• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Technically, Epona does have a personality and dialogue in exactly one game: Twilight Princess. Wolf Link can talk to most animals in the game and Epona herself is among them.

She only has two lines of dialogue, but they establish her as being both loyal to Link and worried for his well-being, as she recognizes him but usually asks him to return to his human/hylian form as soon as possible.

That's still ultimately only one game that explores her much as a character, though.
Technically 2 since Epona also talks in Minish Cap, mainly to sell you Lon Lon Milk to lighten her cart but yeah....

I don't know how some people will consider what I'm writing now, but with Mr. Game & Watch being the personification of all the characters from the Game & Watch series, R.O.B. to be a toy robot accessory for Gyromite and Stack-Up, Duck Hunt Duo to have moves inspired by two other games as well (I mean Wild Gunman and Hogan's Alley of course) and Wii Fit Trainer to symbolize fitness games ( (although that's not really the case), I was thinking something about non-video game characters that are related to Nintendo as newcomers in future Super Smash Bros. games. Here are the following:

View attachment 385454View attachment 385455
Daitouryou and Tengu (Nintendo hanafuda cards): Even though I put Daitouryou I think he shouldn't come because he portrays Napoleon where he was a real person, so Tengu stays and could with his appearance in the Super Smash Bros. series symbolize what he started Nintendo when it was founded on September 23, 1889 and his movements were based on the hanafuda cards and maybe others that Nintendo had tried such as taxis or electrical appliances.
This brings back memories of BluePikmin, miss that bro...

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I'll make my series by series predictions/ramblings when I have more time, but one thought I've had... What if the next game is just the full Ultimate roster, no newcomers, but they go all-in on single player modes?
A full Adventure mode, individual Break the targets etc... I'm not sure how well it would go with general audiences but if the trailer is sufficiently hype I guess very much?
Bleh, just do a DLC pack of single player in that case.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'll make my series by series predictions/ramblings when I have more time, but one thought I've had... What if the next game is just the full Ultimate roster, no newcomers, but they go all-in on single player modes?
A full Adventure mode, individual Break the targets etc... I'm not sure how well it would go with general audiences but if the trailer is sufficiently hype I guess very much?
Honestly I don’t think I’d buy a whole new game just for this.

Even if it’s only a few, the lifeblood of any smash is the new characters. Without that I’m just not that interested.

Ivander

Smash Legend
As much as I want more single player focused content, I don't think it'd be worth making an entirely new game for no new characters, even if it keeps all of the characters from Smash Ultimate.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
At that point, you might as well add that level of single-player content to Ultimate as is.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
I really think a lot of people forget how much newcomers are a big part of Smash marketing, even for Ultimate.
I mean, people seem good-willed towards a heavily reduced roster with a full Adventure mode. That doesn't seem like a step all that far.

But yeah it could just be DLC for Ultimate

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I mean, people seem good-willed towards a heavily reduced roster with a full Adventure mode. That doesn't seem like a step all that far.

But yeah it could just be DLC for Ultimate
They can still have newcomers to market on a smaller roster. A game whose premise is having no newcomers...well...

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Double Post
Adventure mode sounds nice, but no newcomers? That would just suck hard. Basically a middle finger to everything that has come out since Ultimate released. General audiences would be initially excited but lose interest not much after.

It would make Ultimate less special and irrelevant and this new game feel lazy and stuck in the past.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I don't think we can possibly go under double-digit newcomers in this next base game. Skimping on newcomers in order to keep the roster as close to Ult as possible is like the exact opposite of what's going to sell this as a new experience.
As much as I agree that a somewhat scaled-down roster could make for a good opportunity to amp up the singleplayer experience, improve the online, go further with the moveset updates in the places where it's necessary, and so forth, I think I'd prioritize a healthy crop of newcomers before all of that.
Especially at this current junction. There's too many characters who I would consider sorely missing from their franchises' casts, and also plenty of brand new franchises I'd like to see enter the fray.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
am i too late to post my list? i'll do it anyway

:ultmario:: Toad
:ultlink: : anyone really but i'll go with Impa
:ultpikachu:: I'll just go with my favourite Typholsion
:ultdk:: Crank Kong
:ultkirby: : Bandana Dee
:ultinklingboy: : Octoling
:ultsora:: Riku
:ultsonic: : Tails
:ultsamus: : E.M.M.I.
:ultshulk: : Rex
:ultmarth: : Claude
:ultcloud: : Cecil
:ultbanjokazooie: : Grunty
:ultvillager: : Tom Nook
:ultyoshi: : hmm Poochy?
:ultolimar: : erm Alph? no Otachi! no, ah!
:ultpacman: : I'd go with Blinky
:ultminmin : Ninjara
:ultjoker: : Yu from 4 maybe Jack Frost
:ultgunner: : Chibi-Robo? no? worth a try

