• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
What about him looks toylike in your opinion? He has no joints only a bit of shine and you know he looks like his sprite counterpart?
The proportions, the dot eyes, the hair being in undetailed clumps giving it a sculpted feel, and the shininess that is there evokes a plastic shine. For clarity's sake, I don't think any of this is a bad thing. I love this design! But it does feel toylike to me.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The next Nintendo console will only have digital games and once the eshop for that console dies out it will become a fancy paperweight.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
mmm nah

gaming being available to everyone > it becoming a rich persons hobby
If the next console launched at $100 more than the Switch launched at, with a contemporary and commensurate increase in power for the price, it would still be $100 cheaper than the current (standard) Playstation and Xbox (series X) launched at, neither of which are generally considered to be priced out of being "available to everyone".

Not that a lower price is meaningless to sales, it does make a difference, but you've still got a lot of room before the console would be considered "unaffordable", by industry standards.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
mmm nah

gaming being available to everyone > it becoming a rich persons hobby
I do not think you can see what I see. If you were selling me a Switch 2 rn, id be hopping over to get a Series X instead for the same price as the Switch OLED, which at this point is superior in everything that isn’t exclusives. I will agree to disagree, pls understand. :iwatadirect:

EDIT: I was wrong!!! $100 more is a pretty damn good deal still, because in this economy it doesn’t have much of a difference imo

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I beg to differ
Which is why I said "generally considered" and not "your opinion". The launch MSRP of both systems was not a huge sticking point as it has been in the past for systems like the PS3, or even the 3DS. In fact, given the known specs, the prices actually came in towards the lower end of expectations.

And, if you remember, the reason it took so long for both MS and Sony to reveal their prices was because they were playing chicken with each other, waiting to see who could go first so the other could, if not undercut them, at least match them. Given that, it's suspected Sony would've priced the PS5 higher if MS, who revealed/leaked first, priced the XSX higher.

I'm certainly not saying everyone can afford a system no problem, but I am saying by the industry standard, these were not considered prohibitive prices.

Of course I can't speak on every country's import costs, some probably do inflate it by quite a bit.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
that was entirely the point
But that's true of Switch as well

The options you laid out were "gaming being available to everyone" and "it becoming a rich persons hobby".

No gaming system is available to everyone because not everyone has the requisite funds for a luxury item like a video game console. On the other hand, the PS5 and the XSX are not priced so highly that they are solely considered "a rich person's hobby". They're not high-end gaming PCs.

You defined your terms in two extremes, so your point was that increasing the price would move the console from one to the other. And that's not true. But your revised point is also not true, because not everyone can afford the "available to everyone" option no problem either.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
But that's true of Switch as well

The options you laid out were "gaming being available to everyone" and "it becoming a rich persons hobby".

No gaming system is available to everyone because not everyone has the requisite funds for a luxury item like a video game console. On the other hand, the PS5 and the XSX are not priced so highly that they are solely considered "a rich person's hobby". They're not high-end gaming PCs.

You defined your terms in two extremes, so your point was that increasing the price would move the console from one to the other. And that's not true. But your revised point is also not true, because not everyone can afford the "available to everyone" option no problem either.
I never said what the available to everyone option was. I never once said that it wasn’t true of the switch. I could barely afford to get a replacement when I needed one.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
The new Apple Vision Pro at 3499.99 USD now THAT is high priced and way outta mainstream consumer pricing.

The PS3 was too expensive had to wait for two price drops before I got one and that was my last one bc by the time I can afford one it's like a new one a year later.

At least with Nintendo they're cheap, we have 2 switches a launch and an OLED .

It would be a mistake for Nintendo to throw down with the big boys and launch a 400 dollar console. It would alienate their audience. As it is, 70 dollar titles are a bit alienating let alone a huge startup cost with bloated console "value"... I think it can be plenty powerful without being too expensive. Switch did this, and yeah it's dated 8 years later but what technology isn't?

