• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Not exactly related to the next Smash Bros., but I thought I’d bring this up.

Okay, I've got to get this off my chest.

I'll be honest (and realistic) here, I'd be cool with a Smash Bros. movie only focusing on Nintendo's own IPs.

Like, I just don't see stuff like Sonic happening unless a LOT of strings were pulled, and it honestly feels like a bit much to assume that Nintendo's own IPs wouldn't make a Smash Bros. movie worth watching.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I'm still excited about a Super Smash Bros. movie being part of the Nintendo Cinematic Universe, but if it's different universes based on Nintendo franchises something should be done, something to combine the universes and I'm referring to a supernatural power of the Master Hand and the Crazy Hand. But then again, even if they make independent films based on Nintendo IPs, that's enough for me.

UserKev

Smash Champion
As far for MK in Smash, MK's silly side alone can be represented. You could base all of Scorpion's attacks from MK's friendship and bleep out "deadly" attacks with a friendly cansership that coexists with Smash's E rating. Scorpion can also benefit from the critical hit ratio.

If your still claiming MK is too violent for Smash, you have a pretty stubborn narrow minded sense. Smash has it's own rules that makes Scorpion's playstyle positively possible. And Scorpion is even more a good and redeemed character these days.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's all well and good going "but they'd be funny tho" until you realise the character is also taking a spot from a character you would have actually wanted once the funny factor wears off after a few weeks.
This. Can also last a few games even. I mean, Ice Climbers, Piranha Plant, Wii Fit Trainer, just to name a few are horribly designed characters. It took until Ultimate to have Ice Climbers function properly and without weird exploits.

Hence I began becoming a fan of the fighting game characters even if I never play them, they got functional movesets and a niche that's
So a lot of people say Zelda/ Kirby:
Has Enough!
But i say no!
Like come on Impa and Bandana Waddle should be in the next game right?
Both relevant, both long running, both basically agreed on by everyone to be decent choices!
Sakurai/ Zelda and kirby dislikers! Come on We Kirby and zelda fans are stavin out here!
One Modern Kirby Stage, Maybe a ganondorf stage, Impa and Bandana Dee would satisfy us okay we are not too greedy!
Zelda and Kirby don't have enough and it's starting to show. How can a new Mario newcomer be warranted every time, but not one for Zelda, or Kirby? I mean we reached Piranha Plant level with Mario. Might be a more recognizable character than both Impa and Bandana Dee, sure, but still pretty down the barrel.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I often wonder how the Zelda cast would look if Skull Kid had joined Ganondorf in Melee. We could have gotten Zant in Brawl, Ghirahim in 4, and all 3 in Ultimate lol. Zelda would have been called "over-saturated".
Tbh, I don't think the sole thing that prevented Zelda from getting a new character in every game was the sheer lack of precedent and I doubt they'd gone with sole villains specifically even if it was.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
This. Can also last a few games even. I mean, Ice Climbers, Piranha Plant, Wii Fit Trainer, just to name a few are horribly designed characters. It took until Ultimate to have Ice Climbers function properly and without weird exploits.

Hence I began becoming a fan of the fighting game characters even if I never play them, they got functional movesets and a niche that's

Zelda and Kirby don't have enough and it's starting to show. How can a new Mario newcomer be warranted every time, but not one for Zelda, or Kirby? I mean we reached Piranha Plant level with Mario. Might be a more recognizable character than both Impa and Bandana Dee, sure, but still pretty down the barrel.
You know by the logic "its more recognizable" a brick block from mario is more recognizable than The Human from undertale for example!
Yeah Mario really has reached the bottom of the barrel... with one (mainline) Exception Toad! But cool you agree with me!

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
This is a very random thought, but if we get BotW Ganondorf in the next Smash game instead of OoT, I would love to have him get a spanish dub with the same voice actor from TotK (Alfonso Vallés).

He is a very huge voice actor in Spain, and among his roles is the iconic portrayal he gave to Solid Snake on the first Metal Gear Solid game for the PS1. Would love to see him being part of Smash Bros.
Speaking of Metal Gear and for those curious, Alfonso Vallés and many other voice actors from the cast of MGS1 in Spain have reunited for a fan project made up of 40 videos on YouTube where they voice 40 iconic scenes from the whole franchise, playing their respective characters again. It's a cool project, and It seems to be the closest we will get to these classic games getting a top notch dub for Spain in a long time. Here's one of the videos and if ya'll like It I reccomend to check out the whole Channel:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Current Smash leaks are saying that the new Smash has E. Gadd, Birdo, Goomba Tower, Blooper, and Penguin appear as newcomers but Toad and Waluigi are still out and three unknown Zelda reps have been cut.

