• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'd be shocked if Snake was cut but Simon wasn't.

Seniority aside, Metal Gear is just a much bigger series and Snake is a more popular than any of the Belmonts in the gaming landscape. Castlevania is no slouch. Both franchises are huge in the gaming landscape, but I think Metal Gear is the bigger get here. A quick Google search shows that Metal Gear has sold roughly three times the amount of units that Castlevania has. Simon may be huge with Nintendo fans, but Snake is huge with gaming fans in general.

Ideally we'd keep both franchises though. Both Snake and Simon (and Richter) are awesome additions that compliment each other really well. That said, I don't think Metal Gear got the short end of the stick. Yeah it got roughly the same content as Brawl, but it did get new additions. It wasn't practically glanced over like Wario or Kid Icarus was. I think Castlevania's excess of content. 34 music tracks is no small feat, but I'm willing to suggest that's because the music team pushed to work with Castlevania music (like they did with Mega Man and Fire Emblem) because it's so famous and beloved. Metal Gear has the amount of content most third parties franchises have. Just look at Persona, Banjo Kazooie and Minecraft.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I think, while I'm sure the composers were excited about working with the series, Castlevania's excess of content is, in part, because it seems like it's pretty cheap to license if Dead Cells can do it.

That, and Konami's seeming nonchalance so long as the money was there may be one of the reasons it was chosen for base in general, when, though it was requested, it's not like it was the most popular third-party request that hadn't been included at that point.

I mean it got two characters, a boss, at AT, and a lot of music. The budget for base is obviously allocated differently than for DLC, but base has a lot of costs tied to it. I imagine that amount of Castlevania content happened because it came with a very reasonable pricetag, comparatively.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Getting two characters however was only cause one was an Echo who had barely any differences in gameplay. So I wouldn't put much stock in that factor. Sure, it's still going to be a lot to license, but it wouldn't have gotten double characters outside of that factor. Even if it wasn't a barely any different Echo(so more like Chrom), it'd still be cheaper than two actually separated Castlevania characters. Or at least wouldn't have time to add two easily.

But yeah, there's no doubt Konami is easy to license for beyond that particular caveat~

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Getting two characters however was only cause one was an Echo who had barely any differences in gameplay. So I wouldn't put much stock in that factor. Sure, it's still going to be a lot to license, but it wouldn't have gotten double characters outside of that factor. Even if it wasn't a barely any different Echo(so more like Chrom), it'd still be cheaper than two actually separated Castlevania characters. Or at least wouldn't have time to add two easily.

But yeah, there's no doubt Konami is easy to license for beyond that particular caveat~
Well, I'm talking about licensing costs. They still licensed two playable characters, being an echo may not affect those costs. It's not like Konami would cut them a deal on development costs, that's out of their hands. That's an expense Nintendo knowingly incurs by how many characters they choose to make.

And even if licensing an echo is cheaper... it's probably still far from the cheapest aspect of the series they licensed.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, I'm talking about licensing costs. They still licensed two playable characters, being an echo may not affect those costs. It's not like Konami would cut them a deal on development costs, that's out of their hands. That's an expense Nintendo knowingly incurs by how many characters they choose to make.

And even if licensing an echo is cheaper... it's probably still far from the cheapest aspect of the series they licensed.
That's also what I meant, that it's not about cheap licensing.

I worded it badly. What I mean is that the reason they're willing to license out two characters that easily was because they already could make two very similar, cutting tons of workload nearly in half. This is part of what justifies it in general. That said, it's not just that simple, because there's no doubt Richter still would cost close to(or the same) as Simon anyway. The "which one is the echo" also suggests to me they are pretty equal billing. If so, that's a fair implication they cost about/exactly the same to license.

Of course, it's just as possible they license both, and it turned out they were super easy to make due to the Echo factor and it wasn't really a factor in why. Either could've happened. Most likely the latter. To clarify a bit more;

• We know Sakurai, when determining characters, goes over their merits, and various plans. It's quite possible he figured the best way was to have both and had an idea of how to implement them before the licensing began or during the licensing itself.
  • What the above means is that the fact two characters were easy to develop as a concept could be why Sakurai was willing to get two at once.
    • The actual licensing price wasn't what I meant, but that's cause I misread part of what you said. Apologies for that.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
That's also what I meant, that it's not about cheap licensing.

I worded it badly. What I mean is that the reason they're willing to license out two characters that easily was because they already could make two very similar, cutting tons of workload nearly in half. This is part of what justifies it in general. That said, it's not just that simple, because there's no doubt Richter still would cost close to(or the same) as Simon anyway. The "which one is the echo" also suggests to me they are pretty equal billing. If so, that's a fair implication they cost about/exactly the same to license.

