• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
And then there's me, the one weird guy who wants Ragna the Bloodedge.

remembers the Blazblue creator left ArcSys awhile back

Like THAT'S ever gonna happen...
While I’m probably late, Sol and Ragna would be so cool because that would get us an insane amount of Daisuke Music. They’re my most wanted for a reason.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Among others...

View attachment 366732

While I was pulling that out of my Smash image folder, I found this old chestnut. Maybe some of you want to fill out your own.

Nintendo: Isaac (Golden Sun), Bubbles (Clu Clu Land)
Bandai Namco: Mitsurugi (Soul Calibur)
Capcom: Arthur (Ghosts n' Goblins)
Sega: ---
Atlus: Nahobino (Shin Megami Tensei)
Konami: Bill and Lance (Contra)
Microsoft: Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark)
SNK: Athena (Psycho Soldier)
Square-Enix: Crono (Chrono Trigger)
Platinum: Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101)
Ubisoft: Rayman (Rayman)
Koei Tecmo: Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Bethesda: Doom Slayer (Doom)
Activision: Crash Bandicoot (Crash)
Arc System Works: Billy and Jimmy (Double Dragon), Kunio and Riki (River City)
Blizzard: ---
Sony: ---
Valve: ---
Indie: Shovel Knight
Other: Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Yuji Naka will plan to call his minions to enforce his wicked plans.

Fortunately he will be unable to due to all phones requiring more than one button to use.
That's where you're mistaken. He was actually behind the development of the modern cellphone, which has no tactile buttons to fit his sacred rule, so he could contract his willing peons. Need proof? Yuji Naka. Who else has a J in their name? Steve Jobs.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
That's where you're mistaken. He was actually behind the development of the modern cellphone, which has no tactile buttons to fit his sacred rule, so he could contract his willing peons. Need proof? Yuji Naka. Who else has a J in their name? Steve Jobs.
gasp

And I'm pretty sure he worked on mobile games for a bit, too! He's been planning this from the start!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
every time i catch up on this thread in the morning i feel more confused than when encountering a severely hammered weeb

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
In fairness, until Naka's eventual trial/sentencing, I don't think he'll be brought up that much.

Well except for those that want Farmer Ted for Smash 6:

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So one personal observation both here and outside of here: I truly think Crash has cemented himself as a top request. Obviously, I could be wrong, but he seems to have kept all his momentum coming from Smash Ultimate speculation. I don’t think we will ever have a Sonic or Mega Man situation where one third party is head and shoulders the favorite, especially with how open speculation is now. But with how widespread Crash support is now, I think so long as the Crash ship is steady he will be a top seed for Smash speculation.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
So one personal observation both here and outside of here: I truly think Crash has cemented himself as a top request. Obviously, I could be wrong, but he seems to have kept all his momentum coming from Smash Ultimate speculation. I don’t think we will ever have a Sonic or Mega Man situation where one third party is head and shoulders the favorite, especially with how open speculation is now. But with how widespread Crash support is now, I think so long as the Crash ship is steady he will be a top seed for Smash speculation.
The combination of Crash being revitalized in the past 5 years and him being the last major platforming mascot not in Smash has given some long lasting momentum, even if the next SSB is some ways off.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Watch me be completely wrong but i wouldnt be surprised if the next smash game's base game third party newcomers were Crash and Lloyd.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Among others...

View attachment 366732

While I was pulling that out of my Smash image folder, I found this old chestnut. Maybe some of you want to fill out your own.

Nintendo: Raven Beak
Bandai Namco: Agumon
Capcom: Phoenix Wright
Sega: Tails or Eggman
Atlus: Nahobino
Konami: Bill (Lancer will be like Alph)
Microsoft: Master Chief
SNK: Haohmaru
Square-Enix: 2B
Platinum: Wonder Red
Ubisoft: Rayman
Koei Tecmo: Ryu Hayabusa
Bethesda: Doom Slayer
Activision: Crash Bandicoot
Arc System Works: Sol Badguy
Blizzard: Arthas Menethil
Sony: Kratos
Valve: Scout
Indie: Reimu
Other: Travis Touchdown

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
him being the last major platforming mascot not in Smash.
vep6x3.jpg

Get what ya mean since he is way more known and requested but they're still both technically the last majorly requested platformers (not in Japan but then again besides crash I don't think there's any platformers really requested there). After that I don't think Spyro, klonoa, or anyone really pops up much. Dixie a lil but pales compared to these two lads.

