• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think the Wario series should get another character. Besides the fact that Wario himself not being classified as a Mario character is a bit odd, I don't see what any of his Ware friends could bring to the table in terms of moveset potential. I'd love Captain Syrup to join, but let's be realistic.

And no, Waluigi doesn't count as a Wario character at all. They're paired together in the spinoffs, but that's it. Waluigi never appears in Wario's games. Kinda like how Birdo never appears in Yoshi's, or Daisy in Peach's.

When it comes to Mario subseries that should get another character, it's totally Luigi's Mansion. With just three entries, it's sold more copies than Wario's whole extensive collection of platformers and microgame collections. King Boo is particularly interesting, as he's a character with a unique body type, plus he is a ghost, which Smash doesn't have any of, and has a plethora of distinct abilities. He'd also bring in another villain, and a really famous one at that... the Boo species is one of the most popular and well known Mario enemies, after Goombas, Koopas and Piranha Plants. If not the ghostly king, it could also be Professor E. Gadd using his various gadgets... but I don't see that as very likely.
I do think Wario Ware, in particular their recent success, has earned another character. Several smaller characters have earned multiple characters (Earthbound, Kid Icarus).

And the obvious Wario character would be... Ashley. She's the Isabelle of Wario Ware. The most popular character by far and Nintendo has noticed. She's gotten several advertisements dedicated to just her. Her raw popularity is enough to bring her into consideration. As for moveset potential, she's a witch with a devil familiar. She's had some Shmup minigames. There's a lot of potential in those ideas alone. Personally Ashley (and Wario Ware as a whole) is my dark horse pick for the next Smash game.

That said, I'd totally be down for more Luigi's Mansion content. I'd love a new stage and King Boo would probably be one of my most played characters. Love that guy.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
9 Volt has plenty of moveset potential the concept I'd like for him would be something like an actual gamer/Nintendofan in Smash. Have his moveset reference his love for Nintendo hardware like using the Powerglove or Virtual Boy in some fashion. I'd have to think about it because he's not necessarily a character I'm clammoring for anyhow.

Ashley would basically be a caster and those two ninja girls could be like Ice Climbers meets Ninjas if you really wanted to put them in. Plenty of that cast has moveset potential.

That being said I'm still dumbfounded that Waluigi hasn't made his way into a Warioware game at this point. Sure everyone can take any opportunity they can get to **** all over Waluigi but it seems to me like incompetency and lack of vision on Nintendo's part. I'd want Waluigi to be a part of Wario's sub-series if he were to get into Smash on account of them being besties and Waluigi having a name that starts with W.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I don't think a dedicated Ware rep would be unwarranted with its long library of solidly-performing titles (esp. for the budget), but I'm not sure if anyone is the clear best choice. Tbh I always liked Jimmy T and Mona better than Ashley; Ashley is perhaps the only one with the popularity to make a splash, but I feel Jimmy T and Mona are better-fitting for the series overall. And it's probably more a personal gripe than anything at this point, but it also bothers me that Ashley isn't in the original Mega Microgames. So, yeah, kind of a tough situation, personally. I don't think a Ware rep is particularly likely for next game, but it's got a fair shot as a series that gets consistent, if lower-profile, releases.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Pretty indifferent to a Wario Ware character. They're all funny guys and girls but they're not the kind of characters I die to see in Smash, they add a lot of flavour to WW games but carrying a whole set of moves in an action game is a little beyond what they were designed for, I think. Ashley is popular and as a mage she'd have no trouble filling out a Smash moveset I think, but she's a little removed from Wario Ware's main theme: zany minigames where wild and random stuff constantly happens. I think the character to best represent that would be Mona, with all her odd jobs, but I also kinda can't see her getting in...

Anyways. Aside from all that stuff, my pick would be Orbulon.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So last night, I played Smash Run for the first time in yonks. We desperately need this mode back because it was basically unplayable.

Not because Smash Run is bad, but because playing Smash on the 3DS is very painful. I got used to it back in the day but I haven't played in so long, trying to get used to that game again is going to hurt, I don't know if I want to put my 3DS through it

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
So last night, I played Smash Run for the first time in yonks. We desperately need this mode back because it was basically unplayable.

