• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I dunno about you guys, but I kinda want that horse guy, if he is not just a person in a horse mask, in the next Smash Bros. game as a playable.
My money's on the farmer dude from the cow minigame: he'd have the PERFECT Down Smash!
According to insiders (fairly credible ones) this game is supposed to be absolutely dreadful.

Probably why you get a twitter drop reveal of a game launching within the month.
Hey, they had to put out SOMETHING with E3 dead...

dream1ng

Smash Champion
If 1, 2, Switch! can get a sequel, why not other one-off stuff like Ice Climber, Snipperclips or Tokyo Mirage Sessions?
1-2 Switch sold well and is a fairly cheap game to make. A lot of this is probably just going to continue to be repurposed tech demo stuff.

I mean I'm sure we'd prefer those other games - I have absolutely zero interest in 1-2 Switch or 1-2 Switch: Horse Edition, but I think it's shocking TMS even got a port. The first one was a bomba and the port was a bomba.

Snipperclips could continue, but eShop IPs infrequently become series. And even when they do they just kinda stop. Like, where did Pushmo go? And now Dillon is dead, rip. Plus the dev isn't a usual Nintendo partner, so that could be part of it too.

And Ice Climber... is in the deep freeze. Hopefully one day they see utility in the IP. Smash has been nourishing it for decades. But tbf Ice Climber isn't even a very good game.

Hey, they had to put out SOMETHING with E3 dead...
I think what's more compelling is the fact that they have their AGM for shareholders this month which they otherwise would walk into with a slate that is basically Pikmin 4 the following month, Metroid Prime 4 in its seventh year of TBD, and literally nothing else (DP2 isn't on their official slate).

Not that this does much tbh. I mean it's releasing before Pikmin, and it's... this.

Nintendo has never had a slate this barren before their annual shareholder meeting (or... just, ever), so maybe other things will also show up beforehand.

Stratos

Smash Lord
I wonder if in the sequel to The Super Mario Bros Movie or if there is a third movie in the future if they put Wart as the new enemy.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I love that the Twitter announcement doesn't even have an exclamation point.

Its like even Nintendo knows there's no point in pretending its an exciting reveal.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Real talk, though, the horse head mask has potential as a Mii Fighter costume piece. Prime meme material just like it was in the late 2000s.

Honestly, that silly announcement is the best early birthday present I could've gotten.
Your profile pic made me read that in Sothis' voice. Felt completely in-character somehow.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Real talk, though, the horse head mask has potential as a Mii Fighter costume piece. Prime meme material just like it was in the late 2000s.

Your profile pic made me read that in Sothis' voice. Felt completely in-character somehow.

"Too many swordsmen, are there? Fine, let us bring the horse to Smash instead."

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Just thought I'd mention that since the Pro Wrestling game was mentioned here again, fans might find something interesting in the Super Mario Bros. movie.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord

WELL... this was random...
Rumor has it some people at Nintendo were genuinely concered it would damage Nintendo's software reputation so now they just wanted it to come out to as little fanfare as possible. Like taking a dump on the side of a highway in the middle of nowhere.

This should also mean a Direct is imminent though that's obvious

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I haven't been keeping up with Direct rumors recently, but after last summer I don't think it's a given that we get a Direct soon. Maybe you meant something smaller than a general like a partner showcase or something, which would have a better chance of happening this summer?

And correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember Twitter drops as ever being indicative of an imminent Direct.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Rumor has it some people at Nintendo were genuinely concered it would damage Nintendo's software reputation so now they just wanted it to come out to as little fanfare as possible. Like taking a dump on the side of a highway in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah it does seem like they're not trying to really market this much. I also agree a direct is imminent, but not because of that honestly. Main reason is that it's June and like every game company ever is presenting things this month. There's no way Ninty's not gonna want to have a piece of the attention pie.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
her personality in byleths reveal trailer and final smash are closer to viridis than her own
You say that as if their personalities were opposites.

I feel like Sothis was pretty much just... Sothis in that trailer.

The only thing that even remotely make her "closer to Viridi" is the fourth wall breaks by doing that one swordsmen joke.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You say that as if their personalities were opposites.

I feel like Sothis was pretty much just... Sothis in that trailer.

The only thing that even remotely make her "closer to Viridi" is the fourth wall breaks by doing that one swordsmen joke.
well maybe I’m remembering it worse than it was cause it was very cringe worthy trailer

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sothis from the start was always a sassy gremlin.

Moments wherein she acts like the goddess she technically is are few and far between (and most are in the spinoff game that came out months after Byleth in Smash did).
what sass?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I haven't been keeping up with Direct rumors recently, but after last summer I don't think it's a given that we get a Direct soon. Maybe you meant something smaller than a general like a partner showcase or something, which would have a better chance of happening this summer?

And correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember Twitter drops as ever being indicative of an imminent Direct.
Yeah it does seem like they're not trying to really market this much. I also agree a direct is imminent, but not because of that honestly. Main reason is that it's June and like every game company ever is presenting things this month. There's no way Ninty's not gonna want to have a piece of the attention pie.
We can only hope they have SOMETHING planned. Though I don't think they're doing Summer Games Fest this year (to the surprise of nobody)...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Especially considering that we know almost nothing about their Holiday 2023 lineup. The only new title that we have coming up in the holiday season is Pikmin 4. Everything else is just DLC for already released games. And I don't think that Nintendo wants to rely on Pikmin and DLC for Holiday Switch sales.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Especially considering that we know almost nothing about their Holiday 2023 lineup. The only new title that we have coming up in the holiday season is Pikmin 4. Everything else is just DLC for already released games. And I don't think that Nintendo wants to rely on Pikmin and DLC for Holiday Switch sales.
To me this is the strongest evidence we're getting at least a new console announcement absolutely no later than Feb of next year. (Please age well!)

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Nintendo didn't have a general Direct last June. Or last summer at all.

They had a partner showcase, but I don't think that's what anyone is talking about here.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
To me this is the strongest evidence we're getting at least a new console announcement absolutely no later than Feb of next year. (Please age well!)
Next year would be the eighth year of the Switch's lifespan. We would be well overdue for a new console at that point.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so late game stuff for totk has led me to a smash idea minuew's construct would be an awesome fighter

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Between the Nvidia graphics card leaks a couple of years ago and the recent rumors, I'm really bullish that we're getting the next console announced soon. The Switch is really beginning to show its age, I mean TOTK had moments where it dipped below 30FPS :foe!:.

I think most likely they'll spend the latter half of 2023 on marketing this new console for it to release in early 2024.

Top Bottom