick's expectations for the game are), but it still feels rather defeatist of him to just outright assume that there's practically no chance of DLC ever happening for the game.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah, uh, it is a busy week, but I can't say those games share a target demographic lol
Well yes, that too, but I really don't see B4B being a commercial success. At all.

I'm not expecting this game to be a million-seller either
I think that's a bit too low, I'm expecting 1-2 million at best unless patches really fix things and enough influencers show off voice clips and such.

amageish

Smash Master
Since Last Airbender and Legend of Korra both take place within the same universe with the same general art-style, I personally count Aang, Toph, and Korra as all being Avatar characters.

And yeah, I've had this concern the moment DLC was announced that the game wouldn't sell well enough to actually reach that point (which I guess depends on what Nick's expectations for the game are), but it still feels rather defeatist of him to just outright assume that there's practically no chance of DLC ever happening for the game.
True, they do share a world - and they share a world in a much more plot-important way then, say, Rugrats and The Wild Thornberrys also share a world/artstyle - but they're still two different shows with different tones and legacies. If you're trying to represent the history of Nicktoons and prioritizing diversity of franchises, I still think it'd be an omission to have only Aang or only Korra.

And yeah, I was concerned about DLC never getting announced because of that, but DLC has been announced now... And I trust that Nick did market research that makes them confident in following through before doing said announcement.

Well yes, that too, but I really don't see B4B being a commercial success. At all.
This is also fair.

I think that's a bit too low, I'm expecting 1-2 million at best unless patches really fix things and enough influencers show off voice clips and such.
I imagine it can climb up to one million or two million over time; I'm just not expecting it to blow up the charts week one. I imagine this is a game a lot of people will play at friend's houses or as a side-event at Smash tourneys before deciding "Oh, what the hey" and picking it up themselves.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

Why do they have the Irate Gamer's Puppet Steve? Is that a server in-joke?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Gotta keep in mind, the Smash audience is way more dedicated than the kiddie audience the racing games were aimed to. Said racing games had limited appeal to older gamers that did pay attention to them, since they were treated as disposable overall (through no fault of Game Mill, to be fair).

The marketing for this game sprung up really fast a few months after the initial announcement when they realized just how much appeal the concept has, so the moment that this catches the mainstream audience's attention with Spongebob on the cover, I think it'll do pretty well outside of the core audiences.

If anything, it'd be a fun coincidence. They're just covering the bases of Nick-owned characters with the emotes.

Garfield and Friends aired on Nickelodeon at one point, so why the heck not.
Makes me wonder if the staff is nostalgic about that too. If Garf got in, they may try to include references to that.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Looking back at Fanboy and Chum Chum, I honestly want Boog in the game.

Like, not even Fanboy and Chum Chum themselves. I'd be fine if the series rep was literally just Boog because he's the show's sole redeeming quality.
While I'm not too keen on the PTM-equivalent hype, Man-Arctica would be pretty rad as an ice-themed fighter.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
About the game sales, considering the comment on the low budget I think the game will still be profitable. Of course the game will not sell as much as Far Cry 6, but it can still be succesful.

About the roster, I think it's fine. The thing is that with 20 spots, it's hard to please everyone. Of course having more franchises would have been good, but this would have mean cutting side characters like Toph, Sandy, April or even Mikey.

Like, not even Fanboy and Chum Chum themselves. I'd be fine if the series rep was literally just Boog because he's the show's sole redeeming quality.
I'd just go with Kyle honestly. I think he's a great character with good moveset potential.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Gotta keep in mind, the Smash audience is way more dedicated than the kiddie audience the racing games were aimed to. Said racing games had limited appeal to older gamers that did pay attention to them, since they were treated as disposable overall (through no fault of Game Mill, to be fair).
I do sort of wish there were more high quality kart racers out there, considering MK9 isn't going to release until we colonize Mars.

Kyle would like to know your location

Top Bottom