• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Geno Boost

Smash Master
So, as much as this has already been brought up numerous times, what stages would you like to see in the next Smash Bros.?

EDIT: We have reached 900 pages!
I have alot
-SMRPG stage anything forest maze, Axem rangers ship, smithy factory
-Sun chase moon from street fighter 5
-minesweeper stage or windows games themed stage in general since Microsoft is part of smash now
-virtual boy stage has something like teleroboxer, Wario land, Mario clash
-Tetris stage
-Arkanoid stage
-Mario party stage
-PMD stage specifically temporal tower from PMD2
-actual bowser castle stage
-Dr. Mario stage
-gyromite stage for R.O.B. Since he doesn’t have a home stage yet for whatever reason
-bring back rainbow road, pac-maze, metal cavern
-stunt race fx stage with the truck being the stage itself
-statue of the gods from final fantasy 6 that goes through all the phases
-doshin the giant as a stage
-yoshi island snes final boss level as a stage
-Wario land stage
-club Penguin stage since Disney is now part of smash
-mappy stage which uses pac-man up special jumper for that purpose
-somehow bringing back miiverse stage but with alternative way to post draw and post the art in game splatoon 2 had that while it was on switch
-new island stage from Pokémon first movie to give Mewtwo a stage

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
Not exactly related to the next Smash Bros., but I thought I’d bring this up.

For once in my life, I hope Nintendo embraces their stubborn old ways and rejects this proposal. Not everything needs to be turned into cinematic universe slop. I want more Nintendo movies, but I want them to each have artistic and distinct styles and tones that don't have to be compromised in order for them to work in a Super Smash Bros. movie.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Does the chances to see Mortal Kombat characters or any other WB Games Original IPs will drastically go down the toilet?
Not really. The streaming networks where all things end up all still lose money anyway so any chance to make money is a plus meaning they'll always court an opportunity, especially with Nintendo. It's funny but look at the Super Mario movie. Thing's being passed around like a 2 dollar ... steak.

download (13).jpeg

Louie G.

Smash Hero
For once in my life, I hope Nintendo embraces their stubborn old ways and rejects this proposal.
I don't see it working out regardless. As they've already addressed, it would require making a completely separate animated Zelda movie at Illumination which might be a bit superfluous with the existing plans. The whole thing would probably have to take over a decade to reach the point where we have enough worthwhile IPs adapted - let's say Mario, DK, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox is the bare minimum - where this movie would make any practical sense anyway. So I think it will be pretty easy to see this for what it is and accept that it isn't a very feasible goal or is just WAY too early to make that call in the first place.

As far as my personal thoughts on it, I welcome them to try but I agree that I'd rather them not make any creative sacrifices to force it together. I'm not above being excited at the idea but I think that's where it begins and ends. It's an exciting idea that would probably be a nightmare to try and map out - particularly right now since we only have the Mario movie to work with. Let's try some other standalone films first before we decide whether this would work or not.

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I don't see it working out regardless. As they've already addressed, it would require making a completely separate animated Zelda movie at Illumination which might be a bit superfluous with the existing plans. The whole thing would probably have to take over a decade to reach the point where we have enough worthwhile IPs adapted - let's say Mario, DK, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox is the bare minimum - where this movie would make any practical sense anyway. So I think it will be pretty easy to see this for what it is and accept that it isn't a very feasible goal or is just WAY too early to make that call in the first place.
It also seems to go against Sakurai's claim that Smash Bros. gets no merchandising (with amiibo being the sole exception).

But yeah, I don't see it working either.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
For once in my life, I hope Nintendo embraces their stubborn old ways and rejects this proposal. Not everything needs to be turned into cinematic universe slop. I want more Nintendo movies, but I want them to each have artistic and distinct styles and tones that don't have to be compromised in order for them to work in a Super Smash Bros. movie.
and slop is exactly what illumination will make

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
So, as much as this has already been brought up numerous times, what stages would you like to see in the next Smash Bros.?

