• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Brinstar Depths? It wasn't in 4, just Melee and Ultimate. Mario and Zelda were the only existing series to get new stages in base.
That's the one but I had no idea it was in Melee ha

Brb

:O

Dude that's beautiful why did they remake it that stage is terrifying I love it!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The just released the latest Contra trailer yesterday and it’s actually looking really good. Hopefully, if the game is successful, it helps Bill and Lance’s chances for the next Smash. I also noticed that Bill seems to be played by one of my favorite voice actors in Steve Blum. If we do get a Contra character, would you prefer them to be silent like classic games or voiced like the modern ones?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
The just released the latest Contra trailer yesterday and it’s actually looking really good. Hopefully, if the game is successful, it helps Bill and Lance’s chances for the next Smash. I also noticed that Bill seems to be played by one of my favorite voice actors in Steve Blum. If we do get a Contra character, would you prefer them to be silent like classic games or voiced like the modern ones?

YAY! Contra in next Smash please, Nintendo!

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion

Voiced like the modern ones, which I think is most likely the case after seeing Simon and Richter.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Voiced like the modern ones, which I think is most likely the case after seeing Simon and Richter.
Yeah, that’s a good point about Simon and Richter. I was thinking of how they made Mega Man mute in Smash even though he talks in later games. It seems like they’ve gone in both directions. I like voiced now too, especially if that means we get Steve Blum in Smash.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Yeah, that’s a good point about Simon and Richter. I was thinking of how they made Mega Man mute in Smash even though he talks in later games. It seems like they’ve gone in both directions. I like voiced now too, especially if that means we get Steve Blum in Smash.
I guess it really just depends on the character. For Mega Man, they made him a lot more like his NES version, whereas Simon has traits taken from different versions. I expect Bill and Lance to be more like Simon in that case. Plus, with the way they're designed, they wouldn't look right not having any voices anyway.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m just really hoping this game does well. It seems like a great step in the right direction for the series after whatever happened with that other Switch Contra game. I feel like Bill is a great retro character from the NES era and some added relevance on modern consoles can only help.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I guess it really just depends on the character. For Mega Man, they made him a lot more like his NES version, whereas Simon has traits taken from different versions. I expect Bill and Lance to be more like Simon in that case. Plus, with the way they're designed, they wouldn't look right not having any voices anyway.
I'd be fine if they handled them the same as :ultsimon::ultrichter:, my bigger question though is if they'd be echoes of each other like the former, or if Lance would be treated like a P2 costume. I suppose they could go either way but given that unlike the Belmont's there are no actual gameplay differences between Bill and Lance (my knowledge of Contra is limited so please correct me if future games created differences), I could also see them being treated as one character with Bill as the main one and Lance taking up the even numbered costume slots. If they do go the costume route, what do think the odds are of getting Probotector costumes or maybe even Lucia? Would you be happy with that, or would you prefer them sticking to the main duo?

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Speaking of Mega Man, I have this dumb personal debacle if He qualifies as Anime or Scrimbo.

Unlike the more darker sequels set thousands of years after, the Classic series seems more colorful and charming. Yeah, it has a few serious moments, but in that case, the classic Mega Man is in both sides of the spectrum, He's cartoony and Shōnen-y at the same time. End of the Story.

Sorry people, I need to say it.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'd be fine if they handled them the same as :ultsimon::ultrichter:, my bigger question though is if they'd be echoes of each other like the former, or if Lance would be treated like a P2 costume. I suppose they could go either way but given that unlike the Belmont's there are no actual gameplay differences between Bill and Lance (my knowledge of Contra is limited so please correct me if future games created differences), I could also see them being treated as one character with Bill as the main one and Lance taking up the even numbered costume slots. If they do go the costume route, what do think the odds are of getting Probotector costumes or maybe even Lucia? Would you be happy with that, or would you prefer them sticking to the main duo?
I'm expecting them to be alts of each other if they get in but I'm fine either way. I haven't played the more recent games in the series so I don't know if Lance has any differences from Bill now. If so, I could see an echo working.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I'd rather they stick with the main duo.

As for whether they'd be echos or costumes, it could work either way. I haven't played all the Contra games myself but there's plenty of weapons throughout the series to make them different from each other if they want to. But since they're known for playing identical for most of the series, they could be treated as one character and I don't think anybody would mind.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The only issue I see with alts of all the newer characters is that Bill has a pretty bulky frame while Lucia is a lot thinner. If they can figure out how to make them both work, I’m down for it but all I really need is the original duo myself. Anything extra is just a bonus in my opinion.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Speaking of Mega Man, I have this dumb personal debacle if He qualifies as Anime or Scrimbo.

Unlike the more darker sequels set thousands of years after, the Classic series seems more colorful and charming. Yeah, it has a few serious moments, but in that case, the classic Mega Man is in both sides of the spectrum, He's cartoony and Shōnen-y at the same time. End of the Story.

He was always MANGA because Astro Boy .

Sorry I need to say it .

And not end of story because he isn't a "mascot" in America until the 89 cartoon made him one based on game rental sales and overall market performance along with Simon Belmont etc. In Japan his popularity is obviously much higher as he's in a million more games.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I do wonder if Steve Blum really is voicing one of those characters in Contra? It'd be cool if he is.
I think it has to be him after watching the trailer again. I’m almost positive he’s the voice for Bill Rizer. I could be wrong but I’m generally pretty good at recognizing voice actors, especially ones I’ve heard in tons of games and anime. Steve Blum voiced some of my favorite gaming characters in Zegram Ghart, Sub-Zero and Vincent Valentine so he might as well voice another of my most wanted characters lol.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
If Richter comes back for the next smash I wonder if his Netflix actor will replace the one in smash.
I haven't seen the Netflix Castlevania myself but given that that adaptation is a different version of the character, I don't think that's likely. From the clips I have seen though, it'd be kind of jarring hearing that voice come out of classic/Smash Richter.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I haven't seen the Netflix Castlevania myself but given that that adaptation is a different version of the character, I don't think that's likely. From the clips I have seen though, it'd be kind of jarring hearing that voice come out of classic/Smash Richter.
Pokémon say their name like in the anime, instead of their cries from the games.
It's fair game.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Mega Man is from that 3rd generation era that really rode the line between more Western cartoon influence and anime elements. A lot of the early Wonder Boy games fall into that same category where the protagonists clearly have some inspiration from both schools of design.