Not because Smash Run is bad, but because playing Smash on the 3DS is very painful. I got used to it back in the day but I haven't played in so long, trying to get used to that game again is going to hurt, I don't know if I want to put my 3DS through it
Smash 3DS isn't that bad to play for me. If anything, it takes more toll on the 3DS than my fingers (my poor 3DS XL Circle Pad had to be super-glued back on). But yeah, Smash Run was the best singleplayer experience in the series and I'd love for it to be brought back and for it to become a banger multiplayer experience as well.

I'm envisioning local multiplayer for Smash Run being splitscreen, which is funny to think about because splitscreen would be a Smash first. It's probably the only way to make something like Smash Run work for local multiplayer, anyway, since the blast zones function like Subspace and lock in place whenever you get into a fight.

I've been getting a mighty itch to play Smash Run too recently but I can't find my 3DS charger :/

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
My take on Wario characters is such:

There are many characters, in both Wario Land and WarioWare, that could make really cool Smash Bros characters. Ashley is... pretty low on that list.

She's not a bad choice in a vacuum, no, but when I look at Mona, or Jimmy T. or Orbulon, or even 9-Volt, Ashley just falls kinda flat to me.

Basically, it's the old "this is nice but I love this" meme

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I pretty flexible when it comes to WarioWare characters, I wouldn't be opposed to most of them. My ideal choice would be one of Jimmy, Mona, Ashley and 9-Volt.

The series I actively want them playable in though is Mario Kart. I feel like Mona especially would fit right in, she already rides a Bike.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I pretty flexible when it comes to WarioWare characters, I wouldn't be opposed to most of them. My ideal choice would be one of Jimmy, Mona, Ashley and 9-Volt.

The series I actively want them playable in though is Mario Kart. I feel like Mona especially would fit right in, she already rides a Bike.
Agreed, if I would want to push the Warioware characters for anything it'd definitely be Mario Kart. That series has so much untapped potential its criminal. I'm glad they've been... kind-of inching their way into including more characters from Mario sub-universes like how Dixie Kong and Poochy are in Tour, but these are baby steps. I'd love to see them go all-out next game, with characters like K. Rool, E. Gadd, Captain Syrup, and some Warioware characters.

Mario Kart in general could be so much more and I really hope they take advantage of Mario's wide universe next game. The Yoshi's Island course in MK8DX is proof of how fantastic this kind of stuff can be.

1710252209832.png

Art credit goes to Chronova01 on Deviantart.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Who’s ready for no final Spirit Event yet again? :4pacman:
Considering it's a tourney week? A sucker's bet.

The real bet is whether the amiibo tourney merely altered the order and we're getting the Byleth themed tourney this week or if it flat out took that tourney out of the queue and we're getting the Smash Ball themed tourney this week.

My guess is the former since the amiibo tourney would normally be five tourney weeks ahead in the queue.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
I’m not chomping at the bit and foaming at the mouth about the spirit event, it’ll come when it comes. But I am legit curious about what the hold up is. The first three came out at a consistent basis. What changed?
We were supposed to get the last Spirit set on the week of the 22nd....

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I’m not chomping at the bit and foaming at the mouth about the spirit event, it’ll come when it comes. But I am legit curious about what the hold up is. The first three came out at a consistent basis. What changed?
They must’ve used something from deviantart again just like with the Masked Man :4pacman:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's either because it's for an upcoming first party title and they're simply waiting for it to come out, or its for a third party franchise and they're still trying to negotiate for the Spirits.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's either because it's for an upcoming first party title and they're simply waiting for it to come out, or its for a third party franchise and they're still trying to negotiate for the Spirits.
Why would you schedule an event if you never had the rights to begin with? That sounds ludicrous.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The final Spirit in SSBU...is YOU. Unfortunately, the method they have to use to make Galeem real and able to turn the whole population of Earth into JPEGs is a lot more complicated than they initially thought, not to mention what they have to do to make the Warp Star real so Sakurai can escape the Galeem beams.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
... I don't see what any of his Ware friends could bring to the table in terms of moveset potential.
I'm with you on a lot of that but not this can we please not because seriously half the characters in Smash had moves invented just for Smash and they work fine it's not a REASON to discourage a character's support.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Does anyone know where I could find a picture or gameplay of every Mario maker stage variant in smash ultimate? I can’t seem to find it
There might not even be one. I think there was something about how the Mario Maker stage is randomly generated for the most part and has over 1,000 or more different variations.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
The final Spirit in SSBU...is YOU. Unfortunately, the method they have to use to make Galeem real and able to turn the whole population of Earth into JPEGs is a lot more complicated than they initially thought, not to mention what they have to do to make the Warp Star real so Sakurai can escape the Galeem beams.
This would give me the slightest chance of meeting Nia from Xenoblade...its worth it.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Agreed, if I would want to push the Warioware characters for anything it'd definitely be Mario Kart. That series has so much untapped potential its criminal. I'm glad they've been... kind-of inching their way into including more characters from Mario sub-universes like how Dixie Kong and Poochy are in Tour, but these are baby steps. I'd love to see them go all-out next game, with characters like K. Rool, E. Gadd, Captain Syrup, and some Warioware characters.

