• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I don’t like to look at characters as company reps. Besides ease of negotiating, I don’t think the company that owns the character should play too much of a factor in the decision. For example, if they decided to add Leon, Chun-Li, and Zero from Capcom, I don’t think there’s any obligation to add the same number from SNK.
I agree with this. But I think some companies can match reps even if unintentional. Like, Sega, Capcom, Square Enix, and even Microsoft could probably have 5-6 characters each very easily.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
You can genuinely make a drinking game out of how many times he makes a character have a moveset that contains "X summons Another Person/Thing" that even when he does it for a character it actually makes sense for like Andy, it just rings hollow. That's not because he actually knows anything about Advance Wars, that's because his default moveset stance is "wow cool summoning!"

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
You can genuinely make a drinking game out of how many times he makes a character have a moveset that contains "X summons Another Person/Thing" that even when he does it for a character it actually makes sense for like Andy, it just rings hollow. That's not because he actually knows anything about Advance Wars, that's because his default moveset stance is "wow cool summoning!"
Character/Prop summoning is undoubtedly the BIGGEST problem in smash fan movesets. People, you do realize you're building a moveset for how a character would fight, right? Not making them a walking clustertruck of things they did in their home series?

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Character/Prop summoning is undoubtedly the BIGGEST problem in smash fan movesets. People, you do realize you're building a moveset for how a character would fight, right? Not making them a walking clustertruck of things they did in their home series?
Yeah. It's such a pervasive problem in fan-made Smash movesets. It's so bad that this trend even crept into Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Common sense dictates that Sakurai isn't an idiot and knows that people who ask for Goku aren't asking for "Dragon Ball representation", they're asking for Goku. Even if he did operate under your pedantic little delusion that 21, Starkiller, etc. were viable options, he wouldn't go for it because he doesn't operate in loopholes. He's very strict about representing the franchises he's allowed to use with the utmost of care, and it's frankly disrespectful to the amount of work he's put in to giving us characters nobody thought would ever get in.

On top of that, he wouldn't even put someone like Terra Branford in because he knew that Cloud and Sephiroth were the most popular Final Fantasy characters. What makes you think he would ever even consider a literal nothing of a character like 21 or Starkiller? It's like you're asking for the shark pirate captain from Mario RPG before Mario?

I'm done. If your head is buried too far in the sand to listen to reason, I'm not gonna waste any more breath talking to you.
Okay, I'm going to post this again:

On the flip side of Zero, who I feel like has an actual shot to make it in, are there any characters you really want to see that you think have such a low chance that you would feel like you’re just throwing your vote away by voting for them if we ever got another Smash Ballot?
Nobody is pushing for Android 21, nor do anybody think she has much of a chance. Just that she is eligible due to coming from a video game (which is a requirement to being in Smash) but that's not the same as saying she has a good chance and nobody has ever said that. That's why she was brought up, as she was a character that somebody wanted but pretty much has no chances to make it in Smash at all.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I DO remember you having quite a few issues with his Sega Smash roster. Are a lot of those issues still prevalent here?
SEGA roster was also a lot to unpack in terms of issues so I might not have the time, energy, or memory to go as in-depth as I maybe could, but I do think both these rosters share the core problem of it just feeling like he doesn't really know what he's talking about. It's not as extreme as the SEGA roster where it felt like he was out of his depth with like 90% of the characters featured, but there is plenty of "welllll I don't know much about X, but I heard it's pretty great/I know a guy who really likes Y" and so on.
I will say that I admire the sheer tenacity it takes to think that cutting Yoshi of all characters is a good decision for a new Smash roster.

