• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Won't that only apply to the original comics, though? I know Mickey Mouse also enters the public domain next year, but it's only the first two shorts...
It aplies to most early works yes, so likely the original comics and maybe some of the Fletcher cartoons.

They’ve been in the public domain in other countries for many years now though, America’s copyright system is a cluster**** tho so it took awhile.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
is it expected that angry bird will be demanded way more in the next smah game as sega owns them now making it a big competitor with other sega reps?
i think we could all agree that Angry birds played by way alot of people that even more than most sega franchises including both persona and bayonetta it has a big target audience in a worldwide scale

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
is it expected that angry bird will be demanded way more in the next smah game as sega owns them now making it a big competitor with other sega reps?
i think we could all agree that Angry birds played by way alot of people that even more than most sega franchises including both persona and bayonetta it has a big target audience
I doubt that a Sega buyout will really change the demand for Angry Birds outside of a few people noting it as a novelty. Maybe if Sega pushes it hard in the next five or so years, but even then I doubt it. The more vocal parts of the Smash community trend hardcore anyway. Maybe the silent majority would want it more, but I think that it will not have a huge effect.
actually there is something I forgot to mention about Popeye
View attachment 371159
the copyright for him expires early next year and he will be transferred to the public domain
Copyright bull*%^& is still going to be an issue even if Popeye is in the public domain. Disney for instance has already been planning a work around for Mickey entering the public domain, I would not be shocked if any other companies follow suit with their IPs. I also highly doubt Nintendo is in a rush to poke the bear on copyright law considering how protective of they are of their own IP.

When stuff like Popeye enters the public domain, expect more Winnie The Pooh Blood and Honey type productions and less faithful adaptations.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Copyright bull*%^& is still going to be an issue even if Popeye is in the public domain. Disney for instance has already been planning a work around for Mickey entering the public domain, I would not be shocked if any other companies follow suit with their IPs. I also highly doubt Nintendo is in a rush to poke the bear on copyright law considering how protective of they are of their own IP.

When stuff like Popeye enters the public domain, expect more Winnie The Pooh Blood and Honey type productions and less faithful adaptations.
Yeah I just thought it was worth noting that he’d be in the public domain pretty soon since he already is in multiple other countries, chances are Nintendo probably wouldn’t be in a rush to secure it because there’s multiple other components involved.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
actually there is something I forgot to mention about Popeye
View attachment 371159
the copyright for him expires early next year and he will be transferred to the public domain
So basically if anyone wanted too we could get a cool arcade beat-em-up where Popeye beats people up streets of rage style.

I'm going to write this down to future reference.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
The only true exception to the non videogame rule

He's a game character from a non game ip lol
Then he's technically not an exception.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. But there are characters that blur the line. Characters from non-video game franchises that only appear in video games. Such as Revan or Cal Kestis in Star Wars or Android 21 in Dragon Ball. Should we consider these characters as possibilities? Or are they still off the table because they aren't from a video game franchise? I think they likely are off the table, maybe for the better, but it's interesting to think about and consider.
I think they still are off the table too.

The thing about Chase is that he did originate on a Nintendo console where it was published by Nintendo themselves and even featured references to the Mario series. Then there's also the Lego Super Mario theme going on. further showing how close Nintendo is to the Lego brand. So when you look at all that, when it comes to Smash, I say Chase would make way more sense compared to Android 21 or Cal or Raven, as they don't seem to have that same kind of Nintendo backing as he does.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
i think we could all agree that Angry birds played by way alot of people that even more than most sega franchises including both persona and bayonetta it has a big target audience in a worldwide scale
IMG-20211213-WA0017.png

I can't win, can I

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Me upon having this realization:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Were there any demand for the Angry Birds to be in Smash before? Because that would be quite an unusual turnaround if that happens now. And while Angry Birds may be a major franchise that's played by a lot of people, it's also going up against long running Japanese titles such as Shin Megami Tensei, which is a major franchise in its own right.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Were there any demand for the Angry Birds to be in Smash before? Because that would be quite an unusual turnaround if that happens now. And while Angry Birds may be a major franchise that's played by a lot of people, it's also going up against long running Japanese titles such as Shin Megami Tensei, which is a major franchise in its own right.
not much but i think its pretty much the same reason why there was not much for :ultbanjokazooie: before sm4sh simply people didnt think there was a chance before phil spencer spoke out and now people know sega bought angry birds i do expect that demand might grow alot by the next smash game announcement.

