• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
only two?
I don't doubt the possiblity of there being more I'm just dumb and missed it.

Other choices like Dante, chief, crash and doom have all had pretty recent titles right? I guess Isaac is getting his game on switch online if that kinda counts?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
How do you all feel about Spike Chunsoft's chances for the next game?
Their history is surprisingly rich and goes back to decades. Don't believe me? Check out this wikipedia article that talks about the titles they developed/published. Did you know they developed the first Dragon Quest games while Enix was the publisher? I sure as hell didn't know before reading this. Some of you may also know them as the developers of the mystery dungeon games.

But those are all works they don't own, what about the IPs they do own? To be more specific, what about the IPs they do own that have a clear picture for a fighter to put in Smash? There's really only two candidates I can think of, and one of them is way more clear cut than the other. I'm talking more specifically about AI Somnium Files and Danganronpa, the former is the spiritual successor to the Zero Escape games while the latter needs no introduction. Between these two it really comes as a no brainer that Danganronpa would be picked considering just how monsterously popular it is for a VN.

I really only thought about this recently after playing Code Rain (which is the spiritual successor to the Danganronpa games) but I do think there's a decent chance that Danganronpa, combined with Spike Chunsoft's long and rich history as game developers, could make the cut for the next Smash game, especially since this company isn't a stranger to Nintendo considering some of their previous partnerships :p

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Their history is surprisingly rich and goes back to decades. Don't believe me? Check out this wikipedia article that talks about the titles they developed/published. Did you know they developed the first Dragon Quest games while Enix was the publisher? I sure as hell didn't know before reading this. Some of you may also know them as the developers of the mystery dungeon games.

But those are all works they don't own, what about the IPs they do own? To be more specific, what about the IPs they do own that have a clear picture for a fighter to put in Smash? There's really only two candidates I can think of, and one of them is way more clear cut than the other. I'm talking more specifically about AI Somnium Files and Danganronpa, the former is the spiritual successor to the Zero Escape games while the latter needs no introduction. Between these two it really comes as a no brainer that Danganronpa would be picked considering just how monsterously popular it is for a VN.

I really only thought about this recently after playing Code Rain (which is the spiritual successor to the Danganronpa games) but I do think there's a decent chance that Danganronpa, combined with Spike Chunsoft's long and rich history as game developers, could make the cut for the next Smash game, especially since this company isn't a stranger to Nintendo considering some of their previous partnerships :p
i would love literally any Spike Chunsoft content. even spirits, or a Monokuma/Rain Code Protag Mii

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Chunsoft played a very significant part in the history of adventure games/VNs, even before DR. Their "sound novels" like Kamaitachi no Yoru and Machi were very popular and influential, but I also don't think they lend themselves particularly well to Smash content, given the former uses a silhouetted aesthetic and the latter uses real people. Danganronpa is probably the way to go if we were to get a rep from them, it has the combination of big lasting popularity and also Actual Viable Character Choices

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I honestly still associated Spike Chunsoft with the Fire Pro Wrestling series which is still flattering to the former given just how good that franchise is.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The next Super Smash Bros. game will logically have a stage based on Super Mario Bros. Wonder. However, from items from the Mario franchise, I would like them to include an Ice Flower, of course I would also like to include the new Wonder Flower
Super...

...Crown.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Just realized that if I had a nickel every time a highly requested smash character had their irrelevancy argument die this year I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice.
View attachment 374422

(Sorry that joke has been on my mind since the remake announcement I'll see myself out)
The problem with "relevancy" being the conditioner instead of "recency" is that Geno is still pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, and if he still doesn't get in, that will be why. And characters like K. Rool were always relevant. He's the antagonist of DK. He just wasn't recent.

Also recency is generally seen as more of an impediment for first-parties than third-parties.

I mean for Ultimate, 2/3 third-parties that were included due to demand weren't doing well in terms of current activity. They also weren't dormant but it's not like characters like Mega Man or Terry were at the top of their game when included. So it doesn't preclude popularity nor inclusion.

