• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace

The last amiibo

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
SO, um... any bets on the new Spirits? I'm definetly thinking at least one of those batches will be used for promotional reasons.
Most likely that.

Though it's most likely Nintendo spirits, I'd be very interested in seeing what third-party series could also get some spirits too.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Fwiw this doesn't necessarily support a port, or any actual substantial content added back to Ultimate.

Just that the Smash team is, ostensibly, active.

Remember when Super Mario Party randomly had online added to it after like three years of nothing? Because the dev team was actively making the impending Mario Party Superstars? I think what we have here is something along those lines.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
SMRPG pack with that one guy

Just to add a little spice to civil conversation
no need to beat around the bush. You can just say it's Geno.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Fwiw this doesn't necessarily support a port, or any actual substantial content added back to Ultimate.

Just that the Smash team is, ostensibly, active.

Remember when Super Mario Party randomly had online added to it after like three years of nothing? Because the dev team was actively making the impending Mario Party Superstars? I think what we have here is something along those lines.
The next Smash could already be in development RIGHT NOW

IMG_5282.jpeg

I mean it’s a cool thought but it’s also a bit of a no-brainer :nifty:

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
In this kind of moment, I would like to advise everyone to keep their expectations in check, especially about more content for Ultimate and a Ultimate Deluxe version. Just because something new is happening for Ultimate does not mean more new things will happen.

dream1ng

Smash Champion

As an Isaac supporter it's nice to see this joke being made about someone else for once

The next Smash could already be in development RIGHT NOW

View attachment 381375

I mean it’s a cool thought but it’s also a bit of a no-brainer :nifty:
Well the point wasn't that a Smash is in development, it's that some people are going to draw conclusions that it's more Ultimate specifically, whether a bigger update or a port

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'd be very interested in seeing what third-party series could also get some spirits too.
Might be jumping the gun a bit, but I feel like... if we get third party spirits, it could be a solid indication of who Sakurai / Nintendo may be in conversation with for the next game. Like maybe if the project plan is being worked out around this time or has been worked out recently, or even if they just wanted to get a jump start on things knowing they wanted to work with this or that company, I feel like it would be nothing but a good omen to see that there were in fact talks going on involving [insert company] and the Smash team around a presumed period of planning for the future.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
There will also be new spirits

New smash speculation time

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Wouldn't this be good time to fix online as well?

That would require a lot of actual work to get done compared to adding a few pngs. A complete overhaul of the online would likely take several months, if not a full year depending on how many people they have working on it. Plus, I highly doubt they'd allocate manpower/resources to fixing the online of a game from a console they're about to replace.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know, I just realized something... remember around the time of the latest Direct (back in Sept., I think?), there was that one person who """leaked""" that Alph would be added to Ultimate, reworked into a proper character with his own slot?

Imagine if that really came to pass...

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
New spirits is actually super weird when you think about it. Most people seems to predict that the spirits will be from newer Nintendo releases like Pokémon Scarlet violet and Xenoblade 3, but this raises the question... Why add them now? In the past, spirits events was from franchises that got nothing as dlc (such as Astral chain, Pokémon sword shield, Resident evil etc.). So you would think that they would wait to add spirits from newer game with a character in a later game. I see 2 explanations:

1) They don't have plans as of now for a future Smash games, so they will just add wathever spirits they want without think too much about future characters
2) They will specifically add spirits from franchises that are not likely to get characters (Another code maybe, small third party stuff similar to River city)

Either way this will be very interesting to follow. I'm just glad they still updating the game at all, would be cool to have bonus music too to represent more recent Nintendo games.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Assuming we're only doing first party Spirits, I'm assuming the eligible franchises inlcude:
  • Super Mario Wonder
  • Tears of the Kingdom
  • Pikmin 4
  • Fire Emblem Engage
  • Pokémon Legends: Arceus
  • Pokémon Scarlet and Violet
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  • Splatoon 3
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  • Bayonetta 3 (I know I'm stretching but the game was funded and published by Nintendo shut up)
  • Fire Emblem Heroes
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League
  • Luigi's Mansion 3

Honestly, I wish they still did Spirit Events after Evil Ryu.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
"would these Spirits disconfirm characters for the next game?"

yeah I was thinking that, too...but also not sure how I feel about opening that can of worms of a discussion...at least in this case the answer should be enough in doubt that it won't just completely shut down discussion of certain characters

dream1ng

Smash Champion
New spirits is actually super weird when you think about it. Most people seems to predict that the spirits will be from newer Nintendo releases like Pokémon Scarlet violet and Xenoblade 3, but this raises the question... Why add them now?
Because the dev team has been reformed.