as for SMT compared to Angry Bird, SMT is literally ant sized because you are dealing one of the biggest games ever that reaches Minecraft level in terms of worldwide players thats why i do say in terms of the biggest gaming market that sega owns Sonic and Angry Birds are the biggest 2
Angry birds literally covers the mobile gaming market and almost the face of it for so many years and represent that era of video games and nintendo might want to cash on that now that they can simply reach out sega for it just like :ultsteve: thats why Angry Birds is currently the biggest deal if they go with another SEGA rep

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I feel like Angry Birds could work as a character if most or all of the birds were able to sort of "switch places" for specific attacks, or otherwise just had the Red Bird call upon the others to assist with specific attacks, similar to Pac-man summoning the ghosts or Zelda summoning the Phantom (even if that has more of a logical explanation by virtue of her magical power).

I could actually see them making for a really fun character if they were to go that direction, but if not, an Assist Trophy of at least one of the Birds would be pretty cool.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
demand being the keyword here and the answer is no, at least not to a noticeable degree.

The monetary size of a franchise does not necessarily equate to higher demand that a character from said franchise make it in as a smasher. One can see that from glancing at a list of top grossing videogame franchises and see how many of those games don't have significant push from their fans to be included in smash.

Moreover, a shift in the ownership of an IP doesn't do much to grow excitement for a character from there to be put into Smash to begin with, especially when that transferal of ownership isn't to Nintendo to begin with.

I don't expect quite literally anything to change in regards to what people want and what people expect.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It’s quite odd to come into a thread in the morning to see what everyone’s been talking about, seeing “mod removed content” and everybody freaking out over it. In short: what was that all about?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hey guys. Angry Birds is great and all and is now owned by Sega but do you know who would be great for Super Smash Bros. AND isn’t owned by Sega?

Raid: Shadow Legends!

Raid: Shadow Legends
is a mobile role-playing experience that lets players take control of just one out of countless colorful and uniquely designed characters. Battle your way through hordes of monsters and restore peace to the realm. Oh, wow! Look! My Black Knight just leveled up to level 20 and it took Gems to do! Anyways, Raid: Shadow Legends is a highly successful mobile experience with a 4.7/5 gold star rating on Apple Store! When you think of a character to add to Super Smash Bros., don’t go vanilla like a spear-wielding marshmallow or a anime swordsman of the month. With a plethora of characters to choose from, the stars are the limit for Raid: Shadow Legends!

This ad was paid for by Plarium Games/Aristocrat Leisure Limited.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Hey guys. Angry Birds is great and all and is now owned by Sega but do you know who would be great for Super Smash Bros. AND isn’t owned by Sega?

Raid: Shadow Legends!

Raid: Shadow Legends
is a mobile role-playing experience that lets players take control of just one out of countless colorful and uniquely designed characters. Battle your way through hordes of monsters and restore peace to the realm. Oh, wow! Look! My Black Knight just leveled up to level 20 and it took Gems to do! Anyways, Raid: Shadow Legends is a highly successful mobile experience with a 4.7/5 gold star rating on Apple Store! When you think of a character to add to Super Smash Bros., don’t go vanilla like a spear-wielding marshmallow or a anime swordsman of the month. With a plethora of characters to choose from, the stars are the limit for Raid: Shadow Legends!

This ad was paid for by Plarium Games/Aristocrat Leisure Limited.
Let's not kid ourselves, if Raid got bought out by Sega, we'd be talking about that, too...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
With the resurgence of arcade style Beat em Ups in recent years, I think it would be cool to see at least one represented in Smash. There are a lot of great options to choose from with River City, Double Dragon, Final Fight, Streets of Rage, Battletoads, and more. I feel like all of these games have characters that would fit great in Smash depending on the priorities. For example, I believe River City was the first breakout hit in the genre so it would make a lot of sense for that reason. Mike Haggar might be the most widely recognized Beat em Up character so he could make sense too. The Battletoads are the most unique in both design and moveset so they’d be great despite not quite having the same general popularity as the others mentioned.