I mean, it's a ****ing awful idea and I have no clue how you could even think to do it. But it's certainly a choice of all time!
The funniest part is honestly how with chars like Diddy and Olimar he was all like "ooofffff ummmmmm ahhhhh i'm so sorry guys i'm gonna have to make tough cuts sometimes" but with Yoshi he was like, super standoffish and dismissive like "yeah we can cut Yoshi lol his games aren't that big he can be an assist". It's hilarious

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Yeah. It's such a pervasive problem in fan-made Smash movesets. It's so bad that this trend even crept into Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl.
I've come to accept that NASB's case is a little different, because creating a moveset for a cartoon character is different than creating a moveset for a videogame character, but I still think they go overboard with the references instead of finding a healthy medium

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think character/prop summoning is a case-by-case basis. Some fighters it fits more than others.

As far as Thorgi's video, what's baffling to me is that even if you were go entirely off of franchise bias, it's a bizarre move to include the likes of Dixie Kong but then remove Diddy & K Rool. Someone who was unambiguously a platformer/RPG/fighting game fan and made cuts/inclusions based around that for their fantasy roster can I at least understand because it would be a game they'd like. This final roster just doesn't really feel like it pleases anyone.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
No the issue here is that Thorgi doesn't actually let the characters shine in their own right.
You look at Alear's proposed moveset and it's really just a vehicle to represent a bunch of FE characters without actually adding them rather than actually letting Alear do their own thing.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
The secret is Thorgi has always been **** at making rosters and coming up with movesets. Y'all just didn't know enough about the other stuff he made rosters for to realise that.
I'm a fighting game buff, and I don't appreciate the implication that I'm ignorant about a topic I'm this passionate about.

You don't have to like his rosters, but that is objectively your subjective opinion.

The reason I'm fine with his normal gimmicks is that Smash doesn't operate under the usual style of roster selection everyone else does. Fighting games have and usually do leave out a handful of big favorites (though at this point it's usually to sell them as DLC).

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I think character/prop summoning is a case-by-case basis. Some fighters it fits more than others.

As far as Thorgi's video, what's baffling to me is that even if you were go entirely off of franchise bias, it's a bizarre move to include the likes of Dixie Kong but then remove Diddy & K Rool. Someone who was unambiguously a platformer/RPG/fighting game fan and made cuts/inclusions based around that for their fantasy roster can I at least understand because it would a be a game they'd like. This final roster just doesn't really feel like it pleases anyone.
There are definitely characters prop where summoning fits like Villager and G&W, it just needs to be done tactfully. Some people think most characters could get away with summoning props which just isn't true.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
It's the "Good Moveset = Cram as much references as possible" approach. Not really creative at all

This final roster just doesn't really feel like it pleases anyone
His speech on how "Ultimate's roster can never be topped outside, It's impossible, let's not bother, Let's get weird etc" from the start tells you how this is going to go. Typical Fan-Roster but it got me think.

Do you think is possible to top Ultimate's Roster in terms of actual quality and hype with downscaled 40-60 like Thorgi "attempted" to do here?

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Do you think is possible to top Ultimate's Roster in terms of actual quality and hype with downscaled 40-60 like Thorgi "attempted" to do here?
Absolutely. Ultimate's roster has a lot of filler so right off the bat there's a lot of fat you could trim. From that point its a matter with balancing the old with the new. I wouldn't go as overboard with cutting vets as Thorgi did but there's definitely a good chunk I could and many others could live without. I'd promise really difficult cuts to return as DLC later with reworks.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I haven't seen the video but from what I can tell from comments here it sounds like Thorgi just fed all the Smash discussion from here/4chan/GameFAQs he could find to an AI and told it to make a new Smash roster. I don't think any actual person who believes the original 12 will not stick around forever would think Yoshi is on the chopping block let alone on it for...Yoshi games not being as big as Mario games. It's not like he doesn't appear in...uh...Mario games as well, he hasn't been as segregated as DK or Wario in that regard.