Sandersons' House (Chibi-Robo!)
Dungeon (The Legend of Zelda)
Koholint Island (Link's Awakening, the Switch remake version)
Clock Town (Majora's Mask)
Hyrule Castle (Wind Waker, specifically the room with the stained-glass windows of the Sages)
City in the Sky (Twilight Princess, I'd also take the Palace of Twilight or Arbiter's Grounds)
Lorule Castle (A Link Between Worlds)
The Depths (Tears of the Kingdom, one of the dungeons would do fine as well)
Underworld (Kid Icarus)
Ferenia or Elun (Metroid Dread)
BSL Research Station (Metroid Fusion)
Scrapyard or Via Dolce (ARMS)
Beanbean Fields (Mario & Luigi)
Peach's Birthday Cake (Mario Party)
Seaside Hill (Sonic Heroes)

I'll stop there because otherwise my stage list will be as long as the one in Ultimate.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They already did with Multiversus
Mortal Kombat has plenty of reasons to be unlikely. Being eligible for Multiversus, a game that didn't even have Asian servers and won't until the relaunch, and a game that Scorpion isn't even IN yet, is not one of them.

And even if they did use Scorpion...that also wouldn't stop Smash. It's not like being in DreamMix TV World Fighters stopped Snake and Simon.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Mortal Kombat has plenty of reasons to be unlikely. Being eligible for Multiversus, a game that didn't even have Asian servers and won't until the relaunch, and a game that Scorpion isn't even IN yet, is not one of them.

And even if they did use Scorpion...that also wouldn't stop Smash. It's not like being in DreamMix TV World Fighters stopped Snake and Simon.
DreamMix TV World Fighters , relevancy in its time to Smash = 0 = Not made by a major publisher

Explain How eligibility for Multiversus is not an obstacle ?
I mean why would Nintendo want to pick a character from one of the most notoriously violent video game franchises in history ?

smashkirby

Smash Hero

I'd like to get a Cruis'n stage!

Not exactly related to the next Smash Bros., but I thought I’d bring this up.

Ngl, I... kind of want this. I'll be honest, if it wasn't for Subspace, I'd be more on the fence, but...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
DreamMix TV World Fighters , relevancy in its time to Smash = 0 = Not made by a major publisher

I mean why would Nintendo want to pick a character from one of the most notoriously violent video game franchises in history ?
Don't conflate two different issues.

This:
Is not the same argument as this:
I'm only arguing against the former. Don't move the goal post.

And again, they really don't care. You've yet to show any evidence that it would be an obstacle, especially for a character who isn't even being used right now in the quote unquote "competitor's" game. Meanwhile there is evidence to the contrary, ie, DreamMix. And if DreamMix is irrelevant, then so too is Multiversus, because, again, it's literally non-existent in Japan at the moment.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Don't conflate two different issues.

This:

Is not the same argument as this:

I'm only arguing against the former. Don't move the goal post.

And again, they really don't care. You've yet to show any evidence that it would be an obstacle, especially for a character who isn't even being used right now in the quote unquote "competitor's" game. Meanwhile there is evidence to the contrary, ie, DreamMix. And if DreamMix is irrelevant, then so too is Multiversus, because, again, it's literally non-existent in Japan at the moment.
What makes you think i am conflating anything ?

To me the existence , Multiversus moves all WB characters from an extremely slim possibility to zero
Mortal Kombat one of the most notoriously violent video game franchises in history , happens to be the most obvious reason NOT to for Nintendo

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
As for the topic of stages i want most of them just tie back to newcomers i want to see, so they should be obvious to those that know the series.

I want to see the rainbow road stage from Smash 3DS make a return, it should be relatively easy to do since Mario Kart 8 deluxe did remake the stage with the recent dlc stuff.

Also a Bowser's castle stage like everyone else wants.