It sounds about right.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Current Smash leaks are saying that the new Smash has E. Gadd, Birdo, Goomba Tower, Blooper, and Penguin appear as newcomers but Toad and Waluigi are still out and three unknown Zelda reps have been cut.

It sounds about right.
Ah, yes, Super Smash Bros Monkey's Paw
Fans: "Why do we need three different forms of Link?"
Nintendo: "Good point. We'll cut them all; now there's zero Links!"

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
The weird part about the Super Smash Bros Movie thing is people are treating as another next big thing IN terms of shared universe with all these movies building up when Smash itself isn't even like that.

It isn't that type of crossover where "worlds collide" it's its own world with the fighters all as toys taking place in a child's bedroom with almost everything that happens takes place in that child's imagination like Event Modes, Subspace, WoL.

Shouldn't a potential Smash movie be more like Lego Movie/Toy Story/Kingdom Hearts being it's own place instead of the next MCU?

I think this obsession of a Smash Movie stems from the diminishing returns and fade of MCU or Superhero movies in general and now people want the next big fix in mainstream film culture looking at video games as next big attraction.

Last edited:

Nickthebrick1

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, have you heard the news about rumors of a Super Smash Bros movie in the works? I think the idea would be tricky and overall difficult. But what are your guys thoughts on it.?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hey guys, have you heard the news about rumors of a Super Smash Bros movie in the works? I think the idea would be tricky and overall difficult. But what are your guys thoughts on it.?
How? How would you even make that movie work?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
If this is what needed to get new Zelda characters in, so be it. The more the merrier, but these are definitely part of what's wrong with the Zelda representation. Amongst Ganondorf being like he was pre Ultimate.

images (21).jpeg

what it sounds like when he's says Yes.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
these are definitely part of what's wrong with the Zelda representation.
I don't really agree. I think Zelda representation is flawed because of its lack of content, not because of what's already here. I mean, Young Link is superfluous at this point but we can't really judge Ultimate and Everyone is Here by "normal" standards.

Otherwise Sakurai has made a case for a younger Link being playable in Smash, one that has strengthened the more our default Link has changed and eventually converted into his BOTW form. The option for a more traditional Link is more valuable than ever. And Sheik is a benefactor of circumstance, but should have pioneered a standard to open Zelda up to standalone game-specific additions which many of us are hopeful for today. The elephant in the room is yes, Sheik is technically Zelda (well, one of the Zeldas... not necessarily this one), but has virtually nothing in common with the character functionally and offers a distinct flavor while carrying her individual significance to arguably the most popular game in the series. If we endorse characters like Skull Kid or Midna is would be kinda wrong to toss Sheik aside.

I think the only glaring issue with how things are right now - movesets aside - is that we do in fact have three Links, something that is obviously temporary. I can see Sheik being cut loose depending on how much space is available next time, although I don't think she or Toon Link are indicative of flawed series representation. Hell, Toon Link is one of the most persisting forms of the character as well and I think that branch of the series needs its due. Personally I would hold onto him over adding most new Zelda characters.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If this is what needed to get new Zelda characters in, so be it. The more the merrier, but these are definitely part of what's wrong with the Zelda representation. Amongst Ganondorf being like he was pre Ultimate.
What did Sheik do wrong??? She’s literally just a separated half of what was one character.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
If we're gonna bring up zelda reps then I feel like I need to talk about how unironically slept on Tingle is as a potential pick.

Think about it. He's an actually recurring character in the main series that isn't Impa or Beedle, has a lot of moveset potential and is playable in Hyrule Warriors, and even though he doesn't have most popularity among other candidates for a new Zelda character, he's is well-received in Japan... I mean, the guy has three spin-off games over there, for crying out loud.

I will say I am a little biased because I love wackier picks, and honestly Smash is surprisingly lacking in a cloud-cuckoo-lander-type character that I think would be really fun to see in battle. I could picture him not taking the match seriously at any point and fighting with his balloon, trinkets he has on hand, and clumsy flailing that just happens to hit foes on accident.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Think we need another crossover Hyrule Warriors to fix the Zelda character craze.

A bit of joking aside, a new Hyrule Warriors that focuses on the crossover aspect like the first one would be great to see. Recently was gifted the Definitive version of the first game for Switch and it's still as fun as I remember it on Wii U, with the new little additions being quite helpful.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If we're gonna bring up zelda reps then I feel like I need to talk about how unironically slept on Tingle is as a potential pick.