I don't doubt the possiblity of there being more I'm just dumb and missed it.

Other choices like Dante, chief, crash and doom have all had pretty recent titles right? I guess Isaac is getting his game on switch online if that kinda counts?
If you're talking about the NSO release... not really.

It'd probably be Danganronpa or nothing, they don't really have too many fighter-level IP, visibility-wise. Especially outside Japan.

But Monokuma would be cool. And Danganronpa music would be nice.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I'm still convinced Bowsette will become canon SOMEDAY. I mean, it basically took over the Internet for a bit! Even Capcom eventually made Sheng Long canon.

(I spoilered that because SF6 is still new, and I thought it was cool that they did that...)
The Wahoominati sends anyone who suggests adding Bowsette to any Mario game down to product QA as an official cartridge licker next to the guy who suggested they get rid of friend codes, the Wii U's entire marketing team, and several kidnapped Kotaku employees.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
Well, Geno is recent, but even if he is not relevant (yes, I know for a fact that his recent appearance is a remake based on an old game), while Geno may not have been the lead character, technically, the game he hails from is still a classic masterpiece, one of the greats, and despite that game's being only in two countries in terms of release and being released at the end of the SNES' lifetime, it was still pretty loved, and the remake can help spread that love. More people will get into it, and it will be in the middle of the lifetime of a successful system, the Switch, with the help of the internet and all. Even if the game itself was irrelevant, it was, and still is still pretty loved, and technically to me, that backs Geno in some way. Maybe not completely, but think about it, if the only game Geno was in, Super Mario RPG, was not popular, good, successful enough, etc, Geno would have less of a chance of getting in Smash.

And Sakurai would have less of a reason to want him playable if Super Mario RPG was not a good game in any way, especially in game quality.

Come to think of it, in terms of Super Mario RPG helping out Geno, I think that even with possible irrelevancy, the game's success and more so, the game's quality and everything behind it could have an effect on Geno's chances altogether, if to an extent. It won't be just Geno the character that helps him out, but to me, the game, and the remake, if it is good, has a good chance of helping him out, making his chances better for him in some way.

You can't just have a good character by themselves to be a candidate in Smash, but everything around them from the rest of the game, too. Even if Geno was not the most important character (and he did play an important enough role in the story), the game he was in is big enough to give him some star power, and add to him more than just his character and role alone.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Well, Geno is recent, but even if he is not relevant (yes, I know for a fact that his recent appearance is a remake based on an old game), while Geno may not have been the lead character, technically, the game he hails from is still a classic masterpiece, one of the greats, and despite that game's being only in two countries in terms of release and being released at the end of the SNES' lifetime, it was still pretty loved, and the remake can help spread that love. More people will get into it, and it will be in the middle of the lifetime of a successful system, the Switch, with the help of the internet and all. Even if the game itself was irrelevant, it was, and still is still pretty loved, and technically to me, that backs Geno in some way. Maybe not completely, but think about it, if the only game Geno was in, Super Mario RPG, was not popular, good, successful enough, etc, Geno would have less of a chance of getting in Smash.

And Sakurai would have less of a reason to want him playable if Super Mario RPG was not a good game in any way, especially in game quality.

Come to think of it, in terms of Super Mario RPG helping out Geno, I think that even with possible irrelevancy, the game's success and more so, the game's quality and everything behind it could have an effect on Geno's chances altogether, if to an extent. It won't be just Geno the character that helps him out, but to me, the game, and the remake, if it is good, has a good chance of helping him out, making his chances better for him in some way.

You can't just have a good character by themselves to be a candidate in Smash, but everything around them from the rest of the game, too. Even if Geno was not the most important character (and he did play an important enough role in the story), the game he was in is big enough to give him some star power, and add to him more than just his character and role alone.
Ah yes, SMRPG.

The good Mario game.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
On top of what I just said, Geno, or at least the game he was from, has, or adds to more to Nintendo history than one may realize.