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
:ultmario: Toad.
:ultdk: Dixie Kong.
:ultyoshi: Should just be a Mario character lmao.
:ultwario: Captain Syrup.
:ultlink: Wolf Link and Midna.
:ultpikachu: Primarina or Meloetta.
:ultkirby: Magalor.
:ultfox: Krystal
:ultshulk: Nia and or Mio
:ultsamus: Just rework Samus.
:ultmarth: MINERVA SWEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!
:ultinkling: Octoling.
:ultvillager: Redd.
:ultolimar: Oatchi and Shepherd.
:ultpit: Hades.
:ultness: Kumatora.
:ultfalcon: Literally anyone who isn’t Black Shadow.
:ultlittlemac: Aran Ryan.
:ultminmin Dr. Coyle.
:ultwiifittrainer: Matt.
:ultsonic: Classic Sonic and Tails.
:ultsnake: Raiden
:ultmegaman: Zero.
:ultcloud: Bartz.
:ultryu: Guile.
:ultbayonetta: Cereza
:ultsimon: Alucard
:ultjoker: Adachi.
:ulthero: Slime.
:ultbanjokazooie: TJ Combo.
:ultsteve: Enderman.
:ultkazuya: Eddy Gordo the GOAT!
:ult_terry: Nakoruru.
:ultsora: Donald.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
People who are unironically predicting Alear either don't play Fire Emblem, or are too caught up in made-up fan rules. Probably both. Most people are predicting them because "obligatory FE shill pick" or as a means to include some FE classics who missed their chance (Lyn and Celica come to mind). However, as someone who played through Engage, I have to say it really doesn't deserve a place in Smash's FE lineup.

Engage didn't garner nearly the same amount of hype as Three Houses, and surely didn't enjoy the same praise. It also doesn't help that Engage's character designs and writing have been heavily criticized. The game also kinda missed its chance, timing-wise. I doubt an early 2023 game would be on Sakurai's radar by now (given that Smash 6's project plan was very likely crafted in late 2023). Especially considering that Smash 6 is looking to be a 2026 release a the absolute earliest. Alear will be old news by then.

Also, I say this as a big FE fan, but Corrin and Byleth really should've taught Sakurai a lesson. Including the main character from the latest game every time isn't going to get a good reaction, especially if said game wasn't very well-received.

Speaking of, I'm tired of Smash's "just go for the main character" approach when it comes to the FE picks. Robin was so fresh and felt like what FE needed to diversify its Smash cast, before the cast was even repetitive and monotone. Going for the less obvious pick can result in miracles. Robin really was ahead of their time.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
People who are unironically predicting Alear either don't play Fire Emblem, or are too caught up in made-up fan rules. Probably both. Most people are predicting them because "obligatory FE shill pick" or as a means to include some FE classics who missed their chance (Lyn and Celica come to mind). However, as someone who played through Engage, I have to say it really doesn't deserve a place in Smash's FE lineup.

Engage didn't garner nearly the same amount of hype as Three Houses, and surely didn't enjoy the same praise. It also doesn't help that Engage's character designs and writing have been heavily criticized. The game also kinda missed its chance, timing-wise. I doubt an early 2023 game would be on Sakurai's radar by now (given that Smash 6's project plan was very likely crafted in late 2023). Especially considering that Smash 6 is looking to be a 2026 release a the absolute earliest. Alear will be old news by then.

Also, I say this as a big FE fan, but Corrin and Byleth really should've taught Sakurai a lesson. Including the main character from the latest game every time isn't going to get a good reaction, especially if said game wasn't very well-received.

Speaking of, I'm tired of Smash's "just go for the main character" approach when it comes to the FE picks. Robin was so fresh and felt like what FE needed to diversify its Smash cast, before the cast was even repetitive and monotone. Going for the less obvious pick can result in miracles. Robin really was ahead of their time.
Corrin and Byleth at least offered something different, especially the latter. Byleth finally represented the weapon variety that the series is known for.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's worth noting that Byleth was an ideal character well before sales existed for Three Houses. That wasn't really why he/she got in at all. It was just simple promotion when chosen for the latest. Also, Sakurai didn't choose Byleth, Nintendo did. He only chose Corrin.

