• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I don't know if another Sonic rep will come because of how poorly the series is treated in Smash. Notably there's only one remix, and it's been there since Brawl. Notably Sonic is the only character in all of Smash Ultimate whose victory theme is ripped straight from another game. Sega themselves also appear to prefer representing their other IPs over adding another Sonic character, as shown when Bayonetta joined Smash 4 and Joker joined Ultimate.
Sonic was the only series to have two stages (before they added Sephiroth), his treatment isn't all that bad. Yeah, he needs a new Side B and maybe a few remixes, but people act like Sakurai ****ing hates Sonic and is only giving it crumbs.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Sonic was the only series to have two stages (before they added Sephiroth), his treatment isn't all that bad. Yeah, he needs a new Side B and maybe a few remixes, but people act like Sakurai ****ing hates Sonic and is only giving it crumbs.
He was also one of the only two third party characters in Brawl. Sonic has a ton of history with Nintendo and Mario. First as the mascot for Nintendo’s biggest rival console at the time and then tons of crossovers with Mario with the Olympic Games. I feel like Sonic is near the top of the list for third party franchises likely to get a second character.

That are literally the first zones of the first game and Lost World (the most forgettable Sonic game).
Please add something like Chemical Plant or even Pumpkin Hill for ****'s sake.
I really want Chemical Plant Zone. I feel like Smash has this problem in general, always defaulting to the intro stages or themes. Mario and Donkey Kong are two other glaring examples. It’s a shame because later stages can be so unique and interesting.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
It's absolutely ridiculous to suggest Waluigi has "nothing to work with" when he's been given a ton of things to work with over the years.
You call dual-wielding and swinging a tennis racket and golf club, throwing items from shells, bob-ombs and whatnot, creating tornadoes, summoning purple vines and using them as blockades or whips and swimming in clear air a moveset?
You call that a martial art.png

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
People need to consider that there's exterior circumstances that affect decisions.
The soundtrack selection is poor but we know that soundtracks can be a pain to sort out between rights and giving composers free reign to do what they want and the stage selection being just two Green Hills is an issue that's also unfortunately faced by other series in Smash including Mario as well. Seriously, take a look at how many Mario stages are/contain a World 1/Grassy Plain or Hub of some kind.

You call dual-wielding and swinging a tennis racket and golf club, throwing items from shells, bob-ombs and whatnot, creating tornadoes, summoning purple vines and using them as blockades or whips and swimming in clear air a moveset?
View attachment 371074
imageedit_2_6770950135.png

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Sonic and Megaman are series where i really want to see them get a second character

With Sonic it's weird because everyone in 2D Sonic plays the same so you could feasibly just make Tails, Shadow or Knuckles into echo fighters with minimal effort

Megaman is similar becuase Protoman and Bass would work perfectly as echoes but i would personally prefer to get a different rep from a diferent Megaman series like Zero or Megaman.EXE, something that represents how different the Megaman series can be as a whole compared to classic.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I really want Chemical Plant Zone. I feel like Smash has this problem in general, always defaulting to the intro stages or themes. Mario and Donkey Kong are two other glaring examples. It’s a shame because later stages can be so unique and interesting.
Maybe a hot take but the obligatory Breath of the Wild stage just taking place on top of a tower was rather disappointing. It's not even super fun to fight on once the top part breaks. They could've done way more interesting things, like a shrine interior.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Maybe a hot take but the obligatory Breath of the Wild stage just taking place on top of a tower was rather disappointing. It's not even super fun to fight on once the top part breaks. They could've done way more interesting things, like a shrine interior.
I feel that way about a lot of Ultimate stages. Too many are basically Battlefield variants with everything interesting happening in the background. I prefer stages that make you feel like you’re actually playing in the environment itself.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
apart from the power ups in 3d world and the new series. and all the stuff in all the spin offs
Are any of those specific to Toad or are they shared by all playable characters in those games? I’m not saying you can’t make an interesting moveset for Toad, just that he doesn’t have much that makes more him unique moveset wise than Waluigi.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
With Sonic it's weird because everyone in 2D Sonic plays the same so you could feasibly just make Tails, Shadow or Knuckles into echo fighters with minimal effort
My stance on Sonic getting a second character is one that changed dramatically when Sephiroth was revealed. Before then, I used to think that the only way any already-represented 3rd party franchise could get more than one fighter was via Echoes, as was the case with Ken and Richter. Something like Shadow as an Echo is still very much feasible, but something like Eggman as a unique character is just as valid (though I will admit Sephiroth’s reveal skewed me towards the latter).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Are any of those specific to Toad or are they shared by all playable characters in those games? I’m not saying you can’t make an interesting moveset for Toad, just that he doesn’t have much that makes more him unique moveset wise than Waluigi.
Let me put it this way: this is like saying you can’t have gengar cause mewtwo has shadow ball and greninja has shadow sneak

