• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
While I don't think that will happen, I'd at least like an option to have 1 or a couple of tracks be freely chosen from a stage unto another stage. Just because there are some songs from a stage that would certainly fit better on another stage than on the stage it's on, like Mad Monster Mansion from Banjo-Kazooie on Luigi's Mansion or to allow some stages to have a bit more music in general, like the Boxing Ring, which could certainly benefit from a couple Street Fighter or King of Fighters songs being an option.
This is what I would like too, although maybe give around 4-5 free spots per stage would be a good compromise. I really want to put the Tetris music along with Mad Monster Mansion back in Luigi's Mansion, Freezeezy Peak on Icicle Mountain, and being able to trade music between the Mario Kart and F-Zero stages.

Also, and while I don't think this will ever happen, let us put our own MP3s into the game's music (which of course would be local only). First thing I'd do would be put Bury My Shell At Wounded Knee from TMNT: Turtles in Time into the Spirit Tracks stage.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
While I don't think that will happen, I'd at least like an option to have 1 or a couple of tracks be freely chosen from a stage unto another stage.
Honestly, you should have the option to set any stage's music to just one of your in-game playlists instead of the stage's normal track options.

I have one master playlist in Smash that's just all the songs I actually, ya know, like. And I'd love to be able to set it so that the game just plays random songs from that playlist instead.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
But the TOs don't which is what Gorgonzales was getting at. I can't imagine they'd ever actually bother to do that though so I don't think there's much that can be done for tournaments. :drshrug:
This. And I couldn't even find the option myself even when I was deliberately looking for it, so there's no way TO's would use it; it should've been enabled by default. If it was handled that way I don't think I'd have a problem with the feature.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
For music, I think another potentially good feature to have would be a more general playlist. You set up a list of songs you want to hear during matches as part of a preset (in the custom rulesets maybe?) Then during matches, it will only play songs from that list but can still apply to any stage.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Is there anyone who can help Del with this?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So here’s a topic I’ve been meaning to bring up: Smash Run’s arena. It seems that the majority are in favour on smash run returning but I’m curious as to what people want from the stage? The same as before? A brand new one? A selection of stages perhaps? Would you like to see some maybe themed on the game series in smash, areas where you take on hoards of enemies would be a good fit. Like the Sacred Grounds from Skyward Sword, Bonerattle Arena from Splatoon 3, any of the Team Star Zones from Scarlet and Violet. Even the Great Maw from Kingdom Hearts 2 would work with this theme.

any thoughts?

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
So here’s a topic I’ve been meaning to bring up: Smash Run’s arena. It seems that the majority are in favour on smash run returning but I’m curious as to what people want from the stage? The same as before? A brand new one? A selection of stages perhaps? Would you like to see some maybe themed on the game series in smash, areas where you take on hoards of enemies would be a good fit. Like the Sacred Grounds from Skyward Sword, Bonerattle Arena from Splatoon 3, any of the Team Star Zones from Scarlet and Violet. Even the Great Maw from Kingdom Hearts 2 would work with this theme.

any thoughts?
I want the classic arena (which I dub Leviathan Coliseum) since I consider it to be immaculately designed, plus a few more based on Smash's franchises. Three additional Smash Run stadiums seems like a reasonable amount.

I'd want the three other arenas to be based on Zelda, Metroid, and Mario (I'd also want the Mario one to include various areas from sub-universes like Yoshi and DK). These three franchises have a ton of material to work with, have distinct aesthetics, and would be well-suited to a mode like this (Metroid especially, like wow. The work is practically done for you).

Smash Run maps are so huge, I really never got tired of exploring that first one. Additional maps would just be icing on the cake.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

any thoughts?
If I had the choice, I'd bring back the old one and make a new one to go with it. Probably because that'd be more easier to do than what I think could have potential, but could also have alot of issues.
Which is have this randomly-generated map amalgamation of Nintendo areas that players explore on, fight enemies and whatnot with the in-game explanation being that aliens and an AI entity are invading all of the worlds in Smash Bros and outright taking pieces/areas/whatnot from them to try and create a brand-new world for whatever reason, resulting in the amalgamation maps that players explore and fight enemies on.

