• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I Generally think less Franchises means MORE Variety Think about it!
I mean lets say you had a big franchise and sakurai wants a character from it in Smash you would obviously pick the main guy or gal right?
And that robs us of Silly Octopi Spitting stones, Evil Mages and Crazy Unhinged Flowers (Eventho frisk is really unique but anyways) The More Franchises are involved with smash at a time the Less Diffrent types of characters can be represnted! That why i caution on Some peoples obsession with getting more and more franchises involved especially with how many want a Reboot which in my opinion would only work with like atleaset 50 Nintendo Characters playable!
Whats your opinion on this?

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
He's a cute little penguin who froze his head in a block of ice. And it's funny when you see them in the water on the overworld just casually floating along with their ice block head above water.

It's a silly little creature/10.
And then he thaws and I'm like
20220521_144025.jpg

I thi

I think I just have weird tastes lol. As far as Pokémon, my favorites per Gen are:

Gengar/Electabuzz/Kabutops
Gligar/Houndoom/Sneasel
Zangoose/Seviper/Deoxys Attack
Lucario/Gliscor/Toxicroak
Cofagrigus/Kyurem/Zoroark
Clawitzer/Dragalge/Malamar
Golisopod/Lycanroc Midnight/Necrozma
Orbeetle/Corviknight/Toxtricity
H Zoroark/Sneasler
Lokix/Ceruledge/Great Tusk
No Annihilape for gen 9!? 😭😭😭

Oracle Link

Smash Master
BTW the weirdest thing about sans in smash would be this:
it would be super out of character for him to go full Genocide Gasterblaster mode as hes you know Lazy?
Also having the undertale rep being from the Evil Route Would be like having possesed Queen Ripple from Kirby Okay maybe thats extreme Still...
I mean Frisk is the main Protag while Flowey is the main Antagonist and the fun gang is another great choice i think sans should be a assist Trophy or a you know Mii costume somebody really should do that as a mod (Wink)

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
The difference between Rayman and the Bethesda miis are that the latter was DLC. It might not be character DLC, but it was still a separate purchase that Bethesda probably received a good chunk of the profits. As for Rathalos, Capcom was already in the base game - it doesn't change anything if they throw in another boss (and it's the same situation as Bethesda for the miis). Aside from the spirits, Ubisoft has nothing in base Ult - which is what leaves me curious.

I don't think it's Nintendo that particularly wants Rayman in Smash, I think it's Ubisoft. They agreed to these spirits, and the trophies in 4, just because they wanted him in the game at all. If Sakurai had a bit more time, why not just go ahead and do it, making Ubisoft and his decently sized overseas fanbase happy. The reason he hasn't been DLC is because of his Japanese irrelevance, it would be a hard sell. He's really base game or nothing, one of the few third parties I think is in that situation.

(Also, for the record, I do not care about Rayman at all. I've never played one of his games.)
You're either missing the whole point or being straight up obtuse. If Nintendo have been wanting minecraft in smash since 2015, then explain how and why did they not choose him when there were 3 different opportunities to pick him. Just saying "oh if base had double the roster space he would def make it" already speaks volumes about how you truly feel about his chances.
And guess what, sometimes companies are fine with jpegs being included without any further representation. There's no deep conspiracy behind it.

And now ubisoft doesn't want rayman in smash?? What are you even arguing about at this point? That they opened up their entire portfolio with other more successful titles to smash, but somehow their half-dead IP is more of a sacred cow?

Source gaming poll in 2020:
View attachment 366912

Source gaming poll 2022
View attachment 366913

Global smash roster (even with TF2 at the top the rest still accurately represent popular requests)
View attachment 366914

There's more but I ain't gonna list every single one

I ignored your two other points cause it's been explained the last few pages that the IP is being used right now for things so that doesn't make it dead.

Japan popularity is the only valid argument against him really I'll give ya that. But plenty of "rules" have been broken in smash so I'll never consided it a death sentence. He ticks every other box for character requirements other than that.

