• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Nintendo has said that they're not doing any new hardware releases within the next fiscal year (roughly March 2023 to March 2024). That doesn't prevent them from announcing one in that time, but I have a sense that they won't, at least not until the next year hits. They have no incentive to cut into the current console's sales for holiday 2023 via revealing a Switch 2, especially when the former is still doing solidly well. I have maintained for a while that the next console is coming out in roughly fall 2024, and its not hard to imagine a hypothetical timeline for that.

June 2023; Direct or Partner Showcase that reveals the (low key) releases for the next few months.

September 2023: Fall Direct where the last meaningful Switch games are shown off, likely with the major holiday 2023 games, a possible Pokemon remake and/or (foolish hope) a Donkey Kong title. Nothing too big though as the Switch will roughly be turning into the 3DS circa late 2016/2017; prominent but very clearly winding down. The last notable Wii U ports (Xenoblade Chronicles X & Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD) are announced for release in the months following the Direct.

Holiday 2023: The last significant Switch bundles are marketed, with MK8 Deluxe and (its finally completed) DLC getting big prominence. Deals are pushed hard with this being the last big period for major sales of the console.

February/March 2024: Mini-Direct for some select Switch games (largely third parties), but the major event is the showcase for the next Nintendo console, set to be released in October 2024, similar to the how the OG console was released in 2017.

June 2024: Nintendo Direct which goes into major detail about the launch games on the Switch 2 (likely a Mario title and potentially Metroid Prime 4).

September 2024: Last major push for the next console's games via Nintendo Direct and announcement of the major evergreen games (Mario Kart 9, Animal Crossing sequel) to really hype up fans.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Nintendo has said that they're not doing any new hardware releases within the next fiscal year (roughly March 2023 to March 2024). That doesn't prevent them from announcing one in that time, but I have a sense that they won't, at least not until the next year hits. They have no incentive to cut into the current console's sales for holiday 2023 via revealing a Switch 2, especially when the former is still doing solidly well. I have maintained for a while that the next console is coming out in roughly fall 2024, and its not hard to imagine a hypothetical timeline for that.

June 2023; Direct or Partner Showcase that reveals the (low key) releases for the next few months.

September 2023: Fall Direct where the last meaningful Switch games are shown off, likely with the major holiday 2023 games, a possible Pokemon remake and/or (foolish hope) a Donkey Kong title. Nothing too big though as the Switch will roughly be turning into the 3DS circa late 2016/2017; prominent but very clearly winding down. The last notable Wii U ports (Xenoblade Chronicles X & Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD) are announced for release in the months following the Direct.

Holiday 2023: The last significant Switch bundles are marketed, with MK8 Deluxe and (its finally completed) DLC getting big prominence. Deals are pushed hard with this being the last big period for major sales of the console.

February/March 2024: Mini-Direct for some select Switch games (largely third parties), but the major event is the showcase for the next Nintendo console, set to be released in October 2024, similar to the how the OG console was released in 2017.

June 2024: Nintendo Direct which goes into major detail about the launch games on the Switch 2 (likely a Mario title and potentially Metroid Prime 4).

September 2024: Last major push for the next console's games via Nintendo Direct and announcement of the major evergreen games (Mario Kart 9, Animal Crossing sequel) to really hype up fans.
With the SV DLC I'm not really expecting a Pokémon remake this year.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
HOw adorable to assume they wont just port Mario Kart 8 again.
Well I mean within context, porting 8 to Switch made sense. As successful as the Wii U version was, it was still stuck on a low selling console, the Switch needed a big multiplayer game to generate hype, and Mario Kart very easily lent itself to the new system's novelty (hand a friend a Joy-Con to play the game portably.

If the next system is backwards compatible (and given the evergreen sales of stuff like Mario Party and Smash it would make sense for it to be) then porting 8 Deluxe again, even with all the DLC included would still be a tough sell. If anything I believe the focus on largely retro courses for the Booster Course Pass might suggest the really big new ideas are being saved for MK9 proper with maybe a few select mechanics effectively being market tested with the BC tracks.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Well I mean within context, porting 8 to Switch made sense. As successful as the Wii U version was, it was still stuck on a low selling console, the Switch needed a big multiplayer game to generate hype, and Mario Kart very easily lent itself to the new system's novelty (hand a friend a Joy-Con to play the game portably.

