• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Here’s a question since we’re talking about Scarlet and Violet and Meowscarada: How much a factor do you think being from the latest entry of a series is if that game is several years old by that point? Another example is Alphen and Shionne from Tales versus Lloyd. As much as I prefer Shionne to Lloyd as a character, I’m not sure how much being from the latest entry matters if that game is no longer currently being promoted. It doesn’t make sense to feel obligated to promote the latest entry from a business perspective if it’s already years old. In Arise’s case, the recent DLC helps a bit but I’ve always been curious about that.
it’s very difficult to judge. But at least for 3rd parties there doesn’t seem to be a focus on most recent games

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Every generation has a lot of Pokémon I like a lot but I have noticed that recent entries have a higher percentage of Pokemon that don’t really appeal to me. I wasn’t big on the Quaxly or Fuecoco lines. Meowscarada’s line is the only starter line I’ve really liked in the last few generations. Spidops is my least favorite bug type in a while. The gate legends aren’t quite as cool as many past legendary trios in my opinion either. The Baxcalibur line is my least favorite pseudo legendary line in the series. On the flip side, I really like both cover legends and a lot of the paradox Pokemon. Others like Ceruledge, Lokix, and Annihalape are great too.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Gen 10 and 11 will be out by then but tinkaton, it’s by far more popular
Is that true? I thought Meowscarada was really popular too. At least TPC seems to be promoting it quite a bit. I’d personally go for Ceruledge but Lokix and Great Tusk are around tied with it for my other favorites of the gen.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
If I had to pick a Gen 9 Pokemon it'd be Ogerpon, with Tinkaton and Slither Wing next in line. Was always a fan of the Pokemon that don't resemble any known animal and are more "creature/monster" than anything. Ogerpon would also be a great stance change character and could use multiple types.

I don't get people who want Goldengho just because it's pokemon 1,000. If like, Garbodor or Stantler or something was the 1,000th Pokemon, would you want that in? It feels like superficial selection criteria to me.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If I had to pick a Gen 9 Pokemon it'd be Ogerpon, with Tinkaton and Slither Wing next in line. Was always a fan of the Pokemon that don't resemble any known animal and are more "creature/monster" than anything. Ogerpon would also be a great stance change character and could use multiple types.

I don't get people who want Goldengho just because it's pokemon 1,000. If like, Garbodor or Stantler or something was the 1,000th Pokemon, would you want that in? It feels like superficial selection criteria to me.
Hey, Stantler and Garbodor would both be really unique Smash fighters. My friend is a fan of both so he’d be happy (if he played Smash).

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

The thing with Gholdengo is that it was specifically designed with being Pokemon 1000 in mind. Garbodor and Stantler would not exist as they currently are if they were Pokemon 1000 so the whole "but what if this was Pokemon 1000 instead?" thing doesn't hold up. It's a thing that TPC/GF themselves put importance on.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The thing with Gholdengo is that it was specifically designed with being Pokemon 1000 in mind. Garbodor and Stantler would not exist as they currently are if they were Pokemon 1000 so the whole "but what if this was Pokemon 1000 instead?" thing doesn't hold up. It's a thing that TPC/GF themselves put importance on.
That’s a good point too. Personally, I’m all for a completely random Pokemon making it into Smash even if Gholdengo doesn’t qualify as random as you’ve shown. A lot of my absolute favorite Pokemon would be seen as random from most people.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Luckily it's way too late for me to be a Genwunner. Like I said, I am too aware that Gen 5 added Pokemon that aren't Objectmons.
It’s not so much Objectmons that I don’t care for but the increased amount of Professionmons. I didn’t mind as much when it was just a few Pokemon here and there like Hitmonchan but now it seems like many more, including pretty much every modern starter, fit into this category.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It’s not so much Objectmons that I don’t care for but the increased amount of Professionmons. I didn’t mind as much when it was just a few Pokemon here and there like Hitmonchan but now it seems like many more, including pretty much every modern starter, fit into this category.
The joke is that Genwunners seem to focus exclusively on Objectmons, specifically those from Gen 5 when criticizing modern Pokemon. Not the jobmons, or mons that look like 5 minute Blender projects from Gen 9. Just the ice cream and trash bag.