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
The secret is Thorgi has always been **** at making rosters and coming up with movesets. Y'all just didn't know enough about the other stuff he made rosters for to realise that.
The Horror one’s really good, the TMNT one is fine with some issues, MVC4 was somewhat dodgy, all the other “Smash-like” ones were okay to my memory, Mega Man, Castlevania, SF VS MK, CVS3 were okay. I think this Smash one, MVC4, and One Piece (as far as I know) were the ones he fumbled on, really.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
The Horror one’s really good, the TMNT one is fine with some issues, MVC4 was somewhat dodgy, all the other “Smash-like” ones were okay to my memory, Mega Man, Castlevania, SF VS MK, CVS3 were okay. I think this Smash one, MVC4, and One Piece (as far as I know) were the ones he fumbled on, really.
Coming from a One Piece fan, I think he did the series justice, with a few exceptions. The movie characters, and especially Hody Jones are baffling picks when this series has so many other big characters he left off.

Xbox Smash I would say is not great.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Again, provide the source where genre of IPs barred entry? The rule said the character had to originate from the video game, not the IP itself. If the source or quote to the contrary, i'll eat my words.

Still then, she's still eligible.

No, This is a crossover of Nintendo-All Stars. Third Parties and Non-Nintendo have a zero-chance of getting in. End of Story. Right?

We've been here before, haven't we?
No she isn't she's a dragon ball character owned by dragon balls owners. The problem isn't that she is a videogame originated character the problem is she is a dragon ball owned character which is not a video game originated IP/franchise

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Y'all are too attached to Yoshi. He has, like, one game that's actually good.
hmm if only yoshi had some sort of... wider influence in the overall Mario series? perhaps if he debuted as a major character in Mario's series, maybe during the SNES era... or even continued to be a mainstay in the franchise from there on with the likes of Luigi, Bowser, Peach, and Toad...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Both Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story are good games, though? Can't say on Wooly World as I never played it.

Oh, right, Yoshi's Cookie. Another good game. Sure, it's a redeco, but that doesn't mean it's not good, after all.

I never played Yoshi's Safari either so can't say on that, heh.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Both Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story are good games, though? Can't say on Wooly World as I never played it.

Oh, right, Yoshi's Cookie. Another good game. Sure, it's a redeco, but that doesn't mean it's not good, after all.

I never played Yoshi's Safari either so can't say on that, heh.
Wooly world was great

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Yoshi's Island and Woolly World are both generally great games, with Story and Crafted World being good entries that lean a bit too much on their kid friendly difficulty to have as much depth as they should. New Island and DS have their moments but lack the charm of other entries.

Honestly, I'd say with Yoshi's outright playable appearance in Wonder and decently steady stream of games on Nintendo's main console, he's arguably more relevant now than the post 98 pre 2015 era where he pretty was relegated to handheld remakes, gimmick experiments, and animal buddy status in some Mario games.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Y'all are too attached to Yoshi. He has, like, one game that's actually good.
Yoshi's Island
Yoshi's Wooly World

Both are widely considered amazing.

Yoshi's Story, Yoshi's Crafted World and Yoshi's Island DS are a bit more divisive but have their fans.

Yoshi games do have fans. Don't make me sick Zinith Zinith on you.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Yoshi has good games under his belt, Island and Wooly World come to mind. I'm also fond of Island DS.

Yeah, not all of em are winners. I tried out Yoshi's New Island one summer a few years ago and it was like... the crowning achievement of mediocrity in videogames. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't very good either, just derivative and uninspired (I believe it introduces a total of one unique enemy, lol). I finished it and felt absolutely nothing.

But the point is Yoshi does have good games (and Poochy and/or Kamek deserve to be playable at some point in Smash before the inevitable heat death of the universe)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I mean, I’d prioritize the main four Mario characters over Yoshi, and Wario I think. But then you kinda need to have Yoshi. A roster without Yoshi and with like… enough space for Waluigi, Pauline and Geno has its priorities a little warped, which is specifically what we’re talking about.

The furthest I’d go would be saying if I “rebooted” Smash with a new Original 12 he wouldn’t be in it. Relevant side note, SMW2 Yoshi’s Island may be my favorite 2D “Mario” game. Even if that was his only justification, which it’s obviously not, that’d be enough for me.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
No she isn't she's a dragon ball character owned by dragon balls owners. The problem isn't that she is a videogame originated character the problem is she is a dragon ball owned character which is not a video game originated IP/franchise
According to Sakurai?

