• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Ivander

Smash Legend
In the current age of Smash newcomers i really dont know how they would go about putting a Detective Club character in there.

The main cast of the series arent as goofy or unique as something like say Ace Attorney or Professor Layton, they are just teenaged detectives, i dont know what you could do with them.
Even if it didn't get a character, there's nothing wrong with it getting a stage or else. Franchises shouldn't be forced to get a character to get a stage.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
We all know Bomberman is long overdue for Smash, especially as a Konami rep, but I kind of would also like to see Goemon get into Smash, with music from the Ganbare Goemon series, especially the SNES and N64 games.

I'd love to see Bill Rizer get into Smash, as well. We need remixes of the Jungle Theme, the Base Theme, etc.

On an unrelated note, if Leon (Resident Evil) ever got into Smash... do you think they could include Jill, Chris and Claire as alts? Because if they did, they could use their designs from their most known appearances. Leon could use his designs from RE2 and RE4, Jill could use her designs from RE1 and RE3, Chris could use his designs from RE1 and RE5, and Claire could use her designs from RE2 and Code Veronica.

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
I replayed Smash 4 after 3 or so years earlier today and holy **** does that game control better than Ultimate. I don't know how they fumbled the bag this bad, but even though Ultimate's mobility adjustments should theoretically make the game feel more responsive, it actually feels clunkier somehow. It's probably due to the wonky buffer system and the horribly long input delay Ult has + the Switch's native input delay. Still, I did not expect Smash 4 to feel so much better. Wow.

+1 reason why the next game shouldn't be an Ult port.

Last edited by a moderator:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I replayed Smash 4 after 3 or so years earlier today and holy sh*t does that game control better than Ultimate. I don't know how they fumbled the bag this bad, but even though Ultimate's mobility adjustments should theoretically make the game feel more responsive, it actually feels clunkier somehow. It's probably due to the wonky buffer system and the horribly long input delay Ult has + the Switch's native input delay. Still, I did not expect Smash 4 to feel so much better. Wow.

+1 reason why the next game shouldn't be an Ult port.
Yeah, the way the characters jump seems a bit too fast compared to previous games. That, and the taunts are too short/fast.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I'd like to see Mario and Luigi vs. Ryu and Ken vs. Simon and Richter vs. Kunio and Riki.
That would be a dream come (too good to be) true!

On an unrelated note, if Akira (Virtua Fighter) ever gets into Smash, they should not only use his designs from VF1 and VF2, but also, and I really CANNOT stress this enough, include music from the Virtua Fighter series. Just imagine Smash remixes of Jacky's Theme (VF1), Ride The Tiger, etc.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
On an unrelated note, if Akira (Virtua Fighter) ever gets into Smash, they should not only use his designs from VF1 and VF2, but also, and I really CANNOT stress this enough, include music from the Virtua Fighter series. Just imagine Smash remixes of Jacky's Theme (VF1), Ride The Tiger, etc.
I don't think they would add a playable character without any music from their home franchise anyway. Personally, I'd love a remix of Ai Wa Tsuienai in Smash.

I can also see him sharing his alt colors between his two iconic looks:

1711868781345.png 1711868789651.png

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Out of the retros, I honestly think the priority order would go something like:
:ultduckhunt: > :ultrob: > :ultgnw: = :ulticeclimbers:

Duck Hunt is Duck Hunt, don't need to explain that. Nintendo loves and I mean LOVES R.O.B.. Game and Watch and Icies both got in before the other two but I feel like their legacy isn't as strong and they don't get referenced as often as R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog. Would be shocked if any of them get cut on a normal roster though, feels like the kinda thing that'd only come up if we're getting like, idk, 30+ cuts or so?

I doubt it'd go that far but yeah, in all seriousness it'd be really bad for the community. And it wouldn't be a sound way to decide characters at all. Aannnnddd making your community so divisive on purpose would be damaging for the brand too. The good news is it's such a bad idea they probably wouldn't ever do that, unless Nintendo actually went insane or something lol

I wonder if they'd have to change the title to "Super Smash Bro." considering there's only one brother now.
For me it’s
:ultgnw:>:ultrob:=:ultduckhunt:>:ulticeclimbers:
i feel G&W is the most important due to the fact his edition represent entire game console that have sold more than 40 million
As for R.O.B. And duck hunt I think they are equally iconic and important with both of them involved in saving the gaming industry and both also represent pieces of game console being the zapper and r.o.b. Toy
Meanwhile Ice climbers generally doesn’t carry that weight of a legacy when it comes to retro rep but I assume the whole edition of it being playable in smash is due to double character gimmick if anything otherwise throw in Sukapon or Harry or Takamaru or Lip instead

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honest question.