If the next system is backwards compatible (and given the evergreen sales of stuff like Mario Party and Smash it would make sense be as such) then porting 8 Deluxe again, even with all the DLC included would still be a tough sell. If anything I believe the focus on largely retro courses for the Booster Course Pass might suggest the really big new ideas are being saved for MK9 proper with maybe a few select mechanics effectively being market tested with the BC tracks.
Here lately the more I think about it backwards compatibility makes less sense than more. But I see either as being plausible, if only by virtue of Nintendo having some stellar examples of ... how'd they say it? Ah yes, ahem ... "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory."

Stratos

Smash Ace
If a Donkey Kong movie comes out, I would like to see how Donkey Kong will face his greatest enemy King K. Rool and most of all what are King K. Rool's evil plans. I think they'll have him pull off an even greater evil than stealing the banana hoard of course or the Crystal Coconut from the Donkey Kong Country TV series. He could want to conquer the kingdom of the Kongs for example.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
If a Donkey Kong movie comes out, I would like to see how Donkey Kong will face his greatest enemy King K. Rool and most of all what are King K. Rool's evil plans. I think they'll have him pull off an even greater evil than stealing the banana hoard of course or the Crystal Coconut from the Donkey Kong Country TV series. He could want to conquer the kingdom of the Kongs for example.
Could make for some neat narrative parallels with the Mario movie. Bowser was keeping the Power Star as a gift for Peach. K Rool would want the Crystal Coconut, so maybe someone could ask him if there's a special someone he wants to impress. Cue the joke that no, you fool, he's already married and wants it for himself. Pretty amusing imo.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I was thinking about a possible Punch-Out!! movie too. With the whole boxing underdog stories that's been done in other medias, it would be nice to see Nintendo's comical over-the-top take on it be brought to the big screen.

That's if it's not too risky to make these days.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Bit late on this, but didn't Nintendo avoid outright saying at the shareholders' meeting that a new console wasn't coming this fiscal year? All they said was something about how their sales projections weren't including such things.

I think it leaves the door open for the Switch 2 or whatever it's officially called to launch so late in FY2023 that it doesn't affect the OG Switch's sales for this cycle much. Especially since Nintendo's biggest game of the cycle dropped last month.

Basically, I think a March 2024 launch is still 100% on the table. If not then, I'm still betting some time next spring, with an official announcement sometime this fall. The first party lineup from summer onward feels weirdly sparse--we know of nothing beyond July other than the SV DLC and the rest of the Booster Course Pass. It's reminding me of how Nintendo punted on Wii U sales in the back half of 2016 to make the Switch's first year as stacked as possible.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I was thinking about a possible Punch-Out!! movie too. With a whole boxing underdog stories that's been done in other medias, it would be nice to see Nintendo's comical over-the-top take on it be brought to the big screen.

Additionally, being animated would give it a unique spin. I can't think of any animated boxing underdog stories. Definitely hope DK makes his cameo if we get a Punch Out movie, cuz that would add to the fun and could even foreshadow a DK movie if they do Punch Out first. Come to think of it, DK being portrayed as liking combat would set up such a thing very nicely...
Thinking (2).png
Thinking (3).png

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I was thinking about a possible Punch-Out!! movie too. With a whole boxing underdog stories that's been done in other medias, it would be nice to see Nintendo's comical over-the-top take on it be brought to the big screen.

I would rather have Punch Out as a TV show where each episode has every boxer including the ones that debuted in Super one by one.

From Minor to Major to World and maybe Title Défense.

Episode 1 starting with Glass Joe and ending with Sandman.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
HOw adorable to assume they wont just port Mario Kart 8 again.
I don't think they will

I think they have the next game close to ready to go considering I imagine it was originally set for some time during the Switch, then just moved to the next one because there was no need for it after MK8D continued to take over the world.

Plus the MK team has obviously been working on something for a while, look at their output after 2017.

