• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

smashkirby

Smash Hero
speaking of dr wright I feel he needs a tune. he’s been in three smash games now and I’ve seen him hit about once. I think he should chase people before summoning buildings
Oh, without a DOUBT. A future Smash game has just GOT to revamp Dr. Wright already. If anything, you're lucky. I legit can't remember the last time I've EVER seen him hit anyone (Be it human players or CPU-controlled characters) with those fancy buildings of his.

It's funny though... I think Source Gaming translated this one question posed to Sakurai by a fan during Melee's heyday where said fan apparently requested for Dr. Wright to be playable in Melee (or a future Smash game), and Sakurai's response was basically 'Look, I'm not a miracle worker'.

As someone who would genuinely like for Dr. Wright to be playable in a Smash Bros. game... well, I can't say I'm holding my breath if the guy's been an Assist character for 3 games straight now...

So I just beat the 2014 Strider reboot.

I really want Strider Hiryu in Smash. He's never happening but he'd be sick.
Speaking of Strider, I hope MvC4 (whenever it might happen) prompts Capcom to look back on their history and add the lesser-known characters like Jin Saotome and Captain Commando. Heck, I'd certainly like to play as Saki Omokane in a new Capcom Vs. game...

I also just beat Elite Beat Agents.

Put them in the game too. That game is a treasure.

My hand hurts.
While I'm imagining Rhythm Heaven's probably got a better chance of getting a playable rep in Smash, I'd still love to see the Agents be playable as well.

Out of curiosity, how would the Ouendan factor into this (if they were even on your mind)? Final Smash cameos? Alph-styled alternate skins for the Agents or something?

For that matter, what about the Elite Beat Divas (and Ouendan Cheerleaders, as long as I'm bringing the Divas up)?

Guys, speaking of Smash 6, do you think they'll try a story mode again? Would it be more like SE or WoL?
It's funny, I'm actually playing through SSE again for the first time in, like, 6-7 years. Definitely stiffer movement than I remember, but I'll still take a version of THIS than another WoL "story" mode. Like, the slightly stiff movement aside? I'm genuinely having more fun playing through this than THAT.

You know... between Sakurai going on record to state that part of why SSE even came to be in Brawl was because Nintendo willingly gave the Brawl dev team additional dev time... and now Nintendo's making a notable point of letting dev teams cook for MUCH longer (Super Mario Wonder, TotK, Metroid Dread and ESPECIALLY Metroid Prime 4, Xenoblade 3, etc.), I can't help but wonder that maybe an SSE-styled story ISN'T totally out of the cards.

For what it's worth, I've seen some folks speculate that while people uploading SSE cutscenes to YT was another factor, the MAIN thing preventing another SSE-type mode might simply be that Nintendo just wasn't willing to allocate that much dev time to Smash Bros. for such a thing. But between the stuff I just mentioned AND Smash possibly having a dedicated dev team...

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Guys, speaking of Smash 6, do you think they'll try a story mode again? Would it be more like SE or WoL?
I'd rather they not do a story and use the time and resources to develop more important aspects of the game.
I wouldn't be opposed to a rougelike Great Maze/Smash Run mode, though. I think something like that would have much greater replay value than any of the Adventure Modes if done right.

Stratos

Smash Ace
The truth is that I hope it's like The Subspace Emissary, but I won't mind if it's like World of Light. Or maybe a combination of both? However, like The Subspace Emissary I definitely want it to be.

ShotoStar

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it would work with how the cinematics are handled as is and how broad the scope is factoring licensing for cutscenes and whatnot. The only way I could see a "Story Mode" working in this day and age, this also being what I hoped WoL would do before we knew the specifics, is have the characters interact in a Project X Zone/Fire Emblem-like manner with character portraits and written dialogue as opposed to fully-cinematic cutscenes as the reveal trailers have that covered already. My perfect "story mode" factoring in the constraints of the current artstyle Smash utilizes would have the gameplay be like Melee Adventure Mode but each character has their own route ala Ult. Classic Mode and they utilize the FE-style dialogue presentation for each character's individual routes

Oracle Link

Smash Master
If Sonic gets a second character, it should be Knuckles. Shadow is fine I guess, but I'd vastly prefer the Echidna. I guess Shadow's corny edginess can be funny, but Smash already has an over the top edgelord in Dark Pit. In terms of moveset, I feel like Knuckles could bring in a more unique playstyle. I don't like the Sonic series at all but I enjoyed him in Project+. He also has one of the more appealing designs in his series to me (as appealing as those designs can get...)
Shadow being edgy depends are we talking about Vegeshadow (since 06 and shadow) Or Og Shadow (SA2, Heroes and 06)
Og Shadow was only edgy a couple of times!