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Let me put it this way: this is like saying you can’t have gengar cause mewtwo has shadow ball and greninja has shadow sneak
I never said you couldn’t have Toad. It just seemed silly to me to knock Waluigi for lack of a unique moveset when Toad has the exact same issue.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I feel that way about a lot of Ultimate stages. Too many are basically Battlefield variants with everything interesting happening in the background. I prefer stages that make you feel like you’re actually playing in the environment itself.
lol true, it's to the point where I'm surprised they didn't just pick something based off the first world of Splatoon's story mode's aesthetic and call it a day for that game's stage. At least it means stages like Mementos and Northern Cave have unique platform layouts for when people wanna have less casual battles.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I'm trying to think, what would be a good symbol for the River City series? I'm thinking either the Kunio pose shown on the Technos Japan logo or the fiery meteor that's shown on River City Super Sports Challenge logo.

EDIT: The fiery meteor is actually the dodgeball symbol that's been on mostly the sports games every since Super Dodgeball. So that could work.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In absolute fairness to Toad, he is pretty heavily associated with power ups, and has been since Super Mario Bros. 3, where he was in charge of the item houses. Several power ups being mushrooms (like the Propeller Mushroom, for example, which also calls back to Toad's first platformer playable appearance since SMB2) also furthers the connections to Toad.

Back in the pre-Captain Toad days, the go-to Toad moveset plan as far as his specials was usually something along the lines of neutral special Ice Flower, up special Propeller Mushroom, side special Golden Mushroom (which, funny enough, would always work a lot like how Wonder Wing ended up working), and down special Vegetable Pluck that differed from Peach in terms of power and speed. The normals tended to be things like headbutts and spore attacks, and even summoning mushrooms like he does in Mario Sports Mix. Then there was always special emphasis placed on his throws, making him almost like a grappler.

Very similarly to how King K. Rool pretty much always had the same moveset idea in fan interpretations (save for down special, which varied), Toad was very similar in this regard. It wasn't until the rise of Captain Toad that it diverged from this a bit.

The 2011-2013 speculation period was a very different time.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
In absolute fairness to Toad, he is pretty heavily associated with power ups, and has been since Super Mario Bros. 3, where he was in charge of the item houses. Several power ups being mushrooms (like the Propeller Mushroom, for example, which also calls back to Toad's first platformer playable appearance since SMB2) also furthers the connections to Toad.

Back in the pre-Captain Toad days, the go-to Toad moveset plan as far as his specials was usually something along the lines of neutral special Ice Flower, up special Propeller Mushroom, side special Golden Mushroom (which, funny enough, would always work a lot like how Wonder Wing ended up working), and down special Vegetable Pluck that differed from Peach in terms of power and speed. The normals tended to be things like headbutts and spore attacks, and even summoning mushrooms like he does in Mario Sports Mix. Then there was always special emphasis placed on his throws, making him almost like a grappler.

Very similarly to how King K. Rool pretty much always had the same moveset idea in fan interpretations (save for down special, which varied), Toad was very similar in this regard. It wasn't until the rise of Captain Toad that it diverged from this a bit.