But yes I do not like how many Jobmons there have been from Gen 7 onward.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I think object Pokémon work well as either Ghost, Electric, or Steel types. Ghost types are great to represent a spirit possessing an object like a poltergeist while Electric and Steel make sense for manmade Pokemon.
Fire type, a furnace would be obvious.

Dragon type with something like a giant train locomotive wyrm thing.

Poison could work as leaky pipes or an old toilet.

or even a Steel/Fighting big rig semi-truck.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Fire type, a furnace would be obvious.

Dragon type with something like a giant train locomotive wyrm thing.

Poison could work as leaky pipes or an old toilet.

or even a Steel/Fighting big rig semi-truck.
I always liked the idea of a Poison/Steel oil drum Pokémon. It could have an ability where it automatically uses the move Explosion whenever it’s hit by a Fire type attack.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
View attachment 386660
Just came across this starter pack image thing I just found.

You guys think some of these are kind of true?
So many of these complaints or the reasoning behind them are self-contradictory.

Lucario and Greninja shouldn't be cut because they're popular, but Meowscarda is being focused on as a Gen 9 rep too much despite its popularity. Somehow, 50% of Pokemon rosters are 90% Gen 1, but all rosters are also somehow adding Meoscarda and a lot of rosters somehow also keep one of Lucario and Greninja.

People need to stop culling Fire Emblem back to Marth and one other character, but somehow Roy is also being added often enough to be singled out as a character that should be cut due to irrelevance. This person also thinks there's a general issue with people adding characters that are irrelevant and important, but no one is giving poor Corrin a chance (also, most people aren't cutting him out of any spite).

People aren't willing to cut enough third parties, but Steve is constantly being cut even though he's the face of the best-selling video game of all time. It's also silly to have this theme of adding relevant and iconic characters while simultaneously advocating to cut most of the third parties.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don't have an issue with Object Pokemon that put a twist on the object or utilize it in an interesting way, instead of literally just being the object but alive.
For example, I like these:

But I'm not so much a fan of these:

Okay, you lost me there. Cofagrigus is in my top three favorite Pokemon ever along with Gengar and Golisopod. It makes perfect sense as an object to me because mummies are undead. A spirit possessing a sarcophagus is one of the object Pokémon that makes the most sense in my opinion. I don’t really understand what’s worse about it than Polteageist since they are pretty much doing the same thing with different objects.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't have an issue with Object Pokemon that put a twist on the object or utilize it in an interesting way, instead of literally just being the object but alive.

Cofagrigus slander detected.

You have earned one slightly jilted "how dare you."

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
People who are anti "grandfathering" are just misguided because we've all seen how important legacy and consistency are to Sakurai. He doesn't change characters to avoid alienating players, and, with the exception of ICs technical issues on 3DS, has never cut a character who appeared in multiple titles before. This of course won't be possible due to Ultimate bringing everybody back, but I still think more games = more likely. It's obvious that these characters forge their own identities and take on a different role in Smash itself. Their lack of main series relevance basically doesn't matter to Smash at this point. Plus, characters like Jigglypuff and Sheik have had perfect attendance since their Smash debut. In fact I'd go as far as to say everyone who was in Brawl and also returned in base Smash 4 has almost no chances of being cut.

Also, while we're on the topic of Pokémon, I'm revising my roster because I wasn't super satisfied with it and the Gen 9 Mon I settled on was Spidops. I know it seems kinda random but its anatomy is really unique, we don't have a bug fighter in Smash and it'd be the first non-bipedal Pokémon in ages. A bit of a surprise pick, but going for a fully evolved starter each time seems redundant. I also like the idea of breaking another so called "fan rule" and throwing people's expectations off because all the Pokémon talk has gotten super boring.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
There’s nothing wrong with object Pokemon
It basically depends on how they justify it. An object can be a good place to house a Pokémon design with deceptive tendencies. Palossand is a sandcastle monster that feeds on the souls of those that get too close to it. I think the problem lies in the few times they just shape a Pokemon around an item. For example, Vanilluxe is just... a cold creature that looks like ice cream, with not much else in its Dex entry.