Alear missing the window has a good chance of happening, though.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Speaking of Alear, not that I want him, but is there any way he could be playable in a Smash Bros. game without using things from any of the other Fire Emblem characters, if that is what he truly does?

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Speaking of Alear, not that I want him, but is there any way he could be playable in a Smash Bros. game without using things from any of the other Fire Emblem characters, if that is what he truly does?
Alear becomes the 13th Emblem near the end of the game, which allows them to Engage with any unit in the game. I figured that would be a decent compromise to implement the Engage mechanic without having to shoehorn any pre-existing FE characters.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's worth noting that Byleth was an ideal character well before sales existed for Three Houses. That wasn't really why he/she got in at all. It was just simple promotion when chosen for the latest. Also, Sakurai didn't choose Byleth, Nintendo did. He only chose Corrin.

Alear missing the window has a good chance of happening, though.
even then they may just have said a character from three houses

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
....I liked Engage.
Oh, don't get me wrong. It's not a bad game per se, the gameplay is actually quite good. I'm just echoing the common sentiment that the characters and writing are kinda shallow and... for lack of a better term, cringy. The game is so corny that it's funny sometimes, even in serious moments. Alear's design reflects this pretty well; it's so overdone and out there, clearly trying but failing to look cool... it's almost charming.
Corrin and Byleth at least offered something different, especially the latter. Byleth finally represented the weapon variety that the series is known for.
Corrin has the chainsaw sword and transforms into a dragon and all, but STILL somehow feels and plays like your average swordie... with the exception of the Neutral B and Side B, I guess? Side Smash also has the charging hitbox going for it. But that's it.Their game is inexcusably horrible and Corrin themselves is also a bad character in said game. Just a disaster all around. It also annoys me that there was an infinitely better choice available; one of the only characters in Fates to be prevalent in all three routes, Azura.

Byleth I'm a bit more accepting towards, but they still strike me as boring. It's the third time in a row they went for the Avatar. But their moveset is cool and unique, bringing four unique styles of weapon to the table.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Corrin was wanted by Namco Bandai for their dragon powers. Byleth was chosen, most likely because they could make them use all of the House Leaders' weapons compared to choosing one of the House Leaders and sticking to what they use best(and who knows if House Leader discourse at the time had an impact).

At the same time, Byleth's problem was not being a Fire Emblem main character. Byleth's problem was being put in a bit too soon after their game released and other factors like people thinking only 3rd Party characters were going to get in and Capcom deciding to advertise Devil May Cry around the time Nintendo was trying to promote Byleth's upcoming video.
Had Byleth been released later during FP2 instead of ending FP1, they wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the amount of hate they got. Because people were in fact speculating other Nintendo characters, including a Three Houses character, when Fighter's Pass 2 was announced.
*Nintendo. They are the ones who chose them.
Byleth, maybe(depends on if Intelligent Systems had any input in which if it is the case, it wouldn't have been Nintendo).

Corrin, no, that was Namco Bandai. Sakurai was asked by the Smash team(aka Namco Bandai) about Corrin, Sakurai was hesitant because of the amount of Fire Emblem characters suddenly getting in alot, the team insisted they could make Corrin unique enough to make it work. Sakurai specifically mentioned during his interview regarding Corrin that it was the "Smash development team" who pressured him into giving Corrin a chance when he was hesitating at the number of FE characters getting in.

Edit: Oh, and as someone who has played Fates, Corrin wasn't even the worst issue. It was the horrible writing that, if anything, hurt the actual characters more than Corrin. Especially characters like Xander and Ryoma.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I know people like to dog on Corrin in the Fire Emblem fandom (and a lot of it is deserved) but it is something that people overplay here.

She's not universally hated. She's still got a lot of fans. She even won a CYL poll. She's not one of the most popular lords. But she isn't hated.

If you want a Fire Emblem character who is near universally hated, check on Malakov. Sheesh, that guy is awful.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Here's my list, and some notes on how I'm communicating it

If the Name is in Bold, I'm 100% sure they are getting in.

If the Name is just regular, I think they might be likely, but I'm not going to be as sure as others

If their name is in Parenthesis, While I think they might be in if that Franchise got a Character, I'm not sure on their actual Chances as a whole (I might find them unlikely).