Millenium tower (Yakuza)

Its like the New donk city and lumiose city stages where your on a platform climbing up but at night.

For those that never played Yakuza the Millenium tower is an important set piece of the franchise, there's a major encounter there in basically every game

The Old Bailey (Ace Attorney)

I imagine this stage having stage hazzards that are references to spoilers from the Great Ace Attorney chronicles. So im not sure if i should be posting them since i dont know how many people here have played through the entirety of chronicles.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I've been endorsing this for quite a while now. Since we've tired out the DKC jungle stages, the minecart levels are probably the most iconic areas in those games to be unrepresented in Smash. So iconic in fact that it is getting its own theme park attraction at Universal. Pretty easy to envision how this stage would go, something akin to Big Blue but even more more tumultuous.

Gangplank Galleon is another one worth mentioning, although I like Wind Waker's Pirate Ship stage as well. Assuming next Smash will introduce mostly new stages, GG would be a good replacement thematically and would give K. Rool a proper home stage provided he also returns. Bramble Blast is a very striking and well loved locale from the series too so I think that'd be pretty neat. And that's just DKC alone, I haven't even gotten to other series stages.

Newer DKC games are probably worth a nod too, mainly Sunset Shore for its dynamic silhouettes (I wonder how they would approach this if they made it a stage in Smash?) and some Tropical Freeze stage could be fun if they leaned into the frozen element. Always thought Windmill Hills would be a good option too, I guess Windy Hill already plays with that sort of layout but it could be done better IMO.

There's just so many Tropical freeze levels that would work super well in Smash. On top of my head, Grassland groove could be super fun with moving giraffes and animals, Scorch N' Torch could have a gimmick with disappearing platforms on fire, Alpine incline with the bouncing balloons, Horn top hop with the windy music stuff. If I had to choose one, personally I'd create a stage that mixes 2 different elevels from the Juicy jungle world: Jelly jamboree and Frosty fruits. It would take some creative liberty, but some part of the stage would be made of boucning jelly, but after some time they would freeze and become icy platforms.

Ideally, I just really wish DK have a new game by the time the next Smash starts development. Sure I'd love a Tropical freeze stages, but at the end of the day it's already almost a 10 year old game, so it's not even really that recent representation.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
I find it funny that in the same post that's handwringing over violence there's also the argument that being in Multiversus (which Scorpion still isn't in as of yet), another crossover platform fighter that includes iconic children characters, would be an obstacle.

Thanks for defeating your own point I guess? lmao

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Its darkly amusing to me that once upon a time Warner Communications was in a financial disaster largely due to the mistakes of its game division (Atari) and now 40 years later it's the contemporary game division that's holding up the otherwise failing conglomerate that is Warner Bros Discovery.

Given their current struggles, WB would jump at the chance of including their properties in mega successful IP like Smash, previous inclusion in Multiversus be damned. And if Nintendo does see value in something like a Mortal Kombat inclusion, they're likely in an advantageous position negotiation wise because of the former company's current standing.

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
I find it funny that in the same post that's handwringing over violence there's also the argument that being in Multiversus (which Scorpion still isn't in as of yet), another crossover platform fighter that includes iconic children characters, would be an obstacle.

Thanks for defeating your own point I guess? lmao
1 No Handwringing whatsoever
2 These are my impressions about Nintendo's opinions.
3 My personal opinion on why Scorpion should NOT be included is entirely separate
4 it is the Possibility of getting into Multiversus , which i expect does is an additional reason fort Nintendo to Not Care to request any Mortal Kombat character,
5 The Only Western rep we have even seen so far is linked to a company which actually has a gaming subdivision. WB has no such division

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm not even going to bother replying to the other points but...