In terms of Super Mario RPG, while that game never had a sequel, it did inspire and lead to more Mario RPG games being made, the ones that also used timed hits, from Mario and Luigi to at least the first two or three Paper Mario games. With that said, while I am not sure whether or not Super Mario RPG invented timed hits, it did help make it big, especially for when those later Mario RPGs came along and used that feature. Heck! The team that made the Mario and Luigi games, the now defunct AlphaDream, was made of ex-Square Enix employees, if I recall correctly, and for the original Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga, where Geno made a cameo, it was said Geno's creator was working for AlphaDream at the time. But most of all, as I may have said, Super Mario RPG has jump started a lot of things for other Mario RPGs, and Geno is part of the original one called Super Mario RPG.

Now, we could put Paper Mario in instead of Geno, or we can have both, but personally, Geno is part of a game that started a lot of things, especially for Mario RPGs, so while it would not hurt to include Paper Mario, why not first put in a character from a Mario RPG that started the rest?

That said, I think Geno, while he still has things against him, could break a lot of barriers that may prevent him or others from getting in, from being from a spinoff game to being from one game from long ago that is third party and all, and that could open the door for other characters in similar situations like Geno to get in. I think Geno would be a "hero" for those other characters in that regard. Granted, Geno has competition from both the Mario side and the Square Enix side, but I do think his history with Nintendo and Mario as well as what he inspired in later Mario RPG games would give him advantage over characters on both sides, since this is a mostly Nintendo game with some third parties joining in. Heck! I'd argue Geno has more going for him than even Waluigi, even if the latter has different circumstances, but you should know what I mean.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Tbh, I am so hype to see what stages they make for the next game. So long as there is a Tetris stage. If we don’t get one, I will be slightly nettled.
Pretty sure a Puyo Puyo stage can work without a playable character nor an assist trophy. Tetris is a little nitpicky with licensing for crossovers.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The Puyo's would make a neat assist trophyor just an item in general.

Like put the four pieces together and they explode.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't expect Spike Chunsoft to get anything.

But Danganropa is the only thing I don't see as impossible.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
hmm interesting

osby

Smash Obsessed
If we're talking about visual novels, I'd sooner expect Type-Moon to get something given how successful Witch on the Holy Night remaster and Tsukihime remake has been doing - both with official translations now.

Not that this changes Fate's number-one status but it's nice to see them back in public consciousness.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If we're talking about visual novels, I'd sooner expect Type-Moon to get something given how successful Witch on the Holy Night remaster and Tsukihime remake has been doing - both with official translations now.

Not that this changes Fate's number-one status but it's nice to see them back in public consciousness.
But Ace Attorny tho.

Stratos

Smash Lord
The Professor Layton series has never been released in the Playstation and XBOX series and I believe that Professor Hershel Layton should be added as a newcomer in the next Super Smash Bros. game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The Professor Layton series has never been released in the Playstation and XBOX series and I believe that Professor Hershel Layton should be added as a newcomer in the next Super Smash Bros. game.
that’s an odd link

you’re not wrong though

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Wow that's actually pretty rare - a third-party exclusive to Nintendo systems (outside mobile). Like a reverse "no appearances" character.

I'm not sure there are even any other characters in this situation. Failed one-offs aside.

I guess, excluding PC/mobile, the Bravely series is Nintendo-exclusive.

Have both Phoenix and Layton join smash together and have them share a home stage based on their crossover game.
That's cool until you realize we could've gotten two stages and now we only have one.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Well, a Puyo Puyo Tetris doesn't sound bad.
Even if it has the price of Arle Nadja and Carbuncle being on the underworld of Assist Trophies.
As long as we wouldn't get fewer stages than new IPs w/ fighters, I'm cool with it.

Though tbh, I'd still rather get two different stages, because then you have two.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
And it becomes cool again when you realize those two properties would be lucky to even get one stage, much less 2.
We've been lucky to get a lot of third-party series added, but once that happens each getting their own stage isn't luck, it's how Smash works.