Of course, it's just as possible they license both, and it turned out they were super easy to make due to the Echo factor and it wasn't really a factor in why. Either could've happened. Most likely the latter. To clarify a bit more;

• We know Sakurai, when determining characters, goes over their merits, and various plans. It's quite possible he figured the best way was to have both and had an idea of how to implement them before the licensing began or during the licensing itself.
  • What the above means is that the fact two characters were easy to develop as a concept could be why Sakurai was willing to get two at once.
    • The actual licensing price wasn't what I meant, but that's cause I misread part of what you said. Apologies for that.
I mean, I don't dispute what you're saying, but it wasn't... what I was saying. I wasn't talking about development costs. Obviously echoes are cheaper to develop than original characters, and that could incentivize Nintendo to get a second license knowing development costs of the second character would be a fraction of the first. But the licensing cost for an echo may not be much if any different than that for an original character.

Even with an expensive license, like if they had licensed Cloud but also Zack to be an echo, it'd be the same principle development cost-wise. Zack would be considerably cheaper to develop. What may deter them from doing that, however, is the cost of licensing Zack on top of Cloud.

But even that wasn't really my point, because I don't know how much the license for an echo is compared to an original; it was that I don't think the license in general was that expensive - for any of it - and that's one of the main reasons Castlevania may have been opted for, and why we got so much content.

I didn't specify one character was an echo and one character was original because for the sake of licensing costs, I'm not sure it matters.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
This has probably already been discussed before, but do you think, with the Famicom Detective Club remakes, Ayumi Tachibana may actually have a chance in the next Smash game?

On an unrelated note, I'm still hoping for a Shin Onigashima remake.
I feel like Sakurai might at least take another gander at Ayumi, but I don't think her chances are THAT impressive. That said, I've personally found it rather interesting that he claims how Ayumi's low international appeal was what was a roadblock for her to get into Melee. I sometimes wonder... DOES he have a moveset in mind for her already?

Speaking of Shin Onigashima, I'm STILL a bit shook over how Sakurai had to reluctantly shoot down the idea of Donbe and Hikari being playable in Smash due to the whole Japan-only thing. Maybe they can be ATs, I guess?

That reminds me, I’ve been wondering if it would be possible for the FDC protagonist to be an alt for Ayumi like with the WFT
I... feel like it'd be the other way around, wouldn't it? Taro would be the 'base character' while Ayumi would be the alternate skin?

If we get a remake of Shin Onigashima after the Famicom Detective Club remakes, there's only the logical thing left to do and that is to remake this.

---
Anyway, I'll wait and see what happens when the new Smash is finally announced and shown. Sure, Ayumi has more of a chance now, but will she get in? Only time will tell.
God, I still (partially) want Goku to join Smash for the Dragon Ball jokes. Bonus points if they somehow get Masako Nozawa to voice him.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, I don't dispute what you're saying, but it wasn't... what I was saying. I wasn't talking about development costs. Obviously echoes are cheaper to develop than original characters, and that could incentivize Nintendo to get a second license knowing development costs of the second character would be a fraction of the first. But the licensing cost for an echo may not be much if any different than that for an original character.

Even with an expensive license, like if they had licensed Cloud but also Zack to be an echo, it'd be the same principle development cost-wise. Zack would be considerably cheaper to develop. What may deter them from doing that, however, is the cost of licensing Zack on top of Cloud.

But even that wasn't really my point, because I don't know how much the license for an echo is compared to an original; it was that I don't think the license in general was that expensive - for any of it - and that's one of the main reasons Castlevania may have been opted for, and why we got so much content.

I didn't specify one character was an echo and one character was original because for the sake of licensing costs, I'm not sure it matters.
That's why I said I misunderstood your point.

Though yeah, I doubt it was that much even then. Though to be fair, the companies choose the songs in some cases, so some may not be expensive due to them just wanting to throw 'em at Sakurai. It's really Square-Enix stuff where it's different, but that's due to licensing being more complicated for them. It's easy to see why Capcom Co and Capcom USA gave lots of Music, same with SNK. In fact, isn't SE the only ones to ever get a low song count out of any 3rd party franchises? ...For fairly obvious reasons.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion.

StormC

Smash Hero
This has probably already been discussed before, but do you think, with the Famicom Detective Club remakes, Ayumi Tachibana may actually have a chance in the next Smash game?