5 The Only Western rep we have even seen so far is linked to a company which actually has a gaming subdivision. WB has no such division
What? Who do you think made Mortal kombat, Hogwarts legacy and Batman arkham games? The books division? Yes they have a game division, it's called Warner bros Games and it includes Netherrealm, WB Montreal, TT Games, Monolith productions, Rocksteady and Avalanche software.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Aaaand i found another Yakuza song i want in smash lol

There's a point in Yakuza 5 where Kiryu goes to do this whole side game and it goes from an action RPG to a racing game, said racing game is just an initial D parody and there's this absolute banger of a song while Kiryu is racing.

I'm not even going to bother replying to the other points but...

What? Who do you think made Mortal kombat, Hogwarts legacy and Batman arkham games? The books division? Yes they have a game division, it's called Warner bros Games and it includes Netherrealm, WB Montreal, TT Games, Monolith productions, Rocksteady and Avalanche software.
I dont even think Disney has a gaming division at this point and Sora got in just fine lol

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
1 No Handwringing whatsoever
2 These are my impressions about Nintendo's opinions.
3 My personal opinion on why Scorpion should NOT be included is entirely separate
4 it is the Possibility of getting into Multiversus , which i expect does is an additional reason fort Nintendo to Not Care to request any Mortal Kombat character,
Point 5 got :ultgreninja:'d by CapitaineCrash.

That aside, if you think an MK rep is unlikely that's perfectly fine, there are plausible reasons to think as much. However, Schnee and Opossum's point about Multiversus still stands. Based on what we know there's no reason to believe that a potential inclusion in Multiversus would suddenly mean they couldn't also appear in another crossover title like Smash, even if it is within the same genre/subgenre. Moreover, the benefits of the promotion/spotlight that Smash provide outweigh the idea that they're "competing titles." And sure, technically they are, but Multiversus as a 2v2, competitive focused, free to play, GaaS title occupies enough of a different space that I don't think WB would turn down getting some advertising through Smash.

The more likely party to veto here is Nintendo, which is where I think most would agree with you.

I dont even think Disney has a gaming division at this point and Sora got in just fine lol
Disney still has Disney Interactive (not to be confused with the old Disney Interactive Studios which closed down in 2016) which serves as an umbrella for Disney Mobile, Marvel Games, and Disney Electronic Content.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Disney has made a few attempts at gaming divisions, and not been terribly successful at them much of the time (by their own admission). They might be one of the most prototypical examples of a big media company seeing the money made from game licenses and then deciding to cut out the middleman via getting directly involved with the industry, only to then struggle when they realize just difficult the market is and go back to just having their stuff licensed again.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Am I too late to list stages I’d like to see? I’m gonna do it anyway
  • I think The Depths from totk would be quite something
  • Mahi Mahi Resort from splatoon as a stage with changing water levels
  • I’d love to see Twilight Town from KH as a tour stage or just have us fight on the rooftops of Traverse Town
  • now if we ever get toad I’d love him to come with Goomba Galleon from tt. though that does make more sense for cap so maybe an mk stage like Toad’s Turnpike
  • I’d like to see a stage from Box Boy
  • I think the Museum from animal crossing could work, stylized like luigis mansion
  • Midnight Channel from persona 4?
That’ll do for now

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
To me the existence , Multiversus moves all WB characters from an extremely slim possibility to zero
Mortal Kombat one of the most notoriously violent video game franchises in history , happens to be the most obvious reason NOT to for Nintendo
He means you said one thing and defended it with another...

You did again haha

Oh I get it 2 thoughts 1 line ><

Fine.