If there is a ? with their name in the Paranthesis, I'm even less sure on that character

If I say No to that character, I'm sure that they aren't Getting in

I'll also have a DLC Tag next to the character if I think they would or could be DLC

:ultmario: Geno, Waluigi (No Pauline, No Toad)
:ultdk: (Dixie Kong) (and Kiddy Kong?)
:ultyoshi: Good (No Kamek)
:ultwario: (Ashley?)

First, while it makes sense, it's kind of weird that Waluigi wouldn't be considered a Wario Character due to their relation to each other, but I guess that's what happens when Waluigi doesn't appear in Warioware like that.

Either Way, I think Geno is getting in for real this time. With the Remake, I think Geno has nothing stopping him from being in Smash. It's his time now.

Waluigi should be in, He's probably one of the most well-Known characters you could put in, especially to Casuals. now if there's some reason Sakurai cannot envision Waluigi as a Full Fighter, I don't think anything as Changed for Waluigi in terms of material to change that idea. However I think the Popularity and requests Waluigi has shown to attain will at least make it so Waluigi gets a 2nd look however

If Pauline gets in as an actual Fighter, I will give someone here $50. I don't think everyone needs to be a Fighter, and I'm against Pauline being a Fighter. For Toad, I think he's cursed

Considering what was said in the Past about Diddy and Dixie, and the Legendary Spirit of Dixie and Kiddy, I wonder if Dixie did get in, it would be to Resurrect that old idea of the Duo Mechanic from Donkey Kong Country. Either way, I'm not sure on Dixie herself, but I think she should be in

Ashley is cool, but I think she will be staying a Mii Costume as of now to be honest, but I won't count her out 100%

Nothing to say on Yoshi. No Kamek

:ultlink: Majora's Mask, (Impa?) (No Skull Kid, No Midna, No BOTW or TOTK Characters)
:ultpikachu: Meowscarda, (Dragapult) Gen 10 Pokemon (DLC) (No Tinkatron, No Toxicrity, No Cinderace)
:ultkirby: Bandana Dee
:ultfox: (Krystal?)
:ultshulk: Noah and Mio (DLC?) XC4 Character (DLC)

So here's an Hot take I haven't shared with you all. I think if there was a "Surprise Fighter" in the same vain as Pirahna Plant and such, I think Majora's Mask would actually be a good candidate for that.

The Mask is Iconic Imagery, and I'll just say it, I think Skull Kid himself holds the Mask back in terms of it's potential. From what I know in the canon, Skull Kid doesn't do actual fighting. He does mess around mallicously, but it's really when the Mask becomes it's own being that you're Physically need to fight it. The Mask uses it's Tendrils and weird Movements and change it's shape to be humanoid.

I just think that the Idea of just the Majora's Mask just moving around and being it's evil Enitiy self seems very interesting. Also Unironically, I think it's also the best chance to represent some Horror Movie-esque energy into the playable roster, since other characters that can do this (Resident Evil Monsters, Pyramid head, FNAF Animatronics) are not only 3rd party, but are limited in some fashion whether it's in hard implementation of the moveset, or heavy need of Censoring

Now Impa is probably the only Re-occuring character that's not a Triforce member, and honestly if Shiek didn't get in, She'd probably be in in this day and age. I'm going to guess her Age of Calamity design would win out if she got in, but I'm not sure she would be in

Now I honestly think despite their popularity within Zelda, I don't think we getting Skull Kid or Midna, and they will stay in Assist hell. I also know Skull Kid got his own DLC in Cadence of Hyrule, where he uses the Different masks, but I personally think it would just be better to go with the Majora's Mask itself

BOTW and TOTK are legendary games, but I don't think these games need a character from them though

Meowscarda I think has the better chance because it's the Current Gen, People do like it as it's a Popular pokemon, and it's a Grass Magician. I think if they do go with Gen 8 perhaps in addition to Gen 9, I think the Pick would be Dragapult. It's a Ghost Dragon that shoots missiles, and it was the most popular Gen 8 Pokemon according to some polls, and still popular in Gen 9.

Tinkatron is Popular, I believe the most Popular Gen 9 Pokemon, but I think it's gonna get the Mimickyu Treatment. Probably same with Toxicrity and Cinderace.

I'm not interested in Bandana Dee as a character, but honestly, I can still see he's a good pick because it's cute, people want it, he's simple to envision and probably make in contrast to other characters, and he did get a Big break in Kirby's Forgotten land.

