• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
you probably wouldn't like my opinion that we should've gotten one of the Pro Wrestling fighters instead of Incineroar then
especially since it's one of the few post-Famicom first party games that has absolutely nothing in Smash whatsoever
It deserves some Spirits.

Everything deserves Spirits.

Even if they were a success?
If it were actually successful, it wouldn't have lain dormant for 40 years.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
It deserves some Spirits.

Everything deserves Spirits.

If it were actually successful, it would have lain dormant for 40 years.
Well, apparently, Ice Climber is one of the best selling games on the NES, having sold over a million copies.

The only thing that feels off to me about Bayonetta's inclusion is we don't also have Dante. Here's to hoping Dante joins the roster next game!
Dante being a Mii costume could lead to that. Who knows?

Smash is the place for matching crossovers, it seems.

RPG fans should be very grateful. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, and Persona? That's why I wouldn't be surprise if a Nihon Falcom character gets in the next game.

Doom is represented but imagine if Doom Slayer was playable character. Doom and Metroid? That'd be cool too!

We've seen Street Fighter, Fatal Fury, and Tekken in crossovers already but if Mortal Kombat was thrown into the mix, that would add something totally new and fresh.

For some reason, I'm interested in seeing Punch-Out!! and River City. I don't know why but they seem like a good mix too.
Kunio-kun and Punch-Out(1).png

Of course, I'm not saying that's it but for some reason, I always find myself comparing these two series. I really do enjoy them, though.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Since we are talking about Bayonetta, 3rd Parties and Smash Ballot, good time to have this topic.

How should 3rd Parties be handle in terms of representation? Should be a focus on variety of IPs from a few companies or the guest style route with one IP per Company?

Should be for example Sega with Sonic, Bayo, Joker but with a lot less companies in mix or should be Sega=Sonic, SE=Cloud, Konami=Snake etc but with more companies involved
I think at this point, it’s going to end up a variety of IPs. Smash 4 and Ultimate strongly support that notion. It’s hard to envision them restricting guest characters arbitrarily when Nintendo themselves pushed for this roster. Outside of a nuclear reboot, I think third parties will be handled in a similar way to past games.

Personally, I’m all for keeping the status quo. Having one character solely represent a company for the sake of it feels pointless. So long as the character has a strong place in gaming history and/or would be a fun character in smash, why does it matter? It’s a good thing we can have Ryu and Mega Man in the same game. It’s great that Cloud and Hero are in. Going only one per company feels like bottlenecking third parties just for the sake of bottlenecking third parties, which just feels pointless.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I think at this point, it’s going to end up a variety of IPs. Smash 4 and Ultimate strongly support that notion. It’s hard to envision them restricting guest characters arbitrarily when Nintendo themselves pushed for this roster. Outside of a nuclear reboot, I think third parties will be handled in a similar way to past games.

Personally, I’m all for keeping the status quo. Having one character solely represent a company for the sake of it feels pointless. So long as the character has a strong place in gaming history and/or would be a fun character in smash, why does it matter? It’s a good thing we can have Ryu and Mega Man in the same game. It’s great that Cloud and Hero are in. Going only one per company feels like bottlenecking third parties just for the sake of bottlenecking third parties, which just feels pointless.
So what you're saying is, we need both Adol AND Estelle to rep Nihon Falcom, right?

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Since we are talking about Bayonetta, 3rd Parties and Smash Ballot, good time to have this topic.

How should 3rd Parties be handle in terms of representation? Should be a focus on variety of IPs from a few companies or the guest style route with one IP per Company?

Should be for example Sega with Sonic, Bayo, Joker but with a lot less companies in mix or should be Sega=Sonic, SE=Cloud, Konami=Snake etc but with more companies involved
Variety is clearly the way to go, and I'm glad the developers agree. If they went with the one-per-company rule, I probably wouldn't have gotten my at-the-time most wanted, Banjo & Kazooie. Microsoft and Nintendo would feel like their hands were tied, since Steve and Minecraft are more popular overall. So older gamers like myself who like scrimblos would have felt ignored. I am currently very glad that, in the many great forum wars between Steve fans and Banjo fans, both won. I feel like the best outcome for when two character fandoms argue and are kinda forced to be rivals to the extent Banjo and Steve fans were, is to simply add both characters.

