• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Stratos

Smash Ace
The truth is that I want the choice of characters to be made by Masahiro Sakurai himself or whoever decides to continue the Super Smash Bros. series without accepting suggestions from us.

Laniv

Smash Champion
So here's a question:

What was the funniest thing to happen over any Smash game's speculation cycle?

and why was it the Sans Mii Costume

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
After Galeem and Dharkon who could be the big threat in the Adventure Mode of the next Super Smash Bros.? Of course, no one can know that, but that doesn't stop us from imagining the next villain.
Either pick a real video game character, or reuse previous Smash bosses.

But for the love of God, stop making up new Smash OCs.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I always find myself wondering what method people use to judge who deserves to be in smash
I did a think piece on this exact topic a few years ago.

TLDR: people ultimately dont care if a character deserves it or not. Ultimately it's a blanket phrase is used by people who want to justify their most wanted's inclusion. You will not find people who think a character 100% deserves to be in Smash, but would absolutely hate the inclusion.

I've abandoned the "deserving" mentality in favor of "oh they'd be cool to have in the game"
Honestly a much better way to look at things.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I've abandoned the "deserving" mentality in favor of "oh they'd be cool to have in the game"
Either that or I say "they'd be fitting for Smash" or " they make sense for Smash".
It's all the same thing. You've just convinced yourself that one synonym is unacceptable and others are.

The most important thing about "deserving"...is it's easy to type. Like "4th Party", it's a quick and easy shorthand for those other things.

You will not find people who think a character 100% deserves to be in Smash, but would absolutely hate the inclusion.
Steve.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
It's all the same thing. You've just convinced yourself that one synonym is unacceptable and others are.
I never said I hated the “deserving” mentality and thought it was pointless. I totally get that some characters are undeniably more important to gaming and are probably more deserving from that viewpoint, but I like to keep an open mind regarding this sort of thing.

If you define “deserving” that way, more power to you. I just don’t think of it the same way.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I never said I hated the “deserving” mentality and thought it was pointless. I totally get that some characters are undeniably more important to gaming and are probably more deserving from that viewpoint, but I like to keep an open mind regarding this sort of thing.

If you define “deserving” that way, more power to you. I just don’t think of it the same way.
Heck! There are characters described as deserving that do not even get into a Smash game? When that happens, we’re said characters really that deserving?

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
The only time I'd probably use the word "deserving" is when a character or series is already in Smash but don't have a playable representation when I think they should.

There are characters like Doom Slayer, Kunio, Riki, Bomberman, and even as far back as Little Mac in Brawl and when looking at the kind series they come from, it just feels like anything else but a playable appearance doesn't do them any justice. They're just way too significant and they seem like they can bring so much to Smash, only to have what are basically just cameo appearances, as if they're not as important as the characters that are playable. So in that way, I feel like they do deserve more than that.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I always find myself wondering what method people use to judge who deserves to be in smash
For me, I try to avoid using the word “deserving” to describe a potential character as I feel like “deserving” tends to be used as a way to “justify” a character that someone wants. Although I don’t like using the word “deserving,” I think that there are factors that make characters a higher priority than others for developers/speculators, including legacy, relevancy, requests, and unique playstyles.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
For me, I try to avoid using the word “deserving” to describe a potential character as I feel like “deserving” tends to be used as a way to “justify” a character that someone wants. Although I don’t like using the word “deserving,” I think that there are factors that make characters a higher priority than others for developers/speculators, including legacy, relevancy, requests, and unique playstyles.
Makes sense. That said, some people are just caught up with getting the character they want in Smash that they will use "deserving" as a way to make it seem like the character in question really should get in, when they may be too desperate to get that character in, if you know what I mean.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Heads up: Online services for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U are ending in April 2024.

More info here

So, if you wanna whoop someone on For Glory or claim turf in Splatoon, better do it now.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

More info here

So, if you wanna whoop someone on For Glory or claim turf in Splatoon, better do it now.
well it was bound to happen sooner or later

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
For Glory still works? Wooow I remember getting SO MAD when the Brawl servers went offline I actually called Nintendo and complained and the dude at first was sympathetic but eventually was like look, it's going away it's not coming back there's nothing I can do, goodbye and hung up on me lol so then I wrote a strongly worded letter, god I was mad.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace

Nothing in life lasts forever including and especially online servers on a discontinued console so this was inevitable but as someone still use my Wii U to this day tho, this is a huge blow. Especially when these are last Nintendo consoles with free online.

