• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I enjoyed the big stages when I played Ult. As Dan said, they're only good with about 6 to 8 players, but they can be very fun. Always been quite the Mario Bros. fan myself, and Windy Hill - despite it's dull theming - is absolutely great thanks to it's horizontality. Funnily enough, I probably find Temple to be one of the least fun - I think stages like this work best with ludicrous, unavoidable hazards to make damage rack up faster.
Read this wrong. Love Playing team battles on these stages. The Zelda one is great.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Nah, stages like Corneria definitely feel smaller than they used to be. And speaking of, Cloud Sea of Alrest feels smaller than it should be. I know Azurda wasn’t as big of a Titan as the others, but even then, as a stage, he feels too small for even four players.
I agree. The size of the Cloud Sea stage always kind of bothered me. If I knew how, I’d mod my game to make some stages a bit bigger. It kind of feels wrong when characters are so out of scale compared to the buildings or other background elements.

There are three things I’d love for them to address in the next game. First is the AI always targeting you over other AI opponents. It makes fighting against 3 or more computer players in a free for all kind of annoying. I have to usually stick to one on ones or team battles. Second, and less important is the fact that it chooses the default outfit 90% of the time when choosing random. Normally, that’s not to big a deal but it gets kind of annoying when playing with mods since you don’t often get to see any on other slots when you pick random. I’d like it if every costume slot had an equal chance of being chosen for random. The third is to change that huge “Ready to Fight!” banner. I don’t know who came up with that but it makes selecting characters after a match more annoying than it needs to be trying to find the icons under the banner.

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
I think a lot of the stages in the game would benefit from increasing in scale slightly if there's more than 4 players.
Also if we're talking about AI flaws, you gotta mention the endless cycle of edgeguarding attempts that happen in FFA matches.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
It's peculiar to think about the time where Smash Bros was at it's infancy only focused on Nintendo History and wasn't the corporate crossover conglomerate of self-proclaimed celebration of gaming it is today.

Back then, fans needs other ways to satisfied their desire of Video Game Matchups of their favorite character dunking out.

For who have been on GameFaQs, were all the way back 2002 and even earlier or both, do you remember competition like these?

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
It's peculiar to think about the time where Smash Bros was at it's infancy only focused on Nintendo History and wasn't the corporate crossover conglomerate of self-proclaimed celebration of gaming it is today.

Back then, fans needs other ways to satisfied their desire of Video Game Matchups of their favorite character dunking out.

For who have been on GameFaQs, were all the way back 2002 and even earlier or both, do you remember competition like these?

As a reminder, a ****ing Tetris Block won one of the editions after this one. (i haven't seen the video but there will be a moment when this fact is mentionedl.

EDIT: Yes it mentions it LoL!

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Nah, stages like Corneria definitely feel smaller than they used to be. And speaking of, Cloud Sea of Alrest feels smaller than it should be. I know Azurda wasn’t as big of a Titan as the others, but even then, as a stage, he feels too small for even four players.
Some stages in the game were definitely built with duels in mind. I always had that theory in my head, but Small Battlefield feels like it all but confirmed it.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

I miss the bracket haven't done it in years prolly only once since 03. I voted for Mario.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

Yeah, I remember them. Some of those matchups I'm still surprised, like Pac-Man beating Kyo Kusanagi for example. I'm not sure if they were going by character designs, historical significance, or favorite series.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So this is gonna sound weird but there’s a character I have been thinking about recently I kinda wanna give credence to.
IMG_1890.png

That would be Popeye.

I know what you’re thinking, he’s not a videogame character but hear me out. I think if there is any exception to the non videogame character rule it should be him.

Popeye is essentially why Nintendo is where it is today and has a very tight history with them. Even before they entered game development they had made Popeye playing and Hanafunda cards.
IMG_1923.jpeg

IMG_1924.jpeg

IMG_1925.jpeg

Now to circle back to me saying Nintendo is what they are today because of Popeye, Donkey Kong was originally supposed to be a Popeye game but they couldn’t get the license to Popeye so it was reskinned with expy characters, Olive Oyl became Pauline, Bluto became Donkey Kong, and Popeye became Jumpman/Mario, and the rest is history.
IMG_1926.jpeg

Eventually though, they did get the Popeye license from King Features Syndicate, and several Popeye games were produced including the arcade game, a Japanese educational game, and even a Game and Watch system
IMG_1804.png

IMG_1805.png

IMG_1806.jpeg

So take this as you will, I know that non-videogame characters are a VERY controversial topic in the community, but I believe Popeye is significant enough to gaming and to Nintendo’s history that a case for an exception could be made, that is all.

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
So this is gonna sound weird but there’s a character I have been thinking about recently I kinda wanna give credence to.
View attachment 371126
That would be Popeye.

I know what you’re thinking, he’s not a videogame character but hear me out. I think if there is any exception to the non videogame character rule it should be him.