I would assume it's that Namco Studio S or whatever it was called.

In the past, spirits events was from franchises that got nothing as dlc (such as Astral chain, Pokémon sword shield, Resident evil etc.). So you would think that they would wait to add spirits from newer game with a character in a later game.

I see 2 explanations:

1) They don't have plans as of now for a future Smash games, so they will just add wathever spirits they want without think too much about future characters
2) They will specifically add spirits from franchises that are not likely to get characters (Another code maybe, small third party stuff similar to River city)
Or:
  • Spirits won't be in the next game, there will be something new like how spirits replaced trophies
  • The spirits added will be mostly promotional, so it makes sense to add them around the game itself or before the games they are promoting are no longer on the main system they are promoting
  • Spirits aren't that important so they don't really care about adding them before they'd add a corresponding character, like how they added an Inkling trophy in 4 via DLC.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

yeah I was thinking that, too...but also not sure how I feel about opening that can of worms of a discussion...at least in this case the answer should be enough in doubt that it won't just completely shut down discussion of certain characters
Imagine if its the other way around.

Like how in Street fighter 5 the game was done until they randomly decided to add more characters after the fact and the last one was Luke, the poster boy of Street fighter 6 as a sneak peek to that game.

So one of these spirits would be one of the newcomers for next game.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Geno and Mallow already have Spirits.

Assuming we're only doing first party Spirits, I'm assuming the eligible franchises inlcude:
  • Super Mario Wonder
  • Tears of the Kingdom
  • Pikmin 4
  • Fire Emblem Engage
  • Splatoon 3
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  • Bayonetta 3 (I know I'm stretching but the game was funded and published by Nintendo shut up)
  • Fire Emblem Heroes
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
Jesus dude. The event only lasts 5 days.

It's an "Ultimate 5-year anniversary" event. It's gonna be a couple Smash-related spirits.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion

If they're separate games then... no.

Adding a png in Ultimate won't rob the reaction of revealing a full blown character like two years later.

They added K. Rool, Inkling, and Isabelle costumes (and trophy, for Inkling) to 4 via DLC literally while creating Ultimate's base roster.

But on the flip side, while this may be in proximity to when things are getting licensed for next base, reading too much into who may get a spirit event, especially any third-parties, could very plausibly backfire.

• Super Mario Wonder
  • Tears of the Kingdom
  • Pikmin 4
  • Fire Emblem Engage
  • Splatoon 3
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  • Fire Emblem Heroes
  • Luigi's Mansion 3

Honestly, I wish they still did Spirit Events after Evil Ryu.
I would assume some of these games will supply most of the spirits.

But it's also Smash so I could see them just being like "Overwatch spirit event next week ok bye" or something just totally random and then after that it's back to Princess Peach Showtime.

Edit: missed there were only going to be four events. Yeah, random third-parties probably won't be involved. I'd like to walk that part back.

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Imagine if its the other way around.

Like how in Street fighter 5 the game was done until they randomly decided to add more characters after the fact and the last one was Luke, the poster boy of Street fighter 6 as a sneak peek to that game.

So one of these spirits would be one of the newcomers for next game.
I don't think the Spirits added from this event mean anything in regards to newcomers of the next game. Like most pre-release theories, they have no solid evidence to back them up.

However, I do believe that this means that the next Smash game is at a significant state of development. As in, they have decided on the dev team, and they have a good idea on what the game and the roster will be like.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
If they're separate games then... no.

Adding a png in Ultimate won't rob the reaction of revealing a full blown character like two years later.

They added K. Rool, Inkling, and Isabelle costumes (and trophy, for Inkling) to 4 via DLC literally while creating Ultimate's base roster.
Fair enough, though my thought was that this batch of content being so far after-the-fact of the game being essentially finished would make it slightly more awkward, you know to go out of the way to do such minor shilling for picks you already have bigger plans for

Edit: but like I said, in any case you wouldn't be able to definitively determine that it's a disconfirmation, even if somehow it did turn out to be a situation of them saying, for example, "well, Xenoblade 3 isn't going to be relevant enough for a PC next game, so we may as well promote it now with a Spirit event we have a convenient excuse for doing due to the anniversary." As in, if that really was the deal, then there would be no way to conclude it from what we know.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Fair enough, though my thought was that this batch of content being so far after-the-fact of the game being essentially finished would make it slightly more awkward, you know to go out of the way to do such minor shilling for picks you already have bigger plans for

Edit: but like I said, in any case you wouldn't be able to definitively determine that it's a disconfirmation, even if somehow it did turn out to be a situation of them saying, for example, "well, Xenoblade 3 isn't going to be relevant enough for a PC next game, so we may as well promote it now with a Spirit event we have a convenient excuse for doing due to the anniversary." As in, if that really was the deal, then there would be no way to conclude it from what we know.
At this point it's weird Ultimate is getting any content so far after-the-fact. But it's less weird when it's likely just indicative of the team reforming and work having begun again on what's next, with some very resource-light work being done on Ultimate. None of these games are mutually exclusive where if they're a character next time they can't be a spirit now, or if they're a spirit now they can't be a character next time.