Furthermore, many companies don't have just one character who has made a huge impact on gaming, but several. A certain green space marine comes to mind immediately when I think about the next gaming icons who should join Smash, and he so happens to also be a Microsoft character.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Bayonetta has weird proportions that are, from a design perspective, the opposite of what is proven to help make an endearing character (design-wise), being a big head with big facial features. They literally went the opposite way with her, little bean of a head and big giraffe legs. She does look kinda weird. But a lot of video game characters look kinda weird. If that's what you get disgusted about, that's... odd.

Especially if you're able to stomach things like Resident Evil, Doom, and Mortal Kombat.

But the thing is, in Smash, she doesn't have those weird proportions. Her anatomy is much more unified with the other human-like characters. So I don't get it.

Personally, my only problem with Bayonetta in Smash isn't with the character so much as it was that they lied regarding her inclusion. If you want to include her, include her, but it's out of order to fix the ballot (for Smash 4).

And accusing me of being nearly sexist for having problems with a character who is basically a living depiction of everything that’s ever been used as example of why video game characters are sexist is a truly baffling stance to take
How do you feel about Ivy Valentine, Cortana, Mileena and Felicia?

Well, apparently, Ice Climber is one of the best selling games on the NES, having sold over a million copies.
It's tied for 43rd, apparently.

A lot of NES games sold over a million copies.

Variety is clearly the way to go, and I'm glad the developers agree. If they went with the one-per-company rule, I probably wouldn't have gotten my at-the-time most wanted, Banjo & Kazooie. Microsoft and Nintendo would feel like their hands were tied, since Steve and Minecraft are more popular overall. So older gamers like myself who like scrimblos would have felt ignored. I am currently very glad that, in the many great forum wars between Steve fans and Banjo fans, both won. I feel like the best outcome for when two character fandoms argue and are kinda forced to be rivals to the extent Banjo and Steve fans were, is to simply add both characters.

Furthermore, many companies don't have just one character who has made a huge impact on gaming, but several. A certain green space marine comes to mind immediately when I think about the next gaming icons who should join Smash, and he so happens to also be a Microsoft character.
It seems possible Banjo still could've happened since Steve seemed to spend a lot of time having not made progress from when conversations started to when he actually arrived. I know people like to raise the "five years", but most of that five years was not actually spent working on realizing it.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
How do you feel about Ivy Valentine, Cortana, Mileena and Felicia?
well with ivy i most remember how daft her accent is. cortana is a feature on my laptop i never use. don't know who mileena is. as for felicia, well she's not the best marvel character but there's no reason not to use black cat

Gengar84

Smash Hero
well with ivy i most remember how daft her accent is. cortana is a feature on my laptop i never use. don't know who mileena is. as for felicia, well she's not the best marvel character but there's no reason not to use black cat
Millena is the female ninja from Mortal Kombat dressed in purple with the crazy Baraka mouth. I think the Felicia dream1ng was referring to was the cat girl from Darkstalkers, not the one from Spider Man.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Miler s is the female ninja from Mortal Kombat dressed in purple with the crazy Baraka mouth. I think the Felicia dream1ng was referring to was the cat girl from Darkstalkers, not the one from Spider Man.
oh is she the one with the "gorenado" fatality? i think i know who you mean
was this cat girl in MVC3? cause i again i might know who you mean

Gengar84

Smash Hero
oh is she the one with the "gorenado" fatality? i think i know who you mean
was this cat girl in MVC3? cause i again i might know who you mean
I just looked it up and Kitana was the one with the gorenado. With her mask on, Mileena looks just like Kitana but wears purple instead of blue. The biggest visual difference is that Mileena has a big monster mouth with huge sharp teeth when she takes her mask off while Kitana just looks like a normal person.

Yeah, Felicia has been in multiple Marvel Vs. Capcom games. She was even included over Morrigan in Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite, which is kind of surprising.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
It seems possible Banjo still could've happened since Steve seemed to spend a lot of time having not made progress from when conversations started to when he actually arrived. I know people like to raise the "five years", but most of that five years was not actually spent working on realizing it.
Er well, in a scenario where each company can only have 1 character, perhaps Banjo & Kazooie and Steve could have been the exception for this reason. But the context of my post is that I was responding to the question of which do I think is better: only allowing 1 character per 3rd party company, which would allow for more companies to add a character (for instance, since Sega already had Sonic, we'd have different fighters from different companies in the place of Bayonetta and Joker), or do I think it's better that we have multiple characters per company? I used Banjo and Steve as examples of why I prefer having multiple characters from the same company.