Popeye is essentially why Nintendo is where it is today and has a very tight history with them. Even before they entered game development they had made Popeye playing and Hanafunda cards.
View attachment 371128
View attachment 371129
View attachment 371130
Now to circle back to me saying Nintendo is what they are today because of Popeye, Donkey Kong was originally supposed to be a Popeye game but they couldn’t get the license to Popeye so it was reskinned with expy characters, Olive Oyl became Pauline, Bluto became Donkey Kong, and Popeye became Jumpman/Mario, and the rest is history.
View attachment 371131
Eventually though, they did get the Popeye license from King Features Syndicate, and several Popeye games were produced including the arcade game, a Japanese educational game, and even a Game and Watch system
View attachment 371132
View attachment 371133
View attachment 371134
So take this as you will, I know that non-videogame characters are a VERY controversial topic in the community, but I believe Popeye is significant enough to gaming and to Nintendo’s history that a case for an exception could be made, that is all.
I agree but don't agree. I'd much rather have smash be video game characters only but if one non gaming media character had to get in it would definitely be Popeye.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
It's absolutely ridiculous to suggest Waluigi has "nothing to work with" when he's been given a ton of things to work with over the years.
Yeah, he could just incorporate a bunch of moves from the various spin-offs he was involved in. I’m not really sure Toad does a whole lot that other Mario characters haven’t already done in Smash either. Peach already has the vegetable pulling covered. Plus, having nothing to work with never stopped characters like Fox, Captain Falcon, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager and Duck Hunt. I normally prefer a character to have a faithful moveset but I don’t mind filling in moves for characters that never fought hand to hand before.
Toad could pull from captain toad tho and at the very least toad actually usesd some powerups so you could give them to him!
Waluigi on the other hand asside from the rose thing and maybe like one or two special moves (some of which he recieved after ultimate)
Also the diffrence is a foloow al of the characters mentioned are the only ones fr
Lots of the Ultimate newcomers in that image don’t use their Smash renders. This is probably an old roster maker from 2018.
There is a new one ? Can you please link it to me?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Okay, I'm still not sure how successful the AW remake will be, but I think it's safe to say Wayforward wants to make more games in the series (or at the very least, keep collabing with Nintendo):

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
View attachment 371126
That would be Popeye.

View attachment 371128
View attachment 371129
View attachment 371130
View attachment 371131
View attachment 371132
View attachment 371133
View attachment 371134
Better and historical non-video game pick than the likes of Son Goku or SpongeBob.
1682175365195.png

1682175432444.png
They also released Twister in Japan.
Nintendo was weird back then with their toy licenses.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Okay. But there shouldn't be any exception to the non videogame character rule.
I've heard people talking about Geralt of Rivia (who originated as a novel character). And of course there's James Bond, who is the most requested non-video game character for Smash, and that's mostly due to how iconic Goldeneye on the N64 is. Notably I don't think that any non-video game character is getting in Smash. Multiversus exists so they can get in that game instead.

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I agree but don't agree. I'd much rather have smash be video game characters only but if one non gaming media character had to get in it would definitely be Popeye.
If smash were an Xbox exclusive my pick would be The Burger King. Their exclusives on the Xbox were great.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I've always been an advocate of Mickey Mouse popping up in Smash (if you're going to go non-video game, might as well go big), though a lot of that is rooted in the fact that I think there's so much moveset potential from his various games (Illusion Series, Magical Quest, Mickey Mania, Epic Mickey, etc).

Ivander

Smash Legend

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

So, the new SCCC is finally out! I hope you all enjoy this one.

Here is the link to the third part of the poll. This is going to be Pokemon stuff.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Gholdengo sweep let's go baby.

Toad could pull from captain toad tho and at the very least toad actually usesd some powerups so you could give them to him!
Waluigi on the other hand asside from the rose thing and maybe like one or two special moves (some of which he recieved after ultimate)
Also the diffrence is a foloow al of the characters mentioned are the only ones fr
1. I literally never denied Toad or Captain Toad's potential.

2. You're aware that multiple people have made full movesets for Waluigi, right? And they almost never include post-Ultimate stuff in them save for maybe an Aces inspired mechanic for a tennis move? And that was, at best, a game in development at the same time, not after.

You're speaking absolute nonsense. Waluigi has plenty to work with. And at the very least he has a lot more to work with than the literal OC you keep pushing for some reason, so maybe don't cast stones if you live in a glass house.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Here is the link to the third part of the poll. This is going to be Pokemon stuff.
If you don't mind me commenting, I think part of the reason Slippy ended up being more popular than Peppy might be because he has potential to be unique, if Smash is willing to lean into the fact that Slippy is a mechanic, a la Star Fox Guard. Just my opinion, though, I'm probably wrong.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

A couple thoughts on the Metroid side of things. For Raven Beak, it is very impressive and a bit surprising that he ended up with such a high standing, but I think that really sells how much of an impression he left with just his one appearance. His character, design, role in the backstory, and especially his boss fight gave us something to really latch on and it made it easy to get excited or at least OK with the idea of him being playable in Smash. He's kind of like Midna in that regard who he placed similarly to, a character who only made one mainline appearance (though Midna also got Hyrule Warriors in terms of spinoffs), but in that one appearance did everything to make you love the character and have them stay with you.