The 2011-2013 speculation period was a very different time.
Interesting. I never realized that there was a widely agreed upon Toad moveset at one point. You make a good case that Toad is specifically tied to power ups thanks to Mario 3. Perhaps Toad could lean into the various power ups from the mainline games while Waluigi focuses on representing elements from the sports and kart games. I always imagined that Toad, Toadette, and Captain Toad would all share a slot with a moveset that pulls from both the mainline games as well as Captain Toad.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Interesting. I never realized that there was a widely agreed upon Toad moveset at one point. You make a good case that Toad is specifically tied to power ups thanks to Mario 3. Perhaps Toad could lean into the various power ups from the mainline games while Waluigi focuses on representing elements from the sports and kart games. I always imagined that Toad, Toadette, and Captain Toad would all share a slot with a moveset that pulls from both the mainline games as well as Captain Toad.
Yeah, the context of the time period is fairly important imo. This was the post-Brawl pre-Villager-and-Mega-Man period where moveset design was fairly straightforward (with non-special projectiles being unheard of lmao) which led to some characters having sort of de-facto fan movesets. Some folks still had differing interpretations, but by and large a lot of them were incredibly similar.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Toad as always just depends on Peach losing Toad in her moveset
I don't think that's true, though. In the most technical sense, there is nothing stopping them from keeping Toad in Peach's moveset while still also having a playable Toad. And doing that actually makes a lot of sense since the Toads are a race; there is the one main Toad who would be playable and the Toads used in Peach's moveset would just be random Toads. Though it's not like it needs to make sense anyway since Smash allows mirror matches and playable Chrom alongside FS Chrom...
The Toads are indeed a pretty integral part of Peach so maybe the best-case scenario is having both playable Toad and Toad moves on Peach.

There is the issue of Sakurai potentially viewing Toad as best-suited to a supporting, non-playable role; if that is the case then it would indeed be something that would need to be overcome. But (1) afaik that's only unconfirmed suspicion and (2) we're in the era of greatest uncertainty over who will direct the future of Smash anyway...

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
I understand what you mean but that doesn't mean much if at all when both stages are Green Hill 1 and 2

View attachment 371074
Yeah. You say that as if we hadn't had wackier before. This is par for the course.

Moray Towers is actually disgusting man in Ultimate. Whlist fun to play in Splatoon 2, it definitely doesn't translate well into Smash. I just hope they stick to something like Inkopolis Plaza or Octo Valley.

Dracula Castle and New Donk are pretty good especially the former

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Moray Towers is actually disgusting man in Ultimate. Whlist fun to play in Splatoon 2, it definitely doesn't translate well into Smash. I just hope they stick to something like Inkopolis Plaza or Octo Valley.
Funny I find the reverse is true

Wasn’t any fun in 1 either

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think Moray Towers is a fun stage. It’s definitely not competitive but I’ve never really been to concerned with that. I appreciate the unique stage layout and wish we got more stages along those lines. I love stages with new layouts that aren’t overdone with crazy gimmicks like bosses.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So, SCCC 2 should go live relatively soon. The Pokemon Poll will go live around the same time. I had to split it from Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, and Mother because yall went crazy for the suggestions. Part 3 should launch article wise in Late May, with less of a delay between the articles.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I thought Great Plateau Tower was a great stage idea...
To be fair, I don't really have a problem with a simpler stage if it fits with the source.

I understand the request for a more involved BotW stage, though. I imagine we will be getting something from TOTK next time.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Megaman is similar becuase Protoman and Bass would work perfectly as echoes but i would personally prefer to get a different rep from a diferent Megaman series like Zero or Megaman.EXE, something that represents how different the Megaman series can be as a whole compared to classic.
I need Bass to be at least an Echo. I want all the Super Mario Crossover characters to be playable in Smash!

I never said you couldn’t have Toad. It just seemed silly to me to knock Waluigi for lack of a unique moveset when Toad has the exact same issue.
Toad at least has his own entire game.

Waluigi can call back after Waluigi's Wrecking Crew comes out.

I'm trying to think, what would be a good symbol for the River City series?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That's the deal with Smash stages always picking the most iconic early game stage. It's the one most players have already seen already through trailers or have gone to during their beginning hours of the game. It just so happens that for most games, that is usually a wide open green plains area.

Which is why they should put in characters from settings that are cool looking from the get-go!

Let's get an SMT character since the entire game is one giant blown out blasted apocalyptic Tokyo Japan... or the Howard Twins from Astral Chain where everything is the every neon future-city rolled into one.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
That's the deal with Smash stages always picking the most iconic early game stage. It's the one most players have already seen already through trailers or have gone to during their beginning hours of the game. It just so happens that for most games, that is usually a wide open green plains area.

Which is why they should put in characters from settings that are cool looking from the get-go!