Krystal is probably the most tragic story in all of Smash. She would be next if Star Fox got another character, but Star Fox needs to get another game for that to happen

I think Noah and Mio are definitely going to be in the game, but the question is whether they are DLC or Base game. Their Ourobos mechanic (which seems to be like a Fusion mechanic) would be a perfect showcase of the Power of the Next Switch Console, but it might need to be saved for DLC however

What's definitely DLC will be whatever the Next Xenoblade Game, and it's characters are.

:ultsamus: (Sylux?) (No Raven Beak)
:ultmarth: Next Fire Emblem Character (DLC), (Alear) (Lyn?)
:ultinkling: Octoling, (Off the Hook) (Deep Cut?)
:ultvillager: Tom Nook
:ultolimar: (No Oatchi)

I don't think Raven Beak would be in. He seems like a cool villain and apparently, he has a Ready made Smash moveset, but perhaps priorities might lie elsewhere

As for Sylux, I guess it depends on how Metroid prime 4 goes down, but honestly I think Metroid is in a fine place with what it has currently

Fire Emblem will get another character in Smash as usual as DLC I feel. Now for Alear, I could see Engage getting skipped for a character like how Echoes did. However Honestly maybe the fact Engage is based around summoning could also be a good showcase of the Powerful Technology the New Switch has in storage.

Now Lyn is a Character that's been popular in Fire Emblem for years, actually decades now. She has Appearances in Heroes (I think she has the most costumes in that game), Warriors, engage, and people that have played Smash would be Familiar with her, since she's been an Assist Trophy for almost 2 Decades now. She could also add some of that Iaido gameplay with the Sheath/Unsheath. But Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if she stays in that assist hell, and it would be sad.

The question with Octoling is whether they will be a Full Fighter, Echo, Alt, etc. They need to be in the game in some form though.

The Idols of Splatoon are also a huge aspect of the games I believe. Now Squid Sisters are Assists and Mii Costumes, but what might happen of the other Idol Groups. There's Off the Hook with Pearl and Marina, and then there's Deep Cut with Shiver, Fyre, and Big man. I will say that of those 2, I think Off the Hook would be the most likely since there's only 2 to work with and have been around longer, so their popularity is more Stabalized and such. I don't know how the Idol groups work though.

Now on Tom Nook, I will say that whenever I've thought about Animal Crossing, Tom Nook is the main character I think of. So if he gets in and can take People's money and stuff like that, I would understand. If he's not playable though I also understand that since Animal Crossing is not a Series that is Super "Smash" Adjacent.

Oatchi seems cute, and Pikmin 4 did really well, but I think it can sit this one out

:ultpit: Good
:ultness: (No Porky Minch)
:ultfalcon: (No Black Shadow)
:ultlittlemac: Good
:ultminmin (No Twintelle, No Spring Man, No Dr.Coyle, No Ninjara)
:ultwiifittrainer: Good
:ultrob: Good
:ultduckhunt: Good
:ultgnw: Good
:ulticeclimbers: Good

So I don't think any of these Franchises will be getting anything new, for all sorts of reasons. to go into more depth

Earthbound is a Finished series. I know Porky has seen some requests, but if he does Return, I think it will be as a Boss again. However maybe there could be a mode or option where Bosses are Playable, which would be cool.

No Black Shadow either. If that April Fools post has any truth to it, then I don't think Black Shadow needs to be a priority. Also Ganondorf with his moveset now is Popular. While I do think a few moves (Up Tilt, Neutral B) could be reworked or changed, I think the basis of Ganondorf should stay on Ganondorf, even if it's not the most Canon moveset. I think it would be better to just make Ganon playable seperately as well

ARMS might be the most likely of these franchises to get a 2nd game in the future, and even then I don't see that as a likely option anytime soon. Min-Min is already volatile as a moveset already so I think before they add another character with that similar gameplan, I think they should just focus on Min-Min

:ultsonic: Shadow the Hedgehog

So what I will say for Shadow is that the main reason he will be in, over any other Sonic character, including Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman... is that he's Shadow the Damn Hedgehog

and that might not seem important, but there's a reason that despite making less appearances than Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman, the fact of the matter is that when Shadow appears, the intrigueness rises, and that he still is the 2nd most popular character in the franchise. See I Firmly believe that Shadow the Hedgehog is in the wrong franchise, this is due to the fact that Sonic as a Franchise is supposed to Focus on Sonic and his World

But from his Introduction in 2001 (the year I was born) to 2006, Shadow manage to Rival and even supersede Sonic in terms of Importantance at Times. The games might not have been the best, but the fact that Shadow was allowed to Alter the Sonic world the way he did is amazing to look at in Retrospect, since Sonic Himself is already one of the Coolest characters to ever exist

Nowadays, I think alot of the Mandates and difficulty writing around Shadow is to make sure he doesn't upstage Sonic, as Sonic is supposed to be the main draw of whatever he's in. However I think for a Game like Smash, I think you could actually go all in on Shadow being both the "Cooler, Dark Sonic" and his Own character with his own Edge and attitude and way of doing things that is not like Sonic at all.