On the flipside, with Sylux I feel what's really hurting him at this point is that the situation surrounding him has been dragged out for so long. We've been teased on something big for the character for over a decade now and yet we still have no clue what it will be and with Prime 4 still being in development we have no clue when we'll get the payoff. As a result, it's hard to get invested in the character since they've only given breadcrumbs for us to attach to him and even worse, since we've been teased that way for so long it's easy to grow increasingly ambivalent towards him. It also doesn't help that for a good while he was pushed as the 'next best Metroid rep', which can and did backfire as the rally behind the character ended up being centered around getting a new Metroid rep. Thus, when Ridley and Dark Samus got in that push lost all the wind in the sails and tanked him since Metroid is considered to be in a good position now character-wise and there's not enough to Sylux to keep many fans pushing him for another spot. In the end he really needs Prime 4 to come out and show what the character can do as he can't rely on ifs, whens, and maybes anymore, fans need something tangible to work with if they want a new Metroid rep and Sylux in his current state doesn't provide that.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Not to be a debbie downer but i don't think the lid should be open to 4th Parties

Not only that would it be harder to negotiate, I thought being a crossover based solely on Video Games is what made Smash series special. I mean without that then what is Smash other a generic crossover?

Not to mention they are still candidates from gaming that still haven't made it. Why dashed those chances just for 4th parties where choices just generic standard choices like Goku, Shrek etc?

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Not to be a debbie downer but i don't think the lid should be open to 4th Parties

Not only that would it be harder to negotiate, I thought being a crossover based solely on Video Games is what made Smash series special. I mean without that then what is Smash other a generic crossover?

Not to mention they are still candidates from gaming that still haven't made it. Why dashed those chances just for 4th parties where choices just generic standard choices like Goku, Shrek etc?
I agree wholeheartedly with this. But there are characters that blur the line. Characters from non-video game franchises that only appear in video games. Such as Revan or Cal Kestis in Star Wars or Android 21 in Dragon Ball. Should we consider these characters as possibilities? Or are they still off the table because they aren't from a video game franchise? I think they likely are off the table, maybe for the better, but it's interesting to think about and consider.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I want people to stop asking for the same boring things and dream more weird and creative characters for Smash like Asterix and Obelix, the PBS Kids siblings, Totoro, Ronald McDonald, and more that gets dumber and dumber with each character mentioned on my personal list. :4pacman:
(I like to see characters that didn't originate from a video game and i'm fine with Nickelodeon All-Stars and MultiVersus despite their respective flaws. But i fear on how Smash will be ruined and radically change it's focus)

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Haven't been here or done any Smash speculation posts in a while, but I'll throw my two cents in about non-video game characters.

Smash opening the door for non-video game characters is a rabbit hole that I really don't think the series should go down. Smash isn't just a fighting game, it's a celebration of gaming in general, first and foremost, Diluting that by adding characters who didn't originate from nor are more prominent in video games than other mediums would mean it's no longer a celebration of gaming. And frankly, with how many different IPs are out there, it'd be opening the door to way too many completely different characters from completely different IPs. The franchise would be a complete mess.

That being said, I find it unlikely that the series will ever actually try bringing in 3rd party characters from outside the video game world, if mostly because of the potential copyright and licensing nightmare it could be.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
There could be a smash vs where the smash side is like 25 to 30 chrs from Ultimate and the "x" side be whatever and in that side is Geralt for example if the X was PC heros ...

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Personally, the only non video game characters that I would accept would be Hatsune Miku. I mean, a software character is probably the closest thing to video game a non-video game character can be, and either way at this point she's mostly known as a rhythm game mascot. Also, the owner of Hatsune Miku (Crypton Future media) did develop a few games on their own in the Hatsune Miku franchise such as the puzzle game on Switch and the VR game (they also do licenced games with Sega).

View attachment 371126
That would be Popeye.

View attachment 371128
View attachment 371129
View attachment 371130
View attachment 371131
View attachment 371132
View attachment 371133
View attachment 371134
Well Popeye is own by Warner bros today, so if anything he has way more chance in Multiversus and I highly doubt seeing him Smash would be possible.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Well Popeye is own by Warner bros today, so if anything he has way more chance in Multiversus and I highly doubt seeing him Smash would be possible.
:nerd:Hearst (through King Features) is 100% owner of the franchise/IP, Warner only owns the rights to the Fleischer and Famous Studios' cartoons via Turner Entertainment:nerd:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
That does remind me that we are long overdue for a public domain characters fighting game; Winnie the Pooh, Sherlock Holmes, Frankenstein's Monster, Robin Hood, Dorothy Gale, Flash Gordon, Dracula, Don Quixote, Little Nemo, & Merlin.

Top Bottom