• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Ivander

Smash Legend
Don't know how much anybody cares, but I thought this was neat:

These guys have all been pretty big on Switch, so it makes sense Nintendo would wanna do some investing. Not sure about any fullblown buyouts (MAYBE if the ActiBlizz deal goes through and MAYBE if the rumors of Sony "retaliating" turn out to be true), but hey, partnerships are good to have in this day and age. Especially in the games industry.
I don't see Nintendo working on or doing any buyouts on them, but at the least I could see Nintendo taking any buyout scenario with them very seriously, especially Namco. Compared to ActiBlizz where Nintendo clearly doesn't care about them being bought much, if Square, Koei or Namco were in danger of being bought, I could see Nintendo taking any case with Square and Koei seriously while they would straight out face off against any potential buyers for Namco.

Namco has been both a major developer and a helping developer for Nintendo's games, for Mario and Mario Kart, Pokemon, Star Fox, ARMS(they helped with some of the visual assets for fighters, stages and arms) and as we all know, Smash Bros. We also know they worked on Metroid Prime 4 for a bit before Nintendo decided to re-do the project with Retro at the helm. While Namco may not put alot of their own games on Nintendo's systems, they have been a huge developer partner for Nintendo for some of their biggest games. Nintendo losing Namco to help develop games for them would be a big deal and I can absolutely see Nintendo standing their ground to any company that tries to get Namco.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
So as of right now this is my top ten most wanted characters, my opinions are very fluctuating though so this is just for fun.
Only rules are no 4th Party, if I’m thinking of a duo type of character I just pick the one I want more, and im trying to be somewhat reasonable with these.
10. Dr. Eggman (Sonic The Hedgehog)
9. Birdetta/Birdo (Super Mario)
8. Setro/Warrior Of Light (Final Fantasy)
7. Mallow (Super Mario RPG)
6. Paper Mario (Paper Mario)
5. Red (Angry Birds)
4. Rayman (Rayman)
3. Tails The Fox (Sonic The Hedgehog)
2. Shadow The Hedgehog (Sonic The Hedgehog)
1. Demifiend (Shin Megami Tensei)
Any thoughts?
1688531569614.png

I still have this graphic I made in 2021 for my most wanted characters, I'd probably reearange some of the later slots if I made this today but it's still consistent with what I want to see

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Speaking on a zelda movie artstyle some things they should do (and some of them in zelda as a whole)

Somewhat more consistent enemy designs just with difrent artsytyles for example Octoroks always follow a similar cute mold bats being floating eyes and slimes being also cute with goofy eyes

Starting with A young green capped link and after 3 movies (during which link grows up) you do BOTW/TOTK style Movies than 2 Toon Movies and than i dunno some miscelaneos stuff

DONT do Twilight Princess Desaturated look like EVER Again you can do realism up to the point of BOTW/ TOTK but that should be the border (again keep in mind twilight princess was made for edgy kids who wind waker was for babies) Still twilight princess is good just a lot of the things in it dont feel like zelda!

just dont (btw totk is this design in good)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Personally, I wouldn't exactly NEED an 'N.C.U.' or anything, but maybe a Smash Bros. movie where a calamity ravages the various Nintendo worlds or simply that Master Hand holds a tournament between the heroes (and villains) of various Nintendo worlds. I know it sounds basic, but it's the best I can think of that doesn't heavily contradict each movie's continuity.

These guys have all been pretty big on Switch, so it makes sense Nintendo would wanna do some investing. Not sure about any fullblown buyouts (MAYBE if the ActiBlizz deal goes through and MAYBE if the rumors of Sony "retaliating" turn out to be true), but hey, partnerships are good to have in this day and age. Especially in the games industry.
I don't see Nintendo working on or doing any buyouts on them, but at the least I could see Nintendo taking any buyout scenario with them very seriously, especially Namco. Compared to ActiBlizz where Nintendo clearly doesn't care about them being bought much, if Square, Koei or Namco were in danger of being bought, I could see Nintendo taking any case with Square and Koei seriously while they would straight out face off against any potential buyers for Namco.

Namco has been both a major developer and a helping developer for Nintendo's games, for Mario and Mario Kart, Pokemon, Star Fox, ARMS(they helped with some of the visual assets for fighters, stages and arms) and as we all know, Smash Bros. We also know they worked on Metroid Prime 4 for a bit before Nintendo decided to re-do the project with Retro at the helm. While Namco may not put alot of their own games on Nintendo's systems, they have been a huge developer partner for Nintendo for some of their biggest games. Nintendo losing Namco to help develop games for them would be a big deal and I can absolutely see Nintendo standing their ground to any company that tries to get Namco.
Man, it is absolutely SENDING me to imagine Namco's IPs (Pac-Man, Tekken, Tales, Dig-Dug, Namco's 'X' games, etc.) possibly being under Nintendo's umbrella (at least, even MORE than they already are).