But that's getting off topic. My whole point is that the argument that he isn't a big request has been false for a looooong time now. People can hate him idc but when they start spouting false stuff then thats lame.
That's very cool and all, but unless you're trying to imply that the entirely of smash audience only consists of source gaming people, this is as valid as picking any rando poll and saying it's enough.
And yes, if the IP isn't used its dead till something new happens, especially if its been 10 years since legends. Pretending Ubisoft have some secret plan to bring rayman to the forefront of gaming is, well vastly optimistic to the point of absurdity.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I Generally think less Franchises means MORE Variety Think about it!
I mean lets say you had a big franchise and sakurai wants a character from it in Smash you would obviously pick the main guy or gal right?
And that robs us of Silly Octopi Spitting stones, Evil Mages and Crazy Unhinged Flowers (Eventho frisk is really unique but anyways) The More Franchises are involved with smash at a time the Less Diffrent types of characters can be represnted! That why i caution on Some peoples obsession with getting more and more franchises involved especially with how many want a Reboot which in my opinion would only work with like atleaset 50 Nintendo Characters playable!
Whats your opinion on this?
I think you have a point. But all they really need to do is have more deep cuts from older AND newer franchises. It's easier to do it with less franchises, but not impossible with more unlikely as that is.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
That's very cool and all, but unless you're trying to imply that the entirely of smash audience only consists of source gaming people, this is as valid as picking any rando poll and saying it's enough.
And yes, if the IP isn't used its dead till something new happens, especially if its been 10 years since legends. Pretending Ubisoft have some secret plan to bring rayman to the forefront of gaming is, well vastly optimistic to the point of absurdity.
I didn't only do source gaming and you know it lol.

It's obvious that you just don't like the character so you're coping by making up rules on why my examples don't count and ignoring the fact he's coming back in Mario Rabbids.

Like I've said before people don't have to like him and he's definitely not a lock, but making stuff up to downplay it is illogical. I've already proved my points so I won't try any further to change your mind.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm still half-hoping that Smash can take a Smash vs. Capcom or some other company approach.

That will better allow for deep cuts from both company and franchises rather than just surface cuts of main characters.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I'm still half-hoping that Smash can take a Smash vs. Capcom or some other company approach.

That will better allow for deep cuts from both company and franchises rather than just surface cuts of main characters.
So like strictly Nintendo vs Capcom? Or would it still have a few like sonic and Pac?

Quillion

Smash Hero
So like strictly Nintendo vs Capcom? Or would it still have a few like sonic and Pac?
Eh, just keep Sonic around. Maybe Bayonetta since Nintendo has a stake in her. Marvel vs Capcom 1 had an OC based on a popular Japanese stand-up at one point.

But I wouldn't mind them being gone either.

It will be like Project X Zone hwere there will not be any Cereal Mascot Scrimblos.
Y'know, giving the PXZ sprites over to some FG company and telling them to make something out of it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I’m in the same boat but with Nintendo vs. Microsoft. I love the third parties we have like Sephiroth but this would be an interesting new direction to separate it from Ultimate. I don’t even really care about X-Box or Microsoft as a company but they own (or soon will) a lot of my favorite IP. Plus the thought of two huge console developers going head to head would be an awesome thing to see.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I’m in the same boat but with Nintendo vs. Microsoft. I love the third parties we have like Sephiroth but this would be an interesting new direction to separate it from Ultimate. I don’t even really care about X-Box or Microsoft as a company but they own (or soon will) a lot of my favorite IP. Plus the thought of two huge console developers going head to head would be an awesome thing to see.
Capcom's way out in front for this purpose though, both because most of their properties are homegrown and their own history of crossovers.

And yeah, Square Enix isn't a bad idea either. Smash vs Squeenix would be full of both old characters like Crono and new stars like 2B.

Smash vs Capcom would be inevitably full of Street Fighter characters and Smash vs Squeenix full of Final Fantasy characters, but perhaps even that's a good thing with deeper cuts.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Glad no one mentions Nintendo vs Konami, since DreamMix TV exists.
I know Konami has Metal Gear, Castlevania, and Silent Hill at minimum and Bomberman as an acquisition. What else do they have that's fighter-worthy?

What about Nintendo vs Namco?
Tekken, Pac-Man and other retro arcade games, Soulcalibur, Tales, Dark Souls and Elden Ring... wouldn't be a bad idea.

Plus, it could unite Shulk and Pythra with Kos-Mos.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I know Konami has Metal Gear, Castlevania, and Silent Hill at minimum and Bomberman as an acquisition. What else do they have that's fighter-worthy?

Tekken, Pac-Man and other retro arcade games, Soulcalibur, Tales, Dark Souls and Elden Ring... wouldn't be a bad idea.

Contra is a big one for Konami. I’d love to see Bill Rizer in Smash at some point.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

In order to bring Sora back, Sakurai had no choice but to make Nintendo VS Disney.

Jake Sully is the most broken character in smash history

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Digimon, SRW, Klonoa, Katamari.

Bamco has tons of original characters that are great but would never get to smash.

Yeah, he’s the main protagonist from Xenogears.