As for that hypothetical with XC3, it could just as easily be "XC3 is relevant/current now, so it will get the playable spot, and it will get a promotional spirit event", with those two happening to be for different games - because there's currently two Smash games getting content, just at very different stages of development. It's not like they're like, "Alear will be revealed in two years so we can't promote Engage now in a different game".

It would be weird if, years down the line, they revealed some TotK character for the next game and then went back to give Ultimate some TotK spirit event. That would be very weird. But atm Ultimate is still the current Smash game, and whatever characters are next won't be seen for a while still. Like you said, it's not like this actually reveals their hand at all as to who will be added down the line. They're different games so there doesn't need to be the sense of one role not happening because it's saved for another, different role in a future game. A spirit preceding a character across games doesn't infringe on much.

Also fwiw if it's truly anniversary-oriented there's the chance they don't even use these events for promotion.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
At this point it's weird Ultimate is getting any content so far after-the-fact. But it's less weird when it's likely just indicative of the team reforming and work having begun again on what's next, with some very resource-light work being done on Ultimate. None of these games are mutually exclusive where if they're a character next time they can't be a spirit now, or if they're a spirit now they can't be a character next time.

As for that hypothetical with XC3, it could just as easily be "XC3 is relevant/current now, so it will get the playable spot, and it will get a promotional spirit event", with those two happening to be for different games - because there's currently two Smash games getting content, just at very different stages of development. It's not like they're like, "Alear will be revealed in two years so we can't promote Engage now in a different game".

It would be weird if, years down the line, they revealed some TotK character for the next game and then went back to give Ultimate some TotK spirit event. That would be very weird. But atm Ultimate is still the current Smash game, and whatever characters are next won't be seen for a while still. Like you said, it's not like this actually reveals their hand at all as to who will be added down the line. They're different games so there doesn't need to be the sense of one role not happening because it's saved for another, different role in a future game. A spirit preceding a character across games doesn't infringe on much.

Also fwiw if it's truly anniversary-oriented there's the chance they don't even use these events for promotion.
I guess I pretty much just agree. I think some weird thought process like what I suggested in the Xenoblade example is possible, but as we've both said, we wouldn't be able to discern such a thought process anyway even if it existed. So, practically speaking, we shouldn't treat these Ult Spirits as disconfirmations. Which is fine, because the way disconfirmations can plummet demand for certain characters is one of the most unfortunate happenstances of Smash speculation.

And yeah I have no idea what these Spirits would be. Tbh I think it may even be more likely that they're strictly anniversary-oriented rather than cross-promoting recent games.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The Game Awards will be odd place to announce the addition of spirits from Everybody 1-2 Switch (including the horse head guy) for Smash, but that's Nintendo for you.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Jesus dude. The event only lasts 5 days.

It's an "Ultimate 5-year anniversary" event. It's gonna be a couple Smash-related spirits.
they also said there were going to be 4 new spirit events starting in january

though it is curious that some of you are looking backwards in terms of the new events even though most of the old ones were for upcoming games. of course the nintendo game out in januray is the other code remakes and i imagine some of you would scoff at it getting a spirit event but there's still princess peach showtime and the paper mario remaster next year and they seem plausible to me

Aaayei

Smash Cadet
To clear things up, it's specifically 4 seperate spirit events that kicks off in January. Not just one.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
they also said there were going to be 4 new spirit events starting in january

though it is curious that some of you are looking backwards in terms of the new events even though most of the old ones were for upcoming games. of course the nintendo game out in januray is the other code remakes and i imagine some of you would scoff at it getting a spirit event but there's still princess peach showtime and the paper mario remaster next year and they seem plausible to me
Thousand year door already has spirits so im not sure what else they could add that's relevant to the game.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I think it'll be mainly 1st party spirit events (for all 4), but I can seem them doing AT LEAST 1 third-party event. Maybe 2.

Top Bottom