I mean, it wouldn't be the first time Sakurai had done something similar before. looks at the Aurum from Kid Icarus Uprising

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

any thoughts?
I'd love to have multiple maps, but I wouldn't want to have so many that the team loses the focus on the main Smash mode. I feel like 3 would be a fair number, but I wouldn't be mad if the mode is back with just one map again. I'm not against the idea that the map could be themed around different series, but I feel like having just Smash originals is fine since the enemies comes from Nintendo franchise either way.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So here’s a topic I’ve been meaning to bring up: Smash Run’s arena. It seems that the majority are in favour on smash run returning but I’m curious as to what people want from the stage? The same as before? A brand new one? A selection of stages perhaps?
Remade to look better and tons more enemies.

Needs FF and DQ enemies sooo bad.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It's amazing to me that a company that put out so many solid Mario Party games seemed to misunderstand the core concept when it came to the Smash variation. Just having the players move one at a time would have gone a long way to making that mode more tolerable.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
It's amazing to me that a company that put out so many solid Mario Party games seemed to misunderstand the core concept when it came to the Smash variation. Just having the players move one at a time would have gone a long way to making that mode more tolerable.
Not defending Smash Tour but to be completely fair, I don't think Nintendo (especially Wii U era Nintendo) really understood what made Mario Party good.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So I guess I'm alone in wishing that you could freely play any song on any stage? Aw...
I agree i wish this was a thing.

They do it in spirit battles but wont let you do it in free play, it's weird.

Not defending Smash Tour but to be completely fair, I don't think Nintendo (especially Wii U era Nintendo) really understood what made Mario Party good.
They wanted to emphasize commaradery and friendship when the fun in Mario Party is being a complete **** to your friends and family.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
It's still weird to me that Mario Party has almost no representation in Smash outside of a few trophies/spirits. It's not character material (I mean it can be, but I don't think they'd go for it) but I think we'd at least get a stage by now.

On a tangential note, I hope that Superstars made ND Cube realize how good classic Mario Party was and we get more Mario Party games like it. No cars, no Max-of-6-rolling dice, just a true Mario Party 9.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Mario Party taking a similar approach to Mario Kart would be pretty cool. Split the content in half of old Vs returning stuff.

3 classic boards
3 new boards
50 new mini games
50 old mini games

It would be a winning formula

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Mario Party taking a similar approach to Mario Kart would be pretty cool. Split the content in half of old Vs returning stuff.

3 classic boards
3 new boards
50 new mini games
50 old mini games

It would be a winning formula
For minigames, maybe, since you can only make 4 players duke it out in so many ways. But I really want all-new boards since the potential for those is near-infinite. If I want to play the old boards, I'll play Superstars or an older game.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
50% gen 1 Pokemon? That’s less than ultimate
Pokemon fans think anything that vaguely reminds them of Kanto is shoving all of Gen 1 down their throat. All of it. You better hope there aren't any grandpas who need coffee to get up in the morning, they're clearly just trying to reference Kanto.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Just came across this starter pack image thing I just found.

You guys think some of these are kind of true?
True in the sense that a lot of Fan Rosters do them? Yes. All of them.

True in the sense that Fan Rosters SHOULD do them? Yes.
Cutting half the FE characters is correct. Especially Corrin.
Adding BDW is correct.
You can never have too many 3P characters.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Pokemon fans think anything that vaguely reminds them of Kanto is shoving all of Gen 1 down their throat. All of it. You better hope there aren't any grandpas who need coffee to get up in the morning, they're clearly just trying to reference Kanto.
in fairness that is how TPC behaves

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
in fairness that is how TPC behaves
I'm more sick of the "anything that vaguely reminds me of Kanto=Kanto pandering" mindset than actual Kanto pandering at this point. Because at this point, it's not Gen 1 remakes with no post-Kanto mons except Meltan that are being treated like Kanto pandering. It's...acknowledging the region exists at all, even in a video that mostly focuses on newer mons.

Well that and most of Gen 9's Pokemon were bad enough to make me want to be a Genwunner. Thankfully I am too aware that Gen 5 added more than sentient inanimate objects.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Nah, I think those grandpas would need a cup of Joe-to.

Please laugh...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm more sick of the "anything that vaguely reminds me of Kanto=Kanto pandering" mindset than actual Kanto pandering at this point. Because at this point, it's not Gen 1 remakes with no post-Kanto mons except Meltan that are being treated like Kanto pandering. It's...acknowledging the region exists at all, even in a video that mostly focuses on newer mons.