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I never said what the available to everyone option was. I never once said that it wasn’t true of the switch. I could barely afford to get a replacement when I needed one.
It doesn't really matter what your terms are, because by the industry standard, no current consoles were considered prohibitively priced at launch, and the Switch successor would likely have to really go up in its launch price from the last one to cause a significant level of dissent.

There are those to whom the price difference between the Nintendo system and the others is decisive, and there are those who cannot afford any system at all, but the "rich person exclusive strata" does not kick in between Switch and PS5/XSX, as in it is only in the houses of the rich you would find a current gen Playstation or XSX.

If it did, that would be a failure of Sony and MS's intentions. In part because Nintendo is not considered the "standard" of the console industry, the other two are. Nintendo is the unorthodox one.

There are several rungs on the socioeconomic ladder that own one of those two systems, it's not just right at the top.

Stratos

Smash Lord
I don't know how you get it, but the Playstation and XBOX series of consoles mean nothing to me, although I used to have a Nintendo Nes and Snes and a Sega Megadrive and a Playstation. When I first saw the Pokémon anime series, I was so passionate that I wanted to take it as a video game (which it already is and as we all know is one of the greatest video game franchises in the world), but because I had a Playstation and learned that I couldn't get it there, I decided my next console would be the Gamecube in order to get a Pokémon video game, and at first it was just for that reason. But when I got the Gamecube and played Luigi's Mansion, I loved that game so much that I finished it I don't know how many times and realized that I like Nintendo better. That's how I saw the beauty of Nintendo, so for me no console series is better than Nintendo, for me Nintendo makes the best consoles and the best video games.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It doesn't really matter what your terms are, because by the industry standard, no current consoles were considered prohibitively priced at launch, and the Switch successor would likely have to really go up in its launch price from the last one to cause a significant level of dissent.

There are those to whom the price difference between the Nintendo system and the others is decisive, and there are those who cannot afford any system at all, but the "rich person exclusive strata" does not kick in between Switch and PS5/XSX, as in it is only in the houses of the rich you would find a current gen Playstation or XSX.

If it did, that would be a failure of Sony and MS's intentions. In part because Nintendo is not considered the "standard" of the console industry, the other two are. Nintendo is the unorthodox one.

There are several rungs on the socioeconomic ladder that own one of those two systems, it's not just right at the top.
so basically you’re annoyed with my choice of words?

PeridotGX

Pranked!
NNID
Denoma5280
I'd say that the Switch is pricier than the PS5 or Series X. Yes, the console itself is cheaper, but Nintendo more than makes up for it with the way they price their games. Basically every first party Nintendo game launches at $60, and at best go down to $40 for one week a year. New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe is an 11 year old 2D platformer that still costs $60. Meanwhile, the other guys actually discount their games. God Of War 2018? 20 Bucks. Horizon Forbidden West? 40 bucks. I get why Nintendo does this, and to their credit they do seem to be experimenting a bit more (MP1 at $40, 1-2 Switch 2 at $30). But it feels a bit silly to consider the Switch Ecosystem some bastion of affordability.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
so basically you’re annoyed with my choice of words?
Word choice? No, you created a dichotomy without a middle-ground. You can use whatever words you want to describe the extremes, the problem is, you only gave the extremes as options. Either everybody or the elite.

If you want to walk that back, the problem isn't word choice, it's eliminating the entire mid-section, which is where all the home consoles reside.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Word choice? No, you created a dichotomy without a middle-ground. You can use whatever words you want to describe the extremes, the problem is, you only gave the extremes as options. Either everybody or the elite.

If you want to walk that back, the problem isn't word choice, it's eliminating the entire mid-section, which is where all the home consoles reside.
That’s your problem? Did it ever occur that it wasn’t intended to be an accurate depiction of the class system?

besides the rich are the middle ground here in Britain

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Pranked!
NNID
Denoma5280
Honestly, more than anything I just want the next system to have a controller that doesn't end up necessitating several class action lawsuits due to production flaws.
I'm normally not much of an optimist, but I have to imagine they're going to do something about that. Nintendo's going to delay the system until they can guarantee the sticks don't drift, because that happening again could actually kill the system.