Think about it. He's an actually recurring character in the main series that isn't Impa or Beedle, has a lot of moveset potential and is playable in Hyrule Warriors, and even though he doesn't have most popularity among other candidates for a new Zelda character, he's is well-received in Japan... I mean, the guy has three spin-off games over there, for crying out loud.

I will say I am a little biased because I love wackier picks, and honestly Smash is surprisingly lacking in a cloud-cuckoo-lander-type character that I think would be really fun to see in battle. I could picture him not taking the match seriously at any point and fighting with his balloon, trinkets he has on hand, and clumsy flailing that just happens to hit foes on accident.
I want this to happen entirely on the basis that it'll make people angry and i think that's funny

dream1ng

Smash Lord
2B just got announced for the Granblue fighting game. Yoko Taro seems to like lending her to pretty much everyone who asks and we know he wants her in Smash. He'll absolutely try to get her in the next game. LMAO.
I like the duality of 2B, seemingly one of the easiest characters to license coming from Square, one of the most exacting companies to work with.

It's not that I think she disproves the claims of Square being trickier to handle than the others, because I think Square seems to defer to Yoko Taro a lot on this license. But I do think it underscores why characters really do need to be analyzed on a per-case basis, and that comparisons only get you so far.

I also wonder if 2B will start to pull ahead from the pack once the off-season ends. She's one of a diminishing number of characters with strong popularity in both pertinent regions (Japan and "the rest"), with a game successful enough that she's not niche, who isn't impeded by her previous obstacle of "no Nintendo appearances" (for whatever that is/isn't worth), from an existing company who will plausibly receive at least one new character, whose case seems as strong as anyone else's.

And if she's cheap, all the better I guess. Because unlike others, I do think budget does come into play. Not that I think all the inclusions are predicated on reasonable cost, just that if they've already landed some with a heavier price tag, they may want to offset that with others.

Plus, she has three qualities you never want to bet against: anime, JRPG, sword. lol

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
As for her inclusion, 2B's skirts has to be modified. I'm not really sure whether her cleavage has to be covered since we got Shantae mii outfit. But, I guess playable status will come with stricter guide.

dream1ng

Smash Lord

I'm at the point where as long as Zelda gets a newcomer that isn't a version of Link, Zelda or Ganon/dorf, I'll be pretty happy.

And Tingle's case is, frankly, as good as anyone else's. I know people apparently hate him, but that's honestly something I've heard about more than actually seen. I'm sure there would be moaning that he wasn't Skull Kid or Urbosa or something, but **** it. He's an original Zelda character who recurs. He's even had his own spin-off series. That's good enough for me.

Realistically I think Nintendo has actively tried to remove this guy from prominence within the series - and he's not demanded or recent enough to get in. But if it did happen, you'd not hear me whining.

Tbf about the wackier picks, even without Tingle, I think we're almost certainly set for waaaahn in particular. Possibly two, if the WFT-type counts.

As for her inclusion, 2B's skirts has to be modified. I'm not really sure whether her cleavage has to be covered since we got Shantae mii outfit. But, I guess playable status will come with stricter guide.
I think CERO is stricter about upskirts than cleavage, but I think both can be altered without it really changing all that much for 2B, both in look or in chances. They can just go for white booty shorts under her skirt like ZSS's alt, maybe lower the skirt's hem a bit.

Here's what CERO deemed acceptable for Palutena:

So the shorts even have a split in them.

Also yes my search history is now much more questionable after sourcing that info. xp

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I think CERO is stricter about upskirts than cleavage, but I think both can be altered without it really changing all that much for 2B, both in look or in chances. They can just go for white booty shorts under her skirt like ZSS's alt, maybe lower the skirt's hem a bit.

Here's what CERO deemed acceptable for Palutena:

So the shorts even have a split in them.

Also yes my search history is now much more questionable after sourcing that info.

Yeah, I remember that they almost had to delay Smash 4 due to Palutena's skirt. With that experience, they won't have too much trouble modifying 2B, but it still proves that 2B has to be modified.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Yeah, I remember that they almost had to delay Smash 4 due to Palutena's skirt. With that experience, they won't have too much trouble modifying 2B, but it still proves that 2B has to be modified.
True. So they'd modify her. A number of characters, especially third-parties, would have to work around the rating system. Whether that means slight aesthetic modifications, not being able to bring over their whole arsenal, or just making some attacks less graphic.