On an unrelated note, I'm still hoping for a Shin Onigashima remake.
I'd say she has a chance, sure. Maybe not a particularly big one.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Going back to Shovel Knight, while I would still really like him to be playable, I think it's possible that Undertale/Deltarune is the new obvious choice for an indie series to go all out with, not just for the staying power it has had in general but with how much the Sans costume blew up.
Only issue is sans would canonically NOT be a fighter! That role would have to go to someone less lazy!
https://toby.fangamer.com/interviews/papyrus2/
In the second papyrus interview there is a question about this!

But yeah sans could be in as assist trophy, background character and mii costume!

So my guess for possible characters would be:
The Human (pretty obvious and can have a spare/ Fight MNechanic)
Flowey (The main mascot/ Villain of undertale)
Papyrus (Best choice for a skeleton unless gaster is one?)
Ralsei (Maybe the most likely fun gang member thanks to the no lightner merch mandate)
or Susie, Kris or noelle
Also maybe Undyne?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm pretty sure the original 12, almost every character from Melee excluding Young Link and Pichu, and most characters from Brawl, Smash 4 and Ultimate altogether may be safe.
That's a lot what you're saying here.

There's no real strong indicator here. I think all fan favorites from across the games are gonna be safe. Characters whom are actually requested, and hugely and steadily important to Nintendo as a whole.

Those are the characters I feel 100% confident in. Not the element of surprise characters, echoes, third parties, retro characters, overly gimmicky characters, you name it.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
I should point out again that the ballot performance for previously cut veterans is very weak evidence of future priority. For one, it doesn't tell us anything about how those characters measure up in popularity to the veterans which didn't get cut in 4.

But nor does it even really tell us Snake's current standing in the Smash community relative to Simon, now that Simon is in Smash. Even though Simon was at least eligible to be voted for on the ballot. Because the circumstances surrounding the ballot were basically optimal for cut veterans to perform well.

Tbh I'd actually be pretty shocked if Snake was prioritized more than Simon, but that's just me.
Obviously cut veterans performed exceptionally well in general because the fans are attached to characters already present in the game, but certain veterans performing better than others is pretty indicative of how well liked they are. We know Bayonetta ranked above certain veterans, and we know in-turn that Snake specifically was above Bayonetta overall. It'd be silly to say moveset wasn't a big part of that, ofc people will vote more for a fully unique character and series like Snake as opposed to asking for Pichu back, but I also think it's difficult to not acknowledge that a lot of the desire for Snake is because he's a beloved character from a beloved franchise. He's the character Everyone Is Here was built around who got the crowd cheers and the dramatic entrance.

In terms of specifically Snake vs Simon, I think the best indicator of that would probably just be playtime, in which case there's nothing but anecdotal evidence, but I would wager a decent guess that Snake is played more than the Belmonts.

Yeah, and I mean not to discredit Snake but I think generally seniority gives Smash characters an edge within the community. If you cut Jigglypuff now, people are gonna be upset right? But if you added Jigglypuff in Ultimate, and then cut her one game later... I think that'd be equivalent to cutting Plant, which most people are comfortable with. But if Plant was in 64... you get the picture. The "series staple" effect, a character's value is typically heightened by the fans if they were added in Brawl or earlier.

Snake is obviously a more popular character than these other examples of his own merit. He's the protagonist of a very successful series, so I'm not saying this popularity is exclusively founded in his role in Brawl. But I do think the mindset that breeds "[x] is more popular / has seniority" results in roster stagnation. I would be glad to welcome Snake back, but it would kind of suck to snip off a brand new series on the basis of seniority right (if it really had to come down to one)? The team seemed very excited to work with Castlevania, and the Metal Gear content was more or less the same from Brawl. So as far as series presence goes I get the impression that Castlevania may have a lot of room to grow.

Then again I probably wouldn't be so open to this "your turn" mentality toward like, cutting Mega Man, so I don't know. I just think we ought to be more fluid with guests, and we probably will have to be. I suppose since we lost Snake once before it's easier for me to accept losing him again.
I agree it's not good to prioritise legacy above all else, but I also think legacy being a pretty strong factor is understandable. Look at any other fighting game, I've brought this up before but Street Fighter 6's roster is built around a mix of entirely new characters and bringing back all the classic World Warriors who people are attached to and nostalgic for. Nostalgia might be a shallow reason, but it is a reason, and the fact that people might be attached to certain characters just because they're older doesn't change the fact that that attachment exists, I would say that applies to pretty much every fighting game. You need a healthy mix of newer characters and older ones.