Being in a game effects exactly one thing for Smash which obviously is that they're in a game and therefore fair to speculation (ignoring Jesus and the like since he's in several games lol.) MK being violent didn't stop several games from appearing on Nintendo consoles so I'm guessing Nintendo disagrees with you, as do I.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Being in a game effects exactly one thing for Smash which obviously is that they're in a game and therefore fair to speculation (ignoring Jesus and the like since he's in several games lol.) MK being violent didn't stop several games from appearing on Nintendo consoles so I'm guessing Nintendo disagrees with you, as do I.
How does Smash & SSBU being ( for good boys & girls ) line up with adding a Mortal Kombat character ?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Any fan made remixes you love so much that you wish it was a remix that was officially produced for Smash Ultimate? Here’s a recent favorite of mine:
Yes, there are tons actually. Here’s just a few of my favorites:

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Because characters are toned down all the time.
Exactly. Mortal Kombat characters specifically have been toned down multiple times as well. The first two movies were very tame and there was even a Mortal Kombat kids cartoon in the 90’s. Since then, they have been toned down in multiple games like Injustice. I don’t think the violence of the mainline series is as big of a hurdle as everyone makes it out to be. If it was, Smash would have never gotten Bayonetta or Snake.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Exactly. Mortal Kombat characters specifically have been toned down multiple times as well. The first two movies were very tame and there was even a Mortal Kombat kids cartoon in the 90’s. Since then, they have been toned down in multiple games like Injustice. I don’t think the violence of the mainline series is as big of a hurdle as everyone makes it out to be. If it was, Smash would have never gotten Bayonetta or Snake.
Funny thing is the cartoon was still rather violent, it just had no blood or gore for obvious reasons. And it worked fine as a concept(albeit, the show didn't do that great, but it had little chance of properly advertising the games, meaning it can't appeal to the people who would buy them anyway).

That said, it still did a lot better than Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. It helps to have better animation, better story, better characterization, and more accurate designs(not to say all were bad, but some like Motaro were bleh in the movie. Not super godawful, though. Like, there's worse).

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
How does Smash & SSBU being ( for good boys & girls ) line up with adding a Mortal Kombat character ?
Well, for instance MGS is vicious. Just the torture section alone is enough, but then there's the blood soaked hallway, or any number of images and scenearios that really do well to earn the M rating shared by MK. And yet Snake is in 2 games! Excuses aside he's there so honestly Scorpion can be too. It's not a huge stretch bro.

Janx_uwu

Smash Master
Writing Team
Smash has some violent looking attacks (like Ridley's) but they don't show any blood and there's no reason for Scorpion's to either. And for a Fatality, the one where he burns you into a skeleton is probably tame enough if played more cartoonishly.

If I was the one in charge, I'd give Scorpion and his opponents SNES sweat.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
And that's a very utilitarian response. Which makes sense for those with the responsibility of compiling the roster. Or trying to make actual predictions.

For the consumer, it's subjective. Where one might see a spot wasted, anyone who finds inclusions of that category to speak to them only infrequently, and enjoys at least some aspect of that character may find more value in that inclusion than gambling on a deck that seems stacked against their tastes.

Which is why the previous point made with which I contested wasn't "it's not smart to include Bubsy". It wasn't an objective claim. Even without the false promise of the spot otherwise being for someone you'd like, it was a claim as to how someone would feel, and that Bubsy is not the preferable character there. But if you prefer a dumb troll pick that amuses you over a potentially "worthy" but personally uninteresting addition, then that is the preferable character for you. It's your dollar.

I mean, do you want a character because they check the right boxes, or do you want them because you like them/their game? Do you wish for a character because they're likely or do you wish for them because something about them speaks to you? If you got a character you enjoy but wasn't a preferable use of resources, would you be upset? People like what they like. I'm usually happy for others when they get characters they want, but at the same time, those people aren't going to subsidize my copy. I would prefer the characters I prefer, I just know often they aren't realistic. But that's fine, your affinity doesn't have to be dictated by merit or the game's budget.

Same reason you can critique a prediction roster but it makes no sense to critique a wishlist. Not that Bubsy is on my wishlist, but if I had to make an endless one, he'd be above a number of more "worthy" candidates, just because I find the concept of his presence funny.