I don't think any of the usual suspects we talk about have a potentially prohibitive aspect as something so fundamentally intrinsic to them that they can't function were it toned down. What's especially funny is those who claim otherwise despite examples of that very modification in other games.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
And Tingle's case is, frankly, as good as anyone else's. I know people apparently hate him, but that's honestly something I've heard about more than actually seen. I'm sure there would be moaning that he wasn't Skull Kid or Urbosa or something, but **** it. He's an original Zelda character who recurs. He's even had his own spin-off series. That's good enough for me.

Realistically I think Nintendo has actively tried to remove this guy from prominence within the series - and he's not demanded or recent enough to get in. But if it did happen, you'd not hear me whining.
People just really dislike his Wind Waker incarnation, especially for the Triforce map section and maybe Four Swords Adventure where he stole your Force Gems. Hardly anyone has any issue with his Majora's Mask incarnation, who is just a map maker selling maps to help his father(and his maps are much much more cheaper compared to the close-to-400 Rupee amount for each Triforce map in Wind Waker).

Though Aonuma himself not liking Tingle doesn't help his chances. But really, make his next appearance more like his MM incarnation and most people would be fine with him.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I like the duality of 2B, seemingly one of the easiest characters to license coming from Square, one of the most exacting companies to work with.

It's not that I think she disproves the claims of Square being trickier to handle than the others, because I think Square seems to defer to Yoko Taro a lot on this license. But I do think it underscores why characters really do need to be analyzed on a per-case basis, and that comparisons only get you so far.

I also wonder if 2B will start to pull ahead from the pack once the off-season ends. She's one of a diminishing number of characters with strong popularity in both pertinent regions (Japan and "the rest"), with a game successful enough that she's not niche, who isn't impeded by her previous obstacle of "no Nintendo appearances" (for whatever that is/isn't worth), from an existing company who will plausibly receive at least one new character, whose case seems as strong as anyone else's.

And if she's cheap, all the better I guess. Because unlike others, I do think budget does come into play. Not that I think all the inclusions are predicated on reasonable cost, just that if they've already landed some with a heavier price tag, they may want to offset that with others.

Plus, she has three qualities you never want to bet against: anime, JRPG, sword. lol
Is Square Enix really a hard company to work with? I feel like we discuss them in the context of Smash when it comes to licensing but a quick look at Final Fantasy wiki's (incomplete) collaborations page shows that they had a lot of history when it comes to lending FF IP alone to other games and whatnot.

What's another instance they have shown to be demanding in crossovers? Like, I'm genuinely curious because I never saw anyone giving an example that isn't "Cloud came with two songs".

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Is Square Enix really a hard company to work with? I feel like we discuss them in the context of Smash when it comes to licensing but a quick look at Final Fantasy wiki's (incomplete) collaborations page shows that they had a lot of history when it comes to lending FF IP alone to other games and whatnot.

What's another instance they have shown to be demanding in crossovers? Like, I'm genuinely curious because I never saw anyone giving an example that isn't "Cloud came with two songs".
I believe they're very particular in how their IP gets implemented, from the content of the series (mostly) only coming from the games of those particular characters (FF7, DQ3,4,8,11) to the absolute dearth of literally any new content for FF in base (including stuff that wouldn't normally be DLC like an AT or a new FS for Cloud, or a single piece of art for Cloud's spirit), to apparently having a "no multiple Heroes" rule which, although Smash got around it, was still a thing, to clearly only agreeing to Mii waves with exclusively their content, to Cloud being absent in any CG trailer that wasn't for a SE character, to the whole VA debacle (which people credit to Nintendo being anti-union, even though there are several credited union VAs in Ultimate, like Roger Craig Smith, David Hayter, Yuri Lowenthal and Haley Joel Osment - which means it's likely something specific in their contracts that conflicts with Smash).

I also believe they are highly preferential to being DLC over base, and that could be why Cloud was allegedly one of the last, if not the last finalized for base, and why all the new FF7 content was left for DLC. Possibly why they even got two characters.

Fwiw, Nomura even said he was the picky one when it came to implementing Sora in Smash, not Disney.

"Exacting" and "trickier to handle than the others" are how I described it. And I think that fits. It's not that they're not open to collaboration, it's that they're seemingly stricter about the implementation of their IP than others. Legally, that is their prerogative.

Though it seems like there might be exceptions. 2B looks significantly simpler to work with, and my guess is because Square may take a backseat to Yoko Taro on how that character/IP is handled.

Top Bottom