Who do you think would/should be our first rep for the genre and who do you personally want to see? I’ve mentioned before that my personal most wanted are the Battletoads but I think any of these are great options. My super long shot dream are the TMNT but we’d have to see a big shift in design philosophy for any character originating from outside gaming to make it.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
My personal choice would be Axel or Blaze from Streets of Rage (if only for the soundtrack). Moreover the general weirdness of SOR (fighting a weird alien looking creature in a haunted house, enemies with jetpacks, cyborgs becoming common, and a playable boxing kangaroo) just feels like it fits in with the out there contrasts in Smash Bros.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My personal choice would be Axel or Blaze from Streets of Rage (if only for the soundtrack). Moreover the general weirdness of SOR (fighting a weird alien looking creature in a haunted house, enemies with jetpacks, cyborgs becoming common, and a playable boxing kangaroo) just feels like it fits in with the out there contrasts in Smash Bros.
Yeah, the only SoR game I played was 4 but I had a lot of fun with it. That game had a great soundtrack and a lot of interesting characters that would be cool to see. My favorite character is probably Estel followed by Floyd but neither are particularly likely compared to Axel or Blaze. Blaze is also great so I’d be happy with her. We could use more tough female characters in Smash imo.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
not much but i think its pretty much the same reason why there was not much for :ultbanjokazooie: before sm4sh simply people didnt think there was a chance before phil spencer spoke out and now people know sega bought angry birds i do expect that demand might grow alot by the next smash game announcement.

as for SMT compared to Angry Bird, SMT is literally ant sized because you are dealing one of the biggest games ever that reaches Minecraft level in terms of worldwide players thats why i do say in terms of the biggest gaming market that sega owns Sonic and Angry Birds are the biggest 2
Angry birds literally covers the mobile gaming market and almost the face of it for so many years and represent that era of video games and nintendo might want to cash on that now that they can simply reach out sega for it just like :ultsteve: thats why Angry Birds is currently the biggest deal if they go with another SEGA rep
Honestly I don't think the size of Angry birds really matters if there's not a big request for the characters in Smash and they have a hard time coming up with a moveset. For example, the first Microsoft rep was Banjo despite Minecraft and Halo being way bigger franchise. Also to give another hypothetical example, I'm pretty sure if Activision would have a rep in Smash, it would be Crash Bandicoot, not a Call of duty, Warcraft or Candy crush rep.

Even with Rovio, I still think the most likely characters as future Sega rep would be either a second Sonic characters, an SMT rep or Arle from Puyo puyo. You could probably make a case for a Virtua fighter rep, Ichiban Kasuga, Axel Stone or Sakura Shinguji too before Angry birds imo.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The thing is Smash could probably get about as much attention/press if there was an Angry Birds assist trophy or stage. A character would be significant sure, but Rovio and company popping up in a Smash direct in the former fashion is still going to trend and be a viral headline to a degree.

Stratos

Smash Ace
With The Super Mario Bros. Movie being such a hit, some fans are expecting a Mario Cinematic Universe or a Nintendo Cinematic Universe, and I've also read rumors that because of that, some from Nintendo, Illumination, and Universal Pictures want to do it. If there are third-party characters then it will be Super Smash Bros. Cinematic Universe.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
With The Super Mario Bros. Movie being such a hit, some fans are expecting a Mario Cinematic Universe or a Nintendo Cinematic Universe, and I've also read rumors that because of that, some from Nintendo, Illumination, and Universal Pictures want to do it.
The trend chasing continues

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I've hit edit to add one more thing, but what do you mean by what you write?
Ever since the mcu really took off loads of studios have been trying to get their own cinematic universe off the ground, in other words it’s the current trend they’re all chasing. The movie industry goes through its trends just like the gaming industry.

Top Bottom