View attachment 366929
Man, i want Nintendo, Square and Bamco to collab on some kind of "Xeno warriors" game.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not that I’m aware of. Why, is there something wrong with his name?
i'm not sure but it sounds like it might be racist. hence why i wondered if people complained. not that i wish to declare what's offensive to races i'm not part of

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Square just doesnt really care about Xenogears, that's why the Xeno series is the only franchise on the planet that doesn't nostalgia pander to the first entry
Persona doesn’t either. You almost never hear anything about the first two Persona games but 3-5 get a lot of attention. I haven’t played the first two either, just an observation.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Persona doesn’t either. You almost never hear anything about the first two Persona games but 3-5 get a lot of attention. I haven’t played the first two either, just an observation.
Kind of like Fallout 3 and any of the games after that.

Though that's probably cause neither fallout 1 or 2 even hit 1 million units sold, and then fallout 3 alone hit a whopping lifetime sales of 12 million.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
We’d still be missing Fei Fong Wong though.
Fei was a character I really wanted for PlayStation All-Stars. That would have been so cool to see.

i'm not sure but it sounds like it might be racist. hence why i wondered if people complained. not that i wish to declare what's offensive to races i'm not part of
It's not racist. It's a reference to Wong Fei-hung, as Fei is created to be a Chinese martial arts-style character.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Smash vs Capcom would be inevitably full of Street Fighter characters and Smash vs Squeenix full of Final Fantasy characters, but perhaps even that's a good thing with deeper cuts.
looks at Marvel vs Capcom 3 which only had 4 Street Fighter characters out of 25 Capcom characters and Marvel vs Capcom Infinite which only had 2 Street Fighter characters out of 17 Capcom characters

And no, Hagger is Final Fight. Especially when he has never been playable in a Street Fighter game, compared to some of the others like Cody, Guy, Maki, Rolento, etc.
Contra, Gradius, Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja, Suikoden, Sparkster/Rocket Knight, Boktai, Twinbee, Zone of the Enders, Frogger, Getsu Fuma Den, Parodius, Salamander, Sunset Riders, Mystic Warriors, Rumble Roses, Vandal Hearts(not to be confused with Valiant Hearts), Power Pro Baseball, Otomedius and the Konami Wai Wai World series. On the Hudson side, there's also Adventure Island, Bonk the Caveman, Star Soldier, Bloody Roar, Neutopia and Momotaro Densetsu.
If you're want to go for some more wackyness or want some franchises for stages, extras and whatnot, I guess there's also Tokimeki Memorial, LovePlus, Elebits, Dance Dance Revolution and Beatmania for Konami as well. And.....I guess to some degree, there would be Yugioh, the elephant in the room for Konami. Since they do make the Yu-Gi-Oh OCG/TCG.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
She's a sports-friendly version of FF1 White Mage, but surely there has to be any of the other white mages with names before her.
There's actually nothing about the Mario Sports designs of the FF1 characters that denotes sports in anyway. I'd describe them as more...Kingdom Hearts-ified.

And they'd all make perfect Miis. White and Black Mage as Mii Mages and Ninja as a Mii Swordsman.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Contra, Gradius, Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja, Suikoden, Sparkster/Rocket Knight, Boktai, Twinbee, Zone of the Enders, Frogger, Getsu Fuma Den, Parodius, Salamander, Sunset Riders, Mystic Warriors, Rumble Roses, Vandal Hearts(not to be confused with Valiant Hearts), Power Pro Baseball, Otomedius and the Konami Wai Wai World series. On the Hudson side, there's also Adventure Island, Bonk the Caveman, Star Soldier, Bloody Roar, Neutopia and Momotaro Densetsu.
If you're want to go for some more wackyness or want some franchises for stages, extras and whatnot, I guess there's also Tokimeki Memorial, LovePlus, Elebits, Dance Dance Revolution and Beatmania for Konami as well.
And that's just their original IPs.
If we go with their licensed games catalog?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, G.I. Joe, Wild West C.O.W.Boys of Moo Mesa, The Simpsons, The Goonies, Batman (both Tim Burton and the Animated Series), Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs, Glee, Death Note, Pyū to Fuku! Jaguar, Shaman King, Hunter X Hunter, Dino de Laurentis' King Kong, Astro Boy, The Grinch, Woody Woodpecker, Weekly Shonen Sunday, Weekly Shonen Magazine, Zen: the Intergalactic Ninja, The Lone Ranger, The Mummy; AND THAT'S JUST THE STARTING POINT!

Last edited:
Top Bottom