You all are right though, in that Nintendo would probably fight tooth-and-nail to at least keep Namco to themselves. Knowing their relationship, it'll probably be an 'over my/our dead body' situation to anyone else trying to get Namco.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Personally, I wouldn't exactly NEED an 'N.C.U.' or anything, but maybe a Smash Bros. movie where a calamity ravages the various Nintendo worlds or simply that Master Hand holds a tournament between the heroes (and villains) of various Nintendo worlds. I know it sounds basic, but it's the best I can think of that doesn't heavily contradict each movie's continuity.

Man, it is absolutely SENDING me to imagine Namco's IPs (Pac-Man, Tekken, Tales, Dig-Dug, Namco's 'X' games, etc.) possibly being under Nintendo's umbrella (at least, even MORE than they already are).

You all are right though, in that Nintendo would probably fight tooth-and-nail to at least keep Namco to themselves. Knowing their relationship, it'll probably be an 'over my/our dead body' situation to anyone else trying to get Namco.
Admittedly, that's kinda what I meant by the part about whether or not the Sony rumors turn out to be true. I don't believe them myself (Sony doesn't have that kind of money, especially since some of these guys are more than just game companies), but if they do end up being true, well... I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo had a few words to say about it.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So anyone got ideas for bosses?
Mother Brain [Metroid]
Andross(N64 version) [Star Fox]
Arceus [Pokemon]
Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear REX [Metal Gear]
Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Dr. Wily piloting Wily Machine [Mega Man]
Safer∙Sephiroth [Final Fantasy]

Laniv

Smash Champion
Guzzlord
Rayquaza
Porky (perhaps unleashing Giygas as a second phase?)
Star Dream?
And while we're at it, might as well graduate some of those stage bosses to actual boss bosses with expanded movesets and on different stages

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
You know, funny story.

Despite not being an RPG fan, I used to think about getting an RPG Maker to create a Smash Bros and Kingdom Hearts RPG. This happened shortly after I got Brawl. After seeing how Subspace had a little Kingdom Hearts vibe to it, which is probably because they were both written by the same person, I thought those two would blend well together and an RPG would be perfect for that. And if there's any company I think could pull it off, it would be Square-Enix. So if I had an RPG Maker, it would be done in their style.

I had many ideas for how that crossover would work after finishing Subspace but I never got an RPG Maker and even if I did, I probably would have never finished it. lol

And now we see Nintendo and Kadokawa apparently working so closely with each other. Never would have thought.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Kadokawa owns some parts of Spike Chunsoft and a small stake on FromSoftware.
They also own Famitsu magazine and the light novel imprint Dengeki Bunko. And the film studio Daiei. Michael the Spikester Michael the Spikester would love to see Gamera in Smash with this small fact.

Last edited:

Luke Starkiller

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I can imagine in the hypothetical Eggman trailer, a scenario like this would occur where Sonic is charging ready to fight Eggman head-on. Eggman's boss form could be one of his famous mech's like the Egg Dragoon from Unleashed, Generations, and Forces. As for his playable fighter model, he could use his hovercraft that has appeared in all the games to fight in similar to what Bowser Jr uses.

There could also be a shot in the trailer where Eggman attempts to attack Mario, but Bowser appears and they end up fighting instead.
A good callback to the Brawl trailer where Mario fought Sonic way back in 2008.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
as king of the zelda fans i banish you from the clubhouse
Slimes in zelda have eyes in twilightprinces they dont
Octoroks are in zelda in twilight princess they dont exist
How about thge twilight realm it just has a ugly brown filter

Link, Zelda without the cloack, Ganondorf and midna have good designs tho!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You know, funny story.

Despite not being an RPG fan, I used to think about getting an RPG Maker to create a Smash Bros and Kingdom Hearts RPG. This happened shortly after I got Brawl. After seeing how Subspace had a little Kingdom Hearts vibe to it, which is probably because they were both written by the same person, I thought those two would blend well together and an RPG would be perfect for that. And if there's any company I think could pull it off, it would be Square-Enix. So if I had an RPG Maker, it would be done in their style.

I had many ideas for how that crossover would work after finishing Subspace but I never got an RPG Maker and even if I did, I probably would have never finished it. lol

And now we see Nintendo and Kadokawa apparently working so closely with each other. Never would have thought.
That’s cool. My brother and I bought RPG Maker a few years ago to try to create an original RPG. So far my brother has the first part of the overworld map done but we haven’t done a ton in game beyond that. We’re still making character portraits and trying to flesh out the story.