Keep in mind that I slightly prefer the design of the latter to the former, but I completely understand why people give Pokémon such as the ice cream one the most flak.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
People who are anti "grandfathering" are just misguided because we've all seen how important legacy and consistency are to Sakurai. He doesn't change characters to avoid alienating players, and, with the exception of ICs technical issues on 3DS, has never cut a character who appeared in multiple titles before. This of course won't be possible due to Ultimate bringing everybody back, but I still think more games = more likely. It's obvious that these characters forge their own identities and take on a different role in Smash itself. Their lack of main series relevance basically doesn't matter to Smash at this point. Plus, characters like Jigglypuff and Sheik have had perfect attendance since their Smash debut. In fact I'd go as far as to say everyone who was in Brawl and also returned in base Smash 4 has almost no chances of being cut.

Also, while we're on the topic of Pokémon, I'm revising my roster because I wasn't super satisfied with it and the Gen 9 Mon I settled on was Spidops. I know it seems kinda random but its anatomy is really unique, we don't have a bug fighter in Smash and it'd be the first non-bipedal Pokémon in ages. A bit of a surprise pick, but going for a fully evolved starter each time seems redundant. I also like the idea of breaking another so called "fan rule" and throwing people's expectations off because all the Pokémon talk has gotten super boring.
I respect your choice and Bug is probably my favorite Pokemon type but you just had to pick the one Bug type I haven’t cared for in years when Lokix is right there. :4pacman:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
I respect your choice and Bug is probably my favorite Pokemon type but you just had to pick the one Bug type I haven’t cared for in years when Lokix is right there. :4pacman:
I don't know, I think Spidops' body could lend itself to a pretty unique moveset, looking at Lokix doesn't really give me a strong image. In other words I can see Spidops "dancing" but for Lokix that's not the case.

I can easily envision Spidops crawling, attacking with its multiple legs, weaving its web to trap/immobilize fighters or tether to the ledge. I never heard people talking about it before I did my research though so it's probably not an ideal choice lol. But I'd be lying if I said it wouldnt be a best case scenario for a Gen 9 Pokemon in Smash to me; most of the other ones I looked at made me cringe, or didn't leave an impression at all.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Is it still slander if I say Runerigus is cooler?
R.I.P. my Runerigus in my Shield Nuzlocke....
Runerigus is pretty cool too but it’s nowhere near Cofagrigus as far as my favorites go. So, yes. :4pacman:

I don't know, I think Spidops' body could lend itself to a pretty unique moveset, looking at Lokix doesn't really give me a strong image. In other words I can see Spidops "dancing" but for Lokix that's not the case.

I can easily envision Spidops crawling, attacking with its multiple legs, weaving its web to trap/immobilize fighters or tether to the ledge. I never heard people talking about it before I did my research though so it's probably not an ideal choice lol. But I'd be lying if I said it wouldnt be a best case scenario for a Gen 9 Pokemon in Smash to me; most of the other ones I looked at made me cringe, or didn't leave an impression at all.
Lokix has some really cool attack animations where it uses the extensions on its back to propel itself. You could work with for Smash for some interesting attacks. It’s also based off Kamen Rider/Power Rangers so you could play off that too. I won’t deny that Spidops does have a lot of great moveset potential too even if I’m not as big on its visual design.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

you've insulted my favourite steel type pokemon. i bid you good day sir

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Alright. I finally buckled down and made an image for my Smash 6 roster wishlist.

Obviously, it's EiH again. A bunch of new Echoes as well as some old ones shifted around. And a total of 100 unique Fighters.

Very nice. It is much, it being Everyone is Here again, but I am not complaining.

You should have Bob, though, as a Bub echo. :p

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Alright. I finally buckled down and made an image for my Smash 6 roster wishlist.

Obviously, it's EiH again. A bunch of new Echoes as well as some old ones shifted around. And a total of 100 unique Fighters.

That's a lot. Weirdly the echoes are the best part of this roster in my opinion. I don't really care about the newcomers.

Also, why on earth would they separate Pokémon Trainer and Pyra/Mythra? That defeats the entire point of those characters.

Top Bottom