• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Okay, so April's a glass cannon; well, I typically enjoy playing as glass cannons like Mewtwo and Ridley over in Smash, so I think she'll be fun. Although, I'm a bit surprised that the act of utilizing her Ratings mechanic (i.e. using it when it's fully charged) is tied to only one attack; I'd have thought it would at least be tied to others, but I guess not.

Also, that stage looks decent; it might serve as another good stage to use for testing out characters.

LimeTH

Smash Lord

Also someone from GameMill confirmed we're getting a Leo showcase today as well!
Only showing one character out of two really gives it away.

Why do y'all consider Oblina a side character, when ARM has three protagonists of equal importance
Isn't Ickis technically the main character? That must be why people keep saying that.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Crackpot theory: could be that we're all zoomers who played Toybots, where Krumm was the ARM master model, and therefore assumed Krumm was the main protag.
I ain't no zoomer but I honestly remember Krumm more than the other two main monsters, even if it was Ickis who was playable in Nicktoons Racing.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I ain't no zoomer but I honestly remember Krumm more than the other two main monsters, even if it was Ickis who was playable in Nicktoons Racing.
Krumm is used in promo stuff more often, from what I've seen. Either he was the most popular back in the day and they carried that over to the nostalgia stuff, or it's just cause he's got a funny lookin' design.

HARBlNGER

Smash Apprentice
Helga I think is just about her being more willing to be violent than Arnold. Nothing more, nothing less.
That's a simple answer for including Helga instead of Arnold, but it's also flawed considering Helga is being added to the roster of a platform fighting game where consumers are controlling these characters it shouldn't even matter if Helga is more violent, emotionally and physically than Arnold. Characters not being violent enough in terms of personality traits hasn't stopped characters getting in Smash games in the past so I don't know why people still use that as a talking point. Plus Arnold already knew how to fight since the first season of the show.
TatteredFarFoal-max-1mb.gif

In the "Mugger" episode Arnold got attacked and mugged by a stranger so his grandmother taught him martial arts for self-defense, even though Arnold's goal was to learn just so he can get his bus pass, and get revenge on the mugger. Arnold's training payed off, and among the techniques he learned from martial arts he gained some very quick reflexes, and those reflexes can translate well in NASB because of how quick everyone's attacks come out. You can mix in a couple of the martial arts moves he demonstrated for his family, friends, the poor guy in the gif, and the mugger he ran into again (Arnold could also have the quickest grab in the game by the way he got his bus pass back). This episode is just a specific, and really the only example needed showing how Arnold can be violent, as well as shutting down the whole "lol Arnold's a pacifist he can't fight" excuse I've seen tossed around online. Arnold only showed his martial arts skills in one episode but it's arguably enough to make a moveset out of if the devs really wanted to.

But I would't want them to just focus on the martial arts, I want to see Dangerous Lumber be used in his moveset (light and strong attack or a special move), Abner running across the stage as an assist, his bicycle as his light dash and Glueboy as his strong dash, Pigeon Man's pigeons as a recovery, that April Fools prank that briefly blinded Helga as a stun special move, and the list goes on. I do hope the devs consider adding Arnold as DLC in the future but I would've considered adding the football head first over Helga. To be clear I love that Helga's in the game and I'm not opposed to her being in NASB. I get the impression they chose Helga over Arnold is because of "he's not violent enough" or "he's a pacifist" excuse, but if one of the devs have spoken out on why Helga was picked over Arnold I wouldn't mind seeing the post.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hernández said that it was fun for the team to go back and “give a fresh coat of paint” not only to April but to the entire Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles world with new 3D models. “The most exciting thing was going through all the original TV show episodes and nailing down her look,” Hernández said. “Back in the day, animators had a lot of freedom and her appearance could change quite a bit from one episode to the other.”

This isn’t the only game aiming to revamp April’s original design. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge, a retro-styled, four-player, co-op beat-’em-up being developed by Tribute Games, is reimagining her as a street fighter. She’ll also be using her microphone and television cameras as weapons, in a nod to her classic design.
The coincidence levels are off the charts for this one, since Tribute Games also binge-watched the cartoon before doing their game.

