• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I took it as being four new spirit events in total starting January 2024, rather than four new spirit events in January alone. (I'm guessing it'll be Fire Emblem Engage, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, and Pokemon Scarlet/Violet if it's four in total) Then again, I haven't played much of Tears Of The Kingdom, so I'm not sure if there'd be enough new characters to support a full spirit event.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I took it as being four new spirit events in total starting January 2024, rather than four new spirit events in January alone. (I'm guessing it'll be Fire Emblem Engage, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, and Pokemon Scarlet/Violet if it's four in total) Then again, I haven't played much of Tears Of The Kingdom, so I'm not sure if there'd be enough new characters to support a full spirit event.
well they did say starting in January so you were right

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Wait, what happened?
The company had been receiving threats targeting employees, which spread to spectators too. So the event was cancelled out of safety concerns. Some of the bigger tournaments had been prostponed, but the smaller tournaments had been cancelled entirely.

1701969644935.png

Sakurai himself also commented on the situation, with a Smash Bros tournament being cancelled.

1701969740630.png

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The company had been receiving threats targeting employees, which spread to spectators too. So the event was cancelled out of safety concerns. Some of the bigger tournaments had been prostponed, but the smaller tournaments had been cancelled entirely.

View attachment 381395

Sakurai himself also commented on the situation, with a Smash Bros tournament being cancelled.

View attachment 381396
Why would people make such death threats towards such people? This is unfair for the fans.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Need more context for what reason are the threat for
Is there really a justifiable reason to threaten employees or attendees? Constructive criticism of a company is one thing, but going into threats that force them to cancel events, is not really the same ballpark.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I was going to quickly glance at the forum since it's the anniversary and all, but new spirits is a nice surprise (It always did feel a bit weird having Evil Ryu on his own as the final spirit). I'm not expecting anything beyond spirits to be coming, but at the same time, it's the game's anniversary, the anniversary of Joker at TGA, etc... (For the record I would be shocked if anything was announced for the series even within the next like 3 years, and they're probably only doing this because they had to go back to add Sora's amiibo anyway, but I can dream).

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It is quite coincidental how they finally add some form of new content to Smash right after Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course DLC ends, and how Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course DLC came shortly after the last time they added new spirits before this revival (Street Fighter 35th Anniversary DLC). It's almost as if they don't want the two games to actively adding content at the same time and keep trading off.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
It is quite coincidental how they finally add some form of new content to Smash right after Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course DLC ends, and how Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course DLC came shortly after the last time they added new spirits before this revival (Street Fighter 35th Anniversary DLC). It's almost as if they don't want the two games to actively adding content at the same time and keep trading off.
I honestly never thought about that.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Good way to keep the hype for Nintendo alive all year long! The ride really doesn't end...

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Telling fact; the last general Nintendo Direct without either Smash news or Booster Course pass information?

A Nintendo Direct mini in January 2018. That's how long Nintendo's been riding this DLC cycle train.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Can't wait for the Super Mario Party/Mario Party Superstars Mega Party Thingamabob Pass to be revealed at TGA tonight.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Say, when do you guys think the next Nintendo Direct will happen? January? February or maybe March, even?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Only tangentially related to Smash (for now) but that big Sega announcement has me really excited. The younger set is going nuts for Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio, but it's the confirmation of new entries with Shinobi, Golden Axe, & Streets of Rage that has me excited. Ninja Gaiden's already demonstrated what modern revivals can do and with the beat em up renaissance we're in, Golden Axe is long overdue for a comeback.

Any of those series getting spirits, mii costumes or (one can hope) fighters in Smash would be a dream.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Only tangentially related to Smash (for now) but that big Sega announcement has me really excited. The younger set is going nuts for Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio, but it's the confirmation of new entries with Shinobi, Golden Axe, & Streets of Rage that has me excited. Ninja Gaiden's already demonstrated what modern revivals can do and with the beat em up renaissance we're in, Golden Axe is long overdue for a comeback.

Any of those series getting spirits, mii costumes or (one can hope) fighters in Smash would be a dream.
Younger set? Crazy taxi's fan are in their late 20's//early 30's

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Man, sorry to be a downer here but I'm really not excited for the SEGA announcemwnts. Shinobi is the only one that really looks good IMO - Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi feel weirdly sterilized (and it doesn't help that based on what we know, they'll like 90% have GAAS bull****), Streets of Rage looks like a ginormous downgrade from 4, and Golden Axe looks just plain bad. The vibe I get from these announcements is that they're prioritizing quantity over quality to appease as many of their old fanbases as possible and to me it just feels kind of weird and hollow. If this is the new direction they're pushing for the company from here on out then I'm not on board.

I also just......really wanted the announcement to be Virtua Fighter 6

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The new crazy taxi is going to be bad entirely because it most likely wont have the cool punk rock music that gave the original games their identity

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Man, sorry to be a downer here but I'm really not excited for the SEGA announcemwnts. Shinobi is the only one that really looks good IMO - Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi feel weirdly sterilized (and it doesn't help that based on what we know, they'll like 90% have GAAS bull****), Streets of Rage looks like a ginormous downgrade from 4, and Golden Axe looks just plain bad. The vibe I get from these announcements is that they're prioritizing quantity over quality to appease as many of their old fanbases as possible and to me it just feels kind of weird and hollow. If this is the new direction they're pushing for the company from here on out then I'm not on board.

I also just......really wanted the announcement to be Virtua Fighter 6
I also wanted a Virtua Fighter 6. But who knows? Maybe these revivals are showing that SEGA are really getting serious about their classic series and maybe VF will eventually be next down the line?