As an aside, has anyone else heard of an issue where your switch doesn't register joycons attached? My switch stopped accepting left joycons a few years back, so I haven't been able to use the switch as a handheld since about 2020. I have no idea if that's a common bug or my switch being ****ed up, but regardless I really hope the Switch 2 doesn't have to deal with that either.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
good crossplay and healthy, competitive market > “cheap” scalped switch 2 for 4x the selling price
Then buy a different console.

2 companies are already doing that crap. I much prefer the way Nintendo tries to do it's own thing instead of trying to compete directly with those other 2.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm normally not much of an optimist, but I have to imagine they're going to do something about that. Nintendo's going to delay the system until they can guarantee the sticks don't drift, because that happening again could actually kill the system.

As an aside, has anyone else heard of an issue where your switch doesn't register joycons attached? My switch stopped accepting left joycons a few years back, so I haven't been able to use the switch as a handheld since about 2020. I have no idea if that's a common bug or my switch being ****ed up, but regardless I really hope the Switch 2 doesn't have to deal with that either.
That happens to me every few months now. I have to completely unplug everything (including the dock) for 10 minutes or so and plug it back in and that usually works. I’ve gone through 4 Switch Pro controllers that all became unusable due to drift so now I have an adapter to just use my PS4 controllers on the Switch instead.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think that they are going to at least keep the hybrid system format, as it has both proven itself successful and it saves Nintendo money on not having to create a dedicated handheld console.
Nintendo made a lot of weird decision in the past, but honestly I'd be shocked if the next console is not hybrid. People always bring the argument that "but Nintendo has precedent to do totally different consoles, so their next console must be something totally different", but that's totally forgetting the context behind each console changes:
-The Wii was a big change because the Gamecube underperformed and Nintendo wanted to do something different instead of doing just a "more powerful gamecube" because that way they avoid direct competition with Xbox 360 and PS3. This time, Switch has no direct competition, their the only one to do hybrid console in the first place so no need to change.
-The Wii U was a big change because at that point the Motion control novelty starts to wore off and Nintendo also wanted something new to attract more hardcore gamers unlike the Wii who was more popular among casuals. Sure it didn't really worked, but my point is that there was a reason to try something new. The Switch don't have those problems, the hybrid concept is still very popular unlike motion gaming at the time and the Switch already have a strong playerbase of both casual and hardcore game.

So yeah, people always bring the "Nintendo must innovate, because their did in the past consoles", but they never actually analyze why at the respective time they had no choice but to innovate. This time, they don't need to. Which is why I think it's going to be a simple Switch 2. They don't need a new gimmick this time because what they're doing right now just work.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The thing about Nintendo and their first party releases is that (barring underselling consoles like the N64, GC, and the Wii U) they need to greatly prioritize ensuring their games are seen as valuable in the marketplace. I think some of it might be rooted in the North American Video Came Crash where a glut of product and an inability/unwillingness to distinguish better games from lesser ones meant (among many reasons) meant that the prospective value of all titles went down as a result. Of the many market controls Nintendo instituted in the North American market after that, one of them was tendency to both not sell their games directly at too big a discount and generally make deals with retailers to ensure they couldn't mark down certain NES titles too much themselves. That' pattern hasn't really changed all that much, with the aforementioned exceptions like the Player's Choice line on N64/Gamecube or the many discounted games on the Wii U occurring because Nintendo was effectively struggling to sell as many mass quantities on lower selling consoles and cutting retail prices was the only real practical way to combat that.

While some of this policy is partially rooted in good old fashioned desire for more profit, that certain games could arguably make them more money via greater sales if the price was slashed suggests to me that some of it really is Nintendo just wanting to maintain a specific value marker for their games throughout a console's lifespan.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Then buy a different console.