Pretty much, Unlike with Sonic, with Shadow you can go all out on the Concept of a Super Fast Hedgehog that wants to put you in your place. Full on Agression, His chaos Powers allowing very destructive and Far Reaching moves, and Always being on top of your Opponent like how you always need to keep in mind the Level layout in Sonic games to keep your Speed. is Sonic is doing Weed, Shadow is doing Crack, which you shouldn't be doing drugs, but you should be ready for Shadow to be in Smash

Also with the Movie, it's a great time to Capitalize.

:ultsnake: (Raiden?)
:ultmegaman: (Zero)
:ultcloud: (Another Final Fantasy Character) (DLC),(No Tifa, No Aerith, No FF7)

If Metal Gear did get another Character then it would be Raiden. Also he did make an apperance in Fortnite so he still is being used to this day, but Honestly I don't know about Raiden in this game

Zero is Cooler Mega Man (X). He's also his own character, but I think Smash needs to have characters that when people see side by side with the main character they go, They side with the Cooler character. Anyway Zero I can see being in, I can also see him not being in. I think it just depends on how the roster is built

Another Final Fantasy Character that's not from FF7 I think as Series merit. I mean, your Franchise can't last for 16 Mainline games if only one Game is Iconic, and while FF7 is the most Iconic and actually the most relevant to this day thanks to the Remake, I think Cloud and Sephiroth are enough in terms of characters, Even if Tifa and Aerith (and Barret) are Cool characters

You got other games that are popular and Iconic, with FF6, FF8, FFX, FF14. I know that in Japan, FFX (the one with Tidus and Yuna) is definitly a Favorite there, able to contend with FF7 in that regard. FF8 also sold more Copies there I believe, even if long term, it's not to that iconic status. FF6 is also the Most Popular and Iconic Final Fantasy game that was Nintendo Relevant

Of course another Final Fantasy character would be DLC. I definitely think it's worth it to have both Cloud and Sephiroth in the base roster

:ultryu: Akuma, Chun-Li, (Juri?)

I think there's no reason for Akuma to not be in Smash. The Bodytype is there with Ryu/Ken, and Akuma is like I've said, always Top 2-5 in Usage stats in the Actual Street Fighter games. I think the options that he commonly uses to break Street Fighter games can be more fitting around the Nature of Smash because the game is already so mobile and such

I also will say that I think Juri actually has Perfect energy for a Game like Smash, just on the concept of her and her abilities. A Sadistic, Evil leaning Female Taekwondo Martial Artist that uses her Feet for most of her moves including projectiles, Movement, Grabbing, etc, and an Evil Eye that allows her Crazy Mobility to run wild and unleash her true power. She's a Popular character and She's been in 3 Straight Street Fighter games now, being the only character in SF6 that's not from SF2 nor is a new character, and she just won a Million Dollars

Now I do think Chun-Li should be in the game. I just think that it's harder to see how she can incorporate her Neutral heavy, Charge based gameplay in an Frantic and Chaotic game like Smash, which has so many Movement options and can have many characters on screen at once. I know Terry has Charge inputs, and you can just use Special move button for the Specials, but one, Terry is built to be a masher and getting in, which is not Chun-Li. She can mash, her lightning legs is one of the most famous moves with a Mash input, but her Gameplan is not suited to Smash though. However I Absolutely think it can be done, and I think it will be very interesting to See. I would like to see it be done in actuality. I Picture her being the one FGC Character that's not about just trying to Rush Down people and Mash buttons and combo your Opponent (even if Ryu can play being a Zoner with his Hadokens).