Actually being pragmatic poses an entirely different premise. And it's why no one is saying Bubsy will actually happen. Or at least, I hope they're not.
Thread has pretty much moved on, so I won't say too much.
But anyway, it's fine to prefer whichever character, but the thing I'm principally opposed to is adding a character specifically to be a joke, regardless of my personal interest level in that character. I was trying to avoid the "arguably worthy candidates" phrasing for this but couldn't think of anything better at the time.
Mostly it's that I think that if you're going to entertain the idea of a completely off-the-wall or unexpected pick, or choice that subverts the typical measures of merit for inclusion in some way, the choice should still at least have legitimate, though different, motivations behind it, for example some gameplay feature, representative niche they fill, personality quality, etc. You know, some reason why you'd unironically enjoy them. Even just "they seem likable and I have some interesting ideas on how to implement them," though pretty weak and generic without a lot more detail and nuance, is still infinitely better than a completely non-serious addition.
It's like if they put 1000 names into a hat, drew one out and it's my character. I'm happy they got in, but still not happy with the methodology that led them to the choice. Maybe some people will go farther than me to make their MWs more likely, but at a certain point I will simply have to disagree.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I love Sakurai’s sense of humor but I wish he never unleashed the “good boys and girls” line onto this community.
He didn't. That was the English dub by the translators. In the un-dubbed version, he simply talks about how her appearance wasn't able to happen because of the rating system/CERO. So in other words, it wasn't even his fault to begin with.

Last edited:

Slime Scholar

Smash Journeyman
Whether or not you could tone down a Mortal Kombat character is a silly debate, IMO. Of course you could. And I'm sure if Nintendo were to include them, they would. But the chances of Sub-Zero or Scorpion or whoever getting in is absolutely microscopic.

Call me lame (and I'm not saying this to tut-tut anyone who enjoys it) but I've always found the series' approach to gore and violence to be distasteful. It had a sort of campy novelty back when it was held back by the hardware of the time, and all the characters were crusty, pixelated, digitized actors, but over time it became increasingly realistic (in fidelity, if nothing else), elaborate and frankly, disturbing. It's like the difference between watching an anvil fall on Bugs Bunny's head vs. somebody slaughtering an actual rabbit in front of you.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Whether or not you could tone down a Mortal Kombat character is a silly debate, IMO. Of course you could. And I'm sure if Nintendo were to include them, they would. But the chances of Sub-Zero or Scorpion or whoever getting in is absolutely microscopic.

Call me lame (and I'm not saying this to tut-tut anyone who enjoys it) but I've always found the series' approach to gore and violence to be distasteful. It had a sort of campy novelty back when it was held back by the hardware of the time, and all the characters were crusty, pixelated, digitized actors, but over time it became increasingly realistic (in fidelity, if nothing else), elaborate and frankly, disturbing. It's like the difference between watching an anvil fall on Bugs Bunny's head vs. somebody slaughtering an actual rabbit in front of you.
Well to be honest, that should come as no surprised. As the series graphics progressed, so too would the violence that comes with it...and fans like it. So in order to satisfy those fans, they pretty much have to step it up in the next MK game. Or else, those fans could end being disappointed about the feature that made the series stood out the most.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Ive never really been able to get into the series because of this.

There is a MASSIVE disconnect between the goofy over the top blood and gore in the multiplayer gameplay yet a story that your meant to take seriously in the single player.

This isspecifically with the modern MK's, the ones that are hyper realistic, im fine with the older games in the series which had a more comic book esque vibe to them. (Even if the sprites were real actors of course)

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
Well to be honest, that should come as no surprised. As the series graphics progressed, so too would the violence that comes with it...and fans like it. So in order to satisfy those fans, they pretty much have to step it up in the next MK game. Or else, those fans could end being disappointed about the feature that made the series stood out the most.
If they made the violence look less real and more B-movie, like MK's initial inspirations are anyways, I might be more into it. Apparently they make their staff watch snuff films or something like that to get it right, which is, well, bad. Also generally think it mostly aesthetically looks muddy now, compared to what the 90's MK stuff does, but that's even more so a personal taste.

Top Bottom