Here lately the more I think about it backwards compatibility makes less sense than more. But I see either as being plausible, if only by virtue of Nintendo having some stellar examples of ... how'd they say it? Ah yes, ahem ... "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory."
If the next thing is very fundamentally different than the Switch, no bc makes more sense. But if it's just an advanced Switch, no bc would be pretty shady.

Bit late on this, but didn't Nintendo avoid outright saying at the shareholders' meeting that a new console wasn't coming this fiscal year? All they said was something about how their sales projections weren't including such things.

I think it leaves the door open for the Switch 2 or whatever it's officially called to launch so late in FY2023 that it doesn't affect the OG Switch's sales for this cycle much. Especially since Nintendo's biggest game of the cycle dropped last month.

Basically, I think a March 2024 launch is still 100% on the table. If not then, I'm still betting some time next spring, with an official announcement sometime this fall. The first party lineup from summer onward feels weirdly sparse--we know of nothing beyond July other than the SV DLC and the rest of the Booster Course Pass. It's reminding me of how Nintendo punted on Wii U sales in the back half of 2016 to make the Switch's first year as stacked as possible.
I don't have the quote in front of me, but I believe it was something that implies but doesn't confirm the lack of new hardware this FY. Something with plausible deniability, like most good PR.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I saw some people calling this link:
Toon Link!
That makes me think the name does fit him too right? Which also fixes a issue of Toon Link that unlike adult link he can only represent 1 design! So how about we alter some of his proportions/ Weapons and add him as a costume for toon link?
And Then just give adult link OOT, Fierce deity, TP, SS, Champion BOTW, Tunic of the Wild, Champion TOTK and Antique Toga as alts Bam almost every link is in the game with only 2 movesets!

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

To be fair even if the statement that there's no new console this fiscal year is true, there could still be a new console fairly early next year, like say in April or May. Either way, I think that an announcement this fall is indeed what makes the more sense. My guess is that there's going to be a June direct (either full direct or at least a mini) that will showcase Everybody's 1-2 switch gameplay, Mario kart 8 booster pass wave 5, Splatoon 3 side order, Pikmin 4 and one game that will release this Fall (which I could see be something fairly small like a Kid icarus uprising remaster, or maybe a bit bigger like that rumored DK). Then in September or october, they'll drop the announcement for Switch 2 or wathever the name, and similar to Switch announcement we'll see a quick glimpse at some games (probably Mario stuff mostly) but games will be properly announced later.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I saw some people calling this link:
Toon Link!
That makes me think the name does fit him too right? Which also fixes a issue of Toon Link that unlike adult link he can only represent 1 design! So how about we alter some of his proportions/ Weapons and add him as a costume for toon link?
And Then just give adult link OOT, Fierce deity, TP, SS, Champion BOTW, Tunic of the Wild, Champion TOTK and Antique Toga as alts Bam almost every link is in the game with only 2 movesets!
He comes off as more of a Toy Link than Toon Link. That said, with slight proportional changes I think he'd fit perfectly as a costume for Toon Link regardless.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I recently started a game in minish cap but haven't played it all yet but is there anything from that game that is unique that could be added to a toy/toon link? Besides a shrink ability course which seems obvious (down b but ppl don't like transform characters).

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I recently started a game in minish cap but haven't played it all yet but is there anything from that game that is unique that could be added to a toy/toon link? Besides a shrink ability course which seems obvious (down b but ppl don't like transform characters).
The only thing that comes to mind is the mole mittens which can be use to dig holes. Aside from that and the hat that make you shrink size most of the items are just the generic Zelda items found in numerous Zelda game at the time (Bomb, boomerang, Pegasus boots).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
the glide

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Okay, hear me out: he summons Ezlo to peck the opponent for his Pummel attack thing when he grabs somebody.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The new version of Link from LA Switch is not really that similar to Toon Link beyond looking minorly cartoony. The aesthetics and proportions are completely off. It's still a 3D take on the ALTTP design(even more than the DS games), but more colorful(though it does look similar to the old Christmas specials). It has a minor Chibi vibe to it as well.

It could make for a cute costume reference, but that's about it. It's pretty much a new design overall. The overhead Link design also has smaller visible legs with a tunic as fully part of the body, and the body is also a fair bit shorter. The legs are noticeably more like a LEGO style one than actual fairly long legs(something even Toon Link reasonably has). It's like a giant pair of Boots that move around(just that unlike a penguin, the legs can be decently lifted).