So, if we get another moveset coverage tomorrow, who do you think we'll get a heads up from around 6 PM EST, NASB Twitter, or Game Mill?

Helga I think is just about her being more willing to be violent than Arnold. Nothing more, nothing less.
The main difference is that Arnie's patience has its limits, even if it doesn't happen too often. Helga's a loaded gun with a finger on the trigger at all times.

I could see angelica being ok as a fighter. Kind of along the lines of Helga in some ways, even if much younger.
In regards to Angelica, could she possibly be considered "acceptable" because while she is considered one of the babies, she techically isn't a baby as she's 3 in earlier seasons and I believe 4 in post-movie ones?

(Disclaimer: Please do not hit a 3 year old IRL even if it's more acceptable in video games than hitting 1 year olds)
Depends on which version of her they'd go with, anyway. I can't help but think the Rugrats representation seems off somehow, especially when they could simply have had us fight in a giant version of the crib instead of an imaginary Western town.

That's a simple answer for including Helga instead of Arnold, but it's also flawed considering Helga is being added to the roster of a platform fighting game where consumers are controlling these characters it shouldn't even matter if Helga is more violent, emotionally and physically than Arnold. Characters not being violent enough in terms of personality traits hasn't stopped characters getting in Smash games in the past so I don't know why people still use that as a talking point. Plus Arnold already knew how to fight since the first season of the show.
View attachment 330979
In the "Mugger" episode Arnold got attacked and mugged by a stranger so his grandmother taught him martial arts for self-defense, even though Arnold's goal was to learn just so he can get his bus pass, and get revenge on the mugger. Arnold's training payed off, and among the techniques he learned from martial arts he gained some very quick reflexes, and those reflexes can translate well in NASB because of how quick everyone's attacks come out. You can mix in a couple of the martial arts moves he demonstrated for his family, friends, the poor guy in the gif, and the mugger he ran into again (Arnold could also have the quickest grab in the game by the way he got his bus pass back). This episode is just a specific, and really the only example needed showing how Arnold can be violent, as well as shutting down the whole "lol Arnold's a pacifist he can't fight" excuse I've seen tossed around online. Arnold only showed his martial arts skills in one episode but it's arguably enough to make a moveset out of if the devs really wanted to.

But I would't want them to just focus on the martial arts, I want to see Dangerous Lumber be used in his moveset (light and strong attack or a special move), Abner running across the stage as an assist, his bicycle as his light dash and Glueboy as his strong dash, Pigeon Man's pigeons as a recovery, that April Fools prank that briefly blinded Helga as a stun special move, and the list goes on. I do hope the devs consider adding Arnold as DLC in the future but I would've considered adding the football head first over Helga. To be clear I love that Helga's in the game and I'm not opposed to her being in NASB. I get the impression they chose Helga over Arnold is because of "he's not violent enough" or "he's a pacifist" excuse, but if one of the devs have spoken out on why Helga was picked over Arnold I wouldn't mind seeing the post.
Oh god, it really is the ":ultisabelle: is a pacifist" debates all over again, isn't it?

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I'm not seeing any more TLH reps getting in, especially more sisters.
You know, you don't need to say this literally every time that someone mentions TLH in a list of characters that could get in... It is inevitably going to come up quite a bit...

April moveset showcase is now up on Polygon.
I did not expect the ratings system in the slightest. I wonder what that means for the potential of Aang/Korra having an avatar state meter system...

HARBlNGER

Smash Apprentice
Oh god, it really is the ":ultisabelle: is a pacifist" debates all over again, isn't it?
Yeah I've seen them on twitter and youtube a while ago relating to Arnold but never in this thread. Also funny enough, Arnold could have a fishing rod move similar to Isabelle in his moveset as a reference to the Big Caesar episode.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Why do y'all consider Oblina a side character, when ARM has three protagonists of equal importance
I don't, I see her as a main character. I mean, it is called "AHH Real Monsters", not "AHH Really Freaky Rabbity Thing".