Thinking about it further, it probably also makes negotiations easier. Nintendo can negotiate for two characters at once, or return to a company again years later. Which, since the company already has a character in Smash, and they would be happy with how the character is included since they're involved in the process, would bode well for getting another character from that company.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I think the Felicia dream1ng was referring to was the cat girl from Darkstalkers, not the one from Spider Man.
Yeah I'm talking about video game characters, not comic characters.

Yeah, Felicia has been in multiple Marvel Vs. Capcom games. She was even included over Morrigan in Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite, which is kind of surprising.
No she wasn't, Morrigan is in MvC:I.

Er well, in a scenario where each company can only have 1 character, perhaps Banjo & Kazooie and Steve could have been the exception for this reason. But the context of my post is that I was responding to the question of which do I think is better: only allowing 1 character per 3rd party company, which would allow for more companies to add a character (for instance, since Sega already had Sonic, we'd have different fighters from different companies in the place of Bayonetta and Joker), or do I think it's better that we have multiple characters per company? I used Banjo and Steve as examples of why I prefer having multiple characters from the same company.

Thinking about it further, it probably also makes negotiations easier. Nintendo can negotiate for two characters at once, or return to a company again years later. Which, since the company already has a character in Smash, and they would be happy with how the character is included since they're involved in the process, would bode well for getting another character from that company.
Well I mean I was also operating under that scenario. I'm sure progress halted on Steve for sizeable durations, and if Banjo had happened in the interim, and we were only allowed one per company, it would've been Banjo.

Not saying I agree with a one-per-company policy or anything. And yeah, getting multiple characters from the same third-party is much easier. If every third-party had to be from a different company, we'd need at least, what? Eighteen? different third-parties on board for the quantity we have now.

But on the other hand, you could have a pretty good roster of 18 just from like Capcom and Microsoft alone.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah I'm talking about video game characters, not comic characters.

No she wasn't, Morrigan is in MvC:I.

Well I mean I was also operating under that scenario. I'm sure progress halted on Steve for sizeable durations, and if Banjo had happened in the interim, and we were only allowed one per company, it would've been Banjo.

Not saying I agree with a one-per-company policy or anything. And yeah, getting multiple characters from the same third-party is much easier. If every third-party had to be from a different company, we'd need at least, what? Eighteen? different third-parties on board for the quantity we have now.

But on the other hand, you could have a pretty good roster of 18 just from like Capcom and Microsoft alone.
Hmmm so she was. That’s weird because I remember hearing Top Hat Gaming on YouTube complain about her absence. Was she in the base roster? Maybe I’m just remembering wrong.

Edit: I just did a quick Google search and it looks like Morrigan was added later as DLC. Top Hat was probably referring to the fact that Felicia made the base game and Morrigan had to wait for DLC.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I just looked it up and Kitana was the one with the gorenado. With her mask on, Mileena looks just like Kitana but wears purple instead of blue. The biggest visual difference is that Mileena has a big monster mouth with huge sharp teeth when she takes her mask off while Kitana just looks like a normal person.

then I don’t know her

Gengar84

Smash Hero
that’s one for the nightmares
Totally. Mileena would definitely make for an interesting Smash character if for some reason they went with her over Scorpion or Sub-Zero. We don’t really have a horror type character in Smash yet. The closest we have is probably Ridley. I’m not sure whether her nightmarish design would be suitable for an E rated game but it would be cool nonetheless.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Hmmm so she was. That’s weird because I remember hearing Top Hat Gaming on YouTube complain about her absence. Was she in the base roster? Maybe I’m just remembering wrong.

Edit: I just did a quick Google search and it looks like Morrigan was added later as DLC. Top Hat was probably referring to the fact that Felicia made the base game and Morrigan had to wait for DLC.
In MvC:I? Morrigan is base and Felicia isn't on the roster

I think whatever info you're getting is from a different game. Not sure which though, Morrigan and Felicia haven't been on too many rosters lately, and when she is on a roster, Morrigan is usually one of the base characters.

Edit: Or you're just mixing up who the absence complaint was about, since Felicia was in the previous two MvCs.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I think whatever info you're getting is from a different game. Not sure which though, Morrigan and Felicia haven't been on too many rosters lately, and when she is on a roster, Morrigan is usually one of the base characters.