Are there any more advertised NSO games that haven't been added aside from ahem Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru ?

Now that we have the F-Zero GBA game, I can't think of a single game that has been advertised and not released. There's still lots of missing GBA and GB/GBC games. The Genesis app is updated SUUUUUPER slowly and is still missing a ton. The N64 app has most of the first party games and is really only missing some Rare games like DK64, Banjo Tooie and Diddy Kong Racing.

The SNES and NES apps seem largely complete. They have virtually all of the first party games and while there are some strange omissions (Mach Rider, where are you?), most everything is there.

What do you think is next for the NSO apps? While the price tag was awful on release, nowadays I think the catalogue of games is impressive enough to be worth the price. I really hope they keep the apps and all the games on it on the next console. The apps seem like the best way to not have to wait to play the same old games AGAIN.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Honest question.

Are there any more advertised NSO games that haven't been added aside from ahem Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru ?

Now that we have the F-Zero GBA game, I can't think of a single game that has been advertise and not released. There's still lots of missing GBA and GB/GBC games. The Genesis app is updated SUUUUUPER slowly and is still missing a ton. The N64 app has most of the first party games and is really only missing some Rare games like DK64, Banjo Tooie and Diddy Kong Racing.

The SNES and NES apps seem largely complete. They have virtually all of the first party games and while there are some strange omissions (Mach Rider, where are you?), most everything is there.

What do you think is next for the NSO apps? While the price tag was awful on release, nowadays I think the catalogue of games is impressive enough to be worth the price. I really hope they keep the apps and all the games on it on the next console. The apps seem like the best way to not have to wait to play the same old games AGAIN.
It'll probably never happen, and I doubt either SEGA or Nintendo would be willing to do it, but if the next Nintendo console still lets us play games from older consoles… I think it’d be pretty cool if they not only kept in the Genesis library, but also brought in games from the Saturn library (E.G. Panzer Dragoon, Daytona USA, NiGHTS Into Dreams, Burning Rangers)

And then maybe the Dreamcast.

Anyway, to answer your question, I don’t think they added The Mysterious Murasame Castle. In fact, I don’t think it was even advertised for NSO.

EDIT: Nevermind, ignore that last message.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Anyway, to answer your question, I don’t think they added The Mysterious Murasame Castle. In fact, I don’t think it was even advertised for NSO.
Actually its been on the service for a few months now.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The retro / hardware weirdos are some of the characters whose odds I’m most conflicted on, but I think it’s a tough sell to convince me Mr. Game & Watch isn’t by far the highest priority. I’d be really surprised to see him get cut loose, due to a mixture of his popularity and legacy alongside his relative ease of development and animation.

I’ll stick my neck out for Ice Climbers a bit here too, because I think their gameplay mechanic is just a really valuable archetype / roster niche to maintain. When you contemplate which characters are the most distinct from one another and who is providing the freshest gameplay experience, Ice Climbers are near the very top.

ROB and Duck Hunt are more historically important, the latter has especially strong notoriety to boot, but Icies have a role to play on the roster all their own. It’s not the be all end all but I’m sure the former point would be a factor in consideration. Ideally none of these four really have to compete with each other but Ice Climbers do have a stronger case than I’m seeing some people give them credit for.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why isn't Smash 64 on it?!
Honestly? I don't know.

If I had to guess, copyright? But 64 and Melee should be easy to get the rights to. The hardest things would be what, Pokemon?

Actually, you know what? It's probably Pokemon.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
It'll probably never happen, and I doubt either SEGA or Nintendo would be willing to do it, but if the next Nintendo console still lets us play games from older consoles… I think it’d be pretty cool if they not only kept in the Genesis library, but also brought in games from the Saturn library (E.G. Panzer Dragoon, Daytona USA, NiGHTS Into Dreams, Burning Rangers)

And then maybe the Dreamcast.
We’re long overdue for Master System and Game Gear let alone Saturn and Dreamcast.