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Re: Sonic Character

If there is a second Sonic character to the roster, I’d prefer Tails from the more realistic choices, but here is my most wanted one.

Regarding a story mode, I think something that’s a cross between WoL and Melee’s Adventure Mode may work.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
In terms of a new Adventure Mode, this is what I would want:
  • The entire mode takes place on a singular gigantic stage, where you'll come across all sorts of landscapes from the fighters' home universes. There are linear platforming areas reminiscent of the Mushroom Kingdom and DK Island, hazardous dungeons like the ones seen in Hyrule, with the likes of Bowser's airship and the Great Fox soaring in the skies above. Elements from different series are often fused; don't be surprised if you see Samus' gunship hanging around a medieval castle.
  • You initially explore a small, secluded island, about the size of the Temple stage (tutorial area) and unlock more areas as you progress. The progression isn't linear, as there are split paths, but you also aren't completely free.
  • Iconic landmarks like Peach's Castle, Hyrule Castle, Battleship Halberd and Palutena's Temple appear on this land (I have a plot explanation trust me), and exploring them will serve an important role in progression.
  • The overall composition of this mode's area is similar to Smash Run's stage, but much, much larger. The enemies from Smash Run return as well, alongside new enemies from the fighters' home series.
  • There are sub-areas that host bonus games such as Break the Targets, Board the Platforms, Race/Climb to the Finish, Mob Smash, etc. These bonus games increase your rewards, but don't progress the story.
  • Your starting roster is tiny, maybe consisting of one or two fighters, but you'll quickly recruit new ones as you explore new places. Certain fighters are required for certain areas; you might need a fighter who can wall jump to reach new heights, one who can crawl to cross a narrow gap, or one with a fire attack to set off a fuse and cause an explosion, unlocking new pathways.
  • In the overworld, you'll sometimes meet NPCs that will assign you different tasks—such as defeating a certain amount of enemies or bringing a certain item to them—in exchange for extra rewards or helpful items. You will interact with them through written dialogue.
  • Major plot points, such as unlocking a new area, meeting a new important ally, or encountering a boss will trigger CGI cutscenes. These are few and far between but really show off the interactions between characters, unlike WoL's cutscenes.
  • The characters can also sometimes interact through dialogue in the overworld. However, characters who are traditionally mute will remain as such.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
For a MetroidVania Adventure Mode, I would like to see dungeon areas for each boss kinda like in the Ori series. So like, Dracula's Dungeon would have an area called Dracula's Abode, a gothic castle mixed with art deco elements (Luigi's Mansion), and is host to several undead enemy types:
  • Redead (The Legend of Zelda)
  • Boo (Super Mario)
  • Dry Bones (Super Mario)
  • Revanant (Fire Emblem)
  • Chandelure (Pokémon)
  • Skeleton (Castlevania)
  • Werewolf (Castlevania)
Maybe not that exact list, but something like that.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The main thing I want for the adventure mode is local co-op play. I had several issues with World of Light in comparison to Subspace Emissary but that was one of the biggest. I also miss the platforming stages. Now that so many of the stages are basically simple Battlefield variants, I feel like Smash is losing that part of its identity. I’d be happy with either multiple separate stages like SSE or a single large MetroidVania world.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
This! We're not in the 90s anymore.
It's like when older millenials and gen x where shocked when people didn't know what fatal fury or castlevania even was when Terry and Ritcher where revealed.
If me, a 27 year old zoomer that frequents smash speculation frequently was barely aware of fatal fury and castlevania....imagine the average younger zoomer...lol.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's like when older millenials and gen x where shocked when people didn't know what fatal fury or castlevania even was when Terry and Ritcher where revealed.
If me, a 27 year old zoomer that frequents smash speculation frequently was barely aware of fatal fury and castlevania....imagine the average younger zoomer...lol.
It’s definitely a weird feeling having grown up in a completely different era than most people here. A lot of my most wanted characters were at their most popular during the NES and SNES days before many here were even born. It’s understandable why people born later wouldn’t care about those games or characters much but it is a little sad at the same time.