Mario Kart in general could be so much more and I really hope they take advantage of Mario's wide universe next game. The Yoshi's Island course in MK8DX is proof of how fantastic this kind of stuff can be.

View attachment 386362

Art credit goes to Chronova01 on Deviantart.
I honestly want to see everyone is here treatment with Mario kart and that includes bringing back R.O.B. and namco characters from Mario kart arcade GP and Robo Mario

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Hey talking about the final Spirit event... how long does it usually take for them to be added to normal rotation? I missed the Pokémon one.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Something to note; Wario isn't odd for being classified under his own series. WarioWare is completely different from Super Mario. That's odd if it's just referring to Wario Land, but the other one really has nothing in common with Mario at that point. Yoshi has some oddities(though by Yoshi's Story, it did separate itself pretty heavily. And it kept going that way).

He was only classified under Super Mario as a Trophy before WarioWare became a thing. When your debut game is literally a Mario/Wario combo game, he really didn't separate himself by that point. But him being classified as his own series while blatantly representing that series wholesale? Yeah, uh, there's no oddities here. Now there is an oddity in at least one stage falling under the Yoshi label, but that was at least a weird case and re-classifying a stage is a lot different from a Trophy or Spirit(but only due to a special context). Hell, even Waluigi got mistaken as a WarioWare character during the early trailers but was fixed for the final game. Oddities exist. WarioWare being its own series really isn't one.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I honestly want to see everyone is here treatment with Mario kart and that includes bringing back R.O.B. and namco characters from Mario kart arcade GP and Robo Mario
I don't need everyone back, just the good characters (i.e. everyone except clones like powerup variants or metal characters. or baby rosalina)

I don't think Everyone is Here as a concept really works for many other games outside of Ultimate's context. For MK I don't think everyone returning would be that big of a selling point, I want to see new faces in this series more than ever and I feel a lot of people see it the same way.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
I'm with you on a lot of that but not this can we please not because seriously half the characters in Smash had moves invented just for Smash and they work fine it's not a REASON to discourage a character's support.
Yeah you're right, they could definitely have movesets made up that could be unique but... is it okay to say I personally don't see it? Most Smash movesets that rely on creative liberties are sensible and make sense for the character (C. Falcon being fast and flashy, Sheik being sneaky and ninja-like, etc.) but for the Wario characters... I don't see what they could do. Jimmy T could be the fabled "rhythm character" but that's a niche that could be covered by the infinitely more popular Pauline or the long overdue—according to some—Chorus Kids.

The irony in being all for Pauline and yet trying to shut down the WarioWare cast over "moveset potential".

Talk about hypocritical.
???

Pauline is a clear bias pick for me. All four human Mario girls were a huge part of my childhood and I'd love to see Pauline join the others in Smash.

However I'll be the first person to say her moveset potential doesn't seem super exciting or even feasible. I can't really envision her moving around in that tight dress.

Only thing she objectively has going for her is being semi popular. And if Sakurai thinks of sone genius singing mechanic.