Let's get an SMT character since the entire game is one giant blown out blasted apocalyptic Tokyo Japan... or the Howard Twins from Astral Chain where everything is the every neon future-city rolled into one.
Yeah, that’s totally understandable that if a franchise only gets one stage, it’s usually the intro stage. It’s when a single franchise starts getting multiple stages and all of them follow the same theme. Once we have one intro stage for a series, they should mix things up for the others. Having so many grassy hill areas for Mario and jungles for Donkey Kong gets kind of boring. Metroid has a similar issue where most of its stages are lava areas when the games have so many other interesting biomes.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, that’s totally understandable that if a franchise only gets one stage, it’s usually the intro stage. It’s when a single franchise starts getting multiple stages and all of them follow the same theme. Once we have one intro stage for a series, they should mix things up for the others. Having so many grassy hill areas for Mario and jungles for Donkey Kong gets kind of boring. Metroid has a similar issue where most of its stages are lava areas when the games have so many other interesting biomes.
at least some franchises avoided coming with their starting areas. megaman coming with his final level and kingdom hearts coming with it's penultimate world. then again hollow bastion does turn into the tutorial area so it has it both ways.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I feel like that's a side effect of bringing back virtually every stage. Previously, e very Smash game added a new Grassy Mario stage, Jungle DK stage, Lava Metroid stage, Pokemon Stadium, etc. because those are part of the base series' identity. It doesn't really matter that a previous Smash game had a simmilar stage, because retro stages were treated as something distinct, rare and separate from the normal ones. This perception started to change in Smash 4 and was completely broken in Ultimate, as more and more old stages came back and the repetition started to become an issue. Mushroom Kingdom, Mushroom Kingdom 2, Mushroomy Kingdom, Golden Plains, and Mushroom Kingdom 2 were never supposed to coexist - but they do now.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
On the subject of stages. How does everyone feel about really big stages? You know new pork city, great cave offensive etc. fun to play on or, at the risk of sounding like a ridley detractor, too big?

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
On the subject of stages. How does everyone feel about really big stages? You know new pork city, great cave offensive etc. fun to play on or, at the risk of sounding like a ridley detractor, too big?
I mean if you actually have the rare chance to play with 8 players (maybe even just 6) at once, they're super fun. Just not very useful otherwise, sadly.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think Hyrule Temple is the perfect size for a larger stage. Great Cave offensive and Palutena’s Temple are fun to play around on once in a while but I have a harder time seeing my character with how big the stages are. Palutena’s Temple also takes a bit too long to get a KO. I used to hate playing on New Pork City in Brawl because it was hard to see the platforms but it’s a lot better in Ultimate in my opinion. It’s cool to have a few giant stages like that but I think Hyrule Temple should be the default for larger stages.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I enjoyed the big stages when I played Ult. As Dan said, they're only good with about 6 to 8 players, but they can be very fun. Always been quite the Mario Bros. fan myself, and Windy Hill - despite it's dull theming - is absolutely great thanks to it's horizontality. Funnily enough, I probably find Temple to be one of the least fun - I think stages like this work best with ludicrous, unavoidable hazards to make damage rack up faster.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think Hyrule Temple is the perfect size for a larger stage. Great Cave offensive and Palutena’s Temple are fun to play around on once in a while but I have a harder time seeing my character with how big the stages are. Palutena’s Temple also takes a bit too long to get a KO. It’s cool to have a few giant stages like that but I think Hyrule Temple should be the default for larger stages.
I gotta agree with you there. It’s also the old favourite in my circle of friends, probably why I was grinning like an idiot when I first played as sora on it

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don’t know if it’s just my imagination but some returning stages feel smaller in Ultimate than they used to be. Fourside, in particular feels a lot smaller than I remember it being. It’s fully possible that my memory is just off though.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
On big stages you can just run away forever. Smash is already a game where it's tough to pin people down. Fun for casuals I guess. I play to win. So yeah if you pick a big stage, I'm just going to circle camp.

Edit; I feel like a lot of stages were competitive viable that aren't legal. This is literally the untoppable smash game in my eyes.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I don’t know if it’s just my imagination but some returning stages feel smaller in Ultimate than they used to be. Fourside, in particular feels a lot smaller than I remember it being. It’s fully possible that my memory is just off though.
Nah, stages like Corneria definitely feel smaller than they used to be. And speaking of, Cloud Sea of Alrest feels smaller than it should be. I know Azurda wasn’t as big of a Titan as the others, but even then, as a stage, he feels too small for even four players.

Top Bottom