2 companies are already doing that crap. I much prefer the way Nintendo tries to do it's own thing instead of trying to compete directly with those other 2.
I admired the direction… in 2006. Nintendos own thing currently feels like one step forward and the next step tripping on their shoelace three steps back. We’ll see, whenever the console is revealed. I hope the technology has advanced greatly between 2017 to now.

Every other generation of home console since N64 seems to have a flop-win-flop-win pattern, even if the GameCube is one of the best consoles and game selection ever birthed onto this beautiful earth. :nifty: Let’s hope we don’t flop.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
We’ll see, whenever the console is revealed. I hope the technology has advanced greatly between 2017 to now.
It's going to be a PS4-level Switch.

Nintendo is always a gen behind, and that's the way they like it. Lower costs, and now, added portability.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's going to be a PS4-level Switch.

Nintendo is always a gen behind, and that's the way they like it. Lower costs, and now, added portability.
One thing I like about new Nintendo is carts instead of discs still. Pretty good way to save space and re-modernize physical copies.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
So, question: you guys know how a lot of GBA games around the 2000’s got an anime? If you could pick any to make an anime adaptation of, which one(s) would you pick? For me:
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
  • WarioWare
  • Tomato Adventure
Chain of Memories
Mario and Luigi Partners in Time
Sonic Battle

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Dear Nintendo:

Thank you for Fire Emblem: Three Houses!

Being a fan of the GameCube and Wii games I was strongly anticipating the transition to the next home version.

I will admit here and now that Smash prevented me from becoming interested. Had Engage come first, yes it'd have worked because it matches the gameplay tempo better. Think back to your earliest game experience where you had a chance to try something new only to decide the game you had was still better.

Now that Smash is in jts "twilight" (dusk?) I am replaying 3H to the point I actually (Finally!) don't just want to go back to Smash all day lol. (Like fr 6 hrs is a lot...). And it's great! The pictures move now all these characters snapping to life with storytelling cues from the camera pans, just wow such an accomplishment for the series. If your handheld titles become playable on NSO I'm sure I'll try them out once I've played 3H to death (1000+hrs into Radiant Dawn it was my sleeping pill lol). After that I can give Engage a real try, without the specter of "but your Jokah thooo" looming behind every chapter.

Sincerely yours,
Me

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Dear Nintendo:

Thank you for Fire Emblem: Three Houses!

Being a fan of the GameCube and Wii games I was strongly anticipating the transition to the next home version.

I will admit here and now that Smash prevented me from becoming interested. Had Engage come first, yes it'd have worked because it matches the gameplay tempo better. Think back to your earliest game experience where you had a chance to try something new only to decide the game you had was still better.

Now that Smash is in jts "twilight" (dusk?) I am replaying 3H to the point I actually (Finally!) don't just want to go back to Smash all day lol. (Like fr 6 hrs is a lot...). And it's great! The pictures move now all these characters snapping to life with storytelling cues from the camera pans, just wow such an accomplishment for the series. If your handheld titles become playable on NSO I'm sure I'll try them out once I've played 3H to death (1000+hrs into Radiant Dawn it was my sleeping pill lol). After that I can give Engage a real try, without the specter of "but your Jokah thooo" looming behind every chapter.

Sincerely yours,
Me
i'm not sure but i think he said he likes three houses more than engage

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I only wish the Echoes were more unique like Ken, and that Shadow and Alph were among them.
I'm not sure if it would have been too early for Octoling (the Inkling was largely based on Splatoon 1, from what I recall, and Octolings weren't playable until Splatoon 2's DLC, though there was interest in seeing that happen beforehand), but they felt like they would have been a natural inclusion, either as a free update to Smash Ultimate or a cheaper DLC.

Not sure who else would work well for first parties (aside from Alph, though he was already an alternate costume), but for third parties, I would have liked to see Jeanne from Bayonetta (ideally with her Bayo 2 design as the default) and a Sonic echo, whether it's Metal Sonic, Shadow, or Tails. (Tails would be my first pick, though some moves would have to be changed like how Ken and Chrom had some different moves compared to the characters that they were based on)

Top Bottom