And while we're on this talk on Dragon Ball, what do people think about the idea of Alex Kidd for Smash? His game was originally supposed to be a Dragon Ball game before they changed it. It reminds me if Mega Man originally supposed to be an Astro Boy game. Or even Donkey Kong originally supposed to be Popeye.

Just imagine how that all those characters that were originally supposed to be licensed characters all in one game.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord
I think if you did enough cuts Yoshi might have to go. But I don't really see a roster where Dark Samus stays over him

Louie G.

Smash Hero
And while we're on this talk on Dragon Ball, what do people think about the idea of Alex Kidd for Smash?
Alex Kidd is cute as a little piece of Sega history, but if he got in over bigger Sega IPs (Puyo Puyo, Yakuza, Shin Megami Tensei) or more interesting / dynamic characters from lesser franchises (NiGHTS, Jet Set Radio, Streets of Rage), I would be pretty underwhelmed.

He's a character I'd be happy to see in Sega All Stars Racing, but have no interest seeing in Smash personally. There are just too many better choices.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Alex Kidd is cute as a little piece of Sega history, but if he got in over bigger Sega IPs (Puyo Puyo, Yakuza, Shin Megami Tensei) or more interesting / dynamic characters from lesser franchises (NiGHTS, Jet Set Radio, Streets of Rage), I would be pretty underwhelmed.

He's a character I'd be happy to see in Sega All Stars Racing, but have no interest seeing in Smash personally. There are just too many better choices.
I can understand that. He definitely works better in SEGA's own crossover games.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
To branch off the topic of unorthodox Sega character picks though, how would everyone feel about Akira being playable? Sakurai seems to have a reverence for Virtua Fighter, with costumes in Smash 4 predating any other Sega series and Akira being chosen as an Assist Trophy (and one of the most fun ones, to boot). Sonic even has a deliberate Virtua Fighter reference in his moveset.

He's far from my first pick for Sega, but I think there's a precedent for it and I would honestly kinda eat it up if they stuck with this low poly look that Sakurai seems committed to. Do you guys think he'd maintain the more retro look if he was added?

I'm not the most well informed on Virtua Fighter but I feel like I've been neglecting it within the Sega conversation and it deserves more than that. At the very least I feel like Virtua Fighter is a sleeper pick for the next fighting game series in line.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
To branch off the topic of unorthodox Sega character picks though, how would everyone feel about Akira being playable? Sakurai seems to have a reverence for Virtua Fighter, with costumes in Smash 4 predating any other Sega series and Akira being chosen as an Assist Trophy (and one of the most fun ones, to boot). Sonic even has a deliberate Virtua Fighter reference in his moveset.

He's far from my first pick for Sega, but I think there's a precedent for it and I would honestly kinda eat it up if they stuck with this low poly look that Sakurai seems committed to. Do you guys think he'd maintain the more retro look if he was added?

I'm not the most well informed on Virtua Fighter but I feel like I've been neglecting it within the Sega conversation and it deserves at least more than that. At the very least I feel like Virtua Fighter is a sleeper pick for the next fighting game series in line.
I wouldn't mind it. Even if it's currently inactive, Virtua Fighter is still a pretty major series and I enjoy some of the games in the series myself. I don't think Akira should keep the 3D retro look, though. He should definitely go with his VF5 look. Maybe the retro look could be an alternate costume.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm not the most well informed on Virtua Fighter but I feel like I've been neglecting it within the Sega conversation and it deserves at least more than that. At the very least I feel like Virtua Fighter is a sleeper pick for the next fighting game series in line.
Given why Kazuya was picked over Heihachi, I dunno. VF is grounded enough that there's no wings Akira can grow that can work as his up-B.

Top Bottom