But I think the bigger point is that I think Snake has way more going for him than just being a legacy character, and I'm not sure it makes sense to position it like he's tied too much into that even in the context of what you said about it not being exclusively founded in his Brawl role. Metal Gear is a massively popular and fondly remembered series which has just gotten a major revival, Snake is one of the most iconic and well-liked videogame protagonists. In a comparison between him and the Belmonts if you want to go that route, then Snake is I think undeniably the more popular character from a more popular series which is more important to its home company, and both now have major Nintendo releases. In the context of Smash itself, I would say that if anything the fact that Castlevania got so much content already means there's more you could do with Metal Gear getting a boost from its current legacy content. The only third-party series that significantly expanded in content going into Ultimate was Street Fighter, which was a DLC series, and I think that's more of an indication that the Smash team was less focused on expanding the content of the already included third party series overall. Even Mega Man's new assist trophies and cameos was just reusing the models already created for the trophies in Smash 4.

To be clear, I don't think it really has to be a "only one sticks around which is better" discussion, I'm only engaging more in that cause that's where the replies went, and my point overall was just that both of the Konami characters were really popular and seemed like they had a good shot of sticking around. I moreso I guess just want to say that I think sometimes the focus on retaining newer picks over legacy picks sometimes goes a bit far in the other direction I feel if that's the discussion, and doesn't necessarily recognise why some of the legacy characters have the attachment they do.

Though really, Snake has only been in two games and he was introduced in Brawl, I think he's only begun reaching the apex of Smash nostalgia recently lol.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

SPEN18

Smash Champion
certain veterans performing better than others is pretty indicative of how well liked they are
It tells you how well-liked they are relative to other cut veterans, but no, I don't think you get to extrapolate that too much further, again due to the conditions of the ballot practically guaranteeing that a unique, freshly cut vet would do well.

It'd be silly to say moveset wasn't a big part of that, ofc people will vote more for a fully unique character and series like Snake as opposed to asking for Pichu back, but I also think it's difficult to not acknowledge that a lot of the desire for Snake is because he's a beloved character from a beloved franchise
Besides Pichu being a clone, Pichu was also not in Brawl, which hurts it further. In any case I don't see how this helps us judge Snake; him beating out Pichu does not really tell us much.
Sure, people voted for Snake because they legitimately like him and his moveset. Nobody's denying that. But that also applies to every other character, so it doesn't really help us interpret the results.

He's the character Everyone Is Here was built around
I wouldn't say that. EiH is not about any particular character; it's 100% a package deal. It makes total sense that they would highlight the third party who got cut, the character with external conditions which might possibly have stopped EiH from happening. If it was any other third party instead, it would've been the same; again it's nothing unique to Snake.

In terms of specifically Snake vs Simon, I think the best indicator of that would probably just be playtime
I think they will take the online usage data into account, but there are pitfalls which apply to that as well which may lessen its importance. Usage is highly influenced by perceived strength and very unstable from game to game. It may not even be consistent with usage in the local multiplayer setting or in other game modes. I'm sure the team is well aware of such effects. In any case, as you say, we speculators can only comment anecdotally on that matter anyway.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace

supersmashbro99

Smash Rookie
Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
A Nintendo Direct is happening, guys!

"Join us for a #NintendoDirect livestream focused on #NintendoSwitch games coming in the second half of 2024!"

1718633225884.jpeg

Not sure what they could announce this late into the console's lifespan other than Metroid Prime 4 (which could easily make just as much of a tantalizing dual-console release on the Switch's successor) or like, another half-baked Mario sports title with free DLC adding content that should've been in the base game over time.

I'm personally hoping for Pikmin 4 DLC, but I don't think it's happening at this point, much less the things I actually want (QoL changes like an autolock toggle, new game plus, disabling rescue corps tips, etc).

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
What I totally, absolutely expect to show up in this Direct:
  • Switch 2 (I know they said they wouldn't show it but it's 99.9% a lie guys trust me)
  • Smash 6
  • Brand new F-Zero
  • New Star Fox
  • New 3D Mario
  • Banjo 3
  • Metroid Prime 4 AND 5
  • New Wario Land
  • Xenoblade X Remake
  • Bloodborne 2

What I don't expect:
  • Silksong

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'd almost be mad if this happened. The game finally gets the re-release it deserves...right as people stopped caring about the console.
If Switch 2 has backward capabilities, people can still care about the game at least since the new system can play it. Compared to what happened with the 3DS games at the end of the 3DS life and then releasing the Switch that can't play them.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m not sure how many people here have seen the first season of Arcane but the trailer for season 2 just came out and it’s looking really good so far. I wonder if the timing for the new season will boost the chances of seeing a character featured in the show make it into Smash.