Bomberman is a decently high one but does he count as a platformer?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
...Honestly you're right, I completely spaced on Rayman. I think him getting a trophy in Smash 4 unconciously had me thinking he was somehow already in Smash as a character. So yeah Crash and Rayman are the last two, albeit with the former having more notable high profile releases as of late.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
...Honestly you're right, I completely spaced on Rayman. I think him getting a trophy in Smash 4 unconciously had me thinking he was somehow already in Smash as a character. So yeah Crash and Rayman are the last two, albeit with the former having more notable high profile releases as of late.
Haha I was joking with the sad reaction image but I feel ya. There's plenty of characters in space sometimes like Lloyd or Dante.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just wanna say, the way Alear does pushups in FE Engage is terrible form. No wonder they got 35% strength growth.

Moving along, FE Engage is a cute game, looks and plays good, but the story really lacka debt, especially coming from Three Houses.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Rayman and Crash seem like a 1, 2, Punch that could happen next Smash like with Mega Man and PAC-MAN in Smash 4. Seems like those 2 together would make similar waves.
I think that if Ultimate had about double the number base newcomers, we might have gotten Rayman. He and Shantae were the only two third party series to receive only spirits in the base game, an it's weird that a big company like Ubisoft would agree to such a small presence in the game unless at least one of the parties involved really want him in the game. This is the second smash game in a row this has happened! Unfortunately for him, I feel like his obscurity in Japan is the reason he hasn't been DLC, it would be a tough sell. If the series is doing well by the time the next game comes around... I would say he's the second most likely third party behind a Deltarune character. An idea I've had is a Smash Direct revealing Rayman and a character with lopsided popularity the other way, so someone like Reimu. The reveals would swap order based on which region you're viewing the direct in, with the less popular character being revealed at the start of the direct and the more popular one being at the end. I don't know if it would work, but it would be a fun experiment if nothing else.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I think that if Ultimate had about double the number base newcomers, we might have gotten Rayman. He and Shantae were the only two third party series to receive only spirits in the base game, an it's weird that a big company like Ubisoft would agree to such a small presence in the game unless at least one of the parties involved really want him in the game. This is the second smash game in a row this has happened! Unfortunately for him, I feel like his obscurity in Japan is the reason he hasn't been DLC, it would be a tough sell. If the series is doing well by the time the next game comes around... I would say he's the second most likely third party behind a Deltarune character. An idea I've had is a Smash Direct revealing Rayman and a character with lopsided popularity the other way, so someone like Reimu. The reveals would swap order based on which region you're viewing the direct in, with the less popular character being revealed at the start of the direct and the more popular one being at the end. I don't know if it would work, but it would be a fun experiment if nothing else.
Ignoring Ubisoft's "expectations" for sparks of hope, I hope it does decent over in Japan like the last game and that they dip into the dlc and learn more about the lad.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I totally agree with you. I also think that if the Activision deal goes through, him being technically a Microsoft characters will actually boost his chances by a lot (assuming that Phil Spencer is still CEO of Xbox).

Watch me be completely wrong but i wouldnt be surprised if the next smash game's base game third party newcomers were Crash and Lloyd.
My problem with Lloyd is that at this point his game is starting to get very old. I know that he still have a huge dedicated fanbase, but if there's only 2 spots for third party in base game, I'm not sure they would really choose Lloyd. Personally if I had to guess, I think they would add Crash Bandicoot + either Leon or Jill from Resident evil (or maybe both with one of them being echo similar to Simon and Richter).Resident evil has been going very strong in the last years, and Village has push the popularity of the franchise to new heights.

If the series is doing well by the time the next game comes around... I would say he's the second most likely third party behind a Deltarune character.
I would be shocked if Rayman gets a new game by the time the next Smash comes. I'm sorry but imo Rayman chances has never been his low, even Ubisoft doesn't really seems to care that much about the character anymore.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If it's like the DK DLC from the first game this barely counts.

My problem with Lloyd is that at this point his game is starting to get very old. I know that he still have a huge dedicated fanbase, but if there's only 2 spots for third party in base game, I'm not sure they would really choose Lloyd. Personally if I had to guess, I think they would add Crash Bandicoot + either Leon or Jill from Resident evil (or maybe both with one of them being echo similar to Simon and Richter).Resident evil has been going very strong in the last years, and Village has push the popularity of the franchise to new heights.
Fair point.

Small counterpoint,he is one of the most popular protagonists in the series and his game is getting re-released this year on basically every console, so he's getting a bit more exposure in current year.

Plus he and Geno are the only third party characters from the Brawl era of speculation who haven't been made Playable and we know Geno isn't happening but there's still a shot for Lloyd.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
That's a dlc not a game. If they cared this much about him he would be playable in base game. The fact that he's not going to interact with the Mario cast in the dlc just show that either Nintendo or Ubisoft have a problem with the character.
If they had a problem with him they wouldn't even let him in at all and would have opted for them to push one of their other IPs. That's a weird way of moving the goal post.

"If it's like the DK DLC from the first game this barely counts."