Though this one doesn’t feel like Nintendo’s fault, Sega just doesn’t like to acknowledge they made anything not named the Genesis/Mega Drive and occasionally the Dreamcast

Anyway, I hope NSO keeps highlighting lesser known old games, especially Gameboy and Gameboy Color ones as those consoles often feel ignored outside of the big hitters

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If I had to guess, copyright? But 64 and Melee should be easy to get the rights to.
...what rights? Smash 64 doesn't have any 3rd party characters. It's a pure Nintendo game.

Why would Nintendo have to get the rights to put their own game on their own service?

The hardest things would be what, Pokemon?
There's already Pokemon games on NSO.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
There's already Pokemon games on NSO.
I know, but Pokemon is notorious for how picky they are for releases.

They don't endorse rereleases often, and when they do, its usually stuff like Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Puzzle League of Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire and not mainline titles. If the issue really is copyright, I blame Pokemon.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
More accurately, Nintendo owns 1/3 of Pokemon. The other 2/3 are owned by GameFreak and Creatures, Inc. That means that in many cases, it has to be agreed upon by all parties. There are copyrights to deal with. This isn't as simple as people make it. Just calling it a Nintendo Product is completely wrong.

The Pokemon Company is the name of a specialized company they put together to handle Pokemon rights with employees from all 3 Companies. They actually decide on various usage rights when it comes to usage outside of a Pokemon Product specifically. Effectively, they work like a 3rd Party Company in that regard. This is why the costumes can often be very odd(like for instance, many Pokemon are barely allowed differences. Sometimes barely any color changes. That's why they added specific headpieces like a Party Hat when they could to get around this. Since it doesn't change their core recognizability. It's absolutely the same thing as why Sonic and Pac-Man aren't allowed any reasonable changes. Note that they have softened up slightly, as seen by having Pikachu Libre).

In fact, they didn't even allow official Shiny colors in Smash sometimes. It's really awkward. Another good example is Super Mario Maker, which didn't allow them to use the Pokemon sound effects at all for the Costumes. They were just general Mario sounds. It's far weirder than the other examples, since they were that picky.

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Might as well throw my 18 character roster into the ring.

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultpikachu:
:ultmarth::ultolimar::ultvillager::ultshulk::ultinkling::ultbowser:
:ultluigi::ultganondorf::ultcharizard::ultrobin::ultisabelle::ultpyra:

It was difficult deciding what franchises to give multiple fighters to. Mario is huge. Zelda deserves more than one, Pokémon has iconicity, and Animal Crossing is big.

Fire Emblem and Xenoblade got two characters because it wouldn’t feel right to just put them at one. One character just can’t represent the variety of these series settings and tones.

Kirby nearly got another character, but I prioritised Bowser.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
I'm imagining a "Smash reboot" with like... 18 characters. That's a pitiful amount compared to Ultimate but imagine all the other content that could be included. Basically a "what if" scenario where Smash was first made in 2024 with no prior past.
I'm sorry but a 18 character roster especially for $70 going forward would be an absolute embarrassment going forward. No amount of modes will ever make up this absymal gap.

What would could you realistically represent with small portion outside Main Big Wigs like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, AC, Splatoon and the Promotional Newbies like FE, Xenoblade, Arms?

If you going to full reboot then starting from Brawl's Roster as base + Newcomers would better fresh start. 38 + Whatevers new.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I don’t like heavily cutting down the Smash roster, it’s always unsatisfying, so instead I just made a tier list from most likely to return to most likely to be cut. This is not taking DLC into account. View attachment 387249

Some tough choices were made, some of which I may not even fully agree with, but I spent enough time debating myself already, so it is what it is.

Also hi! It’s been a while!
It’s nice to see another priority list here as these should be discussed more often when we talk about cuts given that the final roster is primarily influenced my time/budget.

If I’m ranking Icies and the surprise fighters (excluding strawberry Piranha Plant) in terms of priority, I think I’d go with something like this:
:ultgnw:>:ulticeclimbers:>:ultrob:>:ultduckhunt:

Barring Icies, they all are historically significant to gaming, but Icies make up for it with their unique gimmick, and they joined back in Melee, only being cut because of technical limitations in SSBFor.

Effectively, I just used SSB seniority to rank the characters in terms of priority as these four fighters honestly have good motivations to stay, so using SSB seniority reduces some of the headache. Icies beat out R.O.B. because of their unique gameplay.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Fire Emblem and Xenoblade got two characters because it wouldn’t feel right to just put them at one. One character just can’t represent the variety of these series settings and tones.
...what? There's only 2 XB characters NOW, in a roster of 80.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Ultimate had EVERYONE over the series history. That’s why dormant series had multiple characters. Times change, and my roster prioritises currently active series to get a good representation and depth of modern Nintendo.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honest question.