Edit: Or you're just mixing up who the absence complaint was about, since Felicia was in the previous two MvCs.
Yeah, I guess I can’t trust the first Google page I look at. You’re right. I’m not sure where that thought came from. I tend to have a pretty bad memory so I was likely just remembering wrong.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Totally. Mileena would definitely make for an interesting Smash character if for some reason they went with her over Scorpion or Sub-Zero. We don’t really have a horror type character in Smash yet. The closest we have is probably Ridley. I’m not sure whether her nightmarish design would be suitable for an E rated game but it would be cool nonetheless.
I may not be a fan of horror but I would be interested to see what they could do with a character. Beyond the assist trophy we have

altough does king boo count?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Okay, so here are the crossovers Felicia appears in:
  • Pocket Fighter
  • SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium
  • Marvel vs. Capcom 2
  • The Puzzle Fighter series
  • Capcom Fighting Evolution (which is the game where she made it over Morrigan)
  • Namco x Capcom (where she was paired with King, the only cross-company Pair Unit in the game KOS-MOS should’ve teamed up with Classic Mega Man that’s all I’m saying)
  • Cross Edge
  • (Ultimate) Marvel vs. Capcom 3
  • Project X Zone 2 (Solo Unit this time)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To be honest, even with the teeth, she's really not that bad. Naturally any blood/gore would be gone, so even her eating habits as attacks would be fine.

As the image above showed, her design only at most needs a shirt underneath to avoid too much skin showing, and she's good. For the most part, the 3 ninja girl designs(though we do get a few more) are reasonable in general. They at worse have a bit of a boob window, which as I said, the shirt covers up fast. It's only some costumes that definitely won't make it(like Mileena's extra costume in 9).

Something I like about Mileena is some of her sillier moves, like her chewing on nails and spitting them at an opponent.

Also, to point out something from before, Mileena is a physical copy of Kitana in-universe, sometimes created to replace the good character in order to make ruling Edenia even easier. Jade on the other hand is just a case of "easy to remake the design for more characters". What also helps is that both Kitana and Mileena have a minor bit of fanservice as a character factor. Kitana is trying to appeal to Liu Kang, and Mileena uses it to lure people in for a snack. Jade wearing the same costume design doesn't have any of this in comparison, so it's a completely unnecessary design factor while still a coincidence. Tanya and later Skarlet are the same issue. Frost isn't any better about it either(though she came about with a somewhat different design, but that's due to being a female take on Sub-Zero, who has since been a bit more unique. Skarlet is intentionally supposed to take the Klassic ninja girl design). Khamelon doesn't fix the fanservicey design till Armageddon, where she has at least a shirt underneath. By 11, she returns with an all new design wearing a crop top, the first major change that isn't just "mostly the same" for her. Though it is worth noting she doesn't appear that often due to being originally a Nintendo exclusive character. Incidentally she became known for the coloring of turquoise over gray(just like her male counterpart, Chameleon).

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
The lack of grotesque or horror themed characters in smash probably relates to the aforementioned protagonist vs antagonist for representation of franchises, icon status as a villain (Kefka) or creature of horror (Mantarok, Medusa), in addition to the obvious implications for game rating. They make great bosses for sure, but for a playable character Smash promotes the hero of the story whose job is to vanquish the evil monster. Parasite Eve would be an amazing inclusion and to boot Eve has design features that could still evoke "horror" inconography without being overtly gross. BTW Arsene to me looks gross, dunno why lol.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The lack of grotesque or horror themed characters in smash probably relates to the aforementioned protagonist vs antagonist for representation of franchises, icon status as a villain (Kefka) or creature of horror (Mantarok, Medusa), in addition to the obvious implications for game rating. They make great bosses for sure, but for a playable character Smash promotes the hero of the story whose job is to vanquish the evil monster. Parasite Eve would be an amazing inclusion and to boot Eve has design features that could still evoke "horror" inconography without being overtly gross. BTW Arsene to me looks gross, dunno why lol.
I just love as much variety as possible with playable characters in Smash. I tend to prefer many villain and monster designs over the main protagonist but that’s not always the case. Sometimes the most popular character or main protagonist happens to also be one of my favorites. That’s why a lot of my most wanted come from western franchises despite JRPGs being my favorite genre.