One example (and I’m not entirely sure if it was just me and my group of friends), I always thought RARE was a much more important part of Nintendo’s history than most people I see these days. At a point during the SNES and N64, I actually thought many of their games were actually better than Nintendo’s own first party equivalents. When I go on sites like GameFAQS now, all I see are people saying their games were never any good. We didn’t have big internet communities back then so maybe my own experience with those games never matched the general public.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm barely any older than you are. Maybe you're just ignorant of the landscape around you.

And by that age, you're not a zoomer. You're a millennial.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Who are your most wanted villains?

Mine are DJ Octavio, King Boo, and Pig Ganon
Vaati, Tatanga, DJ Octavio, Raven Beak, Lord Fredrik the Snowmad King, Fawful, Captain Syrup, Porky, Panther Caruso, Arvis (Fire Emblem 4)

I'm barely any older than you are. Maybe you're just ignorant of the landscape around you.

Pretty sure at 27 he's born after 1996. Which puts him out of Millenial. Barely, but he's Gen Z.

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman

I'm 19 and he's kinda right. Almost nobody in my age group had heard of Simon/Richter or Terry. It's not a matter of ignorance, it's just that those games aren't doing that well nowadays.

Not that I'm complaining. I love when Smash introduces franchises I'm not familiar with. Fire Emblem became one of my favorites after I first saw Marth and Ike in Brawl.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Technically speaking he'd only be a millennial if he were turning 28 this year. The cutoff year for the last of the millennials is 1996, while the first of Gen Z are 1997.

(I know this because I'm a 1996 person lmao).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I almost have to remind myself sometimes that not everyone is as old as me lol. I get caught up sometimes talking about characters from my childhood I’m nostalgic for that most people these days have no connection to at all. It does make me curious how many characters were big before my own time. I’m 40 and grew up with the NES and SNES so maybe I was just born at the perfect time just as gaming characters were beginning to actually be a thing. I’m sure some of the older people here are familiar with more early gaming characters before I started.

DKing

Smash Rookie
I think the only answer is to check if EA is credited in any of the Smash games, including Melee.

I don’t think they are, so I think Nintendo owns the character.
Thanks, trying to keep the conversation about assist trophy who do you think could be news assist trophy. As far as I remember since brawl to ultimate there is always a news assist trophy. (I think dig dug could be a good assist trophies).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Alright, I’m curious about something. This one’s probably for DarthEnderX or Succumbio but anyone can feel free to answer. Are there any video game characters originating from before the NES that you’d either like to see in Smash or even think there’s a chance? We have a couple like Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, and Mr. Game & Watch but I’m having a hard time thinking of too many others. The only characters I can think of are Q-Bert, Frogger, and Pitfall Harry but I’m not even 100% sure when they debuted. I think they’re all from before NES.

DKing

Smash Rookie
Alright, I’m curious about something. This one’s probably for DarthEnderX or Succumbio but anyone can feel free to answer. Are there any video game characters originating from before the NES that you’d either like to see in Smash or even think there’s a chance? We have a couple like Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, and Mr. Game & Watch but I’m having a hard time thinking of too many others. The only characters I can think of are Q-Bert, Frogger, and Pitfall Harry but I’m not even 100% sure when they debuted. I think they’re all from before NES.
Dig dug as an assist trophy

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Q*Bert and Pitfall Harry would be my biggest ones (and both from 1982 do predate the NES/Famicom).

The Yar of Yars' Revenge would be cool.

Gilgamesh (tower of Druaga) does not predate the Famicom, but does predate the NES... and is already a mii costume I think.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Guys who do think hold the rights of Dr. Wright Nintendo or EA because I look it and Google couldn't give a clear answer.
Dr. Wright is literally the Reverse Geno if that helps lol.

Nintendo specifically owns everything original to their version of SimCity, which includes Dr. Wright, despite not owning the Sims franchise. It's like how Square-Enix owns all of the original content in Super Mario RPG, like Geno and Mallow, despite Nintendo owning the Mario IP.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Alright, I’m curious about something. This one’s probably for DarthEnderX or Succumbio but anyone can feel free to answer. Are there any video game characters originating from before the NES that you’d either like to see in Smash or even think there’s a chance?
I dunno, I can’t think of too many characters from the Precambrian era 🤔

Top Bottom