Crackpot theory: could be that we're all zoomers who played Toybots, where Krumm was the ARM master model, and therefore assumed Krumm was the main protag.
Meanwhile, I'm one of those weird people who knows of their quirky 16-bit game in which they played like The Lost Vikings.

View attachment 330984

More info on toastshine
Oh yeah, a showcase is imminent for him.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You know, you don't need to say this literally every time that someone mentions TLH in a list of characters that could get in... It is inevitably going to come up
This is kind of Riley's thing, he had a reputation for doing this in the SSBU newcomer thread.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Quick Gaming (QG) Quick Gaming (QG) I would also like to ask where you heard about us getting a Leo showcase today.

I'm seeing a lot of bezerk buttons in this thread - Rango, Lincoln's sisters, Hugh, the abscence of the remaining two turtles...
Not to mention any character that isn't Jimmy, Timmy, Jenny or from the 90s. Granted, the reaction is more of ignoring them than anything else, but still.

amageish

Smash Master
Pretty much every "X character is a pacifist" argument can be brought down with an easily equal to yell "It's for sport"...

That being said - if there's a more agressive alternative, a character who would be more interested in going into a fight tournament, go for them.
It honestly seems like it is based on the nuanced metric of "Who do the devs think would be fun" lol. In the case of Helga, they went for the natural aggressor. In the case of April, they went for the reporter who isn't a trained fighter (in the incarnation they went with) like a lot of the TMNT cast is.

It may be best to just have an open mind, I think... I don't think Ludosity is sitting around making a consistent set of rules, but just picking characters on a case-by-case basis based on who they think will be fun and lend themselves to a unique kit.

Pictured: Not Ludosity

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Not to mention any character that isn't Jimmy, Timmy, Jenny or from the 90s. Granted, the reaction is more of ignoring them than anything else, but still.
Hey, not all 90s characters are equal. I keep having to inform people that despite Kablam being a copyright Ka-luster****, its hosts and most notable series of shorts are both 100% Viacom owned.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Depends on which version of her they'd go with, anyway. I can't help but think the Rugrats representation seems off somehow, especially when they could simply have had us fight in a giant version of the crib instead of an imaginary Western town.
It's actually not imaginary at all. It's a Western themed playground.

I'm seeing a lot of bezerk buttons in this thread - Rango, Lincoln's sisters, Hugh, the abscence of the remaining two turtles...
Guilty as charged, I've lost my temper over duo Beavers in here at least once.

That's a crossover game for ya. Everyone wants their favorites to be represented as well as possible.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It honestly seems like it is based on the nuanced metric of "Who do the devs think would be fun" lol. In the case of Helga, they went for the natural aggressor. In the case of April, they went for the reporter who isn't a trained fighter (in the incarnation they went with) like a lot of the TMNT cast is.

It may be best to just have an open mind, I think... I don't think Ludosity is sitting around making a consistent set of rules, but just picking characters on a case-by-case basis based on who they think will be fun and lend themselves to a unique kit.

Pictured: Not Ludosity
Ex-actly. This is mainly why I'm desperately hoping they'll pick Kitty if they go through all the Frederator shows. 🤞

Hey, not all 90s characters are equal. I keep having to inform people that despite Kablam being a copyright Ka-luster****, its hosts and most notable series of shorts are both 100% Viacom owned.
That's true.

Also as far as the beavers go it's mixed. Some think they'll be alone, others don't.

It's actually not imaginary at all. It's a Western themed playground.

Guilty as charged, I've lost my temper over duo Beavers in here at least once.

That's a crossover game for ya. Everyone wants their favorites to be represented as well as possible.
It's been ages since I saw the show, so I can miss a detail.

Or get in period, depending on the character.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
View attachment 330979

Funny enough, I've actually been working on an Arnold moveset the past couple of days and it includes a few things you mentioned lol. As well as some others, like his strong dash being ramming into the opponent while pushing Lockjaw on a skateboard. It's just not finished yet, though, because I wanted to throw in some sports attacks but don't know the extent Helga uses them in her moveset (since we briefly see her with a baseball bat in the reveal trailer), and I didn't want them to overlap too much.

Top Bottom