The new Contra is looking pretty solid. I'd love to see some of the characters from Hard Corps pop up in Smash given how out there they are.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Pokémon say their name like in the anime, instead of their cries from the games.
It's fair game.
Not exactly, the Pokemon anime is much more intertwined with the brand than the Castlevania Netflix show, which is rather an adaptation / interpretation by a separate party from Konami. “Pokemon Company” exists to mandate every facet of the series, those are about as officially produced as you can get and created parallel to any new games. Lucario's movie was his official debut, as a frame of reference.

Richter getting his Castlevania voice is, in an extreme sense, not that different than getting Chris Pratt to play Mario. That's not an official voice... compared to David Vincent, who has played Richter in two official video games prior to his entry into Smash.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The thing with Konami is that they're fairly hands off with a lot of their more Western oriented game properties. The Netflix show itself seems like one where they figured the service and/or the writers could be trusted enough with the material to where they wouldn't have to supervise it too strongly. They could potentially push for the voice from the show's Richter be used in the next Smash, but it's just as likely that if David Vincent is easier/cheaper to procure than Edward Bluemel, they'll go with the former.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
David Hayter is the only essential va afaic.
There are a lot of great and essential VAs in Smash, although I specifically want to shout out Antony Del Rio as :ultpit:.

We've been seeing the Uprising cast shift over the past two games, presumably as a result of Nintendo's less-than-stellar policies regarding union VAs (Del Rio isn't even credited for his role - really, really sucks), but man he breathes so much life into this character and I hope we never lose him. Pit has just got such a unique pep emanating from that performance that makes him instantly lovable. He never learned how to read!!!

I was already sad enough to lose Hynden Walch as Viridi... no offense to her replacement.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
That's the one but I had no idea it was in Melee ha

Brb

:O

Dude that's beautiful why did they remake it that stage is terrifying I love it!
Odds are if a stage is super wacky or has a weird premise or an even weirder layout it probably came from 64 or Melee. They were EXPERIMENTING back then.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Odds are if a stage is super wacky or has a weird premise or an even weirder layout it probably came from 64 or Melee. They were EXPERIMENTING back then.
I still think 64 and Melee had many of the best stages. I liked how so many of them had unique layouts that made you feel like you were actually in the locations. Some Ultimate stages are pretty boring and are basically Battlefield variants. Smash 4 went a bit too far with stage gimmicks like intrusive bosses like Yellow Devil, overly large stages like Palutena’s Temple or Great Cave Offensive or annoying stage gimmicks like Orbital Gate Assault. All cool in theory but kind of annoying in practice.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Speaking of stages there's 2 I can think of where someone talks to you the one with viridi who is cool and then some old guy on the flying boat but I don't know that game but I'd like more talking stages .

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Speaking of stages there's 2 I can think of where someone talks to you the one with viridi who is cool and then some old guy on the flying boat but I don't know that game but I'd like more talking stages .
When i suggested SRW OG joining Smash bros i had an idea where some of the characters have one or two lines about the fighters on the stage because in the actual games the original characters usual haveuniue lines of dialogue when their fighting licensed villains from the various anime this series uses.

I thought that would be cool.

I still think 64 and Melee had many of the best stages. I liked how so many of them had unique layouts that made you feel like you were actually in the locations. Some Ultimate stages are pretty boring and are basically Battlefield variants. Smash 4 went a bit too far with stage gimmicks like intrusive bosses like Yellow Devil, overly large stages like Palutena’s Temple or Great Cave Offensive or annoying stage gimmicks like Orbital Gate Assault. All cool in theory but kind of annoying in practice.
I didnt know when else to post this but i really hate the Xenoblade 2 stage, its like the only one in Ultimate that feels like your in the location rather than standing in front of it, but its way too small and its not fun to fight on.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
There are a lot of great and essential VAs in Smash, although I specifically want to shout out Antony Del Rio as :ultpit:.

We've been seeing the Uprising cast shift over the past two games, presumably as a result of Nintendo's less-than-stellar policies regarding union VAs (Del Rio isn't even credited for his role - really, really sucks), but man he breathes so much life into this character and I hope we never lose him. Pit has just got such a unique pep emanating from that performance that makes him instantly lovable. He never learned how to read!!!

I was already sad enough to lose Hynden Walch as Viridi... no offense to her replacement.
And you know what totally kills me? Apparently, Ali Hillis was more than willing to reprise her role as Palutena for Smash 4, but scheduling conflicts got in her way at the time.

Come Smash Ultimate, where Nintendo's stance on union VAs is more solidified, and Ali says that because of THAT, she wouldn't be reprising the role for Ultimate either. Once again, she WANTED to return, but... yeah, union stuff.

Side note, but I think David Hayter's gone on record saying that Nintendo didn't call him in to provide Snake with any new lines, yet he was more than willing to come and do just that. In David's case, I can't tell if it was the union thing or Colonel Campbell's JP VA passing away that made them not want to do new Codecs, but clearly David was bummed out.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
old guy on a flying boat? i feel like i'm missing something

Last edited:
Top Bottom