Now that we have the F-Zero GBA game, I can't think of a single game that has been advertised and not released. There's still lots of missing GBA and GB/GBC games. The Genesis app is updated SUUUUUPER slowly and is still missing a ton. The N64 app has most of the first party games and is really only missing some Rare games like DK64, Banjo Tooie and Diddy Kong Racing.

I agree with you that the NES and SNES app are pretty much "complete" imo. N64 is also fairly complete, but like you said I'm still expecting more Rare games like Banjo Tooie, DK 64, Diddy kong racing and Conker. Mischief makers could also be a nice addition but I think it's owned by Square Enix but I'm unsure. GBA feels the most incomplete, just on top of my head I know WarioWare twisted, Fire emblem sacred stones, Drill dozer, Mario golf and the Pokémon games are still missing.

For the next console, I really hope they don't reboot the app again. It was already very annoying to see the NES and SNES titles being drip feed in the early years on the Switch when the past consoles Wii U and 3ds had much more, I don't want to see that again.

As for the future of the app, at this point I don't really know how it will evolves more than that. I feel like Gamecube is out of the question and Nintendo will just release remaster and ports full price (or 40$ like Prime remastered). DS games would be fun but a lot of them would be really hard to adapt to a single screen console. Sega Saturn would be fun but I feel like it would be a licencing nightmare to get more recent consoles from Sega but who knows. Another idea I have is to add the Neo-Geo to play a bunch of SNK games, but again it could be a licencing nightmare but if there's one company aside from Sega that could be open for that it would be SNK (no, we're not getting a PSOne Switch online).

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Decided to make a tier list based who I personally think is likely to return.
View attachment 387266

Which brings me to another qustion; how would you guys feel if the next game had the veterans in the "Pretty much a near-guarantee" and "Likely to return" tier plus however many newcomers in the roster?
I think the veteran list would be good overall. I’d be a little confused about Pokemon Trainer or in the case of time constraints, Charizard’s absence, but it’d be nice to see Icies and Sora remaining on the roster.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 387266

Which brings me to another qustion; how would you guys feel if the next game had the veterans in the "Pretty much a near-guarantee" and "Likely to return" tier plus however many newcomers in the roster?
It's always weird seeing Bowser Jr. being prioritized over Rosalina. Like yeah he's more important in Mario, but very unremarkable in Smash. Rosalina has a unique playstyle and is actually a pretty popular character. And let's not forget who was their priority in SSB4; had Bowser Jr. not made it (which, according to Sakurai, was really close to happening) Rosalina would've been the fifth unique Mario character after the main four.

Anyways, I did something similar to this the other and since the thread brought it up I might as well post it.
IMG_0269.jpeg

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
View attachment 387266

Dark Pit being more likely than Lucina and Daisy is... a take

EDIT: wait wait wait why are Little Mac, Sheik, and Dark Samus less likely than Sora

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I don't really see how Gyromite is more notable than Ice climber. Ice climber sold more on the NES, and that's not even counting the numerous re-releases and the fact that the game had an arcade version. I also don't get why you say that Ice climber would be higher priority than Duck hunt despite saying that Duck hunt nes game was more notable than Ice climber. Imo Rob would be very low priority, and Ice climber mid priority, and Duck hunt and G&W would always be high priority.
Gyromite has the historical significance of being part of the NES Deluxe Set, which allowed Nintendo break out into the North American console market. That alone makes Gryomite worth highlighting. Ice Climber is mostly famous for being a pre-Super Mario Bros. Miyamoto game and for having simultaneous multiplayer in a multi-screen platformer, which is still historically impressive, but it's nothing compare to the NES Deluxe Set's influence.

In terms of Duck Hunt being lower priority than the Ice Climbers, the Icies just have a longer legacy with the Smash Bros. series and were promoted more heavily in Ultimate's marketing. Duck Hunt is the more important game for sure, but the characters in Smash are more than just their origins. That's why I'm pretty confident that R.O.B is not going anywhere barring 30+ cuts. He's just too popular and unique as a Smash character to forgo unless his inclusion comes at an extremely great cost.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It's kinda sad how many people fully expect Joker to be gone in the next game.