No hypocrisy.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
re: WarioWare

Ashley has the most clear cut potential, and is by far the most popular. She's got a strong presence in Smash already (AT, Mii Costume, 4 star spirit battle, her theme is remixed twice over...) and however minimally seems to have stretched beyond the confines of her series into the greater Nintendo-sphere the most effectively due to Ko Takeuchi's expressive love for the character. Maybe most importantly, she's just a strikingly fresh character in the context of Smash. We don't have that many magic users, let alone magicians or spellcasters. Ashley is a witch, a type of character currently absent from the roster, and with the lens of being a WW character would bring with her a great deal of cartoony silly flair and quirky effects. I'm not sure how highly I'd place Ashley on my own "most wanted" agenda but she's bursting with fun opportunity if they ever felt so inclined to take it. It would definitely require quite a few liberties, but not unlike Sheik or Incineroar's "ninja" or "wrestler" structures respectively I think a simple "witch" role is an unexplored one that already lets the mind wander.

Also just to save face, :ultbayonetta1: is obviously not the kind of witch I'm talking about here lol.

Mona and Jimmy T are more eccentric, they would pull out wacky props from odd jobs or make silly dance poses respectively. I really like these two and I'd gladly welcome them to the fray, but I'm unsure they provide the same amount of exciting gameplay opportunity as Ashley would relative to others who fulfill similar goals already (Game & Watch, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer etc). Meanwhile, 9-Volt is really an idea I could never get behind. Referencing a bunch of Nintendo games doesn't really add so much to Smash Bros when all those games are represented sufficiently through other characters and items. He's a character who is able to stand out in the context of his series but not so much here, so I really don't like this idea.

Then you have characters like Orbulon, or Penny, and I think these characters would be great but do struggle a bit put up against more popular faces, those who have been around longer or those with more direct inspiration. I would kill to play as either of these two, maybe even more than any of the other ones I mentioned, but for Orbulon I feel like you'd have to make nearly everything up and Penny... I unno, she just lags behind the others a bit. She doesn't have the seniority of Mona / Jimmy / Orbulon / 9-Volt nor the popularity of Ashley, although I've noticed her climbing up a bit. And she had a strong presence in Get It Together, so I unno maybe she's a little bit of a dark horse candidate among the pack. I hope her theme song makes it in at least.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Don't forget that Ashley also had an Official April Fools event dedicated to her.
C8SQskeUwAAQv6V.jpg

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
re: WarioWare

Ashley has the most clear cut potential, and is by far the most popular. She's got a strong presence in Smash already (AT, Mii Costume, 4 star spirit battle, her theme is remixed twice over...) and however minimally seems to have stretched beyond the confines of her series into the greater Nintendo-sphere the most effectively due to Ko Takeuchi's expressive love for the character. Maybe most importantly, she's just a strikingly fresh character in the context of Smash. We don't have that many magic users, let alone magicians or spellcasters. Ashley is a witch, a type of character currently absent from the roster, and with the lens of being a WW character would bring with her a great deal of cartoony silly flair and quirky effects. I'm not sure how highly I'd place Ashley on my own "most wanted" agenda but she's bursting with fun opportunity if they ever felt so inclined to take it. It would definitely require quite a few liberties, but not unlike Sheik or Incineroar's "ninja" or "wrestler" structures respectively I think a simple "witch" role is an unexplored one that already lets the mind wander.

Also just to save face, :ultbayonetta1: is obviously not the kind of witch I'm talking about here lol.

Mona and Jimmy T are more eccentric, they would pull out wacky props from odd jobs or make silly dance poses respectively. I really like these two and I'd gladly welcome them to the fray, but I'm unsure they provide the same amount of exciting gameplay opportunity as Ashley would relative to others who fulfill similar goals already (Game & Watch, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer etc). Meanwhile, 9-Volt is really an idea I could never get behind. Referencing a bunch of Nintendo games doesn't really add so much to Smash Bros when all those games are represented sufficiently through other characters and items. He's a character who is able to stand out in the context of his series but not so much here, so I really don't like this idea.

Then you have characters like Orbulon, or Penny, and I think these characters would be great but do struggle a bit put up against more popular faces, those who have been around longer or those with more direct inspiration. I would kill to play as either of these two, maybe even more than any of the other ones I mentioned, but for Orbulon I feel like you'd have to make nearly everything up and Penny... I unno, she just lags behind the others a bit. She doesn't have the seniority of Mona / Jimmy / Orbulon / 9-Volt nor the popularity of Ashley, although I've noticed her climbing up a bit. And she had a strong presence in Get It Together, so I unno maybe she's a little bit of a dark horse candidate among the pack. I hope her theme song makes it in at least.
I think you forgot Kat and Ana.

Top Bottom