But I didn't see anything wrong with the trailer. I'm definitely checking out the Streets of Rage game, though I hope it'll also have Axel's look from the previous games before 4.

Personally, I was hoping for a SEGA crossover fighter. I see all these crossovers they keep doing lately, yet how come they haven't done a fighting game yet? I just don't get that.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
You'll just have to deal with it only having Sega AM2 characters instead of all of Sega.
I'm talking about lately with all these crossovers they're doing now. I already know about Fighters Megamix. I even mentioned that in this thread a couple of times before.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I honestly do think it's coincidental. I think the MK DLC happened the way it did because schedule-wise they knew they were still a few years away from the next Switch (which will likely have MK next quite early on), so they had the time to do this without overlap with the next thing, and Tour was giving them a bunch of resources they could repurpose.

Meanwhile Smash content is happening because the team has been reformed. This probably happened after finalizing those Nintendo teams at Namco, including specifically Studio S, which I'm pretty sure is the Smash one. The anniversary is a convenient, slightly less conspicuous reason to begin spirit events again, so tying it to that makes sense.

I don't think they have a problem overlapping Mario Kart and Smash content. Vanilla 8 and Smash 4's DLC overlapped quite tightly, and I bet you'll see the next Mario Kart and Smash have their DLC run concurrently - because this time I can't imagine MK doesn't start getting DLC right after launch, and continue for a while.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
No Skies of Arcadia, no buys of Arcadia.

If they repackage Ultimate and sell Fighter Pass 3&4, what would be their motive/incentive?
Incentive for what?

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Re: the Sega stuff

To keep it brief since others have already given most of my thoughts, I want to support risky ventures to cater to the diehard fans like this, and tentatively will pick up all five. However, it's Sega, so I still need to see how these games end up looking and playing closer to launch... they could all be stinkers. Or lean way too hard into GaaS. And then I'm out.

What I will say is that conceptually, this is awesome. I mean, I am part of the demographic this is for. Not even the biggest Sega fan (and most of my favorite old Sega IP aren't here), but just someone that appreciates both how wild it is to get so many classic revivals at once and that this is as much for the old school fans as trying to get these IP to catch on with newer gamers. Which, tbh... is a daunting task.

I wonder if they're doing some, like, A24 approach where they make all these games in hopes one will get big enough to offset the cost of the others, and then they can focus on that IP going forward.

And Smash-wise, this increases the chances these series get some sort of supporting content, but past that, we need to see how they actually fare.

It really just made me fantasize about Nintendo doing this, though. They wouldn't... but ****, imagine if they did.
BAM Kid Icarus
BAM Takamaru game
BAM Golden Sun
BAM Custom Robo
BAM F-Zero
and we have more coming later ok bye

I'd probably legitimately fall out of my chair and hurt myself because I popped off too quickly.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So what did everyone think of Game Awards? For GOTY, I was personally rooting for Tears of the Kingdom, but happy for Baldur's Gate and their fans, might look into checking out that series. Also happy for several of my favorites, including Pikmin 4 winning Best Sim/Strategy game, Super Mario Bros Wonder winning Best Family Game, and Tears of the Kingdom winning Best Action/Adventure game. I liked the Super Mario Bros Movie and was hoping for Best Adaption, but I also liked The Last of Us adaption a lot and was happy for it winning regardless. Wish there were at least some Nintendo announcements though, I guess we'll have to wait for the next Direct.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
At first, I got my hopes too high after being surprised by the Sega titles and Visions of Mana and it took until Monster Hunter Wilds to really get back my attention. Not that there weren't any other interesting titles like Metaphor Re Fantasia by the Persona team, No Rest for the Wicked by the Ori team, Light No Fire by Hello Games and the Jurassic Park Survival horror game. But I think I got my hopes a bit too high after the Sega and Mana announcements.

Yeah, I'm also cautious with the Sega games, especially regarding the rumors with JSR and Crazy Taxi, but Shinobi was the one I popped at and re-looking at it, it has some very fantastic visuals and looks decent gameplay-wise too. Easily the one I'm looking forward to most.
Golden Axe I'm not going to harp on too much since it really didn't show off any gameplay aside from movement and one attack. By what was shown, it's a 3D Hack'n Slash and visually, it looks okay. But aside from the fireball attack and the characters moving around, it hardly showed any gameplay aside from it so I'll hold my judgement until we get an actual showcase of the gameplay.
Yeah, Streets of Rage looks fine visually and the gameplay looks just okay, but the shift from 2.5D Beat'em-up to 3D beat'em-up is eye raising. I'm not against developers trying something new with games and series, but it's definitely risky with a series like Streets of Rage that came back after a long period and managed to find a footing that was rewarded with SoR4, but is already deviating with this new game.
And visually, JSR and Crazy Taxi look fine and the gameplay looks good for now. But yeah, with rumors about them possibly having a GAAS deal, I'm being very cautious with them.

Basically, my thoughts so far are Shinobi > Jet Set Radio > Crazy Taxi > Streets of Rage > Golden Axe. Shinobi is easily the game I'm looking forward to while the others I want to see more of first before deciding. Basically, for fans of the series announced, all I can hope is that Sega is in a listening mood and will try to listen for feedback regarding the games they announced and give demos for them for players to send feedback. Cause with some of these games coming back from a long hiatus, I hope for the sake of the fans of these series that Sega will listen to feedback and try to make sure these games are good on release.

All that said, I'm very curious what else Sega has in store when at the end they said, "And More." What other possible old series are you hiding from us, Sega?

Last edited:
Top Bottom