It's a beautiful design... but not really like the previous ones. The most that can be said about the newer adult Link designs is the aesthetics have a cartoony vibe to them(far more than than LAS-Link has to Toon Link). It does help that Toy Link(which is a nice nickname) is so wildly different in designs beyond the obvious clothing choice that he could make for an actual legitimately cool and unique character. And due to the proportions, can't be an Echo either, but he pretty much is like a new Young Link with his selection of abilities. The usual Bow, Sword, Bombs, etc. Having a separate double jump aesthetic(something like wind below his feet, like any kind of air jumping ability seen in anime) would be a really cool way to show off the Roc's Feather alone. We also have the return of the Magic Rod from the first game, though it is weaker in the remake, but still. Lots of cool options~

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
So, question: you guys know how a lot of GBA games around the 2000’s got an anime? If you could pick any to make an anime adaptation of, which one(s) would you pick? For me:
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
  • WarioWare
  • Tomato Adventure
I would also pick WarioWare
Golden Sun
Mario vs Donkey Kong
Metroid Fusion
Mother 3
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
People talk about when the next Nintendo system comes out (which is something I understand, I need it), but an arguably more important question often gets ignored: What do we think it'll look like? As nice as it would be for it to just be the Switch but much stronger, precedent tells us that that's unlikely (They're definitely keeping the form factor, but there'll be something on top like how the 3DS was dual screens plus 3D). But on the other hand, I can't really think of a meaningful, system-selling gimmick. Small quality of life things like "multiple cartridge slots so you don't need to swap so often", or the obvious like "controllers that work", but not anything revolutionary like Motion Controls, a Touch Screen, or a Hybrid Console. But maybe I'm missing something.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dang now I gotta redownload 3H and play it. Goes and does that
Blue Lions.
Am really hoping this will happen soon indeed, but it might take a while. Probably the reason the DK game also isn't showing up. I loved the huge role DK had in the Mario Movie but am still confused by there being 0 actual presence of DK in terms of new games.
So, question: you guys know how a lot of GBA games around the 2000’s got an anime? If you could pick any to make an anime adaptation of, which one(s) would you pick? For me:
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
  • WarioWare
  • Tomato Adventure
Golden Sun. And of course the Lost Age. I also think FE6 and FE7 would make a great anime. But mostly Golden Sun.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
People talk about when the next Nintendo system comes out (which is something I understand, I need it), but an arguably more important question often gets ignored: What do we think it'll look like? As nice as it would be for it to just be the Switch but much stronger, precedent tells us that that's unlikely (They're definitely keeping the form factor, but there'll be something on top like how the 3DS was dual screens plus 3D). But on the other hand, I can't really think of a meaningful, system-selling gimmick. Small quality of life things like "multiple cartridge slots so you don't need to swap so often", or the obvious like "controllers that work", but not anything revolutionary like Motion Controls, a Touch Screen, or a Hybrid Console. But maybe I'm missing something.
I think that they are going to at least keep the hybrid system format, as it has both proven itself successful and it saves Nintendo money on not having to create a dedicated handheld console.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just want the next Nintendo console to be powerful. Most third party titles are a miracle to run on the damn console without using something like Cloud gaming. I don’t care if it isn’t all about graphics and it’s all about the fun. Nintendo doesn’t even utilize the consoles secret tech unless you’re a 1-2 Switch fan, and I am not paying 60 dollars for the worst version of Mortal Kombat I could possibly buy, a version that is somehow still one of the best selling Switch games.

Anyways Scorpion for next Smash let’s goooo :jojo:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
He comes off as more of a Toy Link than Toon Link. That said, with slight proportional changes I think he'd fit perfectly as a costume for Toon Link regardless.
What about him looks toylike in your opinion? He has no joints only a bit of shine and you know he looks like his sprite counterpart?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
i'd much rather consoles were affordable
mmm, nah

good crossplay and healthy, competitive market > “cheap” scalped switch 2 for 4x the selling price

Last edited:
Top Bottom