Last week, we bought a new graphics card to mess with Stable Diffusion to see if we could get our characters professional looking and we’re really impressed. It’s still a suprising amount of work to get something that looks great even with AI since we’re doing image to image and have a particular character design we’re trying to replicate. We spent literally all day on yesterday working on a single character portrait. I know there’s basically no chance without modding but it would be awesome to see our own characters in Smash one day.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I recently made a redo of Smash 64's roster using a roster maker. I used characters who were cut due to time constraints (Bowser, Dedede, Mewtwo and Marth) and replaced Jigglypuff with Meowth.
64 roster redo.png

To those of you wondering why the CSS is ordered the way it is, it's because the 8 characters on the top are the starting roster, and the 8 on the bottom are their hypothetical "rivals" in 1P Game; you unlock the characters on the bottom by clearing 1P game as their respective rivals on the top without using a continue (for example, Mario unlock Luigi, Pikachu unlocks Meowth, etc.)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Slimes in zelda have eyes in twilightprinces they dont
Octoroks are in zelda in twilight princess they dont exist
How about thge twilight realm it just has a ugly brown filter

Link, Zelda without the cloack, Ganondorf and midna have good designs tho!
banished

Stratos

Smash Ace
Regarding remakes of the two versions of Pokémon Black and White, I can think that one will be called "Pokémon Black Lightning" and the other "Pokémon White Fire". Of course this is just a theory, I am not saying or writing that it is certain.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Regarding remakes of the two versions of Pokémon Black and White, I can think that one will be called "Pokémon Black Lightning" and the other "Pokémon White Fire". Of course this is just a theory, I am not saying or writing that it is certain.
could be Yang Black & Yin White

or the other way around

jamesster445

Smash Lord
If they wanted to they could easily make boss fights out of Safer Sephiroth and Devil Kazuya (assuming they return).
'Samael' from Persona 5 being this multi phased boss could be fun.
Metal Face as a proper boss could be neat.
Grima or the Black Knight for Fire Emblem
Rugal Bernstein, SNK bosses are something else and Rugal be causing generational trauma.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I recently made a redo of Smash 64's roster using a roster maker. I used characters who were cut due to time constraints (Bowser, Dedede, Mewtwo and Marth) and replaced Jigglypuff with Meowth.
View attachment 374348
To those of you wondering why the CSS is ordered the way it is, it's because the 8 characters on the top are the starting roster, and the 8 on the bottom are their hypothetical "rivals" in 1P Game; you unlock the characters on the bottom by clearing 1P game as their respective rivals on the top without using a continue (for example, Mario unlock Luigi, Pikachu unlocks Meowth, etc.)
Meowth is cool but I really just can't imagine Smash without the Puff at this point. They got so lucky! Lol

:jigglypuff64::jigglypuffmelee::jigglypuff::4jigglypuff::ultjigglypuff:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I understand that. I would hate to bring this character up again, but this makes me wonder if they would want Geno as DLC in the next Smash Bros. game only, if he even gets in that is. I wonder how easy it would be to get Geno in the base of next game compared to other characters from Square Enix, if at all? I am starting to think Square Enix characters have better luck in Smash as DLC in any Smash game rather than base game.
If it's a Square character I think they're going to be insistent on them being DLC. They're open to compromise, clearly, but under normal circumstances, I don't think Nintendo is going to be so determined to get a character in base over DLC as when it came to Cloud potentially being the lone holdout to EiH.

In one sense being DLC helps Geno, in that he's sort of separated from the other Mario options. But in a bigger sense it doesn't, because now he's up against not just the Square characters, and not just against most of the third-parties (including others who may get in as 'fan favorites' like Crash, Chief, Dante, etc), but against the fact that he's going to have sell piecemeal. As a character with pretty limited recognition, that's another hurdle for him.

Or, possibly, considering the back-end profits on Geno probably wouldn't be ideal for a third-party, they may compromise in letting him be base if they can make one of their more profitable vets DLC instead.

Fwiw Nintendo has owned a small stake in Bamco and KT for a long time, like a few gens. Not sure about Square.

To be clear, the portion of all of these 'ownerships' is negligible, including Konami and Kadokawa. Like, Nintendo owns 1.75% of Bamco.

I still only see Nintendo acquiring a publisher on this scale as an emergency maneuver, either because things are dire (won't happen anytime soon - and tbh not something I'm sure an acquisition like that would fix) or because competitors have consolidated to such an extent Nintendo actually feels threatened.

Funny thinking about how acquiring a company like Namco (realism aside) would make things like Dark Souls and Elden Ring actual Nintendo IP though.

The catch-22 with Nintendo having all the success it has right now is that, while they're flush with capital that could potentially go into acquisitions, they're also at the least desperate they've been since the Wii and DS were both killing it, which probably makes them even less concerned with third-party stuff.

Not to say completely tuned out... but even with their partnerships, their fundamental isolationism seems ingrained. They'll cooperate, but when push comes to shove, it doesn't seem like they feel they really need them.