Also I don't want to seem like I'm hating on Chun-Li. I like Chun-Li, but I will say in the context of Smash, She doesn't seem like the most fun option to add at a glance. I think she's one of the characters that needs some Fine-Tuning in how her mobility and moves work to make sure she fits

:ultbayonetta: Fine
:ultsimon: (Alucard)
:ultjoker: (Persona 6 Protagonist?) (DLC)

Bayonetta I think is fine for right now. Jeanne could be an echo of Bayonetta if they want to add something extra, but it's Fine if it's just Bayonetta

The fact that Alucard was considered and even said to be more well-known than the Belmonts means he needs to be in Consideration automatically. Now that doesn't mean he will get in this time in spite of that, but I could definitly see it, especially since there will be people Familiar with the Netflix series

Now since Persona 5 was such an hit, if Persona 6 becomes a big hit and the Main character is a cool character like Joker, then maybe in the DLC (Depending on how long DLC goes for) maybe it can be DLC to represent the most recent Persona game. but honestly, I don't know if this idea will hold up for this Smash. Joker is the most Recent 3rd party character to be added (along with Luminary) but those 2 characters where added in on the backs of a Culmination of their Franchises long history of Games. in Joker's case, with both Persona and Shin Megami Tensi and with Persona 5 specfically being the biggest hit of the Franchise

:ulthero: (Slime?)
:ultbanjokazooie: Good
:ultsteve: Good
:ultkazuya:(Jin?, King?, Paul?, Marshall Law?, Yoshimitsu?)
:ult_terry: (Iori) (Kyo?)

We know Slime was an option on the table if Hero was not available for use, and It's got a unique body type being... well a Slime. However Since Hero was able to be gotten I don't think Slime will be needed on the Roster

Jin Kazama (also known as Jin Cena by some people) is the character that's been the Main Protagonist for most of the Tekken games, Including Tekken 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8. 3, 5, and 8 at this rate being the Most Iconic games of the whole Franchise. He also has the Devil Gene like his Father. However since his Base form disintegrated the Mishima Fighting style from his Repertoire, he cannot Echo his Father, and it would be weird to just have Devil Jin. However I think in ideal circumstances he would be in. I also haven't played Tekken 8 since I don't have PS5, so I don't know further developments from that game

I'll also shout out King, Paul and Law, and Yoshimitsu. King for probably having one of the most Iconic Masks in gaming and having all the throws, Paul for usually being among the most Used characters in Tekken and for having the Death Fist, Law for being the Bruce Lee Expy of Fighting games, and Yoshimitsu for being a Weirdo and for being in Both Tekken and Soul Calibur. Actually his Antics would fit Smash pretty well all things considered

Terry was the option to Represent SNK as a Company, and he's Cool Character. But honestly, Iori is just a Genius design and Sakurai has said so himself. He's so cool, and I just think it would be cool to have him in the game. Same with Kyo too, being the main character of the Actual King of Fighters series, but I think Terry might just stay by himself though

:ultsora: Xemnas (DLC?), (Roxas) (Riku) (DLC?) (Mickey Mouse?) (DLC)

So I actually do think not only we will get Sora back, but I think we will get another Kingdom Hearts character, but there's a multitude of options at play here

Roxas honestly might be the most Iconic character from Kingdom Hearts not named Sora, maybe more than Riku. In fact I would say Alot of the Coolest and/or Emotional moments in Kingdom Hearts involve Roxas. I know he's definitely the Most popular character in Japan that isn't Sora.

Now Roxas can Echo Sora due to the Same Body and their relation to each other, also Days shows this as well, but I think The Dual Wielding needs to be in there in some form. It's too cool not to be

Now the Xehanorts are the most important part of the Main Dark Seeker saga that ran from KH1-KH3, being the Main villains and all, and I think of all the Xehanorts, I would go with Xemnas, since I think he's probably the coolest one of them all and he has the Most Iconic Final Boss fight in the Series. Plus, He's Literally a Star Wars Sith Lord. He has the Lasers, Lightsabers, Lightning, and the Force (With his guard).

and There's Riku, the Character that balances both the Light and the Darkness at the same time, and 2nd to Sora in terms of Importance in the series. I think with Fencer like gameplay and the ability to switch between using regular light abilities and his Dark Abilities, he could be cool in the game

Now the thing I have to wonder is, Could we see Mickey Mouse, and by proxy more actual Disney stuff in Smash. Now of course there is the "Video Game origin characters only" Rule, but besides Goku, I do think Mickey is the best character to break this rule since Disney is actually on board, and I think it make it easier to get Sora on the base roster if Disney and Nintendo knew they could make all that money from Mickey being in Smash bros, cause I think it would be a big deal. He's definitely DLC if it happens, no questions asked

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
I will say that unless the next Smash game is developed right now. We probably won't see Alear as a promotional pick. The timing isn't right.
I mean, going by the evidence* we have right now, Alear has already missed the boat.