Terry was lucky to get in, doesn't mean he should have to go share Ryu's stage because they've both been to Suzaku Castle.

It would be cool to get Layton and Phoenix Wright, it would be cool if they were revealed together. But a stage based on the crossover? Presumably it would be the courtroom, because otherwise Phoenix Wright gets in, but there isn't a courtroom stage. But that courtroom both isn't the same as in the Ace Attorney games, and now Layton is represented by a courtroom? I don't think that serves either of them that well.

What I do think would be cool is if you bought both characters, it came with an alternate medieval skin of the normal courtroom stage based on the the one from the crossover. Like the Punch-Out stage or Mementos. That would be cool.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, I just want to say one more thing about Geno...or any other character that is a candidate for Smash.

I think some detractors like to twist some things for those characters and say that each character has something different from each other in terms of how they get in. To me, that matters not, and I do not think characters like Geno and Waluigi, neither who have gotten into Smash, are that different, and are more so on the same boat. Even if they are, it seems detractors will try to exaggerate those difference to say a character like either of those two will not get in, or that their circumstances are different from other characters. In other words, to me, they try to over complicate the situations and comparisons for characters. But true or not, here is one thing to consider...

The KISS rule. It basically stands for Keep It Simple (I am not going to mention the fourth word, for it is at risk of being offensive to people), and with that, that should apply to characters, their circumstances and their chances for getting in Smash. Their differences and exaggerations should not be over-complicated for even the sake of arguing against a character. Thing is, no matter what differences characters have for each other, they all have things in common circumstance wise, nonetheless, and they are all candidates for a Smash Bros. game. I don't think any possible over-complicating things and exaggeration will change that. In the end, we are all Smash fans here, and I don't think a difference between characters like Waluigi and Geno, or even Geno and King K. Rool for that matter, should be used to put down things like they are both spin-off characters, or in the case of, say, Walugi, Geno and Rosalina, being non-lead characters. You can say that doesn't matter between any of those characters for some reason, but thing is; they still have those similarities, and nothing is going to change that as well as the fact that they are candidates for Smash. This is how the KISS rule should apply. Plus, many or none of us work for Sakurai or Nintendo, or make Super Smash Bros., so I don't think it is fair to say those things as if we know the truth about all that when in fact, we don't. There is so much what we think (or know) that can possibly be applied to how Sakurai chooses and adds characters. I mean, Sonic was added late into Brawl, and he did have detractors that say he would not get in. Things can be proven wrong, and so can detractors. Trying to over-complicate and exaggerate things to make it seem like what happened with other characters won't happen for other certain characters is just a stretch that is unnecessary, and not simple.

That is all that I have to say for the matter.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
We've been lucky to get a lot of third-party series added, but once that happens each getting their own stage isn't luck, it's how Smash works.

Terry was lucky to get in, doesn't mean he should have to go share Ryu's stage because they've both been to Suzaku Castle.

It would be cool to get Layton and Phoenix Wright, it would be cool if they were revealed together. But a stage based on the crossover? Presumably it would be the courtroom, because otherwise Phoenix Wright gets in, but there isn't a courtroom stage. But that courtroom both isn't the same as in the Ace Attorney games, and now Layton is represented by a courtroom? I don't think that serves either of them that well.

What I do think would be cool is if you bought both characters, it came with an alternate medieval skin of the normal courtroom stage based on the the one from the crossover. Like the Punch-Out stage or Mementos. That would be cool.
This comment made me think the courtroom from the great ace attorney would actually make a decent stage idea for smash, more than the main series's court.

The courtroom in the main series doesn't really have much going for it but the Victorian era courtroom is pretty big due to the mob testimonies that carried over from the crossover, and the scale of justice falling on either side would make a good stage hazard, especially with what happens at the end of the great ace attorney with those scales which i wont mention because it's spoilers.

So the victorian courtroom feels like its significantly more interesting than the 2010's/2020's California court.

Last edited:
Top Bottom