Well that and most of Gen 9's Pokemon were bad enough to make me want to be a Genwunner. Thankfully I am too aware that Gen 5 added more than sentient inanimate objects.
so what you’re saying is you like what TPC does

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
True in the sense that a lot of Fan Rosters do them? Yes. All of them.

True in the sense that Fan Rosters SHOULD do them? Yes.
Cutting half the FE characters is correct. Especially Corrin.
Adding BDW is correct.
You can never have too many 3P characters.
Times are tough I'll admit. I would personally pref they kept as many FE archetypes available and sacrifice fan favorite appearances but that's bad business allegedly. So I guess we'll stick to 4 marths and lose the only dragon :(

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 386660
Just came across this starter pack image thing I just found.

You guys think some of these are kind of true?
Alright, I'm bored enough to go through some of these and weigh their subjective validity. Just assume I agree with the ones I don't touch upon.

Sonic observation is unfortunately true; we're either getting one of the three shown there next game, if at all. Way too many of us are treating a second Sonic rep as a given tbh

Meowscarada is less a wishlist character and more "the pokemon pick placeholder" for now, I'd say. It does have its fans (including me) but Gen X is getting shortlisted for that nice, round number.

Any roster that cuts characters but not Corrin would make me the big sadge, but you know this by now.

There's always the problem of how some of these irrelevant characters have unique playstyles that at the very least are the clear progenitors of certain archetypes within smash. Not saying you can't, but I dunno I think Shiek, Lucas, and IC's absences will be felt.

BWD is a fine pick for a fourth Kirby rep, but he's admittedly not my first pick.

This is an aside but it's insane to me that I'm still seeing people describe Steve and Banjo's chances as "up in the air" despite Xbox becoming more willing to put their stuff on other consoles by the day.

Noah and Mio are in a weird place because they're right in that it's not how XB3 combat works. Weapon switching is also something that can't be done mid-combat, and people try to work that into potential movesets a lot. I'm not saying they couldn't pull a Shulk again and do some creative libertying, but the more I play XB3 myself it feels like Noah and Mio are too important together not to have at the same time, yet too different to be able to put them in one fighter slot without serious compromise. At least we know what their alternate costumes would obviously be.

This image really starts fighting a losing battle with the last few lines. I do think we'll focus on first parties at least halfway through the base game of the next smash, but we've been soldiering towards caring more about the third party side of things more and more as the series goes on, especially since all the heavy hitters of Nintendo's legacy series are... pretty much in for the most part, even before Ultimate if we want to split hairs. Obviously the new Nintendo characters like Oatchi, Noah, etc. are ripe for the pickings, but in terms of "oh wow, they did that" moments, they're gonna have to look towards other companies for true all-stars.

And honestly, I still feel like none of the third-parties in Smash have a reason to be cut beyond liscening issues, and even that would only be limited to the FF and Sora. Like yes, you could cut Sephiroth and Sora instead of dealing with them again, but like dang who would really fill those gaps when they're gone? Obviously the dam has to burst at some point but I wouldn't be surprised if we started cutting some nintendo characters in favor of keeping more third-parties.

Of course, watch me say this and then Snake or whoever just gets uncermoniously cut again.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Times are tough I'll admit. I would personally pref they kept as many FE archetypes available and sacrifice fan favorite appearances but that's bad business allegedly. So I guess we'll stick to 4 marths and lose the only dragon :(
That’s my biggest issue with the Fire Emblem selection in Smash. The series has so many cool classes that could be made into fun fighters but we mostly just get lords. I know I’m in the extreme minority in my opinion for how I would have liked the FE roster selection so I won’t go into that again.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Here’s a question since we’re talking about Scarlet and Violet and Meowscarada: How much a factor do you think being from the latest entry of a series is if that game is several years old by that point? Another example is Alphen and Shionne from Tales versus Lloyd. As much as I prefer Shionne to Lloyd as a character, I’m not sure how much being from the latest entry matters if that game is no longer currently being promoted. It doesn’t make sense to feel obligated to promote the latest entry from a business perspective if it’s already years old. In Arise’s case, the recent DLC helps a bit but I’ve always been curious about that.

Top Bottom