*Studio 2/Studio S, Sakurai confirming he's still working on games, Sakurai dropping his YT channel this year, the "Switch 2" allegedly coming out next year.
I know people like to dog on Corrin in the Fire Emblem fandom (and a lot of it is deserved) but it is something that people overplay here.

She's not universally hated. She's still got a lot of fans. She even won a CYL poll. She's not one of the most popular lords. But she isn't hated.

If you want a Fire Emblem character who is near universally hated, check on Malakov. Sheesh, that guy is awful.
Corrin has their fans, yeah. I do have my suspicions on why the female character became the "default", but I digress.

Oh i didn't know about Corrin. I thought she was another Nintendo Promotion for Fates.

Neat
Corrin is a promo pick. Sakurai said that they wanted to add a character from an upcoming 2016 game in Smash, and Fates fit the bill. Corrin's dragon powers were also mentioned, but that wasn't the exact reason why they were chosen, they were just what convinced Sakurai to choose the character.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I’d be fine with this.

Ivander

Smash Legend

It's kinda debatable because in the female brackets, she was 5th in CYL1, 9th in CYL2, 6th in CYL3, 11th in CYL4(when Three Houses took over priority), 5th in CYL5 and 4th in CYL6 until finally getting 2nd in CYL7. Like sure, she wasn't the most popular Lord, but quite early on, she was beating Micaiah, Eirika, F!Robin and Tiki before fans pressured themselves into getting those characters in for reasons. And obviously, part of why she dropped in CYL2 and 4 were because of Echoes and Three Houses recency.
But for the most part in other CYLs, her popularity remained consistent until she finally got 2nd in CYL7. She may not be the most popular Lord, but she is still a character whose popularity is very consistent, similar to Tharja who may have dropped from 3rd in CYL1 to between 9 and 12 in CYLs after, but she has been staying there consistently each CYL since.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Corrin has their fans, yeah. I do have my suspicions on why the female character became the "default", but I digress.
Oh it's 100% that.

But the older I get, the more common I find that to be, and the less bothered I am by it.

Splitting hairs about where popularity comes from usually isn't helpful.

Ivander

Smash Legend
If anything, the reason both Corrins have been getting a bit more popularity is because they are often regarded as being better outside of their main game, where in the spin-offs like Fire Emblem Warriors and Heroes, they are allowed to have more character than just be a self-insert and they have some more differences between them.
I mean for example, when Male Corrin got his first Alternate Costume in Heroes, the reason he was a Free Reward Unit rather than a Summonable unit from a Banner was because he overslept on New Years and missed out on the New Years Celebration. That legitimately got a real chuckle out of me when it was revealed.

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Oh it's 100% that.

But the older I get, the more common I find that to be, and the less bothered I am by it.

Splitting hairs about where popularity comes from usually isn't helpful.
As a girl in the male dominated hobby of gaming, I think that kind of popularity is next to invalid. That's neither here nor there, but I find it really degrading and not the kind of popularity female characters should aim for.

In the topic of Smash, it's also why I detest everything ZSS stands for.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Hypothetically, if Fire Emblem doesn’t get a single new character for the entirety of the next Smash’s life while other franchises like Kirby, Zelda, or Sonic finally get some attention…

Would that be enough? Could Smash fans finally let the resentment go?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Hypothetically, if Fire Emblem doesn’t get a single new character for the entirety of the next Smash’s life while other franchises like Kirby, Zelda, or Sonic finally get some attention…

Smash fans? Let resentment go? HA! Ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha...

Real talk: we've got people who are STILL mad about a lot of roster choices. Nothing's gonna change that.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
I HATE ZSS because she is basically better in almost every way in Smash & it defeats the point of the original character.

To me all characters should primarily be considered for what , new ; , game-play style & move-set , they bring.

In the topic of Smash, it's also why I detest everything ZSS stands for.
Then who are your top picks for newcomers ?

Ivander

Smash Legend

The resentment would just go elsewhere. Smash Brawl, that resentment was aimed at Kirby. Smash 4, that resentment was originally aimed at Kid Icarus until Corrin came and they aimed it at Fire Emblem. And it simply remained with Fire Emblem because of Chrom and eventually Byleth.

Heck, even if Fire Emblem got nothing and a bunch of other series got lots instead, if even most of the FE characters if not all of them remained in the next game, I doubt that resentment would go away from them. Why? Because of course they will not ignore the series they don't like getting alot of characters while ignoring all the characters their favourite series is getting.
It's okay if their favorite series gets attention, it's not okay when another series they don't like gets attention over their favorites.

Top Bottom