People will say their successors on Switch provide online play, but Smash 3DS/Wii U, Pokemon Gen 6-7, Mario Kart 7 and Splatoon 1are, in game mechanic terms, too different to some. E.g, no Mega Evolutions beyond Gen 8 and For Glory gone.

For those saying online going down isn't a big deal are probably thinking more about Wii U instead of 3DS. Tons of original games with no alternatives or re-releases, revivals etc

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
For those saying online going down isn't a big deal are probably thinking more about Wii U instead of 3DS. Tons of original games with no alternatives or re-releases, revivals etc
Eh, i wouldnt worry. The entire library for this stuff has been backed up vie methods that i hear are surprisingly easy to do.

People will probably make servers to run these games online again, every popular game with dead online ends up having a fan server made for it eventually.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
You’re a mean one…
The incineroar gif is just icing of the cake. Exactly 5 years since then. Great and painful time to be a Smash fan,

So here's a question:

What was the funniest thing to happen over any Smash game's speculation cycle?

and why was it the Sans Mii Costume
Kazooie....this isn't Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

If you know....you know.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I hope whatever they do they get rid of "Elite Smash" and go back to For Glory so that you can just play itemless matches without dealing with a leaderboard/completionism ... they just don't mix well IMHO .
Or they could just give you the option between playing ranked or unranked.

Ya know, like most online games.

I was someone who wanted a ranked mode and I still find it baffling how Ultimate forces everyone to play ranked when Smash was a series made with accessability in mind. In fact almost everything about how Ult's online was handled was baffling.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I still think a Deluxe edition with 10 or so more characters and a few tweaks to Ultimate is the most probable "next Smash" thing ever happening. At launch with the new system is like a no-brainer. Smash 7 is probably coming out a lot later, like 2026/27 imho.
IF we got an Ult Deluxe, then we wouldn't be getting the next real new game in 26/27. I highly doubt we'd get an Ult Deluxe and a new game on the same console at all, as the whole point of doing an Ult Deluxe to begin with is to not have to make a new game for the new console.

Which also means 10 new characters probably wouldn't be happening with an Ult Deluxe either, certainly not at launch with the next console as there's very simply not been enough time for that much to be coming as soon as 2024.

Even as DLC idk how much longer 5 (US) bucks per character is realistically sustainable. Like, base Ult was less than a dollar per character, not even factoring in all the other content in the base game. On Wii U (forget the 3DS for a sec), it was a little more than a dollar per character, but far under two dollars per character. Even if you combine the 60+40 USD MSRPs for the Wii U and 3DS versions, it still comes out to roughly 2 dollars per character, and that's again without factoring in all the content in the 3DS version that is not on Wii U.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
An Ultimate Deluxe has to deal with the problems of licensing hell. They would have to go back to all the third party companies that had content in Ultimate and renegotiate with them for the rights to use their characters. And they have to bring back all of it. That's one of the reasons why I think that it won't happen.

FazDude

Smash Master
EiH was both a blessing and a curse. It gave more spotlight to characters who were originally absent and even characters who were never thought to return, but it also affected the single player pretty negatively. Hence, if Ultimate Deluxe happened, I’d want to improve the single player offerings, among other things.
Pretty much my thoughts, but EIH also made speculation about certain other platform fighters a nightmare.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Everyone Is Here was a fun last hurrah for this era of Smash. I'm glad it happened but I do not expect it to be replicated. I definitely have a lot criticisms of Ultimate such as the poor online and WoL being kind of a drag (imo), but I don't think not having EiH would have necessarily improved those. Had we not gotten EiH, I would only have expected a larger pool of actual newcomers. As for the speculation scene, I see a lot of people bring up the negative impact that EiH apparently had. Again, I honestly don't see the difference. Half of Smash speculation has always been unreasonable nonsense, and cuts have always been a touchy subject in this community.

FazDude

Smash Master
EIH was great for Ult, but I'd much rather see Smash evolve past it than seeing it be EIH forever. Having a game with everyone from the past games almost feels like a sendoff to this era of the series, and it's a great point to step back and see where Smash can go from here in terms of not only the roster, but the game as a whole (including single player, which did suffer as a result of EIH).

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
Most likely as we all believe, is that they will remove some characters and put others in their place. They are also more likely to add 1st party characters.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I don’t think they’re gonna cut 30-40 characters just for the fun of it. A lot of the visceral reaction to the idea of cuts seems to come from people who think they’re gonna Thanos snap the roster.

Most fighters are sticking around, the vast majority I’d imagine. But a couple of them probably won’t make the jump.

Top Bottom