Similarly, the new Sonic movie focusing on Shadow along with Sonic x Shadow Generations probably helps as well. Even Joanna Dark has a higher chance now than before with the new Perfect Dark trailer showing that the game is still in development.

Just a few random thoughts I had for characters I think could be cool that the timing seems to be lining up.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
This is a separate topic, but I've been reflecting on something maybe a little controversial about Kirby's representation thus far. Bandana Dee was probably not in a real position to be playable in Smash 4, and arguably hadn't reached that level by the the time Ultimate character selection began either.

His major appearances had been regulated to spinoffs after RTDL, or a supporting background role in Triple Deluxe and Robobot. He has never been an obvious addition up until now. Making him playable in Smash 4, a roster which was decided in 2012, would have been in response to his role in a single game as the fourth most important character. Not that much of a breakout role yet. Without the hindsight bias, it's easy to write this off as something of a filler pick for P4.

He had upgraded into Player 2 in Rainbow Curse, but his most significant supporting role didn't come until he was established as the defacto player 2 in Forgotten Land (a "mainline" title). Even Star Allies, where he slotted in among the "core four" once again, came too late to influence Ultimate's roster. And at that point arguably applies less exclusively to him, because of the addition of more Dream Friends later. However it's worth mentioning that Bandana Dee actually the first Dream Friend you can summon in this one, so perhaps he's become Kirby's true BFF at this point.

So when we talk about how this apparent no brainer Kirby newcomer missed the boat for the last two games... it makes a lot of sense, really. Going completionist on a Player 4 character in a single game would be kind of an odd thing to do. Now with Forgotten Land under his belt, not only releasing with more optimal timing for roster consideration but also propelling Bandana Dee into his most important role yet, there's real incentive for them to have that conversation. But the more I've thought about it, the more I really don't think anyone can fault the team for not immediately backing this character with fairly inconsistent main series roles, and before both Star Allies and Forgotten Land. Which, mind you, are also two of Kirby's biggest successes to date.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We probably gonna see a Zelda remake. And no Donkey Kong. Not quite sure about anything else.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
For most niche games in this situation, the alternative to coming out on a dying console is not coming out at all. The stuff that comes out under more favorable marketing conditions generally does so for a reason. I know it can be frustrating when the company doesn't invest in its titles the way you'd like, but let's please not be upset that X game didn't get "saved" for Switch 2.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
For most niche games in this situation, the alternative to coming out on a dying console is not coming out at all. The stuff that comes out under more favorable marketing conditions generally does so for a reason. I know it can be frustrating when the company doesn't invest in its titles the way you'd like, but let's please not be upset that X game didn't get "saved" for Switch 2.
And if the Switch 2 is actually backwards compatible, then I don’t think there’s really an issue at all if it’s released on the current console.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Nintendo direct prediction
FZero game
Starfox game
Metroid Prime 4
New Mario Party
Zelda TP and WW
Xenoblade X

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Why are people so worried about the Switch 2 not being backwards compatible anyway

I mean sure Switch 1 wasn't compatible with 3DS/Wii U games, but...it's not a dual-screen system and doesn't use discs. It should be obvious why.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm not expecting Xenoblade Chronicles X to come back, but if it does, I hope they make a tweak to the party system so you aren't pressured to use Elma, Lin, and, if you aren't playing the healer class, Irina for the entire game. I'm sure the idea was that they're the story characters so they need to be there for the story, but you can experiment when the story kicks you out and tells you to explore, but the story quests seem to be balanced around you keeping the same team members around throughout.

Also tweak those quests that send you to high level areas super early. A lot of them are fine, but the one in Oblivia (which I believe is a story mission) where you have to get into a Ganglion Base that's way too much for you to fight the one enemy that isn't is a bit too much. As is Hope Springs Eternal, which wants you to go to Caldros near the beginning of the game, which I'm pretty sure requires that you swim all the way around the land bridge to Sylvalum, Sylvalum itself, and all the way to the back of Caldros to even get in there because there are unavoidable enemies along the way that will one shot you.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Guys. I said "almost". Almost is not quite. There is no controversy. Let's not argue about it.
I don't think that they were getting at that, though. The point was about the game being released later in the console's lifespan, even though fans would most likely still be playing it if the next console is not released yet.

Top Bottom