I don’t know if you could really classify them as horror since that’s not really their game’s genres but two scarier looking characters I’d love to see in Smash are Sarah Kerrigan from StarCraft and Diablo. Both are among the most important characters in their respective franchises and have really unique designs despite neither being the main protagonist. As far as pure horror characters go, I think Nemesis from Resident Evil would be awesome to play as in Smash even though he’s less likely than characters like Chris, Jill, or Leon.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I wonder if they'll put in someone from Warcraft like Arthas Menethil or Thrall.
I would love that. Illidan is one of my most wanted characters but others like Arthas or Thrall would be great too. We’ll just have to wait and see if Microsoft’s acquisition goes through and if that helps their chances since Microsoft has already worked with Nintendo for two characters in Ultimate.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Would Fulgore be considered horror in someway since he's basically the Predator in his universe?
I’m not sure whether he’d be considered horror any more than Nightmare but I’d love to see either one of them. I think Hisako is probably the closest thing to a horror Killer Instinct character and she’d be awesome too. Other characters like Spinal and Sabrewulf are based on horror monsters but Hisako just has that extra creepy vibe going on. You could make the case for several others like the ones mentioned above. Fulgore basically seems like a cross between the Predator and Terminator, which were both horror action movies (at least the first in each franchise) so you could consider Fulgore horror by that metric.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I’m not sure whether he’d be considered horror any more than Nightmare but I’d love to see either one of them. I think Hisako is probably the closest thing to a horror Killer Instinct character and she’d be awesome too. Other characters like Spinal and Sabrewulf are based on horror monsters but Hisako just has that extra creepy vibe going on. You could make the case for several others like the ones mentioned above. Fulgore basically seems like a cross between the Predator and Terminator, which were both horror action movies (at least the first in each franchise) so you could consider Fulgore horror by that metric.
I just mentioned him because he's horror based but without grotesque features that other characters have, so he'd be a much safer pick.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I just mentioned him because he's horror based but without grotesque features that other characters have, so he'd be a much safer pick.
Yeah that’s true. Fulgore is basically the poster character for Killer Instinct despite Jago being the main protagonist. There isn’t really anything about him that wouldn’t be suitable for an E rating. I’d love to see either Fulgore, Sub-Zero, or Nighmare make it in Smash at some point but I’ll take just about anyone from KI because I really like the whole roster. There shouldn’t be much stopping Nightmare for similar reasons though Sub-Zero or Scorpion have some hurdles to overcome in order to have a realistic shot but I think anything is possible.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
It's tied for 43rd, apparently.

A lot of NES games sold over a million copies.
But I'm very surprised at the games that, from the looks of it, didn't sell that much, such as Ninja Gaiden, Contra, Double Dragon, and even Castlevania.

Of course, this doesn't mean they weren't a success or any less of the NES classics that they obviously are but still...

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
? Morrigan is in Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite.

Edit: dream1ng already said it

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
what hurdles are you thinking of?
Mainly that Japan doesn’t sell the modern Mortal Kombat games due to the graphic violence. That could potentially make Nintendo somewhat hesitant to include a character in their E rated game. The original movie, cartoon, and Injustice games show that these characters can easily be toned down for a wider audience while keeping the traits everyone loves so I don’t rule out the possibility.

? Morrigan is in Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite.

Edit: dream1ng already said it
Yeah, I got mixed up. I could have sworn I remembered Felicia being in and not Morrigan but I was misremembering.

Maybe Gengar84 Gengar84 is mistaking it with another Capcom crossover blunder: Capcom Fighting Jam.
I think you’re exactly right. I just watched Top Hat’s video on Fighting Jam last week and I was mixing up the two games because I saw him talk about Infinite a week prior.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Mainly that Japan doesn’t sell the modern Mortal Kombat games due to the graphic violence. That could potentially make Nintendo somewhat hesitant to include a character in their E rated game. The original movie, cartoon, and Injustice games show that these characters can easily be toned down for a wider audience while keeping the traits everyone loves so I don’t rule out the possibility.

Yeah, I got mixed up. I could have sworn I remembered Felicia being in and not Morrigan but I was misremembering.

I think you’re exactly right. I just watched Top Hat’s video on Fighting Jam last week and I was mixing up the two games because I saw him talk about Infinite a week prior.
I don't blame you.
I'm subscribed to his channel.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

oh im sorry i misread your post I thought you meant hurdles for nightmare

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No worries. Nightmare’s only real hurdle is that there are a few bigger fighting games these days than Soul Calibur and he might be behind a Tales character for another Bandai-Namco rep but I think it’s totally feasible that he could still be chosen.
indeed. although nothings ever for sure in smash

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
No worries. Nightmare’s only real hurdle is that there are a few bigger fighting games these days than Soul Calibur and he might be behind a Tales character for another Bandai-Namco rep but I think it’s totally feasible that he could still be chosen.
  • Nightmare
  • feasible

Last edited:
Top Bottom