There's a part of me that thinks the only studios Nintendo would unquestionably jump in to keep would be HAL, IS, Game Freak, and Creatures (solely because of their Pokemon ownership). But let's be real, they're never leaving, I'm pretty sure three of them share a building with Nintendo.

Funny enough, Nintendo's ownership in Bamco comes mostly from Bandai. Around 20 years ago, Nintendo started buying up Bandai stock pretty quickly, and it was theorized that they were working towards an acquisition. About a year later, Bandai merged with Namco, which cut down Nintendo's ownership of the company to around 3%. Now it's at 1.75%.

But that was a long time ago, and Nintendo hasn't made any moves that they're interested in an acquisition. Not the least of which is because Namco has by far the highest market cap for a third-party in Japan, nearly double that of the next highest (Capcom), presumably in large part due to Bandai's toy division. And I'm not sure any company wants to take on those acquisition or operating costs.

Nor do I think Namco's output really aligns with Sony's priorities these days, which seem big budget, western-focused, narrative based games. I think the main thing Sony would be interested in is From, but Namco doesn't own them. Just a part of the Dark Souls and Elden Ring IPs. And since Sony already owns Demon Souls and Bloodborne, not sure part of the other two is worth the price of admission.

I can't see Namco getting bought out any time soon.

KT has a surprisingly high market cap against their IP library, which I think is because they do have ventures outside gaming, which makes an acquisition seem less likely. Moreover, their games turn a profit, but none of their IP really reach blockbuster levels. Maybe Nioh, if you're being generous.

But they have basically the same value as Square, surprisingly. And they're above Sega and Ubisoft. So I can't imagine for their price, they'd be that desirable.

Now Square seems the likeliest to get scooped up, and by Sony. Sony is more western-focused these days, but FF and KH cut through globally and have big PlayStation markets. I just have trouble seeing Nintendo caring about acquiring them more than Sony would care about acquiring them.

Kadokawa is mostly a conglomerate, they're not principally a game company. I don't want to rain on your parade, but Nintendo's shareholding is probably closer to their non-gaming investments like Toppan Printing or TV Tokyo, and is extremely marginal, as with most of these companies.

Sony owns more of Kadokawa than Nintendo does.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If it's a Square character I think they're going to be insistent on them being DLC. They're open to compromise, clearly, but under normal circumstances, I don't think Nintendo is going to be so determined to get a character in base over DLC as when it came to Cloud potentially being the lone holdout to EiH.

In one sense being DLC helps Geno, in that he's sort of separated from the other Mario options. But in a bigger sense it doesn't, because now he's up against not just the Square characters, and not just against most of the third-parties (including others who may get in as 'fan favorites' like Crash, Chief, Dante, etc), but against the fact that he's going to have sell piecemeal. As a character with pretty limited recognition, that's another hurdle for him.

Or, possibly, considering the back-end profits on Geno probably wouldn't be ideal for a third-party, they may compromise in letting him be base if they can make one of their more profitable vets DLC instead.
I see. You're saying that they are open to compromise for base game? I don't know about Nintendo, but I think Sakurai can push for base game if he wanted, if he has the power, of course.

Still, unlike some Geno fans, I think that unless the remake does well, or even with the remake itself, I do not think Geno will be more profitable than Banjo and Kazooie did in terms of DLC sales in Ultimate. The latter two were not that high up in terms of sales given that tweet with the sales data from some pages back, and even if Geno does do better than the duo fighter, well we might just have to see in the event that he does get in.

So, how do you think buying the base game if Geno is in it would do for the next Smash Bros. game's sales compared to DLC sales?

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Kadokawa is mostly a conglomerate, they're not principally a game company. I don't want to rain on your parade, but Nintendo's shareholding is probably closer to their non-gaming investments like Toppan Printing or TV Tokyo, and is extremely marginal, as with most of these companies.

Sony owns more of Kadokawa than Nintendo does.
It's not really raining on my parade. It just that learning about Nintendo's involvement with Kadokawa reminded me how I was thinking about getting an RPG Maker to make my own Nintendo RPG many years ago.

That’s cool. My brother and I bought RPG Maker a few years ago to try to create an original RPG. So far my brother has the first part of the overworld map done but we haven’t done a ton in game beyond that. We’re still making character portraits and trying to flesh out the story.

Last week, we bought a new graphics card to mess with Stable Diffusion to see if we could get our characters professional looking and we’re really impressed. It’s still a suprising amount of work to get something that looks great even with AI since we’re doing image to image and have a particular character design we’re trying to replicate. We spent literally all day on yesterday working on a single character portrait. I know there’s basically no chance without modding but it would be awesome to see our own characters in Smash one day.
Well, who knows? Your game could be the next Undertale.

Last edited:
Top Bottom