It's still them using the character for a selling point for substantial DLC. It counts as relevancey and that they haven't abandoned the character. People don't have to like him but there's no need to pretend this isn't something substantial lol

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
If they had a problem with him they wouldn't even let him in at all and would have opted for them to push one of their other IPs. That's a weird way of moving the goal post.
How am I moving the goal post? I said I would be shocked if he had a new game and you show me a screenshot of a dlc. Like Hadokeyblade said, this like arguing that DK had a new game because he was in the DK adventure. And besides, this would have been a cool opportunity to have Rayman finally meet Mario, which is something that fans wanted to see for a long time, but the dlc will not even do that.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
How am I moving the goal post? I said I would be shocked if he had a new game and you show me a screenshot of a dlc. Like Hadokeyblade said, this like arguing that DK had a new game because he was in the DK adventure. And besides, this would have been a cool opportunity to have Rayman finally meet Mario, which is something that fans wanted to see for a long time, but the dlc will not even do that.
It's moving the goal post of saying Nintendo and Ubisoft have no interest in the IP which is false. It also hasn't been confirmed if he'll at least meet Mario or not.

The fact both parties are letting it happen objectively shows they still have interest in the IP, otherwise it wouldn't happen at all. That's my point. As for a new game? I mean idk, maybe there will be, maybe there won't.

So yeah my whole point was about them caring about the IP not about new games. Should have cleared that up

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I just wanna say, the way Alear does pushups in FE Engage is terrible form. No wonder they got 35% strength growth.

Moving along, FE Engage is a cute game, looks and plays good, but the story really lacka debt, especially coming from Three Houses.
That does seem to be the biggest criticism towards Engage. Then again, some people were clearly expecting Three Houses 2, so maybe it's not ENTIRELY the game's fault...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You weren't. It's a misreading.

"even Ubisoft doesn't really seems to care that much about the character anymore." is being misread as "doesn't care about the character at all".

It's an honest error. It's easy to look at anything negative and read it a lot worse than you thought you did. Rayman is barely getting any usage here, and our only precedent is that it'll amount to nothing but maybe some neat ports. I would hope he could break out of the Rabbids' shadows and continue his franchise again, but not even the Rabbids are getting much new stuff either. Both characters overall aren't doing so hot.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mean the DLC is a big deal regardless of whether we think so or not. It’s one of the few ideas that Milan threw at Nintendo and didn’t get an outright no. It shows that even if most of Ubisoft doesn’t care about Rayman, Nintendo, for some reason does.

I doubt it’s really coincidence that a majority of Rayman’s recent tie’s have been to Nintendo consoles or Nintendo in general really.

Aside from that looking at things like an exclusive Assassin’s Creed Collection on Switch, Star Fox basically having their own game within a game in Starlink, or even Nintendo being the only console developer that got exclusive costumes in Rayman Legends. They got a healthy relationship with Nintendo.

I dunno. It seems weird to say that the DLC doesn’t count. It’sone of Mario’s only crossover games and Rayman is in it. I feel like every character that wasn’t a Rabbid or Mario means they are greatly important.

That’s not to say that Crash doesn’t have the fact that he’s literally been in a game with DK and Bowser either. That should count as well.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I would be shocked if Rayman gets a new game by the time the next Smash comes. I'm sorry but imo Rayman chances has never been his low, even Ubisoft doesn't really seems to care that much about the character anymore.
The convenient thing for Rayman is that his series is a platformer. Regardless of if it's 2D or 3D, platformers are much easier and quicker to develop than Assassins' Creed or Beyond Good and Evil or what have you. It wouldn't be that hard for someone in the company to be "you know what I think we're gonna do another Rayman" and just do it. Ubisoft Montipeller, the guys who have been doing the series, aren't really up to much (beyond the perpetual hell of Good and Evil 2), so it's not impossible that they decide to crank out a Rayman or something in the meantime. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if an indie dev reached out to Ubisoft and asked "hey can we do a Rayman" Ubi would at least consider it.

There are also rumors that the company might... cease to exist soon, which might lead to some other company gobbling up the rights and deciding to do something with it. I'd say there's about a 50/50 we get something Rayman by 2025, which is when I expect the next Smash to start full development.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I mean the DLC is a big deal regardless of whether we think so or not. It’s one of the few ideas that Milan threw at Nintendo and didn’t get an outright no. It shows that even if most of Ubisoft doesn’t care about Rayman, Nintendo, for some reason does.

I doubt it’s really coincidence that a majority of Rayman’s recent tie’s have been to Nintendo consoles or Nintendo in general really.

Aside from that looking at things like an exclusive Assassin’s Creed Collection on Switch, Star Fox basically having their own game within a game in Starlink, or even Nintendo being the only console developer that got exclusive costumes in Rayman Legends. They got a healthy relationship with Nintendo.