3 actually, Pyra and Mythra might share a spot on the select screen but they are counted as two different fighters, like Pokemon trainer.

As for the future of the app, at this point I don't really know how it will evolves more than that. I feel like Gamecube is out of the question and Nintendo will just release remaster and ports full price (or 40$ like Prime remastered). DS games would be fun but a lot of them would be really hard to adapt to a single screen console. Sega Saturn would be fun but I feel like it would be a licencing nightmare to get more recent consoles from Sega but who knows. Another idea I have is to add the Neo-Geo to play a bunch of SNK games, but again it could be a licencing nightmare but if there's one company aside from Sega that could be open for that it would be SNK (no, we're not getting a PSOne Switch online).
They'd have to do it on the next console because the Switch already has most of the major heavy hitting Neo Geo games as eshop titles.

ScrubReborn

Smash Cadet
Dark Pit being more likely than Lucina and Daisy is... a take
I mean from a technical perspective I kinda get it. He doesn't even require a very different model unlike the other two, which would make him easier to add I imagine. But yeah I don't think that's enough to put him a whole tier above them when all 3 are poster children of "quick n' easy".

It's always weird seeing Bowser Jr. being prioritized over Rosalina. Like yeah he's more important in Mario, but very unremarkable in Smash. Rosalina has a unique playstyle and is actually a pretty popular character. And let's not forget who was their priority in SSB4; had Bowser Jr. not made it (which, according to Sakurai, was really close to happening) Rosalina would've been the fifth unique Mario character after the main four.
I feel like this is a very common mistake in cut lists in general, not treating Smash incarnations as their own entity in addition to their main series roles. It's been proven main series prominence isn't everything since the day Jigglypuff outprioritized Mewtwo in Brawl. Junior the Mario character is an all-star but Junior the Smash fighter isn't.

Now I suppose one could argue "well that was a decade ago" but I feel like they're looking at Ultimate play statisics for Junior and not regretting that decision much.

EDIT: I think you forgot to include the Miis in your tier list.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Honest question.

The catalogue has gotten better, but I guess one of the issues I have that's not entirely their fault is the lack of some notable 3rd Party games. It's not entirely their fault because it's basically asking other companies to allow players to play some of their games for free and obviously, they would want to sell them for something like a collection rather than do that.
But that said, it still relies on Nintendo paying a license to those companies to release those games on their catalogue which depends on whether Nintendo wants to go through the trouble to license the game for their catalogue and depending on the company and game, could be either easy or hard.

But I guess part of what frustrates me is that some of them are probably not even planned for a re-release on modern systems and all that's keeping them from going on the NSO whether Nintendo wants to bother to get them or the other company is being stingy because of the "free" nature of the NSO. Which means the possibility of never seeing those games re-released not so much because they are hard to emulate, but because of not having a price tag, which sucks.
It doesn't help that I feel there's not much of an attempt to try and take advantage of the advertisement side of the NSO. Like yes, the Megaman Legacy Collection is on the Switch, so it makes sense on why Capcom wouldn't want to put the NES Megaman games on the NSO. But somebody who hasn't played any of the games or series might not get it even if it was on a sale since they don't know whether they'll like it or hate it to begin with and there's no demo to try. So Capcom could put one of the Megaman NES games on the NSO as a demo and advertisement for the collection, like Megaman 2, that can give more incentive for someone to buy the collection, whether full price or a sale, if they play and like the game.

I guess that's really my main complaint is the lack of 3rd Party titles, which I get why Nintendo would have an issue with getting them since it requires working it out with another company. And the company could be the one giving the issues compared to Nintendo not wanting to pay for the license.
That said, not all of them have been hard to deal with. I mentioned Capcom earlier for their reluctance on the NES Megaman games, but Capcom has probably been the most supportive company with the NSO, between three Ghost'n Goblins games, Gargoyle's Quest and Demon Crest, Breath of Fire 1 and 2, Megaman Wily Wars, Strider, Street Fighter II Championship Edition and technically Zelda Minish Cap and the Zelda Oracle games.

Anyway, for what the NSO service has given us, it has gotten much better than it had at the start and I hope we get some more titles soon and all I can really hope is that some of the 3rd Party companies become more willing to put their games on the service, especially the ones they don't plan on re-releasing on modern consoles, since I feel those titles they have nothing to lose on putting on the NSO.

Top Bottom