I dunno. It seems weird to say that the DLC doesn’t count. It’sone of Mario’s only crossover games and Rayman is in it. I feel like every character that wasn’t a Rabbid or Mario means they are greatly important.
I've posted it twice here now but the game's director said in an interview that Nintendo shot down a lot of the teams ideas for sparks of hope so they were just as protective with Mario as ever, so agreeing to let Rayman show up in a Mario game bodes well no matter how ya cut it.

I feel some will cherry pick it and try to paint it as unmeaningful cause they have other characters they prefer. It's fine to not give a damn about the limbless lad but we can't pretend this doesn't boost relevancy or bode well for the IP in general.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've posted it twice here now but the game's director said in an interview that Nintendo shot down a lot of the teams ideas for sparks of hope so they were just as protective with Mario as ever, so agreeing to let Rayman show up in a Mario game bodes well no matter how ya cut it.

I feel some will cherry pick it and try to paint it as unmeaningful cause they have other characters they prefer. It's fine to not give a damn about the limbless lad but we can't pretend this doesn't boost relevancy or bode well for the IP in general.
I think it's more that it doesn't suddenly help his presence in Japan become way larger, which is part of the issue.

It also doesn't necessarily mean he'll start getting new games where our only related examples are DK who got none after.

Basically, people are pessimistic due to a precedent set by the previous DLC; whoever is in it doesn't have their presence changed(in other words, they don't suddenly get a new game or anything like that). It's a big deal in a sense of Rayman being used, but there's no results that show this usage will amount to anything.

This isn't saying optimism is blind either. It's absolutely great in this situation, and I'm glad to see it gives the fans something fun to talk about. I do, as I said before, hope it leads to great things.

To say the least, I'm raising an eyebrow at it because there's not enough reason for me to believe it'll definitely help his situation. But I think it's plausible. I'm not highly optimistic, but I'm not outright pessimistic either.

I hope this helps explains why some aren't jumping at the idea being "definitely good". :)

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I think it's more that it doesn't suddenly help his presence in Japan become way larger, which is part of the issue.

It also doesn't necessarily mean he'll start getting new games where our only related examples are DK who got none after.

Basically, people are pessimistic due to a precedent set by the previous DLC; whoever is in it doesn't have their presence changed(in other words, they don't suddenly get a new game or anything like that). It's a big deal in a sense of Rayman being used, but there's no results that show this usage will amount to anything.

This isn't saying optimism is blind either. It's absolutely great in this situation, and I'm glad to see it gives the fans something fun to talk about. I do, as I said before, hope it leads to great things.

To say the least, I'm raising an eyebrow at it because there's not enough reason for me to believe it'll definitely help his situation. But I think it's plausible. I'm not highly optimistic, but I'm not outright pessimistic either.

I hope this helps explains why some aren't jumping at the idea being "definitely good". :)
As for getting new games? Slightly agree, you can compare that to DK a lil.

As for smash? It definitely helps because its making him relevant again, and shows Nintendo has some interest in the IP

When it comes to smash you can't really compare DK DLC with Rayman DLC, because DK was in smash since the very beginning so obviously there's obviously no connection or point.

As for Japan? It's too early to know. I don't expect a massive spike of interest for him. But if the game does well over there with people interested in DLC, it could definitely make Japanese players more aware of his existence

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As for getting new games? Slightly agree, you can compare that to DK a lil.

As for smash? It definitely helps because its making him relevant again, and shows Nintendo has some interest in the IP

When it comes to smash you can't really compare DK DLC with Rayman DLC, because DK was in smash since the very beginning so obviously there's obviously no connection or point.

As for Japan? It's too early to know. I don't expect a massive spike of interest for him. But if the game does well over there with people interested in DLC, it could definitely make Japanese players more aware of his existence
It's more DK's franchise didn't get anything to begin with(did it even get ports since then? I might be off on that). That's a big reason why it is hard for people to be optimistic since the evidence shows another side of the story. DKC at most could've gotten some DLC spirits or a character when it comes to Smash. Rayman is in Smash, just not playable, so overall speaking, while the situation isn't the same, they aren't that off in the long run. The original Mario + Rabbids did get content in Smash, though, so I can also see that suggesting that Rayman has a fair reason to get something in the next Smash. I don't think it inherently puts him higher on the plausibility of playable, but I do think the relevance, as you said, helps to some degree.

But yeah, true, Nintendo has had some interest. Sadly Ubisoft barely has in comparison. We'll have to see what happens.

Also, to be fair, I don't think the user was directly comparing DK DLC and Rayman DLC specifically to Smash itself. But moreso to how it helps the franchise. I could've misread it too, but eh. Either way, good luck. :)

Top Bottom